• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ju-on: The Grudge

Status
Not open for further replies.

SD-Ness

Heard about this Japanese horror movie last night. Anyone have info on it?

ju_on.jpg

Gregory

Banned
It has some good scary scenes, but overall it just doesn`t hang together very well.

I`d say it`s worth a watch though.

Flynn

It's not as bad as they say.

Ju-On: The Grudge is the third in series.

Apparently the first two films tell the stories of the ghosts that haunt the third.

The film succeeds in repeating the leisurely paced, mood driven scares that Nikata's original Ring delivered, without the strong, well realized story.

In fact, Ju-on is so disjointed that it confuses quite a few people.

I think it works on a purely emotional level.

But then, I dig being left without much to grasp onto. Kurasawa's Chaos is one of my favorite Japanese horror films.

There's an American re-make coming out directed by the same guy and starring Sarah Michelle Gellar. At least I think it's a remake, same director, same title... similar concept. The trailer for the new one is on Apple's site.

Flynn

The American version is Sam Raimi produced, directed by the original director and shot on location in Japan with a mostly Japanese cast.

It should retain the vibe.

shuri

Banned
And the sequel is actually quite fucking good. A tv crew is doing a documentary about the house and all the stuff that happened in the first movie. It's quite a mindfuck of a movie

fart

Savant
if you search you will find an identical post in an identical thread by me stating that i am looking forward to this film

Sorry, anyone who's familiar with Japanese cinema, or Asian cinema in general knows that 99% of Japanese horror films are really bad.

shuri

Banned
Indeed. 99% of their cinema is awful. But the 1% is usually elite. And while i'm on the subject, tomorrow i'll be seeing Takeshi Miike's One missed call at Fantasia Festival in downtown Montreal. Its obviously a very mainstream effort from that nutjob, but the buzz has been pretty good.

Flynn

shuri said:
Indeed. 99% of their cinema is awful. But the 1% is usually elite. And while i'm on the subject, tomorrow i'll be seeing Takeshi Miike's One missed call at Fantasia Festival in downtown Montreal. Its obviously a very mainstream effort from that nutjob, but the buzz has been pretty good.

It's incredibly mainstream. I'll be curious to see what you think.

I really dug his remake of Graveyard of Honor.

Flynn

FortNinety said:
Sorry, anyone who's familiar with Japanese cinema, or Asian cinema in general knows that 99% of Japanese horror films are really bad.

Anyone who's familiar with horror films knows that 99% of horror films are really bad.

Flynn said:
It's incredibly mainstream. I'll be curious to see what you think.

I really dug his remake of Graveyard of Honor.

Well anything by Miike is worth checking out. I can't wait for Izo.

Also, if you want a REALLY good Japanese horror flick, check out Kiyoshi Kurosawa's Cure.

Flynn

FortNinety said:
Well anything by Miike is worth checking out. I can't wait for Izo.

Also, if you want a REALLY good Japanese horror flick, check out Kiyoshi Kurosawa's Cure.

And Pulse!

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Just saw this movie. Waste of 90 minutes. Should I bother watching the sequel or is it just same-o?

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Wario64 said:
Just saw this movie. Waste of 90 minutes. Should I bother watching the sequel or is it just same-o?

I thought the sequel was worst than the original. It is the same kind of thing. A few good, memorable scenes mixed in with no real plot to hold it all together. The original seemed scarier, or maybe it's because it was the first time I'd seen the scary white kid and the floating long-haired ghost, etc. With repeated exposure, the scare factor goes down significantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom