• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June 2008 NPD Sales Data

daegan

titiklabingapat said:
It's gtrue that Sony has been better than MS to pushing platformers before, especially cutesy ones, but I think MS has done so much damage when they reeled Sony in that I don't think the Sony of today is capable of doing what it did in the past.

Sony's corporate philosophy still lies within the dark, gritty, "mature" line of thinking.

This is the company that marketed Crash Bandicoot, Spyro the Dragon, Sly Cooper, Parappa the Rapper, and LocoRoco. Among many, many, many others.

tl;dr: wat

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Blu-Ray will not be as popular as DVD for a couple reasons.

First of all, there are no significant differences in features between Blu-Ray and DVD. The jump from VHS to DVD added chapter selection and skipping, audio commentary and special features, decreased physical space, the elimination of rewinding for a couple minutes to get to the beginning of a movie, and increased durability. It also offered increased picture and sound quality. Blu-Ray adds... increased picture and sound quality and that's about it.

Second, 90% of consumers are not going to be able to see much difference between a Blu-Ray movie and an upscaled DVD, and half of those who can won't care, and half of those who DO care will care more about the price difference between DVD and Blu-Ray players and movies.

Also, don't look for HDTV adoption rates to jump very much with the end of the analog broadcast signals in the U.S. Those little converter boxes are SUPER popular. Why pay hundreds for a new TV when you can just pay 20 bucks (after the government discount) for a converter box?

Raw64life

Not much, but everything not listed in the OP...

June 08:

....uh, nothing

-----

Rough LTDs:

WII MARIO KART WII: ~2.2 million

WII FIT W/BALANCE BOARD NINTENDO OF AMERICA: ~1.05 million

-----

Hardware LTD:

PS2: ~42.4 million
NDS: ~20.8 million
PSP: ~12.0 million
Wii: ~10.9 million
360: ~10.5 million
PS3: ~4.9 million

-----

WII PLAY W/REMOTE - 17 months in the top 10 and counting:

February 07 - 371K
March 07 - 273K
April 07 - 249K
May 07 - 227K
June 07 - 293K
July 07 - 278K
August 07 - 257K
September 07 - 282K
October 07 - 240K
November 07 - 564K
December 07 - 1.1 million
January 08 - 298K
February 08 - 290K
March 08 - 410K
April 08 - 360K
May 08 - 295K
June 08 - 295K

LTD: ~6.1 million

Ryu1999 said:
Lack of a price drop is irrelevant when your product is so much lower in price than your nearest competitor (lol core 360)
It's not like people must buy gaming hardware. If the best price out there is too much, sales will be lacking. But evidently those who think it's fair enough still equal or outnumber production numbers.

PS2's sales increased when it dropped from $299, but it sure wasn't from cheaper GameCube having been stealing a significant number of sales, or from suddenly becoming cheaper than Xbox since MS matched the price right away.
Ryu1999 said:
I'm not debating the Wii's success. I'm just saying being surprised at its success in spite of a lack of a price drop is just being intellectually dishonest given Wii hasn't seen a lull to warrant a pricedrop in the first place
The "hasn't seen a lull" is the cause of surprise. Lack of price drop is just another effect.
Tmac said:
Btw some people are counting as the wii selling the same forever. You should not. Mainly because the wii is sold out, therefore those numbers arent acurate. The "real" sales might be much bigger or much lower. Let me explain.
A fair point, though I doubt any of us here could accurately determine "demand reserve" and "demand rate of increase". DS sold astronomically in Japan for about a year and a half... then in pretty short order dropped to merely great once almost everyone had one.
Starchasing said:
they could put it in every single Nintendo game..

in every new controller

in every new wii

Nintendo is doing things unheard on this industry before... so why not?!?!
Well, they didn't become the multi-billionaires we know today by throwing money around like that.
indie85 said:
I see every single person with a HD tv yearning for HD content.
Look to th eleft; you've been missing that group playing 4:3 SD content stretched out to 16:9.

SecretDestroyer said:
Did Wii just overtake the Gamecube's N.A. LTD?
As of early last year NPD had its US sales at 11.7 million, and Nintendo's shipped number to NA is 12.94 million. I haven't been closely following Wii's Canadian numbers, but they'd need to be 850K over GCN's final LTD for it to match or surpass. However, at going rates it'd be pretty easy for Wii to overtake GCN in NA sometime in the next quarter.

(Sorry Mexico and other states for not considering you at all.)

justchris

indie85 said:
The HD market is more impervious to DD simply because its damn harder to get HD content to consumers down that phoneline, only when you can stream HD content on the fly to millions of consumers simultaneously will DD ever contend and even then there's no reason to expect DD to achieve a greater market share than the music market.

Interesting, how many high speed internet customers do you think Time-Warner, Comcast, AT&T, Charter and the like have between them? More people are already streaming HD content than you seem to be aware of.

SSM25

shidoshi said:
Oh joy, this again. People were saying the same thing years ago, except replace Blu-ray with "DVD" and DVD with "VHS."

I know, people think the market will never evolve?, are we doomed to watch upscaled SD content for ever and ever?

SSM25

justchris said:
Interesting, how many high speed internet customers do you think Time-Warner, Comcast, AT&T, Charter and the like have between them? More people are already streaming HD content than you seem to be aware of.

Even so, do you think everybody will embrace DD so that there will not be a market for Disc Media?

justchris

SSM25 said:
Even so, do you think everybody will embrace DD so that there will not be a market for Disc Media?

That's really a technology question. The answer to that depends more on how the technology for DD advances in the next couple of years than it does on anything Disc Media does. If internet speeds and internet structure improves quickly enough, if storage options become cheap enough, and if DD begins to offer the same or better features and benefits than discs can match, discs with be ditched without even a thought.

But what I'm saying is, there are people already switching to DD & Streaming media in preference to disc media, just as there are those switching to HD Discs from SD Discs. It's a race to see which will be adopted faster, and right now the race is closer than some of you seem to think. It's still anybody's game.

Parl

Tmac said:
I know. Its a simplification to explain my point.

Which is, as Wii's sold out, the real potential monthly sales can be much higher, much lower, or about the same of those 600k.
This is been something I've considered too. It happened to DS in Japan. It sold like crazy, and almost out of nowhere, its sales went down to only selling "good".

However, in Japan, DS has outsold PS2 and is still going strong (by normal standards)... WITHOUT A PRICE CUT!

DataBot

laserbeam said:
GTA4 totally vanishing basically shows that The Hardcore arent the people who made the franchise successful. Bet Rockstar wishes it had a Wii version of GTA4 now

Agreed..
Im pretty Sure a game as known as GTA IV - (which is also a Core and casual game)
if on the Wii it would have very long lengs.
Think about it..
+ "about 700 k of users every month only in the US".
Im sure there would be alot of potential GTA buyers.

Not so good buisness decision of Rockstar....

DataBot

marc^o^ said:
GTA announced for the Nintendo DS is almost a confirmation we will their next opus on the Wii.

Not really the production of a DS game is pretty cheap compared to all current gen systems.

le.phat

marc^o^ said:
GTA announced for the Nintendo DS is almost a confirmation we will their next opus on the Wii.
how'd you figure that ?
the DS game is easily sidetrack funded, unlike a full blown GTA for the wii ( unless i they port the last gen's engine, ugh..) anyway, GTA4 did a good 6million+ sales on ps360, plus they have the HD engine up and running. the sum of these things is pretty much confirmation its not going to happen.

marc^o^ said:

Not at all.

It's confirmation that Wii may possibly get a GTA spin off game made by a lower team within Rockstar at some point I guess.

milanbaros

Member?
I think July or August will be the last month of supply problems for the Wii. Nintendo said they would be increasing production to 2.4m from 1.8m this month.

It appears NA is the last region to have Wii hardware shortages so this should easily be ended using some of the 600k increase.

markom58

Neo Member
EviLore said:
03. 360 NINJA GAIDEN II MICROSOFT 372.7K

Whew. Good numbers for what is in my opinion a niche hardcore kick in the balls game. Well deserved too, such a bad ass game. Bravo 360 owners :D

F#A#Oo

Banned
milanbaros said:
I think July or August will be the last month of supply problems for the Wii. Nintendo said they would be increasing production to 2.4m from 1.8m this month.

It appears NA is the last region to have Wii hardware shortages so this should easily be ended using some of the 600k increase.

I doubt there will be a definitive end to shortages. I mean the DS also still has shortages from time to time...for some unknown reason. It's a strange trend.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Parl said:
This is been something I've considered too. It happened to DS in Japan. It sold like crazy, and almost out of nowhere, its sales went down to only selling "good".

You can't apply that reasoning here, we all know why that happened, DS reached a saturation peak of game systems within that population, which is around 20 million. The saturation peak in the US is about 40 million, which is twice as high and the Wii isn't even halfway there yet.

I think wishful thinking is catching up with some of us, I for one hope the Wii sells as healthily as possible, because it's truly good for this industry.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
F#A#Oo said:
I doubt there will be a definitive end to shortages. I mean the DS also still has shortages from time to time...for some unknown reason. It's a strange trend.

It's strange because finally people are getting what they really want.

For a long time the "Wizard of Oz" has ruled the industry, and that has held it back from growing into a genuinely relevant entity. That is changing now because the companies are realizing the Wizard of Oz isn't the market, that Wizard is the demanding core segment, which is very different from the population at large, which has its own demands.

Haunted

marc^o^ said:
I don't think so.

There was a GTA game on the GBA, too, you know. And it was horrible.

Scrubking

TheGreatDave said:
Not at all.

It's confirmation that Wii may possibly get a GTA spin off game made by a lower team within Rockstar at some point I guess.

San Andreas Stories. I'll take that over GTA4 any day.

DataBot

I personally like the Chinatown idea, if they make it a good game for the wii it could work they have done some work on the ds version so it could be easier to make since they have the concept already i guess.

But on the other side Chinatown could scare away customers because some dont like asian stuff.

Final Conclusion: It should be either something new or GTA IV but it should be good if it isnt good it wont sell.

DataBot said:
Agreed..
Im pretty Sure a game as known as GTA IV - (which is also a Core and casual game)
if on the Wii it would have very long lengs.
Think about it..
+ "about 700 k of users every month only in the US".
Im sure there would be alot of potential GTA buyers.

Not so good buisness decision of Rockstar....

San Andreas Stories Wii, surely can't be very far off, especially after announcing a new GTA for the DS of all consoles. Take Two still have a takeover they need to fight off, and a potential 10 million seller must be something they are giving very serious consideration. With the likes of Dead Rising Wii turning up, the precedent is already there.

Godfather Wii was a very interesting interpretation of the free roaming genre, so i'm sure a GTA on Wii could bring a lot to the table.

shidoshi said:
Oh joy, this again. People were saying the same thing years ago, except replace Blu-ray with "DVD" and DVD with "VHS."

What was the format rising in popularity alongside DVD at that time that can be compared to digital distribution? It sounds a lot to me like trying to compare the performance of 360 and the PS3 and ignoring the existence of the Wii.

For good or for ill, Digital Distribution has the potential to eat away at Blu-Ray's eventual market penetration. I'm not saying it will, I'm just saying it makes comparison's to the rise of DVD ill fitting.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I think the stronger economy in Europe and its increasing HD adoption rate will certainly help Blu ray. In Japan and the US, people are still not buying HD as fast as some expected and this will likely not change until February 09 when people start justifying replacing their old non-digital TV with a new one. But I think the strength if June's NPD for Sony demonstrates that MGS4 was a system seller and they still have a lot of life left in them. And until I see the same games on Wii that I want to play on PS3 and X360, the Wii is still in a class by itself (which isn't necessarily a bad thing).

jay

shidoshi said:

I agree. Anything disc shaped will always win. Even in 100 years when our toilets can download libraries in seconds digital downloading will make up no more than 1% of the movie market because that technology lacks the necessary disc shape.

JoshuaJSlone said:
As of early last year NPD had its US sales at 11.7 million, and Nintendo's shipped number to NA is 12.94 million. I haven't been closely following Wii's Canadian numbers, but they'd need to be 850K over GCN's final LTD for it to match or surpass. However, at going rates it'd be pretty easy for Wii to overtake GCN in NA sometime in the next quarter.

(Sorry Mexico and other states for not considering you at all.)
The CBC reported June numbers:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=327811

Dalthien said:
Through April 2008:

WII ~ 870,000
360 ~ 800,000
PS3 ~ 425,000

JaMarco

Htown said:
Blu-Ray will not be as popular as DVD for a couple reasons.

First of all, there are no significant differences in features between Blu-Ray and DVD. The jump from VHS to DVD added chapter selection and skipping, audio commentary and special features, decreased physical space, the elimination of rewinding for a couple minutes to get to the beginning of a movie, and increased durability. It also offered increased picture and sound quality. Blu-Ray adds... increased picture and sound quality and that's about it.

Second, 90% of consumers are not going to be able to see much difference between a Blu-Ray movie and an upscaled DVD, and half of those who can won't care, and half of those who DO care will care more about the price difference between DVD and Blu-Ray players and movies.

Also, don't look for HDTV adoption rates to jump very much with the end of the analog broadcast signals in the U.S. Those little converter boxes are SUPER popular. Why pay hundreds for a new TV when you can just pay 20 bucks (after the government discount) for a converter box?
this is correct

Pachael

DeaconKnowledge said:
And how does Blu-Ray adoption sell games again? Just curious.

Something about:

Blu-Ray adoption goes up -> More people are likely to get PS3 -> More people are likely to buy PS3 games

Pachael said:
Something about:

Blu-Ray adoption goes up -> More people are likely to get PS3 -> More people are likely to buy PS3 games

Ah yes.

I think it's funny that people who talk about Blu-Ray adoption expect people to buy software because the system they bought for movies incidentally pays games, then turn their noses up at Wii gamers for doing it purposely.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Pachael said:
Something about:

Or maybe, just maybe Blu Ray players price go down and people are going to buy a player and begin seeing the PS3 as a game machine.

sakuragi

Banned
DeaconKnowledge said:
And how does Blu-Ray adoption sell games again? Just curious.

Well since the PS3 helped Blu-ray become the standard HD format, Blue-ray has become synonymous with the name Sony and PS3 and not to mention that the PS3 is one of the cheapest and best Blu-ray players in the market that lets you play games as well.

So if Mr. Joe might buy a PS3 to watch his Blu-ray, he might as well try and get some games as well with it since it come with his Blu-ray player. Sony did the same strategy with the PS2 and the DVD, except that the PS3 is $600 when it launched and is still too expensive for mass market adoption.

Zerachiel

Pureauthor said:
[price cuts]Have never been shown to provide anything more than a very temporary boost in sales of hardware.

Huh? How else do you explain PS3's reversal of fortune? So far as I can tell, it started with the price drop to 400/500. I guess Blu Ray had something to it, but it seems like the price drop has offered sustained momentum to the PS3.

Jammy

Banned
daegan said:
This is the company that marketed Crash Bandicoot, Spyro the Dragon, Sly Cooper, Parappa the Rapper, and LocoRoco. Among many, many, many others.

tl;dr: wat

That Sony seems to have lost all common sense and marketing technique this generation however. Also, LocoRoco? :lol That game flopped. Like many others have said, it would have had a much better fate on DS, despite being done by Sony.

Raw64life said:
Not much, but everything not listed in the OP...

Wii Play did 359k in June 08. You seem to have two May 08 numbers up.

Kapsama

justchris said:
You mean the same Time-Warner, Comcast and AT&T who are trying to introduce monthly download caps? DD will die real soon once that $14.99 movie comes with a $4.99 download surcharge from Comcast when you can just get the DVD for $16.99.

marc^o^ said:
Which would be a real shame.
Jammy said:
That Sony seems to have lost all common sense and marketing technique this generation however. Also, LocoRoco? :lol That game flopped. Like many others have said, it would have had a much better fate on DS, despite being done by Sony.

Yes and all Nintendo franchises would have sold better on the PS2 or Xbox. What's your point again?

yoopoo

Banned
npd_chart_june2008.jpg

cakefoo

DeaconKnowledge said:
Ah yes.

I think it's funny that people who talk about Blu-Ray adoption expect people to buy software because the system they bought for movies incidentally pays games, then turn their noses up at Wii gamers for doing it purposely.
Sony has proven with the PS2 that they can do casual without alienating the core gamer.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
So how many more similiar top 20's before we can stop with the "What are Wii owners buying" and "3rd party software doesn't sell on Wii" memes?

Top Bottom