• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just got my console (and I assume my account) banned from Live for playing Halo 4.

I got ~$150 for my banned console and a few games I won't ever play again. It cost me a relatively small amount of cash to get a new console to enjoy my 60+ 360 titles; and I already had Gold cards laying around from last year's BF sales.

I'm not the most knowledgable person on the "banned" console subject, but if he sold his "banned" console, can a store or another get it "unbanned" easily? Or is this screwing someone else over?

You have a proof or MS that he stole game ? Sorry but without it it's "if" scenario.

I'm pretty sure that store selling copy before release date is more than believable than dude is "thief" which is very very very very low chance.

Any other person who works retail in this thread comment that if they did actually receive Halo 4 two weeks prior to launch? His picture does show him having a real copy but two weeks early is impressively early. Doesn't make him a thief but does make people just walking in to his thread want to know more details on how Halo 4 was shipped to retailers.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Yeah this is going a bit over board. Its not piracy if the player owns a physical copy. MS should just let it go, honestly.

Why risk all the negative PR and trouble over something this clear?

EDIT: unless he like.... STOLE that physical copy. In that case, you should be banned from more than just LIVE.

This is still rather unnecessary to ban. He has a real copy. It could be me or you in that scenario and maybe we threw away the receipt.

Even if he stole it, he could lie and say whatever but the bottom line is he has a real copy. He could have gone to a friends house who somehow got a copy and stole his copy and it would still not justify the ban from Microsoft's end. I don't advocate stealing but the end result of obtaining a non pirated copy is the same.

Assumptions:

1. Microsoft bans without any thresold those who play early.
2. Skelington was banned for violating no terms of service, neither anything that would warrant a console ban.
3. Microsoft call skelington uncooperative for not ratting away the store.

All of the above is extremely abusive in case skelington told us the truth (and I can assume he did as this would warrant a ban in GAF, why making it for getting owned afterwards?) and anyone in favor of it should feel bad for what's to come later on.

Didn't he send an unaltered receipt, that would make point #3 moot would it not? The receipt number and store info would have to be on it.

This whole thread is sorta bizzare.

Stumbled across this thread this weekend it made me chuckle:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=357850

I have to say that, even if I'm still against MS position in the banning, their customer service has been great for me, at least recently.

I had a problem with my account (somehow corrupted), and I pressed a button on the customer service and they called me inmediately, and the woman on the phone was assisting me during more than an hour until we fixed the issue, very kindly.

this is all because of Piracy really.

remember how for years, MS would have ban waves and then the pirates would come up with better anti-detection methods?

the pirates won.

this is Microsoft's last desperate attempt at ... well, nothing really, since pirates just have to wait until the launch date like everyone else. only the idiots and legit users who get the game early are affected.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
I can see his history of his skel1ngt0n account. He owns about 75 games. Around 50 of those games have zero achievements, his gamer score is only 4000ish which seems low for how long he's been gaming and how many games he owns. Some of the games in the picture he posted such as portal 2, new Vegas, blood bowl, blops 2, shift, etc dont show up on his game history. Which means he took the packaging off but never booted them up, not even once. Odd no?

I've gotten a few games before release and always got a receipt and i always run the game to make sure it works before tossing the receipt. (I've seen improperly pressed discs before)

IMO considering how many games the OP owns but has never played I would say he's either an ocd collector or a pirate who got banned then ran out to buy a copy of halo 4 to save his account. Usually pirates will download a bunch of games, run them once to see if they work but never actually play them.

Not sure if anyone has brought this up(not going through the entire thread) but it's my 2cents. If the OP is innocent then the situation sucks but there's too much evidence saying otherwise.

If anybody doxxed my steam account in a similar manner, I'd probably face similar piracy accusations.

Kind of late but I'm in the same situation as Lexi. If you look at my steam account you would see that most of my games on steam (out of 165) have few or no achievements because I buy too mucha nd play too little. Sometimes I buy games on Steam even though I already had it for my PS3 or other platforms. It is not an indication of piracy.

Whatever the case might be, it is pretty shitty of MS to ban players for playing a game before release date. The average consumer who has no idea when the release date is will end up suffering if he or she even accidentally purchases a copy from a shop that decided to break the dates. Piracy is only one of the possible reasons for someone to have early access to a game.

Top Bottom