• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June 2008 NPD Sales Data

indie85

Banned
Pureauthor said:
If he honestly believes that, then he's got issues. If he's posting to get a rise out of people, it's trolling. It's not my call to make, nor am I interested in making it.
Because its blasphemy to challenge the mighty Wii throne right? Anyone who touches that sacred ground either has issues or is trolling right?

Jesus....

jay

Riddick said:
I consider posts that are written only to insult a member as trolling. Maybe we have different standards for trolling.

You are right. I enjoy reading most of the smart sales age guys posts but some of them are far too mean.

This is not sarcasm. I'm serious.

indie85 said:
Because its blasphemy to challenge the mighty Wii throne right? Anyone who touches that sacred ground either has issues or is trolling right?

Jesus....

To be fair, would you take me seriously if I told you one of the main reasons the PS3 won't do well is because it's a scam?

Vinci

Danish
BishopLamont said:
bu-bu-bu-but the adoption rates!!

bu-bu-bu-but the quality of the video!!

I loved when Tretton - was it Tretton? - said that digital download wasn't a danger to Blu-Ray because the 'quality of digital' wasn't as high. I mean, Malstrom is dramatic in his comments, but he clearly said they'd think that even when it's been proven time and again that nothing beats convenience in consumers' minds. Trying for the 'highest' or the 'best' is not necessarily guaranteed to dominate - in fact, it largely doesn't - when something beats your product in sheer convenience. It's convenient to stick with DVD, and it'll be more convenient to rent downloads than it will to collect discs that take up space. Quality be damned.

TomServo

polyh3dron said:
Buying movies in 1080p that actually take advantage of your HDTV is something that'll never catch on, amirite?

It'll eventually replace DVD as the physical media of choice, the point in contention is if physical media will be as dominant as it was in the DVD era.

Like most people, I want physical media for the stuff I own, but also like most people I rent most of the stuff I watch, and for that I'd rather buy an HD-on-demand movie from my cable provider or use the streaming NetFlix / 360 service than go to Blockbuster or wait for a physical disk to arrive in the mail.

Arde5643 said:
At this point I think the argument for adoption rates for BluRay is becoming the attach rate of the HD consoles.
You know I was thinking the exact same thing when I posted that.

Riddick said:
I consider posts that are written only to insult a member as trolling. Maybe we have different standards for trolling.
Trolling is posting in a topic you have no interest or knowledge in just to stir up the people who are interested.

indie85 said:

Jesus....
You can't "challenge the mighty Wii" with hopes and dreams instead of actual sales data and trends.

indie85 said:

Jesus....

No, because your argument in support of your theory simply doesn't work. If little Jimmy really hated the Wii so much after playing it, word of mouth would have spread, and console sales would have shown a decline.

That hasn't happened. The rate of Wii sales have increased. People may not have very sophisticated views on what's a good product or not, but they generally know when they're enjoying something, and when they're not. Sales of Wiis show people (a) enjoy the product and (b) are willing to spread the word that this is a good product.

amtentori said:
Why did DVD take so long to become fully adopted?

Because switching is disliked, costs money, and you probably have to renew your collection.

Why did it eventually become adopted?

Because it is a very obviously superior format.

Lasts longer, better quality, better setup, smaller, etc, etc, etc

Can you argue the same for bluray?

Blu ray is higher definition + more space. More space is usually worthless except for movies who take up more than 1 DVD. (bonus features are worthless) Higher definition is good, but i dont think its a big enough factor now and probably will never be a huge deal.

Blu ray will never reach DVD status....its not big enough of a leap, DVD is too strong atm and DIGITAL DOWNLOADS are the future.

:lol

This would be too easy to tear apart.

Cheez-It

jeremy_ricci said:
:lol

This would be too easy to tear apart.

I love how you bothered to type this without actually... you know, going the easy route and tearing it apart.

Why don't you go ahead and do that?

Deku

Banned
TomServo said:
It'll eventually replace DVD as the physical media of choice, the point in contention is if physical media will be as dominant as it was in the DVD era.

Like most people, I want physical media for the stuff I own, but also like most people I rent most of the stuff I watch, and for that I'd rather buy an HD-on-demand movie from my cable provider or use the streaming NetFlix / 360 service than go to Blockbuster or wait for a physical disk to arrive in the mail.

I really don't think this will happen at all. For another 5-10 years, DVDs will coexist with BluRay with DVDs being the clear favorite.

Blu Ray will slowly gain acceptance but it may never replace DVDs. And I'm not going to even attempt to predict what might happen in 5 years. But this isn't like VHS to DVD transition at all. DVD is here to stay.

Arde5643

jay said:
You are right. I enjoy reading most of the smart sales age guys posts but some of them are far too mean.
Look, I don't usually attack dumb posters right of the bat.
I mean I believe in protecting free speech and all the consequences that come along with that.

However, when someone posts really asinine and stupid posts, and keeps getting corrected politely by other posters, and yet still insists on ignoring all the facts/information given to him to continue posting even more asinine and stupid posts, that's where I think the whole free speech thing should be reined a bit.

Basically, I like free speech and all, but I think it should be a bit limited to the really truly dumb and really truly ignoramous.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Even when the Playstation Family has a good month shit still hits the fan.

Wouldn't it be especially because the PS family had a good month that said fecal matter comes into high-velocity contact with said cooling device?

Basically, I like free speech and all, but I think it should be a bit limited to the really truly dumb and really truly ignoramous.

So basically you want free speech except when it irritates and annoys you.

Arde5643

Pureauthor said:
So basically you want free speech except when it lowers my intelligence.
Fixed.

Uhh, what were we talking about currently in topic now again?
jeremy_ricci said:
Just because YOU don't think so, and YOU want to compare this to the LAST 'format war'...means nothing.

Folks wanted to compare Blu-Ray to beta max. Failed. Wanted to compare the Wii to the Gamecube. Failed. PS3 to PS2. Failed. PS3 to 3DO. Failed. PSP to Gamegear. Failed.

History teaches us jackshit about the electronics industry.
Oh, right - this. sigh...

Vinci said:
bu-bu-bu-but the quality of the video!!

I loved when Tretton - was it Tretton? - said that digital download wasn't a danger to Blu-Ray because the 'quality of digital' wasn't as high. I mean, Malstrom is dramatic in his comments, but he clearly said they'd think that even when it's been proven time and again that nothing beats convenience in consumers' minds. Trying for the 'highest' or the 'best' is not necessarily guaranteed to dominate - in fact, it largely doesn't - when something beats your product in sheer convenience. It's convenient to stick with DVD, and it'll be more convenient to rent downloads than it will to collect discs that take up space. Quality be damned.

When digital downloads start coming with Subtitles in multiple languages, multiple audio channels with different languages, additional features, and the ability to skip around chapters, then it will have a chance to become a truely successful format.

Unfortunately, Blu-Ray offers all of the functionality of DVD, the ability to upscale DVD, better video, better audio, BD-Live features for new players (offering readily available content via network connection). You don't have to replace your collection, as it's instantly improved, and you can continue to build on a new collection.

The move from DVD to Blu-Ray is nothing like the move from VHS to DVD. Backwards compatibility, the increase in adoption of HD sets, and the (inevitable) dropping prices of Blu-Ray players will make it a new standard in due time.

Just because YOU don't think so, and YOU want to compare this to the LAST 'format war'...means nothing.

Folks wanted to compare Blu-Ray to beta max. Failed. Wanted to compare the Wii to the Gamecube. Failed. PS3 to PS2. Failed. PS3 to 3DO. Failed. PSP to Gamegear. Failed.

jeremy_ricci said:
When digital downloads start coming with Subtitles in multiple languages, multiple audio channels with different languages, additional features, and the ability to skip around chapters, then it will have a chance to become a truely successful format.

Unfortunately, Blu-Ray offers all of the functionality of DVD, the ability to upscale DVD, better video, better audio, BD-Live features for new players (offering readily available content via network connection). You don't have to replace your collection, as it's instantly improved, and you can continue to build on a new collection.

The move from DVD to Blu-Ray is nothing like the move from VHS to DVD. Backwards compatibility, the increase in adoption of HD sets, and the (inevitable) dropping prices of Blu-Ray players will make it a new standard in due time.

You didn't know AC sold more then any of your HD "big" games and yet you're sitting here telling us about history?

jeremy_ricci said:

See, see, this is the problem right here. Of those issues you listed, how many of these are convenience issues? 1, perhaps, the BD-live.

Blu Ray to betamax - 'comparisons' involved people who didn't do research simply saying that Sony never succeeds at formats, ignoring the fact that Blu Ray had the backing of the majority of significant studios.

Wii to the Gamecube - comparisons based on what? Anyone with two brain cells to rub together quickly realized that the aspect in which the two were most similar (hardware strength) was the aspect which really didn't matter in selling the hardware.

PS2 to PS3 - once again, people with little regard for causality simply said 'Playstation wins.' without even bothering to regard the massive difference in pricing, perception, and all the other flak Sony drew on themselves with the PS3. Not to mention the positioning of the competition - PS2 faced a stumbling DC, a LTTP GCN from a Nintendo that really didn't have much idea what they wanted to be, and a newcomer MS. The PS3 faced a focused, reenergized Nintendo who knew their goal and how best to reach it, as well as a X360 that had gotten a year's head start and was fully exploiting it.

PS3 to 3DO - Both are overpriced failures on the market because they read the market wrong. PS3 has several noteworthy advantages that the 3DO doesn't have, which is why it's performing better.

PSP to Gamegear - Comparisons based on what? I've never seen many PSP vs. Gamegear arguments - most people have accepted that the PSP's successes (and failures) are something all of its own.

'K then, what should we use to learn about the electronics industry? Leaving aside the fact that videogames is an entertainment industry...

Vinci

Danish
jeremy_ricci said:

Then why is Microsoft making a deal with Netflix? Then why is Sony already going the download route? It's not because they think it's a waste of time. It's because it's convenient. Anyone who has ever worked in sales knows that a customer's convenience is more important than anything else, unless they're just swimming in money and can make inconvenient things more convenient by throwing their checkbook at it. But for mainstream shoppers? Convenience is key.

Deku

Banned
jeremy_ricci said:

I think you have the right idea. And I don't think history is worthless. I lament the lack of a codified, agreed upon history of gaming. The closet we have to gaming history is Steve Kent's 'The First Quarter' aka 'The Ultimate History of Video Games'

The problem is two fold. 1, Too many people running around using their own experience as historical fact that is broadly applicable to everyone, 2, misappropriation of correct historical arguments in application to future and current market conditions.

Games history as a subculture phenomenon is probably unique in that most of us lived through this history and most of history itself easily fits into the lifetime a person. We haven't yet have multi-generational historical issues and I really don't know how games history will be written in the future, but the misappropriation certainly will continue.

Arde5643

Deku said:
The problem is two fold. 1, Too many people running around using their own experience as historical fact that is broadly applicable to everyone, 2, misappropriation of correct historical arguments in application to future and current market conditions.

Games history as a subculture phenomenon is probably unique in that most of us lived through this history and most of history itself easily fits into the lifetime a person. We haven't yet have multi-generational historical issues and I really don't know how games history will be written in the future, but the misappropriation certainly will continue.
I think the problem with historical data is that analysts (both professional and hobbyists) might misinterpret the data or they used the data only to prove their own flawed thesis.

Basically, instead of looking at the relevant data, they looked mostly to the data that supports their analysis as much as possible.

Brand loyalty is definitely a big flub-bub for the N64 and PS3 era.

Neomoto

Sorry if it's been asked numerous times but when is it expected for the top 20 to release?

Mama Robotnik said:
http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k423/mappster29/npde3gaf.gif

Damn bandwidth again. I should find a new host (if there indeed is one) as this is happening too often now. My apologies for the generic photobucket "bandwidth exceeded" images dotted on the pages.
Or you know, you could find some GIF compression software. When you're gifs are 4.7 - almost 10 MB each, no wonder you're bandwith goes to shit on a forum like GAF. ;-) Would also help load the image faster so people would see your awesome gifs in all their glory faster.

Bishman

Someone please tell me how developers are still ignoring the Wii? If Capcom can bring Dead Rising to the Wii, why can't Rockstar bring GTA IV to the Wii? I know some games are real HD heavy but they could still work a version out for the Wii.

We see Activision and EA bringing their big guns to the Wii and DS. The new James Bond game, Call of Duty, and Guitar Hero to Wii / DS.

Why not take advantage of the Wii's user base and may a lot of money in the process?

Arde5643

Bishman said:
Why not take advantage of the Wii's user base and may a lot of money in the process?
Because they don't have to? Basically, they're not going to build another development team for the Wii because right now both the HD consoles are enough to sustain them.

Now, as for how long the HD consoles can sustain them - who knows? But so far it seems to be doing well for them.

jeremy_ricci said:
Unfortunately, Blu-Ray offers all of the functionality of DVD, the ability to upscale DVD, better video, better audio, BD-Live features for new players (offering readily available content via network connection).

But none of these are relevant to the core experience of watching a movie, and none of them make the steps between "decide to watch" and "begin watching" quicker or easier.

Netflix, iTunes, and On-Demand are all making huge inroads with the convenience upgrade of no longer having to drive to the video store. These are going to pick up a pretty big slice of the video content pie, probably faster than BluRay does.

Bishman said:
Someone please tell me how developers are still ignoring the Wii? If Capcom can bring Dead Rising to the Wii, why can't Rockstar bring GTA IV to the Wii? I know some games are real HD heavy but they could still work a version out for the Wii.

We see Activision and EA bringing their big guns to the Wii and DS. The new James Bond game, Call of Duty, and Guitar Hero to Wii / DS.

because they decided years ago to spend their money on the HD consoles...

because most of them dont have the skill set necesary to succed on wii and they know it

Netflix, iTunes, and On-Demand are all making huge inroads with the convenience upgrade of no longer having to drive to the video store. These are going to pick up a pretty big slice of the video content pie, probably faster than BluRay does.

One of the biggest convienence is the fact that there is a much bigger selection on those services than on your local mall...

KTallguy

Banned
Because the Wii has gained the stigma of being a family friendly console, and unfortunately, even games like Mad World aren't going to pull more than the NeoGaf hardcore.

jay

jeremy_ricci, your mistaken arguments regarding Animal Crossing and Pikmin make you impossible to take seriously. Had you addressed them by either showing super secret Sony facts that prove they are actually small audience games or simply admitting your mistake this may not have been the case. Your massive bias and inability to come to terms with reality or accept plain facts that disagree with the reality you'd prefer render you at best a diversion from work, as opposed to someone with a cogent argument.

Arde, this is an alternative method that does not require any name calling.

Arde5643

KTallguy said:
Because the Wii has gained the stigma of being a family friendly console, and unfortunately, even games like Mad World aren't going to pull more than the NeoGaf hardcore.
No More Heroes did pretty well for a game that's not advertised at all though - and looking at the budget for Madworld, I think Sega can advertise it with the comic book and animation fans as well as the regular action gamers.

I think Madworld has more chance to be popular due to its animation style and gameplay.

jay said:
Arde, this is an alternative method that does not require any name calling.
Point taken - I'm a lazy prick though.

LuCkymoON

Banned
I have to agree with those saying Bluray will not be as big as DVD was. I see the majority of people using On Demand video services.
As much as I like high-def movies I can't bring myself to pay $20-28 for a movie I will watch only a few times. This isn't the fault of bluray or its prices but the way I feel after having my first DVD collection stolen over time; it was months before I noticed
However I will buy all the anime they release in Bluray. =D

Sustaining innovations aren't always necessarily failures. The PlayStation, afterall, was a sustaining innovation and was successful. Blu-Ray, then, as a sustaining innovation, may also have a chance to be successful. But if it faces disruption, in the form of download services or some other business models, Blu-Ray will have no chance and be forgotten.

Smether

I must say, I thought Ninja Gaiden II was going to be a flop, but it turned out some pretty good numbers.

Maybe I'm just jaded, but Wii + DS numbers don't amaze me that much any more, they are on fire. However, PSP had a good month, contrary to what I would have thought. That red bundle didn't spell sales boost to me.

Overall good month. Interesting figures.

Vinci

Danish
TheGrayGhost said:
Sustaining innovations aren't always necessarily failures. The PlayStation, afterall, was a sustaining innovation and was successful. Blu-Ray, then, as a sustaining innovation, may also have a chance to be successful. But if it faces disruption, in the form of download services or some other business models, Blu-Ray will have no chance and be forgotten.

I think at this point we're just laying bets on whether Blu-Ray's attempt will be foiled before it overcomes DVD or not. It seems most of us think it will be, with digital download being the most likely candidate due to the sheer convenience compared to the alternative.

Opiate

For the HD supporters here (that is, the few that are arguing that they shall retake the market), I think the correct response is:

Yes, what you are saying is technically possible. The PS3 and 360 both have great games and features going for them. I don't argue any of the bullet points you've put up, as I personally use my PS3 as a Blu Ray player and thoroughly enjoy both PSN and XBL.

However, thus far, virtually every scrap of empirical and historical data does not support the notion that these systems will suddenly launch to victory. Every month of every year in every major territory (JP, US, EU) the Wii outsells both the PS3 and 360 by substantial margins, and those margins have increased since last year. Sales of the Wii are not slowing down. The Wii is also selling a great deal more software, too, on a consistent monthly basis now, in all territories.

In addition, historical data does not show any system sparking mid-generation and suddenly launching to victory; in fact, we've never seen significant movement in the basic layout of a generation beyond the first 6-12 months, let alone 2-3 years down the line. The only times we've ever seen leadership shifts at all are generations like this one or the SNES/Genesis generation, where the eventual leader shipped second and had to play catch up simply by default.

In short: it's possible the PS3 will launch to victory, in the theoretical sense. You are correct, it's possible. But at this point I'd put the odds of such an occurance at 5% or less; again, there is no empirical or historical data to support such a claim.

matticus

iby.h said:
Look another one :|, alright let me break it down for you.

He said BIGGEST EXCLUSIVE, not the only exclusive.

Resistance 2 - yeah MGS is bigger. LBP - Yeah MGS is bigger. Motorstorm 2 - um lol. Socom = yeah MGS is bigger. GOD of War 3 - MGS is bigger. its also important to state that these games wont do so hot in Japan, though we cant be so sure about LBP. the rest arent that big at all.

you read it here folks, most gaffers cant read.

Right, but the sum of all those is much greater than even MGS4 + FFXIII, I promise

Opiate said:
The only times we've ever seen leadership shifts at all are generations like this one or the SNES/Genesis generation, where the eventual leader shipped second and had to play catch up simply by default.

In short: it's possible the PS3 will launch to victory, in the theoretical sense. You are correct, it's possible. But at this point I'd put the odds of such an occurance at 5% or less; again, there is no empirical or historical data to support such a claim.

The SNES did launch after the Genesis and eventually catch up, but it also was, for a significant time, selling less than the Genesis--ie. not catching up, and it still turned it around and came out on top. So there is precedent. I'd revise your odds to...6%. :p

That would be a somewhat relevant comparison to the PS3 vs. the 360: the PS3 launched later, but also sold worse for a significant time, and now has a chance to catch up anyway. But it's definitely not a valid comparison to the PS3 vs. the Wii. And it definitely doesn't apply to PS3/360 vs. the Wii.

jonabbey

TheGrayGhost said:

Digital downloads of movies are not likely to disrupt Blu-Ray on a massive scale unless they drive the prices down and find some way to unify the market rather than having it be fragmented across a dozen separate non-transferrable silos.

Not to mention the psychology of having the disk. Music is a cinch for portability, people can listen to downloaded audio wherever they go and almost whatever they're doing. Watching video is not so compatible with other activities, so I think the advantage of moving away from physical media is less significant.

All that said, the PSN video store is just sitting there beckoning me, so maybe I'll find that the psychology isn't so important in the long run.

Opiate said:
In addition, historical data does not show any system sparking mid-generation and suddenly launching to victory; in fact, we've never seen significant movement in the basic layout of a generation beyond the first 6-12 months, let alone 2-3 years down the line. The only times we've ever seen leadership shifts at all are generations like this one or the SNES/Genesis generation, where the eventual leader shipped second and had to play catch up simply by default.

The 16-bit generation was also much closer (in the US, where the worldwide race was finally "decided"), too. SNES and Genesis were never particularly far apart here, which meant that really minor shifts in interest due to individual games could contribute to crossing the streams more easily. In Europe and Japan, one console took an early lead and nothing ever changed from there.

jonabbey said:
Digital downloads of movies are not likely to disrupt Blu-Ray on a massive scale unless they drive the prices down and find some way to unify the market rather than having it be fragmented across a dozen separate non-transferrable silos.

Not to mention the psychology of having the disk.

Ownership of discrete files containing downloaded video isn't ever going to disrupt BluRay. A service-based model of video watching, where people pay for access to a catalog, might, however.

Vinci

Danish
jonabbey said:
All that said, the PSN video store is just sitting there beckoning me, so maybe I'll find that the psychology isn't so important in the long run.

It isn't. Convenience trumps any psychological advantage between tangible media and intangible. My best friend went from purchasing DVDs by the hundreds every year to simply renting things on Netflix online and watching them through download. He went from a collector to someone who's like, "Hey, man, wanna watch a movie? <click, click> I rented 'Donnie Darko.' Should start in a second."

indie85

Banned
jonabbey said:
Not to mention the psychology of having the disk. Music is a cinch for portability, people can listen to downloaded audio wherever they go and almost whatever they're doing. Watching video is not so compatible with other activities, so I think the advantage of moving away from physical media is less significant.
Yup, and even with the music market being a prime target for downloads it still only has circa 10% of total sales (including iTunes).

DD will never threaten the SD (DVD) market, let alone the HD market.

indie85 said:
DD will never threaten the SD (DVD) market, let alone the HD market.

You say "let alone" like the HD market is more impervious to DD disruption, when as a fledgling format it's probably more vulnerable. DVD isn't going to die any time soon because people have collections and players that still work, but it's already established; BR has to directly compete against DD options (and against inertia keeping people as DVD-only watchers) to get new converts on board.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Investing on HD now is seen as investing on the future. Teams are trained on technologies that will allow them to remain competitive against other skilled teams. The assets they develop will be reusable on more advanced technologies. Nintendo has always been extremely good in reusing their assets. But this time they didn't take the next gen train, and they will be inexperienced in next gen technologies, when they decide to release a successor to the wii, as opposed to 3rd parties.

3rd parties are well advised not to follow Nintendo's strategy too much: wii is not eternal.
Most CEOs must think something like that. I agree they are missing great opportunities to make more money though. And wii's success is making it harder every day to resist the tentation to invest frankly on it, in an age where short term/quaterly results drive the business.

TomServo

Vinci said:
It isn't. Convenience trumps any psychological advantage between tangible media and intangible. My best friend went from purchasing DVDs by the hundreds every year to simply renting things on Netflix online and watching them through download. He went from a collector to someone who's like, "Hey, man, wanna watch a movie? <click, click> I rented 'Donnie Darko.' Should start in a second."

That's what I was saying before about the rental market belonging to DD. Most people I know buy a ton of DVDs or BDs when they first get the player, then realize that they're spending $20 on a disc only to watch it once and shelve it. Then they move to rentals. Personally, I don't buy a movie that's not:

a. Made by Pixar
b. Made by Lucasfilm, or
c. Under $10

Once you go from collector to renter, the convenience of DD wins.

Top Bottom