• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Katawa Shoujo |OT| (VN, Free, Waifus, etc)

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Well, I've achieved Hanako's routes, and certainly got the BEST (bad) END where
Hisao got bitched out like the condescending prick his is in this route. Seriously, totally unlikable this one. The good end was anticlimactic and felt infinitely awkward because he sort of... accidentally raped her. The whole thing felt awkward and disturbing and it was just not a very pleasant experience.
Coming off of Emi's route, I can't for the life of me believe that people liked Hanako's better. It was slow, dull, and the ultimate payoff just ended up making me feel dirty. It's like being surrounded by assholes and morons... ugh...

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Coming off of Emi's route, I can't for the life of me believe that people liked Hanako's better. It was slow, dull, and the ultimate payoff just ended up making me feel dirty.
I'm going through it right now and I'm not really feeling it. Lot's of random people gabbing away on top of obsessive internal monologues and then Hanako shows up for like a minute to sit in the same vicinity as you.

Arol

In terms of unlikability of Hisao, I think Hisao in Bad Ending Shizune isn't as likeable and a bit of a douchebag if you strive towards the bad ending.

With having sex Misha when she's vulnerable and she's a lesbian/bisexual? well at least she has fallen in love with Shizune, with Shizune having rejected her and it's not revealed after the fact and technically you're going out with Shizune.

imo.

But then again, I suppose Bad Endings are technically bad for a reason.

Anyways, just need one last route which is Rin, I'll probably have a better perception of which route I ended up enjoying more once I have it all done. Also to figure out in which route Hisao was most unlikeable. Might Skip Mode the other ones to see the endings I didn't get as well, although Skip Mode sometimes bugs out for me for no reason.

Also the Library in the Extra Features mode doesn't really work unless I misunderstood it.

It basically only allows me to replay that specific chapter and not actually continue from it. Is it bugged for me or is this how it's suppose to be?

Also the Library in the Extra Features mode doesn't really work unless I misunderstood it.

It basically only allows me to replay that specific chapter and not actually continue from it. Is it bugged for me or is this how it's suppose to be?

No, it seems that's how it works. I misunderstood things and thought you could use it to continue on from that point. It's basically a scene viewer, not a real checkpoint.

Jintor

Just be prepared to hold down skip scene a lot, it's not that bad.

I didn't like Hanako's route very much. There was a bit of good near the end of it where it perfectly captured what I wanted to see
the confusion on both parts after they slept together
, but by and large it felt very much like a traditional 'broken/shy girl'-style storyline and didn't connect with me on the level of Emi or Rin. I would love to run a rewrite over it though. It's faaaaaar too slow. Though the ending splash page is cute as hell.

On to Shizune, and then finally Lily.

Just got the good end for Emi's route. Very heartwarming if not a tad bit predictable. I loved the humor with Rin and the nurse.

Time to take a break for a bit, then do Hanako route next.

Jintor

I actually really want to reread Rin's one, there's quite a few dimensions to it that I'm not sure I got entirely the first time.

Instro

Finished the Shizune route, first one so far, pretty neat storyline and I enjoyed her and Misha. Fun characters. A little more choice once you get into the actual character route would be nice and most of the artwork is pretty barebones in terms of how much variety there is, even in the h scenes, but its understandable given how it was made. Given the subject material and the people behind it, I half expected something that was blatant hentai but they handled everything pretty well honestly. More classy than expected for sure. The writing or plot is anything particularly special, but for a romance centered game its a pretty competent narrative. Quite a bit longer than I was expecting, took about 8 hours from start to the end of Shizune's good end.

Her good ending was very nice and the bad ending had the added plus of
getting dat Misha ass
. Hopefully some of the other routes live up to this one.

Also, not a big fan of Kenji. His routine gets old fast, I would have rather had some more interaction with the nurse or someone else rather them him so much.

Jintor

You interact a lot more with different figures depending on the storyline. Emi's, for instance, makes you chat with the school Doc a lot because you always need to go for quick checkups after your runs.

Instro

You interact a lot more with different figures depending on the storyline. Emi's, for instance, makes you chat with the school Doc a lot because you always need to go for quick checkups after your runs.

Yeah I kind of figured as much, good to know. Not sure who I will start with next, I'm glad I made a bunch of saves at the early decision points to save some time.

A little more choice once you get into the actual character route would be nice and most of the artwork is pretty barebones in terms of how much variety there is, even in the h scenes, but its understandable given how it was made. Given the subject material and the people behind it, I half expected something that was blatant hentai but they handled everything pretty well honestly. More classy than expected for sure. The writing or plot is anything particularly special, but for a romance centered game its a pretty competent narrative. Quite a bit longer than I was expecting, took about 8 hours from start to the end of Shizune's good end.

Sadly, Shizune's route is generally considered the weakest route. (It has more of a "slice of life feel", less focus on Hisao and Shizune's relationship and more on the trio as a whole, etc.) Each route actually has a rather different feel to it (which makes sense, they were written by different people.)

Damn, was shooting for Rin, but ended up on Emi's route :l Eh well, she seems pleasant enough

Emi's route is the easiest to get on, kind of funny.

Rin, on the other hand, is actually technically the hardest to get on. Since to get on her route you have to avoid getting on any other route while still not getting the Act 1 bad end.

Edit: Rin is also apparently the easiest character to get a bad end on.

Emi's route is the easiest to get on, kind of funny.

Rin, on the other hand, is actually technically the hardest to get on. Since to get on her route you have to avoid getting on any other route while still not getting the Act 1 bad end.

Edit: Rin is also apparently the easiest character to get a bad end on.

Yeah, she was the one character that interested me the most, due to the aforementioned complexity of her routes and her strange personality. So a full playthrough is about 8 hours then? This is a lot longer than I thought it was gonna be. I was assuming 4-5 hrs. per character.

Instro

Sadly, Shizune's route is generally considered the weakest route. (It has more of a "slice of life feel", less focus on Hisao and Shizune's relationship and more on the trio as a whole, etc.) Each route actually has a rather different feel to it (which makes sense, they were written by different people.)

Interesting, thats kind of the exact feeling I got from the Shizune route. It lead to some neat character interactions though which I enjoyed. Sounds like each route will have quite a different flavor to it, good to hear since I would probably get bored if it was too similar to what I already got with Shizune.

Yeah, she was the one character that interested me the most, due to the aforementioned complexity of her routes and her strange personality. So a full playthrough is about 8 hours then? This is a lot longer than I thought it was gonna be. I was assuming 4-5 hrs. per character.

It takes around 4 hours to read a route.

The first readthrough will be abit longer, since you're reading all of Act 1. Later reads you can skip the parts you've read already.

It takes around 4 hours to read a route.

The first readthrough will be abit longer, since you're reading all of Act 1. Later reads you can skip the parts you've read already.

Ah, good to hear. I was hoping that there would be a skip mechanic. Are previous choices you've already made highlighted for you as well ala 999?

Reversed

I find silly that they removed the "Stop Stem Cell Research" on Shizu's panties (from the demo), while you can see the "Bush - Cheney" tee on Misha.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Ah, good to hear. I was hoping that there would be a skip mechanic. Are previous choices you've already made highlighted for you as well ala 999?

Previous choices made have a checkmark, and if you do the skip all text it will automatically stop and slow down when it reaches text you've never read before.

tafer

Ok, seriously is this game really that good?

I was thinking in giving it some time in the future (death by backlog) but all these posts are making me reconsider.

survivor

Banned

I was thinking in giving it some time in the future (death by backlog) but all these posts are making me reconsider.

Do you like visual novels?

I just don't see this game as a good starter into VN games if you haven't experienced them before. If you have then give it a shot. The settings alone is pretty interesting.

Thoraxes

Just know that visual novels are different from regular games. The genre is not for everyone however there are many people who love them, myself included.

Arol

I find it entertaining, having never played something similar. Being my first one and all, definitely going to try out other ones now, in different settings of course so I can form a better opinion.

It's truly just a novel with visual and audio content added to it. Stories are a bit funny at times, entertaining, interesting and some are a bit moving. Just in this one game too, imo!

It didn't hurt that it can easily run on a PC or Mac and it's a great time killer.

tafer

Do you like visual novels?

I just don't see this game as a good starter into VN games if you haven't experienced them before. If you have then give it a shot. The settings alone is pretty interesting.

I tried the demo when it came out, mostly to check what kind of stuff a group born from 4chan could do... It was interesting but considering that it was a demo, I never took the time to finish it.

Oh and yeah, I have played a few aeons ago.

agidot

Thank you for the replies.I never knew that there's quite a few VNs that are available in English.
I don't have a DS anymore and I already read higurashi mangas.
I assume that all 18+ games are hentai/eroges?

Saya no Uta. Seriously, just play it.
I believe you recommended that one to me too a long while back. More reading than anything though, I think there were only two choices in that one? But yeah, definitely a crazy fucking experience unlike anything I'm accustomed to, I still haven't read the
Saya taking over the world end
though, I'll have to check that out eventually.

Jintor

Saya no Uta. Seriously, just play it.

I'm not going anywhere near that thing. Hrrghhh.

Haha, somehow I ended up getting made at Shizune and Misha for barging into my room and it totally killed my route and then had a manly picnic.

orz

_woLf

Huh.

This is my first VN, and I'm surprised how much I like it. It kinda reminds me of those choose your own adventure books back in elementary school.

A pleasant surprise. I guess I'm off to the translated VN Gaf thread to see what else is out there.

Just got on Hanako's route.

.... That animation, blew my mind.

Has this been posted on any Japanese VN forums/sites?

I'd really like to know what the Japanese audience thinks of this.

Having just played through Hanako's run, I'm actually surprised with the game quality given it's origins. It's good enough for me to recommend to other friends who do play VN's.

Makes me considering going back to making a Ren'Py game again lol.

Emi, Lilly, and Hanako done, now to try for Rin.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Huh, I didn't know 999 was a visual novel...still need to get to that.

I really love the music in this.

Instro

Just got on Hanako's route.

.... That animation, blew my mind.

Has this been posted on any Japanese VN forums/sites?

I'd really like to know what the Japanese audience thinks of this.

Iirc there are/were some threads on 2ch about it the other day, they seemed to like it I think? I'm sure someone else could give you a better idea.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
I get off the internet for a few days and this is what I come back to? Hahaha, I though this was never going to be released!
I took a couple days of vacation in addition this weekend to play Umineko ep8 in all its glory (yeah, I'm lagging behind), but maybe I can play a little bit of this during the day, as I was going to play Umineko only during nighttime...
Okay, just wait for me, my meganeko deaf and mute waifu!!.. HHHNNNNGGGGG!!!

Anyway,
get out ks devs

Top Bottom