• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just got my console (and I assume my account) banned from Live for playing Halo 4.

ymmv

Banned
I'm on vacation, skeilington's case is VERY complicated and his own story didn't help him at all. As I am sure he would admit himself. The work we're doing to fix his case is outside of normal policy. I will send a reminder mail. He is still at the mercy of his own actions however, which again, while unfortunate, are not in any way normal or represntative of a typical case.

Damage control? Wat. Read the whole thread plz. It is by no means cut and dry.

This kind of treatment of legit customers who buy legit games is shameful. I can understand banning pirates, but banning gamers with legal, retail copies of a game? Disgraceful. There's no excuse whatsoever.

mhi

Seems like people responding don't know the whole story. Particularly on how the copy was acquired.

Mudkips

Banned
I'm not seeing how this case is "VERY complicated" outside of MS having terrible policies and customer service for Live, as usual.

LowParry

There isn't much of an issue any longer. OP bought a new system. He gets to play. Time to move on and learn from this story. MS customer service sucks.

mhi

Like he got the game from a store that sold it before the official release date?

Here is what the MS rep said. Read between the lines and you can see there is something more going on.

...VERY complicated and his own story didn't help him at all. As I am sure he would admit himself.

ampere

Sounds like a complicated part of the story is that he claims to have bought the game before release date without a receipt, for those who missed that detail. Not saying he stole it, but without the receipt it makes this a lot harder to fix.

mavs

Sounds like a complicated part of the story is that he claims to have bought the game before release date without a receipt, for those who missed that detail. Not saying he stole it, but without the receipt it makes this a lot harder to fix.

Has a receipt made a difference for anyone else who got banned? Some companies just can't be reasoned with.

ampere

Making the assumption that the bannings for this are automatic, I was trying to defend Stinkles when he said this situation for attempting to reverse the ban is complicated.

I doubt Stinkles is in control of the pre-release banning policy. I would agree that the policy should be changed to a ban for that game until street date or just not having servers up yet.

If the posters in this thread were decision makers in the gaming industry we'd already have hit 1983 levels of failure. Durp everything should be free, durp fuck the rules, durp kotick rape...sad.

This seems no different than DRM that fucks over the legit paying customer while the pirate uses an exploit to work around it.

Z_Y

He could have grabbed it out of a box at the store when no one was looking and ran for it.

So Xbox Live is enforcing laws now?

Hope none of you young guys decide to underage drink in front of your Kinect.

Edit: just how close are we to getting console bans for playing used/borrowed games? Scary thought there.

he had a legit copy. it doesnt fucking matter. it was not pirated.

To his knowledge it is legit, but that's a big difference from it actually being legit. The store he bought it from seems shady, no receipt, didn't even ring it up, and he isn't willing to implicate the place he purchased it from. I would be willing to bet it was a stolen copy that Skelly got for a deep discount, that's the only logical reason for not wanting to disclose retailer info or having a receipt.

To his knowledge it is legit, but that's a big difference from it actually being legit. The store he bought it from seems shady, no receipt, didn't even ring it up, and he isn't willing to implicate the place he purchased it from. I would be willing to bet it was a stolen copy that Skelly got for a deep discount, that's the only logical reason for not wanting to disclose retailer info or having a receipt.

Just about every Mom and Pop game store manages to keep a very very very loyal customer base by selling games under the table early. Yeah, they're breaking an agreement with the publisher but they are not stolen copies and the customer is not at fault nor should be required to snitch on the store. Hell I doubt most of these stores would be able to compete with Gamestop otherwise.

He knew he was breaking the rules...period.

Where is the receipt dated 10/29.....?

Another poster showed a receipt and still nothing was done to get him unbanned.

Anything else?

....He did show the receipt.

mavs

If the posters in this thread were decision makers in the gaming industry we'd already have hit 1983 levels of failure. Durp everything should be free, durp fuck the rules, durp kotick rape...sad.

Right buying games in stores and playing them would kill the industry. Joke poster?

Just about every Mom and Pop game store manages to keep a very very very loyal customer base by selling games under the table early. Yeah, they're breaking an agreement with the publisher but they are not stolen copies and the customer is not at fault nor should be required to snitch on the store. Hell I doubt most of these stores would be able to compete with Gamestop otherwise.

I don't even know any mom and pop game stores that sell new copies of games, they're all in the used business.

In any case, if he did buy it with no receipt then he took a chance and if he cares more about mom and pop than his own interests, that's on him as well. We don't know the details with him holding back info, so I'm not gonna jump up to defend him and blame MS when there is definitely something shady that went on with his transaction.

....He did show the receipt.

Link?

mavs

All we have is the op's word....and that word and 2 bucks buys me a coffee.

OP I don't really care about. If you don't keep your receipt I don't care what you bought, you deal with whatever happens to it. And he bought another console anyway so it seems there was a happy ending.

But it's not just the OP that had this issue, so his failure does not excuse Microsoft's much more serious problems.

MYeager

he had a legit copy. it doesnt fucking matter. it was not pirated.

A legit copy can be obtained illegitimately. There's not enough details about how the copy was obtained to really make an assumption one way or another. I hope he gets his GT back, unless he knowingly purchased a copy that 'fell off of a truck' or something.

Why should he have to show a receipt at all? Are MS the police? It's a legit copy of a game.

Were you there when he bought it? Buying it behind the counter prior to street date isn't "legit"...and hell who's to say that new reciept wasn't obtained to cover his ass? This isn't court...burden of proof is on OP.

If you buy something from someone that claims they can't give you a receipt for it yet, an alarm should go off in your head that something is fishy and you should just move along to another store. If that means not being able to yell FIRST!!!! on the Internet, then so be it. Conversely, Microsoft shouldn't be banning anyone ever for playing a retail copy of any game. If you can't control the distribution of your own games, then don't try to fix your own problem later by arbitrarily fucking random customers.

mavs

Why should he have to show a receipt at all? Are MS the police? It's a legit copy of a game.

The game shouldn't be available before the street date. So either the seller messed up or the customer didn't acquire it legitimately. Fortunately there's a simple thing legitimate customers get when they buy a game, that in theory they could present to Microsoft to clear up a misunderstanding.

Now the practice of release control may be questioned, but since it exists as a fact it means people playing before release dates raises red flags about them.

Well Stinkles initially said his copy wasn't legit, so maybe he knows something we don't.

In any case a post dated receipt proves nothing as he could have went and bought a new copy, not opened it and returned it for a full refund.

Receipts are important, because it proves you bought something legally to merchants and if you have any issues, they obviously come in handy.

Were you there when he bought it? Buying it behind the counter prior to street date isn't "legit"...and hell who's to say that new reciept wasn't obtained to cover his ass? This isn't court...burden of proof is on OP.

No the burden of proof should be on the company taking action to deny someone from a service they already paid for. Why the selective enforcement? Are you required to prove that every game you buy isn't stolen? Do you scan your receipts into your console Everytime you go online? Its a pretty clear case of MS being salty that a retailer broke street date and taking it out on the customer which is ridiculous.

Perhaps...just perhaps...that pist dated receipt is why he had to buy a new console....who buys shit without a receipt anyway?
Then why was he not informed that it wouldn't be enough and it would stay banned? Why a month of nothing? Why no follow up?

Everything aside, bureaucracy sucks. That's the end lesson here.

That's what he was asked to do yes.

A%20Digging.jpg

Seems like people responding don't know the whole story. Particularly on how the copy was acquired.
As long as he has a 360 that isn't modded and he used the actual retail disc to play the game, it shouldn't fucking matter. MS has no way of knowing how a game disc is acquired when they do the ban, and punishing a paying customer like this is beyond ridiculous. Again, he did not pirate the god damn game.

Top Bottom