• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JUNE! Comics OT Before Four Dollar Books and Toasters!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owzers

so which of the two New 52 Batman paperbacks would you guys recommend? Court of Owls or Detective Comics?

Only one is poison.

*choose Court of Owls, avoid Detective*

meh, looking through my stack of comics i just realized that i never read issue #8 of GLC and New Guardians before reading #9. Sad thing is, i didn't feel lost because i didn't care about anything that was going on anyway.

Read the first issue today and it's such a cock tease!

If you're a Brian wood fan this is going to be an awesome week with the release of x-men, ultimate x-men and the massive.

Fantastic four was kind of underwhelming but Hickman has been on a roll so no biggie that it was an all setup issue.

The previews for the X titles didn't look that good, I mean really two pages of Pixie flying? But he has been saying all the right things. My hype meter for The Massive is at a 10 right now.

And I want to read Voodoo Child, gotta support my Milestone brahs but the suckas at Image are putting out too much good stuff.

Ravager61

I just wanted to say that I recently got back into comics after a LONG absence and I absolutely adore the new 52 Batman series. I picked up a few Court of Owls tie ins today (Nightwing and Red Hood). Hoping those series are good as well.

Also, I've read all the AvX main books and think they are ok. Maybe I'm missing something but I find it hard to buy into the fact that Cyclops is so gung ho about letting the Phoenix force enter Hope. Wouldn't he be a little more hesitant about it after watching it kill he wife? As I said, I've been away from comics for a long time so maybe something happened to his character that makes this make more sense, but to me, it seems hard to buy.

I just wanted to say that I recently got back into comics after a LONG absence and I absolutely adore the new 52 Batman series. I picked up a few Court of Owls tie ins today (Nightwing and Red Hood). Hoping those series are good as well.

Also, I've read all the AvX main books and think they are ok. Maybe I'm missing something but I find it hard to buy into the fact that Cyclops is so gung ho about letting the Phoenix force enter Hope. Wouldn't he be a little more hesitant about it after watching it kill he wife? As I said, I've been away from comics for a long time so maybe something happened to his character that makes this make more sense, but to me, it seems hard to buy.

A large portion of mutants wiped out during M Day by Scarlet Witch(not really, went nuts after she absorbed the life force to bring back her sons). Cyke since then has been fighting threat after threat trying to protect mutants and revive the race.

Cyke is now more like Mags than Xavier. And Magneto was proven right with the emergence of Utopia.

tm24

could someone tell me what the difference between this and this is? They are both title "Ultimate Comics Spider-Man, Vol. 1"...

OK, so there's basically 3 "series" of Ultimate Spider-Man. The first one is basically 130 or so issues before Ultimatum. The second one is post-ultimatum and still has Pete in the red and blues. The 3rd is the Miles Morales rocking the red/black.

RangersFan

OK, so there's basically 3 "series" of Ultimate Spider-Man. The first one is basically 130 or so issues before Ultimatum. The second one is post-ultimatum and still has Pete in the red and blues. The 3rd is the Miles Morales rocking the red/black.

OK so I read the whole run up to Vol 22 Ultimatum
51%2B7Q71MCkL._SS500_.jpg

What do I read after that? This? Then this?
51MabpzloiL._SS500_.jpg
51DwfXL7iML._SS500_.jpg

Averon

AvX

LoL. Can this get anymore one sided? Turning Cyclops and all into
kidnapping, Phoenix Force possessed psychos
. The writers are making it pretty clear who you are suppose to root for in all this.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
OK so I read the whole run up to Vol 22 Ultimatum
51%2B7Q71MCkL._SS500_.jpg

What do I read after that? This? Then this?
51MabpzloiL._SS500_.jpg
51DwfXL7iML._SS500_.jpg

Yep you got it! That second run of USM is my fave, it's so much fun. Remember to steer clear of ultimatum itself, it's terribad.

Edit: oh but you might want to read Ultimate Origins, it becomes relevant about 2-3 trades into new USM.

ReiGun

AvX

LoL. Can this get anymore one sided? Turning Cyclops and all into
kidnapping, Phoenix Force possessed psychos
. The writers are making it pretty clear who you are suppose to root for in all this.

It's less black and white in the tie-ins. And by "less black and white", I mean "the Avengers are dicks to the X-Men and then X-Men are dicks back." At some point, the Avengers will be condescending, and the X-Men will cry racism, and then they'll start punching each other.

The answer is always captain America because America.
Actually, the answer is Wolverine. Throughout all of this, he has been the only completely sympathetic, kind of level-headed character. Well, him and the Secret Avengers.

Cap is going around ordering surveillance on Logan's school and shipping Scott's X-kids to Avengers Academy. And Scott is...well...being Scott.

RangersFan

Yep you got it! That second run of USM is my fave, it's so much fun. Remember to steer clear of ultimatum itself, it's terribad.

Edit: oh but you might want to read Ultimate Origins, it becomes relevant about 2-3 trades into new USM.

alright thanks, i'll probably buy ultimate origins as well.

Owzers

Getting caught up with Swamp Thing and Animal Man, i'm still a little torn on both, the plotting just doesn't click with me. Sethe...is literally a bag of bones and it's the same thing for Animal Man, the "villains" are more or less goop. No real personality or motivations outside of "destroy!". That only gets you so far imo. Certainly not 9 months. If character development on the hero side is supposed to carry it, then in Animal Man only the daughter has a personality. Swamp Thing carried the build up better with Abby and her brother, Alec is a slightly boring character so far though.

In closing, three shrugs out of five.

Getting caught up with Swamp Thing and Animal Man, i'm still a little torn on both, the plotting just doesn't click with me. Sethe...is literally a bag of bones and it's the same thing for Animal Man, the "villains" are more or less goop. No real personality or motivations outside of "destroy!". That only gets you so far imo. Certainly not 9 months. If character development on the hero side is supposed to carry it, then in Animal Man only the daughter has a personality. Swamp Thing carried the build up better with Abby and her brother, Alec is a slightly boring character so far though.

Forget the wannabes. If you're into that, read BPRD. It's the real deal for that kind of stuff.

ElNarez

Banned
You need to read Swamp Thing #10. And also maybe I guess the Animal Man Annual. Mostly, you need to read Swamp Thing #10, because it's a fucking awesome Francavilla-drawn issue. It's great comics. And it kinda sorta adresses all your points. Both of those do, really.

I'm in the same boat right now. They just aren't compelling villains and the plot has been sputtering for what seems like after the first trade. And it begs the question, if they defeat these mega villains what's next? I really don't want to see the rot or the red after this and we stil have months to go until the fucking crossover starts. Go let Buddy investigate weird, morally ambiguous shit and use animal powers.

Owzers

I'm in the same boat right now. They just aren't compelling villains and the plot has been sputtering for what seems like after the first trade. And it begs the question, if they defeat these mega villains what's next? I really don't want to see the rot or the red after this and we stil have months to go until the fucking crossover starts. Go let Buddy investigate weird, morally ambiguous shit and use animal powers.

Instead of written for the trade, we're getting written for the omnibus Xo. Right now i've pre-ordered through issue #11 for both books, and i'm debating bailing out #12's crossover mega-rot for both books.

You need to read Swamp Thing #10. And also maybe I guess the Animal Man Annual. Mostly, you need to read Swamp Thing #10, because it's a fucking awesome Francavilla-drawn issue. It's great comics. And it kinda sorta adresses all your points. Both of those do, really.

I have Animal Man Annual and #9 on hand to read today but Swamp Thing will be coming in the next shipment.

Forget the wannabes. If you're into that, read BPRD. It's the real deal for that kind of stuff.

I'm trying to get through my Hellboy Library Editions that i haven't read yet before jumping into more BPRD. Have you read any of the recent BPRD stuff? Dark Horse seems to be pumping out a ton of Hell on Earth etc minis, it's kind of intimidating to get into BPRD knowing there is so much of it. I'm trying to figure out what Plague of Frogs HC collection collects that vol 4 tpb The Dead i read.

Unrelated, but if you have to ask your iphone the meaning of life, you have lost the meaning of life...but i guess that's why you're asking to begin with. Hate that Malkovich commercial.

O____O wonder if all the hardcovers would be ommni sized or if that would be a separate reward.
Yup, got another update today:

Congratulations, you've all been upgraded to OMNIBUS size.

UNLOCKED: The first unlock for Sullivan's Sluggers is a sheet of 6 player cards to be included with every order at $30 or above.

UNLOCKED: OMNIBUS SIZE UPGRADE TO ALL BACKERS AT $30 and above.
This one is right around the corner. The next Unlock is a big one. When we reach the 65,000 level we're going to print the book in OMNIBUS SIZE at Dimensions: 12.6 x 8.6. Like the giant 'Walking Dead' and 'Girls' Hardcovers you've seen on the shelves.
Help us to unlock the next level reward - the fold out - at $70,000.

$70,000 UNLOCK: A CENTER FOLD OUT PAGE in the book where it opens out for a big reveal where James drew 3 pages worth or monster, showcasing Jame Stokoe's artwork in all its glory.

$80,000 UNLOCK. SLIPCASE COVERS. Your copy of Sullivan's Sluggers will be able to withstand a nuclear attack, and be around for all future generations to read.

$30 for a hardcover omnibus size. I just realized how big that was when they said it's the dimensions of the Girls deluxe (although 200 pgs vs 600+). It'll be too big for my shelf.

I'm trying to get through my Hellboy Library Editions that i haven't read yet before jumping into more BPRD. Have you read any of the recent BPRD stuff? Dark Horse seems to be pumping out a ton of Hell on Earth etc minis, it's kind of intimidating to get into BPRD knowing there is so much of it. I'm trying to figure out what Plague of Frogs HC collection collects that vol 4 tpb The Dead i read.

Just get all of it, except The Dead Remembered which is terrible. Every other issue in the Hellboy Universe is turning out to be pretty critical. Reread the Russia storyline and realized it's reintroducing a monster from a friggin Abe Sapien miniseries from four years ago.

It's amazing stuff, so it shouldn't intimidate you, really. Think of it as, say, "I get all these awesome comics to read instead of ever reading a DC book again" and that way it all balances out.

;D

Captain Atom has been cancelled, who will be the other two? Please spare Jaime...

Edit:Resurrection Man is dead, no more resurrecting from him.

Owzers

Captain Atom has been cancelled, who will be the other two? Please spare Jaime...

Edit:Resurrection Man is dead, no more resurrecting from him.

Anything but Demon Knights and Frankenstein and i'm cool, especially demon knights Xo.

Should i buy the Resurrection Man tpb or is it not worth my money? Actually this question feels disingenuous since there's only like a 20% chance of me buying it unless people say it's amazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzing.

Just get the BPRD omnibus editions.

And the Abe Sapien and Lobster Johnson trades.

And also there are a few BPRD trades (1946, 1947, Being Human) that aren't collected in the Omnibuses, which ONLY has the Plague Of Frogs books. But, naturally, all of them are critically important and rewarding.

Have any of you guys ever read the Ostrander/Mandrake Spectre series from the 90s?

IT IS INSANE

It basically spits in the eye of everyone who thinks Superman or the Eternals or whoever are too powerful to write interesting stories about, since it takes the notion of a being who is an aspect of God second only to Jesus and Michael and runs with it.

And the way it uses the Christian mythos, it's like, I can't believe DC ever allowed this to be published at all, let alone the main DCU.

This series features (mad spoilers):

Lots and lots and lots of Gustav Dore type images of Hell.

The Spectre vs. Satan (the Spectre is a lot more powerful here than you might think).

Debates before a Catholic tribunal on the gender of God.

A journey through the Joker's soul.

Mullet Superman possessed by Hitler wielding the spear which stabbed Christ battling the incarnate wrath of God (cover by Alex Ross!).

The Spectre battling the archangel Michael at the gates of Heaven using the freaking MOON as a mace.

The only post golden-age appearances of zany sidekick Percival Popp, the super cop.

Battles in which he smashes his opponents over the head with entire planets BECAUSE HE CAN DO THAT

The secret occult history of America.

The revelation that the Spectre caused the Biblical plagues, drowned the Pharaoh's army and blew up Sodom & Gomorrah (is he a homophobe????)

Nabu/Dr. Fate was the court wizard of the Biblical Pharaoh.

The Spectre is also an aspect of Shiva.

The revelation that Eclipso was the prior incarnation of the wrath of God who caused Noah's flood

Lots and lots of Sandman characters.

The search for God after Heaven is found empty, which results in him becoming God...

...followed by a flaming sword-wielding confrontation with ACTUAL GOD.

Anyway, Ostrander is kind of in that A- range of writer, but it is pretty damn compelling for the far-reaching ideas and sheer spectacle, if a bit preachy at times. This book almost single-handedly redeemed 90s DC for me. Almost.

Anything but Demon Knights and Frankenstein and i'm cool, especially demon knights Xo.

Should i buy the Resurrection Man tpb or is it not worth my money? Actually this question feels disingenuous since there's only like a 20% chance of me buying it unless people say it's amazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzing.

Resurrection Man is a lot of fun and definitely worth a read, but I wouldn't go all the way to amazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzing. It hasn't earned that many Zs.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

I'm intimidated too. It's a lot of material, though it sounds cool and I'd like to get into it. It'll take forever, and be expensive, to start from the beginning however.

I kinda liked the first Hellboy movie and thought the second one was pretty overrated. Is that a concern? I don't think very highly of Guillermo del Toro as a writer. I assume Mignola and crew and better.

I'm intimidated too. It's a lot of material, though it sounds cool and I'd like to get into it. It'll take forever, and be expensive, to start from the beginning however.

I kinda liked the first Hellboy movie and thought the second one was pretty overrated. Is that a concern? I don't think very highly of Guillermo del Toro as a writer. I assume Mignola and crew and better.

I haven't even seen the second movie. Pretty unrelated.

It's definitely a costly undertaking, especially the way DH prices their trades, but they do have reasonably priced digital bundles on their website. There's also always Amazonk.

I can only assure that it's so completely worth it and since there's only two dudes running the show creatively, Mignola and Arcudi, there's not another universe out there that's as consistent or tightly plotted.

NawidA

Banned
And the Abe Sapien and Lobster Johnson trades.

And also there are a few BPRD trades (1946, 1947, Being Human) that aren't collected in the Omnibuses, which ONLY has the Plague Of Frogs books. But, naturally, all of them are critically important and rewarding.
Those are going to be collected in a omnibus as well, presumably when the 1940's arc finishes.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Oy, check out this cover for Catwoman #0

D8HAPl.jpg

I haven't even seen the second movie. Pretty unrelated.

It's definitely a costly undertaking, especially the way DH prices their trades, but they do have reasonably priced digital bundles on their website. There's also always Amazonk.

I can only assure that it's so completely worth it and since there's only two dudes running the show creatively, Mignola and Arcudi, there's not another universe out there that's as consistent or tightly plotted.

Cool, thanks. I'll have to put this universe a little higher on my list of comics to start.

Ever since Kate Beaton's Strong Female Characters, it's kinda hard for me not to laugh at any cover featuring some variation on the impossible ass + tits pose.

Owzers

At this point, Catwoman might as well not even have a head. Since i'm not dropping all of dc yet :p, i'm going to only buy the Zero issues that sound really good.

*looks at sales charts* Defenders is TANKING harder than i would ever imagine. Just below Green Arrow at #99 out of 100.

I have to give a round of applause to Guillem March for finding a way to get both Catwoman's ass AND breasts in the same cover while doing the required "Hero leaps through the original cover" requirement DC gave him.

That's some kind of talent.

Owzers

I have to give a round of applause to Guillem March for finding a way to get both Catwoman's ass AND breasts in the same cover while doing the required "Hero leaps through the original cover" requirement DC gave him.

That's some kind of talent.

I kind of saw it as a race between her head, breasts, and butt, all leaping for the finish line to be first. Not sure which will win.

to sum up the cancellations:

Gone:

Voodoo
Resurrection Man
Captain Atom
JLI

Replaced with:

Sword and Sorcery
Team Seven ( not the kid from married with children)
Phantom Stranger
Talon

All are getting 0 issues in September though...i think.

And Lobdell is officially taking over Superman at issue Zero with Rocafort on art. They should just have Liefield and Lobdell write all of DC's books imo.

Yep, that's all of them. The brah on Bleeding Cool that's been on top of all DC stuff said that they had to hold for books back from Wave Three and they will be released soon. Must be when the Cyborg book will be coming.

Rockafort is leaving Redhood? Damn.

And I'm going to be able to get Sullivan's Sluggers!

Awesome news with Lobdell taking over Supes! He's rocking it on Teen Titans/Superboy and Red Hood! *happydance*

Too bad Rocafort cannot be cloned to keep him on Red Hood too.

I kind of saw it as a race between her head, breasts, and butt, all leaping for the finish line to be first. Not sure which will win.

to sum up the cancellations:

Gone:

Voodoo
Resurrection Man
Captain Atom
JLI

Too bad for Resurrection Man, but it was fun for what it was. Surprised at JLI, I mean sure it was terrible, but wasn't it selling okay? Only read the first issue of Captain Atom but that was pretty bad.

And Lobdell is officially taking over Superman at issue Zero with Rocafort on art. They should just have Liefield and Lobdell write all of DC's books imo.

I've always thought of him as a mediocre writer but what I read of his Superboy wasn't that bad. What is this, the 3rd, 4th creative team that book has had so far?

Owzers

Is anyone reading Superman now? It seemed to get pretty poor reviews all around and a creative hot-potato and i never gave it a chance because i hated the preview pages where they had Clark go to Lois' door and her boyfriend answered and it was all depressing and not something i cared to give money to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom