• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Katawa Shoujo |OT| (VN, Free, Waifus, etc)

About an hour and a half in and... Man, this is a really well made, well written and polished experience for a free game. I'm honestly blown away. All the characters seem pretty intriguing so far. And Kenji really does smack of Dale Gribble.

I have the installer, but I just can't seem to install it for some reason. It's been a long time coming, with all of the delays and the development hijinks.

Makes me feel like a long journey is finally going to come to an end, which I can't really find in myself to like.

mugwhump

Go to the library in extras. The game keep checkpoints automatically.

GM7cj.gif

Just finished Shizune's route. Really surprised by how sweet and thoughtful this seemingly is.

I can honestly say
I was sad to see the split up of the three person Student Council at the end, though the promise that they will reunite someday takes some of the sting out of it I suppose.

I get so easily attached to characters, I should have seen my reaction to it coming a mile away. :( Damn, it is 2 am where I live right now -__- Imma have to watch some Next Generation to free me of this post VN melancholy...or maybe I should try another route.....

Arol

Just finished Shizune's route. Really surprised by how sweet and thoughtful this seemingly is.

I can honestly say
I was sad to see the split up of the three person Student Council at the end, though the promise that they will reunite someday takes some of the sting out of it I suppose.

I get so easily attached to characters, I should have seen my reaction to it coming a mile away. :( Damn, it is 2 am where I live right now -__- Imma have to watch some Next Generation to free me of this post VN melancholy...or maybe I should try another route.....

Her route is the only one that seemingly goes all the way to Graduation right? I've only done Emi, Hanako and Shizune. I got a bit burnt out and haven't felt like doing the last two. Although with everyone saying Rin's is the best I think I'll motivate myself enough to do it.

Totally agree on getting attached to characters, although I didn't get the same ending you did, I'm assuming that's the good ending as bittersweet as it sounds.

The bad ending:

At the option to sleep with Mischa, I ended up going for it since I figured the good ending would be me ending up with Shizune and wanted to get a "bad" ending. Anyways, I instantly felt like a huge asshole when a scene later she confesses she was in love with Shizune and was rejected.

But seriously Mischa still hanging out with Shizune after being rejected just to be close to her...damn. Broke my heart to see Mischa that way.

Nothing ended up getting resolved and Shizune broke up with me and I lost the friendship of both girls.

I honestly assumed the good ending would just end up with me and Shizune together or some other sappy type stuff. The good ending does seem bittersweet though.

Also a bit motivated to see the different scenes Kenji comes out in. Kinda surprised at all his cameos and different interactions given my experience with 3 routes so far. Kinda wondering if in the last two routes he talks about something he mentioned during the Shizune route:

Wondering if he brings up his ex-gf in more detail and if that's his main antagonism for believing there's some world wide feminist conspiracy. Maybe I missed something

Surprisingly pleased with this VN.

After playing this for a while I don't see how anyone can call this exploitative without coming off as ignorant or trolling.

The last VN I played was Ever17, but I only finished the Tsugumi route for that.

I want to try and get through all the routes if possible(for Katawa Shoujo). How many are there?

wonzo

Banned
I managed to get the Good End for the Hanako route... Well, atleast I think I got it anyway.
The scene where she has a mental breakdown in the classroom made me feel like complete shit.
I'm really impressed with just how well done this turned out to be considering how it was developed.

The animated cutscenes are godly. I wish there were more of them.
I like how they are semi-spoilers of the endings that don't make sense until later... I think
Yeah, I was really surprised that they included those little cutscenes at the begging of each route.

I think i'll check out Shizune's route next.

Arol

5 girls, minor branches for each but I think they're all bad ends except maybe for one off Shizune.

What do you mean? You didn't like any of the endings? Although I do agree, so far the good ending for Shizune seems to be pretty good, going to try to see it for myself.

Also solved the Kenji thing while I kept trying to kill myself:

When he climaxed from sex with his gf, he felt weak and believed she was sucking out his life force

Not sure why that seems so familiar though. Like it's something I've heard/seen/read by another person/character.

Dresden

Also Hanako is annoying me. She's practically crying for help and it's pretty bothersome, I hope she just goes away somewhere so the game can focus on Lilly and Rin.

Never played anything like this before. Downloaded it last night based solely on this thread.

Very good, enjoying it.

Thanks Gaf!

Kenji is an excellent character.

Jintor

Is there a way to save your progress? I don't want to hit ESC and lose everything so I was just wondering.

Alternatively if you've managed to lose priority somehow (alt-tabbing), right click to bring up the menu.

What do you mean? You didn't like any of the endings? Although I do agree, so far the good ending for Shizune seems to be pretty good, going to try to see it for myself.

Sorry, I forgot you weren't familiar with the terminology. "Bad Ends" are premature endings to the story or endings that are otherwise bad, like through death, breakup, or in other VNs homicide, apocolypse, etc. What I meant was that there are 5 girls to chill with (five 'good ends) with each of them having minor branching paths (the 'bad ends', with the exception of Shizune, who has a path where you end up with Misha maybe? Haven't done her route at all)

Jintor

Emi path was good. Didn't top Rin, but was still good regardless. A lot less complex.

Hanako's animated cutscene was actually a little frightening, especially after seeing Rin's and Emi's.

The Manly Picnic ending has a nice piece of art associated with it now that I don't recall being there before.

Oh man why is Kenji so awesome?

He's totally hilarious.

Man... Must've played 3 hours last night, and the game says I'm still in act 1? How long does it take to go through an entire route? I feel like one of those women who are hooked on Guiding Light or something cause I wanna know what happens next. Ugh. I used to work with this guy a few years ago who always played VNs during break on his laptop. I thought it was the most hilariously embarrassing thing ever, but now I'm seriously thinking of lugging mine to work. :l

Anyway, I'm definitely gonna pick Rin. She really reminds me of my friend in terms of looks, demeanor, and even artistic talent.

My friend has arms

survivor

Banned
Wait what? Did I just pick the Emi route? I just saw a short cutscene with her and her name thing is highlighted in the library.

I didn't even get a chance to work on Hanako. Bah.

Her route is the only one that seemingly goes all the way to Graduation right? I've only done Emi, Hanako and Shizune. I got a bit burnt out and haven't felt like doing the last two. Although with everyone saying Rin's is the best I think I'll motivate myself enough to do it.

Totally agree on getting attached to characters, although I didn't get the same ending you did, I'm assuming that's the good ending as bittersweet as it sounds.

The bad ending:

At the option to sleep with Mischa, I ended up going for it since I figured the good ending would be me ending up with Shizune and wanted to get a "bad" ending. Anyways, I instantly felt like a huge asshole when a scene later she confesses she was in love with Shizune and was rejected.

But seriously Mischa still hanging out with Shizune after being rejected just to be close to her...damn. Broke my heart to see Mischa that way.

Nothing ended up getting resolved and Shizune broke up with me and I lost the friendship of both girls.

I honestly assumed the good ending would just end up with me and Shizune together or some other sappy type stuff. The good ending does seem bittersweet though.

Yeah Shizune's route ends at graduation

That bad ending sounds terrifying and while the good ending is kinda predictable I still think quite fantastic.

I highly recommend going back and getting the good ending for Shizune. It is pretty adorable and great without coming across as melodramatic or overly cutesy, at least in my opinion and
you get an adorable Student Council photo of Shizune, Misha, and Hisao taken by Yuuko at the very end :3

survivor

Banned
Start over, using the skip option if you need to.

Well I don't mind Emi that much so might as well continue with her route. I was just surprised at how the route was picked.

Also dat Emi's mom. Life is so unfair that I will never get with her :( screw Emi. I so want her mom.

Just started on Chapter 2, I guess I'm in Emi's route? Like survivor said it seems kinda arbitrary how they decided this. I quite like Rin's personality so far, and Kenji's great, too.

Arol

I'm not sure if it's that arbitrary. I think the decisions that lead to Emi basically boil down to the MC attempting to get better physically, or being more physically active, which is what her character is all about.

It is in Dr. Strangelove

Hah, thank you. It's been ages and while I knew it sounded familiar I couldn't quite remember.

I highly recommend going back and getting the good ending for Shizune. It is pretty adorable and great without coming across as melodramatic or overly cutesy, at least in my opinion and
you get an adorable Student Council photo of Shizune, Misha, and Hisao taken by Yuuko at the very end :3

Yeah I think I will. If only to see at least see every option that is available and see the artwork. I wish I had more free time but I might do what Dynamite Ringo Matsuri is considering and take my laptop around with me. Heh.

CSX

im the kind of guy that hates entering a bad end for VNs. Is there a walkthrough for this game or there are very little choices once you enter a route?

THe only thing that stopping me from playing this is a lack of a walkthrough

sakipon

im the kind of guy that hates entering a bad end for VNs. Is there a walkthrough for this game or there are very little choices once you enter a route?

THe only thing that stopping me from playing this is a lack of a walkthrough

I wish life in general had a walkthrough.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Just started on Chapter 2, I guess I'm in Emi's route? Like survivor said it seems kinda arbitrary how they decided this. I quite like Rin's personality so far, and Kenji's great, too.
For pretty much all the characters you get to their route by acting like them and being around them. It's pretty easy to be honest.

There aren't a ton of choices, like, 5 at most in a route once you get on one.

survivor

Banned
For pretty much all the characters you get to their route by acting like them and being around them. It's pretty easy to be honest.

Well for Emi I guess
running hard and collapsing at the track chooses her route?
. I just was surprised cause I only got one choice regarding Hanako and I didn't think that one decision would cancel her route since I didn't even think it was an important one.

Well for Emi I guess
running hard and collapsing at the track chooses her route?
. I just was surprised cause I only got one choice regarding Hanako and I didn't think that one decision would cancel her route since I didn't even think it was an important one.

You have to be friendly with Lilly to get more Hanako choices in act I.

Top Bottom