• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Judas | Preview Thread

sigmaZ

Wow looks interesting. "Rouge-like."
Tv Land Reaction GIF by #Impastor

SJRB

Gold Member
I'm not gonna sit through a 2,5 hour interview or a 1,5 hour preview to see some footage of this videogame.

GymWolf

A game can be both immsim and roguelike. Prey mooncrash is an example. This is not going to be like those simplistic indie rogue likes. It's going to have persistent large levels. The only thing unknown is whether it's immsim
I like my immersive sims experience to be a classic one like dishonored.

Never played mooncrash.

But i'm gonna keep an eye on this one.

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member
dont know why the hell there isnt a game made for that movie, but Cyberpunk 2077 is the closest thing and probably owes the writers and director a fat check.
Ghost in the shell manga came out in 1989 in Japan, Cyberpunk pen and paper rpg came out 1988 in the US.
Both owe a lot to post golden age sci fi authors, particularly William Gibson and his book Neuromancer.

Ghost in the shell had a lot of vg adaptations like stand alone complex, i don't think any was very good.

"Bioshock in Space"

So, um ... System Shock?

"System shock underwater, in space"

Last edited:

Regginator

I'm so thirsty for a new BioShock and immersive sims in general that I'm interested in this purely based on just Levine's name, but I'm not gonna lie, if there's one thing that can deflate my enthusiasm in a game, it's "rogue-like". Deliberately not watching any videos or whatever in case this turns out actually good, but from the time being I'll just see it when it gets here.

jwaxeman

I like Ken.

But damn if he doesn't just make the same game every time lol
Look, Bioshock is still an incredible shooter. Infinite was flawed but ambitious especially for its time. You can imagine if it had the tech and time to pull off the open world design it aimed for, it could have been something landmark (but fair enough because they didn't achieve that).

And to be fair, this is really the third game of this scope he's led, as I don't count Bioshock 2.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
"Rogue like"

Sylvester Stallone Facepalm GIF

I trust in Ken Levine, but yeah, this hit me like a bucket of cold water

It’s a procedurally generated roguelite… :/

So not an immersive sims uh?

Lost almost all the interest i had.

Rouguelike randomly generated, might as well throw in survival sim shit to really chase them Gen Z bucks. I'm out.

>roguelike
>randomly generated
yeah no fuck that shit, whole game looks like toy land, and i don't mean just graphically but also art and design wise. maybe the story and atmosphere will make it interesting, will see.

Roguelite with procedurally generated levels

disappointed-sad.gif
The Hades revolution and its consequences have been a disaster for the handcrafted level design industry.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Gamers: Why is AAA so risk averse and boring?

Judas exists.

Gamers: No, not like that!
Making a roguelike is quite possibly one of the most risk averse genres and it has ballooned to bring the template design for 50% of the indie projects that have released post 2020. Like, we have way too many of them now, to such an extent where God of war has its own roguelite mode.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Making a roguelike is quite possibly one of the most risk averse genres and it has ballooned to bring the template design for 50% of the indie projects that have released post 2020. Like, we have way too many of them now, to such an extent where God of war has its own roguelite mode.

There's 0 AAA roguelites in existence. Being the first is a big risk. I also think SP suffers mightily from a lack of consequences for the player.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Roguelike/Roguelite indie ≠ Roguelike elements in a AAA game

This context is so obvious we shouldn't even need to spell it out.

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
Lots of ignorant takes in this thread.

I wished some of you guys would take the time to sit in and listen to the IGN interview before spitting out some of the horseshit that you've said.

This is like Death Stranding all over again: "oH, iS iT A rOgUeLiKE? iM OuT".

samoilaaa

Gamers: Why is AAA so risk averse and boring?

Judas exists.

Gamers: No, not like that!
its funny because most of these "gamers" that say omg roguelike , omg precedurally generated , game will be trash , i bet they didnt even listen to 10 min of the interview

they just read a couple of words from a summary and think they know how the game will be

its sad that people arnt smarter than that

Eiknarf

Banned
Seeing it’s in first person, as long as they make the melee hits feel real, I’ll be OK. Replaying the orig Bioshock, the hits aren’t as tangible as, say, the current Dead Island 2.

Hugare

Lots of ignorant takes in this thread.

I wished some of you guys would take the time to sit in and listen to the IGN interview before spitting out some of the horseshit that you've said.

This is like Death Stranding all over again: "oH, iS iT A rOgUeLiKE? iM OuT".
Sorry for doubting about this game success when the best immersive sims from the past have been made with meticulously level design in mind.

In words, what he says is amazing. But creating an experience of the likes of Bioshock, System Shock or Dishonored II with a system that randomly pulls the best level suitable for you on the go?

Right now,

Meryl Streep Doubt GIF

Would love to be proven wrong tho

So because there isnt official AAA roguelite games, this is somehow going to be something different just because its AAA lol...whats the difference between Indie and AAA, like higher budget...rougelite is gonna be roguelite, nothing new here. Also, what is Returnal then if not AAA roguelite? Control? No thanks to the procedural BS versus actual quality writing. Yes I did watch the whole interview and it sounded same as BS Kojima was giving about his "stranding gameplay" thats gonna be something new in gaming. Nobody implemented it because...it was already in games, its a FedEx simulator. Any time a developer says they gonna make something never before seen, can only roll my eyes thanks to amazing successes from John Romero & Peter Molyneux with their "visionary new gamep;ay".

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Roguelite?

Ya… we finna wait on reviews and impressions for sure.

I lose interest fast in the genre because I feel like I’m just lighting my time on fire.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Worried about 2 things...

1. All the combat so far is "We put 1 or 2 enemies twenty feet in front of your face." That combat geography is boring AF.

2. The player choice may end up playing like a Choose Your Own Adventure book. Do you want to go upstairs in the attic or downstairs in the basement? Oh, you chose the basement? There was a monster hiding there and you died. I think the player needs to have degrees of certainty about their choices. Survival games do this great. Not sure if heavy narrative games can do it.

Last edited:

EDMIX

"This game doesn't look as good or graphically sexy as other games, thus will be bad and will play bad" - some dumbass probably

Top Bottom