• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More than 80% of PS5 Owners Don't Have an Xbox Series X|S, SIE data reveals

MikeM

I'm not really doing it as an FU to Microsoft. It's not that serious. I'm buying it on Steam because I prefer Steam's store and general interface. Simple as that. I'm a consumer. I don't get hung up which box or who's company is better and I certainly don't care enough to say FU to anybody.

Microsoft made Starfield available on Steam. That was their choice. So how much of an FU is it really since you're still buying their game on a platform they chose to make it available on?

Don't be a fan boy bro...you look silly

Edit: actually, fuck Jim Ryan, Aaron Greenberg and Matt Booty. I just don't like how they do things
Never said I was buying it. I’m renting it off GP for a fraction of the price.

How can I be a fanboy with a PC and a PS5? I’m not a fanboy- i’m a hater of mega corps swallowing other mega corps because they can’t manage their own IP properly, then play the “can’t compete” victim card.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Never said I was buying it. I’m renting it off GP for a fraction of the price.

How can I be a fanboy with a PC and a PS5? I’m not a fanboy- i’m a hater of mega corps swallowing other mega corps because they can’t manage their own IP properly, then play the “can’t compete” victim card.
Soooooo...its still a fuck you because you're subscribing to their service? Even if it is for a fraction of the price...you're still giving them money.

If you hate megacorporations so much eating up other megacorporations then I suppose you rent your TV too. The food you buy, the medicine you take. Don't fuckin try to generalize this shit like we don't know who you're talking about.

Translation: I'm a hater of Microsoft because they can't manage their own IP properly, then play the can't compete victim card.

It's not a victim card, it's a goddammit fact. In the console space, Microsoft can't compete. A decade of trying has gotten them no where in regards to this. So they pivoted. And closet fanboys like you are pissed about it because they are choosing to play a different game where SONY can't compete. Now you mad.

I dont want Microsoft to buy up the industry either...but its for very different reasons than preserving Sony's dominance. I couldn't care less. I want things to be neck and neck because that is the best thing for the consumer. I think continued pursuance of these devs and publishers will lead to another lopsided situation just in the other direction. That's also not good.

Methos#1975

I think ultimately many people, especially right now due to the economy, just cannot justify owning two $500 consoles and so they go with the PS5 because the Playstation simply a more reliable brand historically. If the economic realities were different, we would probably see vastly more three console homes.

MikeM

Soooooo...its still a fuck you because you're subscribing to their service? Even if it is for a fraction of the price...you're still giving them money.

If you hate megacorporations so much eating up other megacorporations then I suppose you rent your TV too. The food you buy, the medicine you take. Don't fuckin try to generalize this shit like we don't know who you're talking about.

Translation: I'm a hater of Microsoft because they can't manage their own IP properly, then play the can't compete victim card.

It's not a victim card, it's a goddammit fact. In the console space, Microsoft can't compete. A decade of trying has gotten them no where in regards to this. So they pivoted. And closet fanboys like you are pissed about it because they are choosing to play a different game where SONY can't compete. Now you mad.

I dont want Microsoft to buy up the industry either...but its for very different reasons than preserving Sony's dominance. I couldn't care less. I want things to be neck and neck because that is the best thing for the consumer. I think continued pursuance of these devs and publishers will lead to another lopsided situation just in the other direction. That's also not good.
Why so mad man? Sound like you are taking this personally. *virtual hug*

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Why so mad man? Sound like you are taking this personally. *virtual hug*
No I'm just naturally a very abrasive, blunt and no-nonsense person. I get told that all the time. I guess it shows through text too.

Last edited:

Markio128

I purchased my Xbox primarily for Starfield

Wouldn’t have otherwise unless Fable or Perfect Dark ended up being great
Same. I’d have parted ways with mine by now if not for Starfield. Very little else interests me sadly. Maybe Forza, but then I’m not really hyped for it due to GT7 and VR.

sendit

Have a PS5. Sold my Series X for PC.

There are no console exclusives from Xbox, so next to no reason to own one.
A lot of people here don't like to hear this. However, Microsoft completely gutted their consoles by doing day 1 PC releases.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
PS5 and Xbox Series have at least 95% redundant game libraries, obviously there isn't going to be a great deal of overlap.

One title is only going to move the needle so much. Even the best selling PS5 games have attach rates of less than 10%. If 3% of PS5 owners buy a Series S for Starfield that would be a massive, massive win.

Switch overlaps with PS5 to a much greater extent because the libraries are much more divergent (especially among the best selling titles) and because it offers substantially different functionality from PS5 in the form of portability.

FWIW I am in the 20%, I have a PS5 in my personal office/game room, and an Xbox Series S in the family room. The wife and kid really love Game Pass because they can just browse and sample things and they don't care as much about AAA stuff, so it's a great second console and more than earns its value.

But if I was living alone it would be fairly pointless/redundant in my life.

SF Kosmo

A lot of people here don't like to hear this. However, Microsoft completely gutted their consoles by doing day 1 PC releases.
I don't think they care though. If they are selling those games and getting Game Pass subs it all works.

80% of PS5 owners don't have either Xbox, and 50% of Series S owners are new.

Seems like there's a lot of audience that neither company is really tapping into so far this gen.

Name them.
I am not going to go through a hundred titles, but I will provide two per category.
EGS: Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5+2.5 ReMIX, Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1+2
EAO: Battlefield 4, EA Sports PGA Tour
UBI: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands, Watch Dogs Legion
BLIZ: Diablo II Resurrected, Overwatch 2

P.S. Some games like Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled are not even available on PC.

Last edited:

soulbait

I guess I am one of the rare ones that owns them all. :messenger_beaming:

But if you have a PS5 and you like to game on PCs (I am not a huge fan of PC gaming), you still get to play most Xbox games anyways. I wonder if there is a larger percentage if you flip the statistic around, from Xbox's perspective: how many Xbox players have a PS5 as well.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I am not going to go through a hundred titles, but I will provide two per category.
EGS: Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5+2.5 ReMIX, Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1+2
EAO: Battlefield 4, EA Sports PGA Tour
UBI: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands, Watch Dogs Legion
BLIZ: Diablo II Resurrected, Overwatch 2

P.S. Some games like Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled are not even available on PC.
Can't say for sure for all those, but in what dimension the bolded are best experiences on console???

dcx4610

Why would you unless you just like collecting consoles? I’m primarily a PC gamer and own a PS5 to have a console in the living room and for exclusives. If the Xbox had the exclusives, that’s what I’d have.

I think the Series X is an excellent piece of hardware and prefer it to the PS5 but without exclusives, it’s just a powerful multiplat box and if you have a PC, there is no point.

marquimvfs

That number alone doesn't mean much, right? I mean, we all know that my hypothesis isn't true, but, excluding the people that have more than one console, the number of people that have only an xbox could be bigger than people that have only a PS5. Like I said, I know that's not true, but while we don't have the real total sales number, we don't know shit. This kind of isolated data can be used to fit whatever narrative you're using to prove a point. Without the complete numbers, we cannot know for sure how behind Microsoft really is. Maybe it isn't as bad as we think (and they made sound with this sigle data).

Crayon

PS5 and Xbox Series have at least 95% redundant game libraries, obviously there isn't going to be a great deal of overlap.

Mostsly. Depending on how you count it. Sony's own output obviously curbstomps but that is really a tiny fraction of total library. I consider total library an under-recognized factor that is equally important to exlusives.

So that includes the 500 or whatever 360 games that run on xbox. Of course they are older and most people really don't give a shit.
And it includes the vast number of middling jrps and vn's that only show up on ps. And of course most people dont really give a shit about those.

On balance, I'd say the total ps library is better and makes the xbox redundant, but if you prefer and xbox you are not missing THAT much in the scheme of things. The ps is effectively redundant in that case. The exception is people who really are swayed to spend 3,4,500 for 1 or 3 games they really want. That's not many, though.

Hudo

That means there are still PS5 owners who are not absolutely loyal to Sony and therefore are traitors in the console war!

Crayon

That means there are still PS5 owners who are not absolutely loyal to Sony and therefore are traitors in the console war!

Not for long.

rY2T4z.gif

SF Kosmo

Mostsly. Depending on how you count it. Sony's own output obviously curbstomps but that is really a tiny fraction of total library. I consider total library an under-recognized factor that is equally important to exlusives.

So that includes the 500 or whatever 360 games that run on xbox. Of course they are older and most people really don't give a shit.
And it includes the vast number of middling jrps and vn's that only show up on ps. And of course most people dont really give a shit about those.

On balance, I'd say the total ps library is better and makes the xbox redundant, but if you prefer and xbox you are not missing THAT much in the scheme of things. The ps is effectively redundant in that case. The exception is people who really are swayed to spend 3,4,500 for 1 or 3 games they really want. That's not many, though.
Right, like if you are into those two or three big AAAA Sony games that come out each year, then you've already gone and bought your PlayStation, and the amount of additional value to be gleaned from the Xbox library is comparatively small. But not every gamer cares about those sorts of games.

What Xbox has going for it are 1) Game Pass is still arguably the better subscription service, and 2) Series S low price point as an entry level or secondary console. I would guess the latter is probably a lot of that 20%. People don't want to pay $500 for a second console, but Switch and Series S are more appealing for that need.

Last edited:

Humdinger

Iirc, the percentages are similar here on GAF. Only about 20% own both a PS5 and Xbox series X or S. It might be a little higher, but it's in that same range.

Check steam reviews or forums for the exclusive stuff. People have problems playing these titles on PC. On consoles they just load them up and play.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Only 20% are dual console owners. Out of the rest of the 80%, a large percentage would not even be interested in playing Starfield. How many more will become a dual console owner because of just 1 game? That's an interesting question.

Why does this matter at all lol, this is a survey/stat of PS5 owners. Not a survey of people who own Xboxes as their primary or only console.

What a bizarre line of statements to make in the OP on just one sided data.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Check steam reviews or forums for the exclusive stuff. People have problems playing these titles on PC. On consoles they just load them up and play.
I don't need to check any forum or review. I play those games. Some don't even have DRM like Overwatch 2. It is always online just as on consoles.

When it comes to my PC, publishers can launch those straight up their own asses. I have had too many issues to allow this trash on my PC or to be locked out of things I payed for.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
When it comes to my PC, publishers can launch those straight up their own asses. I have had too many issues to allow this trash on my PC or to be locked out of things I payed for.
Like be locked out of online play without paying for PSN+ or XBL after you already paid for the game?

I don't play online myself. I just help others that do. Never payed for an online game subscription and never will. Everything worth playing for me must work without it.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Why does this matter at all lol, this is a survey/stat of PS5 owners. Not a survey of people who own Xboxes as their primary or only console.

What a bizarre line of statements to make in the OP on just one sided data.
It matters if the question is how many people may buy a second console to play another game. It could be a God of War Ragnarok for Xbox users or Starfield for a PlayStation owners.

yazenov

I'm actually surprised it's that high, as you don't really need an Xbox to play their 1st party games, and it has been rather dry over there, game release wise.

A smarter choice would be to upgrade their PC, or get a Switch instead to be honest.

adamsapple

It matters if the question is how many people may buy a second console to play another game. It could be a God of War Ragnarok for Xbox users or Starfield for a PlayStation owners.

I don't agree with the whole angle of 'how will it effect starfield because most PS5 owners don't have an Xbox".

You can also say it like "how will it effect Ragnarok sales because X number of people own Xboxes".

There's no sense in drawing equivalency. It's not the same venn diagram overlap necessarily.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I don't agree with the whole angle of 'how will it effect starfield because most PS5 owners don't have an Xbox".

You can also say it like "how will it effect Ragnarok sales because X number of people own Xboxes".

There's no sense in drawing equivalency. It's not the same venn diagram overlap necessarily.
It's very significant because this data tells us the current percentage of dual console owners.

Not everybody will get both Xbox and PlayStation. And now we have data that only 1 out of 5 people does that.

This can lead to very fruitful discussions about multiple important things:
  • The viability of Series S as a "secondary console to go with the PS5",
  • Whether Starfield will be enough for the average gamer to buy a Series S or Series X to play it.
  • And whether making Starfield exclusive was the right choice -- especially if it only moves a tiny, tiny volume of consoles. And if the majority of people just decide not to buy a second console and just not play Starfield.

adamsapple

It's very significant because this data tells us the current percentage of dual console owners.

Not everybody will get both Xbox and PlayStation. And now we have data that only 1 out of 5 people does that.

This can lead to very fruitful discussions about multiple important things:
  • The viability of Series S as a "secondary console to go with the PS5",
  • Whether Starfield will be enough for the average gamer to buy a Series S or Series X to play it.
  • And whether making Starfield exclusive was the right choice -- especially if it only moves a tiny, tiny volume of consoles. And if the majority of people just decide not to buy a second console and just not play Starfield.

Ok, that's what I'm talking about. This data is internal survey of primarily PS5 owners. It does not factor Xbox only owners, or people who own Xbox as their primary console. Or people who own neither and plan to pick up either Xbox.

Why are you framing it that Starfield must absolutely convert a big portion of that 80% of PS5-only owners to be successful. You're just putting arbitrary clauses here.

Starfield will absolutely get some hardware and game pass subs across, no doubt about that. It doesn't need to convert the PS5 only owners to be successful at that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom