• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Katawa Shoujo |OT| (VN, Free, Waifus, etc)

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Well for Emi I guess
running hard and collapsing at the track chooses her route?
The route is about pushing your limits, so yes. You were probably not as close to the Hanako route as you think if you ended up with Emi.

Jintor

The route is about pushing your limits, so yes. You were probably not as close to the Hanako route as you think if you ended up with Emi.

As far as I can tell, if you try and push yourself to compete with Emi at the track it locks you in the path forever.

Basically everything in the first act is important enough in determining who you chill at the festival with. If you fail to open up enough to anybody in particular the game will pretty much let you know.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Why can't there be more girls like Lilly in real life...wife material

Sure is 1950's in here >__>

Alright, I've started up the Hanako route, and might hit the Lilly route right afterwards since it's kind of right there, but maybe I should double back and shoot for the Rin route? Not sure, I'll have to see about it...

hclflow

I played through this... thing (mostly slack-jawed and befuddled), and I really question the intellect and social skills of anyone who's older than 14 and thinks that, A. the writing qualifies as anything beyond middling teenage fiction; and B. that this somehow qualifies as entertaining.

StayDead

Shizune is still by far my favourite character, quite possibly one of my favourite girls from any VN/game ever. If I could marry her right now I would.

survivor

Banned
I played through this... thing (mostly slack-jawed and befuddled), and I really question the intellect and social skills of anyone who's older than 14 and thinks that, A. the writing qualifies as anything beyond middling teenage fiction; and B. that this somehow qualifies as entertaining.

lol

stophavingfun.gif?

Well you see, I'm not some smug elitist jackass.

Instro

OEn8q.png

Bullza2o

I keep seeing this in the first page, so I assume it's popular with GAF. I'm about to try this game, but I'm wondering if this game is VN noob friendly. I have only played VNs on my DS (999, hotel dusk). Is this a good PC VN to start with?

I keep seeing this in the first page, so I assume it's popular with GAF. I'm about to try this game, but I'm wondering if this game is VN noob friendly. I have only played VNs on my DS (999, hotel dusk). Is this a good PC VN to start with?

You should be fine. It's mostly reading and making a few decisions here and there. It's like a Choose Your Own Adventure book. The game does have sexual scenarios but I think you can turn off the adult content if that weirds you out

hellclerk

What? You'll have to try again. All I got was, "I can't handle critical opinions contrary to my own!"

Y'see, that's not a critical opinion, that's a negative opinion. A critical opinion would be more in depth to the actual game you played, covering specific aspects. In addition, criticizing the intelligence of those who do enjoy it, both in terms of intellect and social skills, has no correlation to their enjoyment of media. At its heart, it's a simple romance story, and the romance genre is enjoyed by all types. If it's not your cup of tea, I honestly wonder why you played it in the first place. These sorts of games are pretty self-explanatory.

hclflow

Insulting people who enjoy this game isn't a "critical opinion"

If you were insulted by such a pedestrian thought, then it's probably just as well that you ignore my posts. Unless, of course, you care to respond to my brief assessment beyond a laugh and assuming I was insulting everyone who enjoyed it. My interest was piqued, and after my experience, I found the superlative claims of greatness to be, well, unfounded.

Here, being a good sport, I'll elaborate some more and try not to be so critical!

"Katawa Shoujo" serves as an excellent primer on communication for boys going through that special time in their sexual development when they may feel awkward or not quite sure how to approach social scenarios with girls for whom they may develop sexual attraction. In a breath of fresh air, the protagonist is greeted with a selection of potential romantic partners that all have some form of physical disability.

Particularly of note in this brilliant approach is how tactfully the writers tackle the stigmas which so many disabled people face in their daily lives. Best of all, the dialog is pitch-perfect for the intended audience. Readers won't have to bother wrestling with tedious soliloquies couched in metaphor or tackle complicated and morally ambiguous conflicts between members of the cast. Instead, "Katawa Shoujo" keeps it simple, providing plenty of luscious lolitas missing limbs and senses -- but not devoid of compelling and unique personalities, mind you -- for the sometimes-standoffish protagonist to develop and kindle warm, youthful virtual relationships with.

If I can provide some mild criticism, however, I must say it's unfortunate that while it is a free download, tissues still cost money. But, altogether, this is a great snag for any high-school freshman looking for some private help with common social situations with girls, and even those looking for some good, clean (except for that dirty shed scene) hentai fetish fun!

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
If you were insulted by such a pedestrian thought, then it's probably just as well that you ignore my posts. Unless, of course, you care to respond to my brief assessment beyond a laugh and assuming I was insulting everyone who enjoyed it. My interest was piqued, and after my experience, I found the superlative claims of greatness to be, well, unfounded.

Here, being a good sport, I'll elaborate some more and try not to be so critical!

"Katawa Shoujo" serves as an excellent primer on communication for boys going through that special time in their sexual development when they may feel awkward or not quite sure how to approach social scenarios with girls for whom they may develop sexual attraction. In a breath of fresh air, the protagonist is greeted with a selection of potential romantic partners that all have some form of physical disability.

Particularly of note in this brilliant approach is how tactfully the writers tackle the stigmas which so many disabled people face in their daily lives. Best of all, the dialog is pitch-perfect for the intended audience. Readers won't have to bother wrestling with tedious soliloquies couched in metaphor or tackle complicated and morally ambiguous conflicts between members of the cast. Instead, "Katawa Shoujo" keeps it simple, providing plenty of luscious lolitas missing limbs and senses -- but not devoid of compelling and unique personalities, mind you -- for the sometimes-standoffish protagonist to develop and kindle warm, youthful virtual relationships with.

If I can provide some mild criticism, however, I must say it's unfortunate that while it is a free download, tissues still cost money. But, altogether, this is a great snag for any high-school freshman looking for some private help with common social situations with girls, and even those looking for some good, clean (except for that dirty shed scene) hentai fetish fun!

You love to belittle people don't you?

CGibW.gif
"Look at these silly little boys, reading this story. Oh how pathetic they are.. ohohoho.."

survivor

Banned

It's funny watching people act smart

I can't say if it's a good VN to start with since I don't play that kind of games, but it's very different than 999 in story structure. If you are not into high school anime romance type of stuff you won't be entertained enough to keep playing.

thanks for the laugh ..

BTW , You're reading too much into this..

hellclerk

Implications that playing this game will help high school boys get girls

1UoIA.jpg

You played through the Emi route and didn't find any ambiguity? Pffft, why don't you go back and play your Bioshock. Clearly chosing between murdering little children and sparing them is much better than this pedestrian narrative.

Thoraxes

First time I get to use this:

michael-jordan-lolfcra6.gif

So I've done the Emi and Hanoka routes, I've never really played any VN's but the fact that the latter 2/3s is mostly reading and little choices I liked, is this a normal thing for the genre?

I think theres enough set up in the first act from the choices you make there to establish the characters and get you interested to just follow the story after that.

As for the two stories I have done I enjoyed Emi's more, the Hanoka one seemed to be alot slower and steadier pace right up until the end but I guess thats to do with the differing characters personalaties.

Might come back and do the other stories at a later time, from the thread it sounds like the Rin one is interesting.

Arol

Whoa, 999 and Hotel Dusk are VN's?

Sort of feel bad for not jumping on the hype train for those games. Been mostly lurking OT for a while. Might try to see if I can get them cheaply to play.

Thoraxes

Whoa, 999 and Hotel Dusk are VN's?

Sort of feel bad for not jumping on the hype train for those games. Been mostly lurking OT for a while. Might try to see if I can get them cheaply to play.

Yes, albeit a little more freedom upon the "traditional" VN formula. I would still say they're great nonetheless though.

Jintor

Mr Sesquipidelian Loquaciousness is pretty accurate in how the writing really plays upon the experiences of a person's first relationship.

So I've done the Emi and Hanoka routes, I've never really played any VN's but the fact that the latter 2/3s is mostly reading and little choices I liked, is this a normal thing for the genre?

Pretty much, yeah.

Thinking about it, it's basically all about making multiple individual stories, but in the same setting, and with the same main character. The different writers on each path really emphasise this, I think.

I think theres enough set up in the first act from the choices you make there to establish the characters and get you interested to just follow the story after that.

As for the two stories I have done I enjoyed Emi's more, the Hanoka one seemed to be alot slower and steadier pace right up until the end but I guess thats to do with the differing characters personalaties.

Might come back and do the other stories at a later time, from the thread it sounds like the Rin one is interesting.

It varies depending on the story.

Some VNs have a lot of choices and branches. Others have none at all.

Really a "Visual Novel" is a digital story told using text, music, and pictures. "Choices" are optional.

Jintor

It's tied to her personality/story.

Well, not the specific scene. I mean like the motivation behind it and stuff like that.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Someone banned in the KS OT? This thread is now officially official.

Top Bottom