• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Judas, the new game from Ken Levine

Grooving Dancing GIF

Edit....I hope the 'r' you removed from forever (foreve) is a legit mistake and not a way to weasel out....lol

If it is a mistake, get a mod in here. This man is standing on business...lol

Last edited:
I can't believe this game's original announcement flew over my head. I had no idea Ghost Story Games even had something tangible and was still in dev hell. I really am hopeful that it can be what he wants, but the idea itself seems way too ambitious. But who knows, the advancements in procgen and a.i. could very well make a lot of the concepts a reality in a very real way.

Last edited:

FeralEcho

Could it be a trailer for the Xbox direct? Very soon should mean like a week tops.Hopefully it looks amazing,I trust in whatever Ken does though.Bioshock is still one of my favourite fps's.

Lunarorbit

Looking forward to this. Bioshock, prey, and dishonored all the way. Been waiting on system shock.

Can't wait to see who gets banned

So Ken Levine cratered irrational to make BioShock again? He must’ve been extremely unhappy with his entire studio crew.
It's actually the opposite. He cratered Irrational because he didn't want to make any more BioShock and, more than that, he didn't want anyone else to make more BioShock. His stated intention was to make new and different games. It was only after wallowing in obscurity for 10 years that he must've realized he needed money and decided to go back to the only thing he's known for.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I forgot about this one with how swamped 2023 was.

I expect an early 2025 release.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
It's actually the opposite. He cratered Irrational because he didn't want to make any more BioShock and, more than that, he didn't want anyone else to make more BioShock. His stated intention was to make new and different games. It was only after wallowing in obscurity for 10 years that he must've realized he needed money and decided to go back to the only thing he's known for.

He's been working on Judas for ~10 years. Your narrative is a little off.

He's been working on Judas for ~10 years. Your narrative is a little off.
BioShock Infinite came out in 2013. You're saying he has been working on Judas all this time? I don't buy that for a second. He said in interviews around the time he shut down Irrational that he wanted to make different types of games. If what you're saying is true, then he torched Irrational and closed the door on the BioShock series to immediately make "We have BioShock at home"? Doubtful.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
BioShock Infinite came out in 2013. You're saying he has been working on Judas all this time? I don't buy that for a second. He said in interviews around the time he shut down Irrational that he wanted to make different types of games. If what you're saying is true, then he torched Irrational and closed the door on the BioShock series to immediately make "We have BioShock at home"? Doubtful.

Yeah, he talked about making a game about "narrative legos" pretty soon after Bioshock Infinite.

Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite did not explore "narrative legos" so you're wrong in calling Judas a Bioshock copy.

Yeah, he talked about making a game about "narrative legos" pretty soon after Bioshock Infinite.

Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite did not explore "narrative legos" so you're wrong in calling Judas a Bioshock copy.
This next statement is not a knock against you. This is a knock against Ken Levine.

What the fuck are narrative Legos? Is he just making shit up like Hideo Kojima and the "Strand-like" genre?

Regardless, how can someone look at that trailer and not see the BioShock similarities, especially knowing Ken Levine is in charge?

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
What the fuck are narrative Legos? Is he just making shit up like Hideo Kojima and the "Strand-like" genre?
I don't know. We'll see when the game launches.

Regardless, how can someone look at that trailer and not see the BioShock similarities, especially knowing Ken Levine is in charge?
The art direction is similar but we don't know how it plays yet. I assume the "narrative legos" component is integral to the gameplay.

BlackTron

I think that by "legos" we should be reading into the building block aspect of it. Some sort of analogy.

Not that I know what the hell he means but I wouldn't take it too literally.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Narrative Legos seems to mean that the game's story is constructed by small chunks that can be rearranged by players in a large number of different ways in order to create very different results.

Perhaps it's something like those old activities where you were given premade comic book panels, each depicting a scene, then you decided on their order and filled in the text bubbles to make sense of it all.
That's my guess.

Importantly, it has little to do with gameplay, so the fact this appears to play like another Bioshock doesn't mean much.

FeralEcho

This next statement is not a knock against you. This is a knock against Ken Levine.

I think most visionary directors have a huff of the smell my own farts jar from time to time that they spew stuff like this but after how many contributions they had in the industry I think we can allow them that much.They've yet to swing and miss.

So are we expecting "very soon" in like 2 and a half hours?

near

Gold Member
Big announcement is coming very soon :)
It's been in development for years, it was formally announced 2 years ago, we've had no updates since. 'An announcement is due soon', would be a rational assumption to make without insider knowledge. Either elaborate on what 'soon' means, or shut the fuck up with all due respect. Any Dick, Tom and Harry can claim insider knowledge, the onus is on you to preface your information so we can substantiate it.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
It's been in development for years, it was formally announced 2 years ago, we've had no updates since. 'An announcement is due soon', would be a rational assumption to make without insider knowledge. Either elaborate on what 'soon' means, or shut the fuck up with all due respect. Any Dick, Tom and Harry can claim insider knowledge, the onus is on you to preface your information so we can substantiate it.

Knockout Today GIF

Kurakasis

Neo Member
I don't know the exact day when it's going to happen. All I know is that they have been gearing up for this announcement since early January, so I guess it shouldn't take long for them to reveal it to the public.

It's possible that they might be waiting for an event like State of Play, but this is just a guess.

If it's so easy to predict, then tell me about some other game without any info since 2022 that you think will have a big announcement in the next 30 days.

I can also say that the mobile version of Rust is in development, and Level Infinite (Tencent company) is involved in this project. This is going to be announced this year.

Ubisoft's Heroes game as well.

I can even tell you that there is an unannounced movie from a big media entertainment company with the title ending 'in the Yard,' and it's planned for 2024. I'm not going to give the full title as it's too specific, and I don't want any problems from this company.

✌️

Top Bottom