• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JUNE! Comics OT Before Four Dollar Books and Toasters!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owzers

Spider-men OHC is 47% off at amazon, $13.29 too :O I think i'm going to let you guys be the bendis guinea pigs while i sit back and wait it out.

You can't walk around in a skirt in Gemworld anymore brah. Satchwar bra, can you post examples from the artist, since they worked on WW please?

ElNarez

Banned
In today's installment of "Dan Didio, what the fuck are you even trying to say?", we have this quote about the cancellation of JLI
He said: "It was selling okay, but we had greater expectations for that line. There's a lot of those characters that I feel we've told a lot of stories with, so at this particular moment we'll give the title a rest, and maybe give some of those characters a rest."

When asked whether Justice League International will be replaced by another ongoing title when it draws to a close with issue #12, the executive strongly hinted that it will.

"My goal is always to make sure we feel new, and make sure that we have 52 titles. The goal for us right now is to constantly replenish and refresh the line so it always feels fresh and new," he added.

It's the part about the overused characters. How? And how is making another fucking Batman spinoff helping in any way?

You disagree, but how is that difficult to parse or understand?

And um they are making a character out of a well received event. If it sells to expectations, it helps. That's difficult to grok?

:lol

I just realized: this is
Colossenix (or whatever we're calling him) come a courtin'.
Is Kitty about to
piss off the scary cosmic firebird by breaking Peter's heart?

WolvXmenCover14_colPREVIEWSv2.jpg

Owzers

i'll probably give the first issues of Wave Three a try if dcbs has a special on the bundle, otherwise just Talon and Sword and Sorcery partly for the art.

That two issue Amazing Spidey/Daredevil story was decently good in a "in the moment" way. Then i moved on to Amazing Spidey 820 and 821, the space issues, they were fun and i'm glad Slott made it two issues instead of trying to stretch it out. On to Ends of the Earth! Hope it's not a letdown.

just read the New 52 FCBD issue...i have a bad feeling about Trinity War :( I hope it's so so so so much more than just heroes fighting heroes. I hate this about DC/Marvel, they love not having to rely on a plot.

I just realized: this is
Colossenix (or whatever we're calling him) come a courtin'.
Is Kitty about to
piss off the scary cosmic firebird by breaking Peter's heart?

Yeah, that's the kind of ridiculous and hilarious situation I've come to expect from Wolverine & The X-Men.

EVERYTHING'S GONNA BE OKAY NOW.

Keiron Gillen makes AvX 5 make much more sense in his issues of Uncanny.

The pattern for AvX has been pretty easy to follow:

-Shitty AvX issue comes out, stupid stuff happens
-UXM or WATXM issue follow it up, contain actual characterization, clear character motivations, interesting things that don't knock you upside the head with their absurdity take place
-Rinse and repeat for next 11 issues

Owzers

The pattern for AvX has been pretty easy to follow:

-Shitty AvX issue comes out, stupid stuff happens
-UXM or WATXM issue follow it up, contain actual characterization, clear character motivations, interesting things that don't knock you upside the head with their absurdity take place
-Rinse and repeat for next 11 issues

The fights take place in AvX Versus

The character interactions that might make the book interesting take place in tie-ins.

How can you write a twelve issue event that literally moves emotionless pieces on a board, slowly, without providing any semblance of a compelling story? Events + 6 writers :( Events like these aren't stories, they're premises. They're taco seasoning packets that tells you to get the rest yourself.

hfGpB.png

Got another update from the Sullivan's Sluggers Kickstarter and this one is actually interesting.

UNLOCKED: The first unlock for Sullivan's Sluggers is a sheet of 6 player cards to be included with every order at $30 or above.

$65,000 UNLOCK:

This one is right around the corner. The next Unlock is a big one when we reach the 65,000 level. We're going to print the book in OMNIBUS SIZE at Dimensions: 12.6 x 8.6. Like the giant 'Walking Dead' and 'Girls' Hardcovers you've seen on the shelves.

$70,000 UNLOCK:

A CENTER FOLD OUT PAGE in the book where it opens out for a big reveal where James drew 3 pages worth or monster, showcasing Jame Stokoe's artwork in all its glory.

$80,000 UNLOCK.

SLIPCASE COVERS. Your copy of Sullivan's Sluggers will be able to withstand a nuclear attack, and be around for all future generations to read.

Damn, I hope they make it to $80k. I'll be disappointed knowing what had been possible.

Only 5 more days before it closes. I think I'm going to post it on my fb again even though no one on there cares.

The way I read it I thought they were saying all the books. It just says "the book." I guess it could mean they're doing another printing, but if so i hope they give people a chance to upgrade.

Just read the 'Batman - Death by Design' hard cover by Chip Kidd & Dave Taylor and thoroughly enjoyed it - in fact, my only complaint would be that it was over all too soon. For fans of the 1930's, noir art-deco Gotham, Dave Taylor's artwork is a real treat, his sketched and shaded style, tinged with hints of pale colour here and there, give Gotham a feel as equally brooding as it is ethereal, and it's a perfect setting for this story in which the city of Gotham itself plays such a major role. Some may be disappointed to find that any villains that do appear seem almost confined to the edges of the tale, but this isn't a story about Batman vs. a maniac threatening Gotham, it's about Batman, Bruce Wayne and Gotham itself. In that regard, the book achieves what it sets out to do, but it also could have done with more space to do it in. Things are over very quickly, and often exposition is all too quickly delivered, but regardless, this is an enjoyable Batman story that makes up for what it lacks in action packed excitement with it's unique tone, it's wonderful artwork and a dash of intrigue.

Owzers

The way I read it I thought they were saying all the books. It just says "the book." I guess it could mean they're doing another printing, but if so i hope they give people a chance to upgrade.

I kind of assumed they meant all books too, just because it wouldn't make sense to do two different printings. It's got to be really expensive to just print 100 omnibus sized books if it were separate.

I'm obsessed with comics brahs. I can no longer fight it....

I always say I'm gonna drop all of 'em, too much ugliness or shitty business pratices. Then I read a really good one and I'm like FUCK this is one of the world's greatest artforms, they're so magical and and stupid and personal and arrrrgh

All those shitty, amazing comics.

Owzers

I always say I'm gonna drop all of 'em, too much ugliness or shitty business pratices. Then I read a really good one and I'm like FUCK this is one of the world's greatest artforms, they're so magical and and stupid and personal and arrrrgh

All those shitty, amazing comics.

I daydream about going Image/Dark Horse/Indy only and being done with Marvel/DC. Continuity is just an addictive hassle, my real love of comics is in the stories, and Marvel/DC have too much baggage attached to reading their books. Like Green Lantern? Have fun buying Guardians and GLC for the crossover!

It's Monster Ninjas. Different. Take the plunge, oh Indie King, I'm sure it would be a lot more rewarding the the cookie cuttie stooper heroes!

Thank you. I will.

And you can enjoy cuddling with your swinging pal and cuddling all post coital-like while reading We3 and weeping together.

I daydream about going Image/Dark Horse/Indy only and being done with Marvel/DC. Continuity is just an addictive hassle, my real love of comics is in the stories, and Marvel/DC have too much baggage attached to reading their books. Like Green Lantern? Have fun buying Guardians and GLC for the crossover!

It's easier than you imagine and there's a wealth of great stuff coming out and already in print. You won't be at a loss for entertainment.

Owzers

I like the artists/writers/characters from DC and Marvel and i like the concept of big huge events, i will continue....and hope to have good luck selling stuff on ebay so i'm not stuck with it all Xo

Aside from that, New Deadwardians from Vertigo is better than i expected.

bangai-o

Banned
i have Saucer Country and Voodo Child back issues coming in by mail. I decided not to go with Deadwardians. i just wasnt feeling it from the previews, even though all the reviews are saying that is the best one.

Isak_Borg

Read the first issue today and it's such a cock tease!

If you're a Brian wood fan this is going to be an awesome week with the release of x-men, ultimate x-men and the massive.

Fantastic four was kind of underwhelming but Hickman has been on a roll so no biggie that it was an all setup issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom