• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just bought Xbox Series X

Pretty much for the same reason im sure everyone else is right now being Starfield. But i also did it because my 2080Ti is really being tested with the newer releases at least in 4k. Anyways , its my first time owning an Xbox since the One X a few years back and i must say as familiar as it is (because not much has changed) the Ui is still the best amongst the three consoles in terms of intuitiveness and response and Game Pass really is the best deal in gaming regardless of what people may feel in terms of it being a positive thing for the industry or not. Also i notice that Xbox socially speaking really seems to be a much more active space when it comes to people just joining parties to catch up and just reconnect almost like i never left the platform. Felt that way before and it still seems to be true. I know the platform lacks the exclusives that Playstation has and theres no debating that but i think their ABK deal and Bethesda deal makes it very clear they are making that big investment into the gaming space and procuring exclusives the way people have been patiently waiting for. I guess what im trying to say is it feels good to be back on the box. Bring on the cynicism lol . So excited to get into Starfield in the coming weeks !

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Joining Welcome Home GIF

Series X is a great system and with Game Pass its a fantastic value. Enjoy it!

I recommend you also play Grounded. Fantastic in co-op and well designed. Forza Horizon 5 is a fun arcade racer as well. Psychonauts 2 is very good too and you can never go wrong with Sea of Thieves for some pirate shenanigans.

Last edited:

Zuzu

Congratulations! I love the multiplayer and social aspect of Xbox. I think they still have a better social/multiplayer ecosystem than Playstation (or maybe it’s because I’m more familiar with it).

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa
2080TI is at least on par or better than series X what you doing OP. 2080TI isnt the problem, your ram or cpu is
I have 32g of corsair ram and my cpu i wanna say was a top intel sku from 2018 when i built it. 2080ti is really a great 1440p card but very mid tier for 4K. And yes i understand the Series X GPU is more akin to a 2070 Super but there is something to be said about optimization for consoles being a bit better than PC these days. Theres also other components in these consoles design besides the GPU that don’t necessarily paint the whole picture from a capability standpoint as black and white as what the power of the GPU is. All in all though i do love my PC and it can run 4k games but in my experience the tinkering ive had to do with settings in the more recent releases has been annoying and always usually involves A.i upscaling (dlss) which is a brilliant technique but everyone knows it creates a little bit of a muddiness to the image and the overall sharpness of the 4k in turn for better performance. In my experience i like the way Cyberpunk looks more on my Xbox than my Pc and i spent 30 minutes at least messing with the settings trying to get 60 fps at 4k and had to sacrifice some texture qualities, shadowing, etc.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
It’s a great system and it feels like great timing to get one. GamePass has been pretty sparse the last couple of months imo but looks like things are getting back on track alongside the StarField release.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

I have 32g of corsair ram and my cpu i wanna say was a top intel sku from 2018 when i built it. 2080ti is really a great 1440p card but very mid tier for 4K. And yes i understand the Series X GPU is more akin to a 2070 Super but there is something to be said about optimization for consoles being a bit better than PC these days. Theres also other components in these consoles design besides the GPU that don’t necessarily paint the whole picture from a capability standpoint as black and white as what the power of the GPU is. All in all though i do love my PC and it can run 4k games but in my experience the tinkering ive had to do with settings in the more recent releases has been annoying and always usually involves A.i upscaling (dlss) which is a brilliant technique but everyone knows it creates a little bit of a muddiness to the image and the overall sharpness of the 4k in turn for better performance. In my experience i like the way Cyberpunk looks more on my Xbox than my Pc and i spent 30 minutes at least messing with the settings trying to get 60 fps at 4k and had to sacrifice some texture qualities, shadowing, etc.

First of, the xbox is great and if you enjoy it nobody can knock you for it.

But your 2080ti is more powerful than it even with the "secret sauce console optimization" which is just a combination of low/medium settings and FSR (which is worse than DLSS). It is not more capable of running native 4k than the 2080ti. In fact you probably will be able to run Starfield at 60 fps on it while its locked to 30fps on console.

First of, the xbox is great and if you enjoy it nobody can knock you for it.

But your 2080ti is more powerful than it even with the "secret sauce console optimization" which is just a combination of low/medium settings and FSR (which is worse than DLSS). It is not more capable of running native 4k than the 2080ti. In fact you probably will be able to run Starfield at 60 fps on it while its locked to 30fps on console.
Fair enough. Definitely sounds like youre more knowledgeable than me so ill take your word for it. But like i said in my experience with Cyberpunk i actually felt like i was getting a better experience on Series X. And even with everything you said im telling you i really tweaked with the settings for the game on Pc for somewhere between 30 and 45 minutes and really had to sacrifice more important aspects (textures, shadowing) for me to get decent performance in 4k. Admittedly my point of view could be skewed because of a few factors. It could be the tedious nature of messing with settings with the more current releases and just the overall upkeep of a PC and me being sorta over it. The constant gauging of performance on PC with an fps counter and other statistics and whatnot. And lastly it could be me just wanting an excuse to buy an Xbox for a bunch of reasons that i talked about in my original post ( ui experience, social aspect, accessing my xbox library again). But i do stick to enjoying Cyberpunk more visually on the Series X. Maybe my eyes deceive me who knows lol.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Fair enough. Definitely sounds like youre more knowledgeable than me so ill take your word for it. But like i said in my experience with Cyberpunk i actually felt like i was getting a better experience on Series X. And even with everything you said im telling you i really tweaked with the settings for the game on Pc for somewhere between 30 and 45 minutes and really had to sacrifice more important aspects (textures, shadowing) for me to get decent performance in 4k. Admittedly my point of view could be skewed because of a few factors. It could be the tedious nature of messing with settings with the more current releases and just the overall upkeep of a PC and me being sorta over it. The constant gauging of performance on PC with an fps counter and other statistics and whatnot. And lastly it could be me just wanting an excuse to buy an Xbox for a bunch of reasons that i talked about in my original post ( ui experience, social aspect, accessing my xbox library again). But i do stick to enjoying Cyberpunk more visually on the Series X. Maybe my eyes deceive me who knows lol.
As I said, if its what you enjoy no one can knock you for it. The series X is a great piece of kit regardless of PC performance. Messing with settings can indeed be tedious for sure vs plug and play.

As I said, if its what you enjoy no one can knock you for it. The series X is a great piece of kit regardless of PC performance. Messing with settings can indeed be tedious for sure vs plug and play.
I gotta say too i also have loved the product and brand since its inception and really had every intention of getting a Series X at launch but they really gave me no reasons to do that especially having a higher end PC. And just being plugged into things and seeing some of the moves theyve been making lately it feels like a good time to jump in (360 slogan pun not intended) and vote with my wallet and let them know i like what im seeing from them. Theres something to be said about the Play Anywhere stuff and their investment in building up their first party and making these acquisitions and deals( Kojima , ff14) showing theyre all in on fixing whats been wrong from an exclusive games standpoint and some missing 3rd party support. Gamepass’ value cannot be overstated and having all those games right off the bat is incredible no way around it. Seeing the Persona games and all these other publishers add their titles is crazy plus new cods im guessing will be day 1 game pass as well now too. And lastly not for nothing i understand theres a monthly fee and whatnot but having to only come out of pocket $30 bucks to get the ultimate edition and early access to Starfield just makes me wanna hug somebody lol I know eventually theyll get all that money but it doesnt happen all in that moment and i get all these games to soften the blow and that i am thankful for 😅 Viva la Microsoft lol

Last edited:

unlurkified

Also im playing Halo Infinites campaign co-operatively with a bud and im really enjoying it so far !
At the end right now on heroic and it honestly feels as good or better than I remember Halo 3 to be. Turned out to be one of my favorite fps campaigns of all time. Definitely up there with Doom Eternal, Bioshock, Fear, etc.

Also, having an X to go back and play last gen games at good settings is a great reason to have one imo.

Last edited:
Pretty much for the same reason im sure everyone else is right now being Starfield. But i also did it because my 2080Ti is really being tested with the newer releases at least in 4k. Anyways , its my first time owning an Xbox since the One X a few years back and i must say as familiar as it is (because not much has changed) the Ui is still the best amongst the three consoles in terms of intuitiveness and response and Game Pass really is the best deal in gaming regardless of what people may feel in terms of it being a positive thing for the industry or not. Also i notice that Xbox socially speaking really seems to be a much more active space when it comes to people just joining parties to catch up and just reconnect almost like i never left the platform. Felt that way before and it still seems to be true. I know the platform lacks the exclusives that Playstation has and theres no debating that but i think their ABK deal and Bethesda deal makes it very clear they are making that big investment into the gaming space and procuring exclusives the way people have been patiently waiting for. I guess what im trying to say is it feels good to be back on the box. Bring on the cynicism lol . So excited to get into Starfield in the coming weeks !
Welcome back to the gang. Series X is a wonderful console The UI is so much better than the One and also the PS5 one, I also love how much easier and better it is when it comes to saves and logging in which are just tied to the gamer tag not the console like with SONY (activate or deactivate console)

I hope your TV supports 120 and VRR because that's when the Series X really comes alive. Just need a few more games now to really use the hardware

Mr.ODST

Series X is a great system and with Game Pass its a fantastic value. Enjoy it!

I recommend you also play Grounded. Fantastic in co-op and well designed. Forza Horizon 5 is a fun arcade racer as well. Psychonauts 2 is very good too and you can never go wrong with Sea of Thieves for some pirate shenanigans.
Grounded is an excellent co-op game, just tried it with a friend a year ago and ended up spending 2 weeks doing everything, been more updates aswell so need to buy a Series X again and try it out

Porticus

Are you trolling? You have a 2080ti and you expect to have a better experience with an Xbox Series X? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

"But i also did it because my 2080Ti is really being tested with the newer releases at least in 4k"

Enjoy your last releases at 60fps/1440p, good downgrade though! Phil would be proud of you.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Make sure you buy loads of controllers, If there is one thing Microsoft is good at...its making awesome versions of their controllers!

lol

Reactions: Isa

FunkMiller

Gold Member
The Series X is a tremendous console. I hope yours doesn’t collect dust in a corner like so many others, because Microsoft can’t be fucked to actually support it properly.

Riky

$MSFT
Great time to jump in now all the first party software is lining up, although you have a great deal of variety in the back catalogue with Hi Fi Rush, Flight Simulator, Gears Tactics, Deathloop, Pentiment, Halo Infinite and Forza Horizon 5.
Enjoy.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member

Nice 👍
Now play these :

- Panzer Dragoon Orta via BC
- Ninja Gaiden 2 via BC
- Quantum Break
- Ryse son of Rome
- Gears 3 expansion (Hive busters)

- Red dead redemption - you basically get the "new" port for free (4K/30)

Also, one of the Xbox's nicest features is the ability to create folders aka "Pins" for your games/apps.

Be kinda careful with the quick resume feature since it's kinda wonky with some games (i.e : some games crash back to the dashboard/some games don't unlock achievements while suspended etc etc).

Next month of GP is gonna be good, enjoy

Last edited:

Elysium44

Banned

Hang on, so you have a PC better than a Series X already but you bought the console to play Starfield at 30fps?

Elysium44

Banned
Great time to jump in now all the first party software is lining up, although you have a great deal of variety in the back catalogue with Hi Fi Rush, Flight Simulator, Gears Tactics, Deathloop, Pentiment, Halo Infinite and Forza Horizon 5.
Enjoy.

Which they could already play on their powerful PC.

Congratulations!

I did have a Series X for a while at the start of the generation because it was my plan to return to consoles but I decided to just upgrade my PC. If anything happened to my PC i'd run out and get a Series X lol.

Elysium44

Banned
Its their choice, I have a powerful PC but prefer to play the games on my TV with my console and then carry my save on PC etc

Take your console warring bullshit elsewhere, just because someone has a preferred way to play that isn't a PS5 fml

It isn't console warring. He already has a PC which he can play all Xbox games on and use the Xbox social features he says he got it for?

Who mentioned PS5 btw? Did I mention it?

I mean forgive me but I thought the OP wanted opinions and discussion.

Last edited:
Top Bottom