• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joss Whedon is nearing a deal to write, direct, and produce a Batgirl pic for WB

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Barbara is low 20's I wonder how Naomi Scott(Pink Ranger in the 2017 movie) would look with red hair.
power-rangers-images-naomi-scott.jpg

a916

Well... don't say DC ain't trying.

Courting some big names...

Though I'm really not a fan of this turning into the Batman Extended Universe...

Well... don't say DC ain't trying.

Courting some big names...

Though I'm really not a fan of this turning into the Batman Extended Universe...

I'm not a fan of it, but I don't think anyone's surprised. Batman is WB / DC's bread and butter. If Justice League fails then they'll just rely on him and his supporting cast for a while.

Busty

Banned
A savage, savage turn of events. But the fact that this has come together in just the last month is the most interesting thing.

WB already had a writer working on a Birds Of Prey script so has that been paused with this potentially leading up to it?

As I said before I'd heard Warners were going full steam ahead on a Teen Titans feature and then suddenly there's a Nightwing film in the offing.

So maybe they now want to build up to these ensembles Marvel style or they want to have a Batman cinematic universe within the DCU itself.

Talk about a fast moving situation. Fascinating stuff.

Renpatsu

What I find most fascinating is how Whedon will adapt a Batgirl film within the confines of the current DCEU. Does the bleak cynicism that seems to inform the fabric of the films thus far bleed into his work or does he introduce a rock of open positivity that stands against that seemingly unrelenting current? Does the world depicted stand in such stark contrast that it inadvertantly contradicts previous films conception of society?

So yeah, put me down as someone interested to see if this film ripples through the DCEU or if sinks into their grim house style.

Boke1879

What I find most fascinating is how Whedon will adapt a Batgirl film within the confines of the current DCEU. Does the bleak cynicism that seems to inform the fabric of the films thus far bleed into his work or does he introduce a rock of open positivity that stands against that seemingly unrelenting current? Does the world depicted stand in such stark contrast that it inadvertantly contradicts previous films conception of society?

So yeah, put me down as someone interested to see if this film ripples through the DCEU or if sinks into their grim house style.

It can be any movie they want. Look at WW doesn't look anything like SS or BvS. These solo adventures can be their own thing.

inky

It will be full Killing Joke Barbs. Zack Snyder presents, Joss Whedon's Batgirl. A side of him you never knew existed.

26fe7535e6yuuxj.jpg

- J - D -

Joss Whedon wrote the foreword to Identity Crisis, so we already know he's very much into the grim & cynical stuff. He'll just throw in some jokes.

Joss Whedon said:
”Make it dark, make it grim, make it tough, but then, for the love of God, tell a joke."

DCEU might actually be a better fit for him than the MCU.

Violet_0

Banned
correct me if I'm wrong but this doesn't really sound like a Firefly reboot or has anything to do with Firefly at all, as far as I can tell

ReiGun

beli.png

Not a big fan of Batgirl (except for the gawdess Stephanie Brown) or Whedon, but the streets gon love it, I'm sure.

JimiNutz

Banned
Good idea.
They should fuck the rest of the DCEU for now and at least get Batman and the rest of the Bat-Family and Rogue gallery firmly established on screen. There's enough diversity in the Batman universe alone to do a Batman Cinematic Universe.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
My Josh has gotten a lot of shit lately cus of Ultron, which I like almost as much as the first, so I'm all for this.

Since this is a Wedon film, and Batgirl has been written super lighthearted, this feels like the first movie in the DCU that would have to be extremely different than the rest.

Busty

Banned
I could see WB wanting to bring in a J-Law or Emma Stone for this. Whoever the biggest actress in the world is at the time is surely in their crosshairs.

It could be a newcomer in the titular role but I have a feeling that Warners going full on 'go big or go home' mode for this.

If it's Summer Glau it'll get canceled

It's a film.

?????

Tace

I'm pumped. I'd follow Whedon anywhere. The man created Buffy.

Though I would kill to get him to do a Spider-Man movie. Think of the quips

A-V-B

I could see WB wanting to bring in a J-Law or Emma Stone for this. Whoever the biggest actress in the world is at the time is surely in their crosshairs.

Can Emma Stone still play a high schooler? Hasn't she moved a bit past that now?

... Not a bad idea.

I haven't had a chance to see the new PR movie yet, but I hear she and the other actors do a good job performance wise, right?
Yes the cast was so good it legitimately made the movie, i'd even say its great completely based on the cast.
I'd like to see every one of them getting decent roles.

I appreciate these posts being next to each other.
Naomi Scott is part Indian.

It could be a newcomer in the titular role but I have a feeling that Warners going full on 'go big or go home' mode for this.

WB is proud to announce that they have cast Margot Robbie in the key role of Barbara Gord-*is handed multiple cards from offstage*
what's that? *mumbling* ...I said the wrong white girl?!

It's a film.

?????

Summer will find a way

I like both Marvel and DC comics but I can't help but feel some degree of... well, I wouldn't say schadenfreude. You know what I mean, though. The hypocrisy from the DC movie fans is gonna be amazing.

It's gonna be the other way around too no doubt. A bunch of whedon/avengers fans all of a sudden shitting on this because of the logo in the opening.

I'm of two minds about this. Fucking awesome that DC is going forward with batgirl. They seem to be leading the charge with women comic characters in a big way on film right now.

But Joss Whedon...scust. I guess he's a good fit for this after Buffy but maaaan I hope he's reined in a bit.

Hopefully Snyder sticks around to rein in Whedon's sillier tendencies. Also, someone get him a competent DP.

yes. Whedon has had a very competent DP before though and he still fucked it up. WB aint gonna play that shit though.

guek

Banned
HO-LEEE SHIT out of friggen nowhere!!

Disco is probably cursing at the sky as rain and thunder envelope him. Goddamn this make me excited for the DCEU for the first time ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom