• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kenyon Martin criticizes Jeremy Lin's dreadlocks, Lin keeps it classy

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
(To get any preemptive "who?"s out of the way, these are the Wikipedia entries of both of these fellows)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Lin
https://www.instagram.com/jlin7/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenyon_Martin
https://www.instagram.com/kenyonmartinsr/

A couple of days ago, Jeremy Lin posted a short essay on the history of his hair with a spotlight on his current style.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/jeremy-lin-brooklyn-nets-about-my-hair/

0302iCWl.jpg

I’ll be honest: At first I didn’t see the connection between my own hair and cultural appropriation. Growing up, I’d only ever picked from one or two hairstyles that were popular among my friends and family at the time. But as an Asian-American, I do know something about cultural appropriation. I know what it feels like when people get my culture wrong. I know how much it bothers me when Hollywood relegates Asian people to token sidekicks, or worse, when it takes Asian stories and tells them without Asian people. I know how it feels when people don’t take the time to understand the people and history behind my culture. I’ve felt how hurtful it is when people reduce us to stereotypes of Bruce Lee or “shrimp fried rice.” It’s easy to brush some of these things off as “jokes,” but eventually they add up. And the full effect of them can make you feel like you’re worth less than others, and that your voice matters less than others.

So of course, I never want to do that to another culture.

But I had never really deeply considered how something as seemingly personal as my hair — as an Asian-American NBA player — could affect anyone else.

Savannah introduced me to Nancy Moreau — my kind and amazing braider from the All Hair Matters Salon in Rockland County — who did my hair when I first got to Brooklyn. Nancy is already well-known around the Nets practice facility for doing hair for myself and the Nets staff, and the players and their children. And Nancy gave me another push to go for dreads.

I took some time to think about it but still had reservations. I asked Rondae if he’d be willing to get dreads with me and he said, “Bro, I’ve been growing my hair out for you. Let’s do it.” So this weekend, Rondae and I got our hair dreaded — for eight hours straight.

At the beginning of this article, I said I wanted to hear what you think. I truly do.

Because honestly, I may be wrong here. Maybe one day I’ll look back and laugh at myself, or even cringe. I don’t have the answers. But I hope the thing you take away from what I’m writing is not that everyone should feel free to get braids or dreads — or that one gesture can smooth over the real misunderstandings that exist in our society around race and cultural identity. Not at all.

It’s easy to take things that we enjoy from other cultures — that’s one of the coolest things about a melting-pot society like ours. But I think we have to be careful that taking doesn’t become all we do. With all the division, political turmoil and senseless violence in our society right now, we need to talk to each other more than ever.

To listen to the real concerns of someone from a different background — and not just their everyday, superficial experiences — that’s pretty uncomfortable. After Linsanity, for instance, a lot of people were excited about celebrating the underdog who happened to be a minority — which is great. But when it comes to more complicated topics — like racial discrimination, police brutality or the day-to-day difficulties of being a minority — sometimes people aren’t always as interested to go there.

Lin also had an ESPN interview about it, which you can see here: http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=20918981

However, as Lin expected and wanted, some weren't too keen on his hair.

https://www.netsdaily.com/2017/10/5...n-martin-attacks-jeremy-lin-on-his-dreadlocks

When Jeremy Lin wrote his piece in the Players Tribune about his new dreads, he touched on the topic of cultural appropriation, and why his different hairstyles might lead him into “uncharted territories,” as he said on ESPN.

Lin wasn’t wrong in suggesting that some people might take it the wrong way. Ex-Net Kenyon Martin certainly did.

First, Martin posted this picture of Lin on his Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZ1i-Y-BEAj/

Then, Martin posted a video on his Instagram talking out against Lin and his hairstyle, while bringing the Nets organization into it. He captioned the post, “I’m confused, puzzled, in shock, disappointed in his teammates and the Nets as an organization for allowing this foolishness!!!

“Do I need to remind this damn boy his last name Lin?” Martin said with a sarcastic face and tone. “Like, come on, man. Let’s stop it with these people. There is no way possible he would’ve made it on one of our teams with that bullshit on his head. Come on man, somebody need to tell him, like, ‘alright bro, we get it. You wanna be black.’ Like, we get it. But your last name is Lin.’”

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZ1jfeDB-xp/

He followed up with another video... and didn’t make things much better.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZ2B24ch3yj/

This was Lin's response to Martin:

O8eLHuKl.jpg

sPStEjc.jpg

https://www.google.com/search?q=kenyon+martin ( do an image search )

So what do you think? Does Martin have a point? Do they both have a point? Is rocking dreads the "same" as getting a tattoo with Chinese characters? Are they both cultural appropriation or neither? How much does intent matter in this case?

LionPride

Banned
I mean, seeing as Lin's entire PT article is literally saying "I asked black women and men was this appropriation and they all said 'if you ain't doin it to make fun of or hurt then no', there ain't an issue

NoRéN

I mean, seeing as Lin's entire PT article is literally saying "I asked black women and men was this appropriation and they all said 'if you ain't doin it to make fun of or hurt then no', there ain't an issue
Yeah. Seems like his actions before and after we're equally as thought out and classy.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Cultural appropriation by minorities is a weird concept. Unless people are taking things that they themselves have demonised others over, I don’t think this should be an issue. Otherwise you open yourself to other minority groups calling you out as well.

I’ve seen non Arab ethnic groups wearing the keffiyeh and thawb, and I’ve seen my own father get side eyed by all types of people when he’d wear those during Fridays or Eid in public. Can I claim cultural appropriation when other groups wear it?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I'm siding with Jeremy on this one. I know i am bias because i think he is cute, but how many players in every sport have Chinese character tattooed on them? I never understand why people have a hard up on non-Black people with dreadlocks. I remember going to Japan for the first time and seeing a Japanese guy with dreadlocks and i thought that was pretty freaking cool. If any context my family is from the Caribbean, so seeing non-Black people with dreads is pretty cool.

That burn about the Chinese tattoos, lol. Yeah, that guy is in no place to shit on an Asian-American for having dreadlocks.

Heck, I don't think he even needed to go that far, but it does show he has no malicious intent

I'm siding with Jeremy on this one. I know i am bias because i think he is cute, but how many players in every sport have Chinese character tattooed on them? I never understand why people have a hard up on non-Black people with dreadlocks. I remember going to Japan for the first time and seeing a Japanese guy with dreadlocks and i thought that was pretty freaking cool. If any context my family is from the Caribbean, so seeing non-Black people with dreads is pretty cool.

Same, I like seeing all different types

Pryce

The idea of Lin's hairstyle being "wrong" is incredibly stupid. Anyone can wear any hair style or clothing, or whatever, they want, in my opinion.

As long as its not degrading toward X group, then there's no issue.

entremet

Hairstyles, fashion, and food, aren't proprietary to specific groups.
Cultural appropriation remains among the most historical ignorant theories to come out of academia.

Almost every major cultural artifact is appropriated in some sense, from Tea to Numerical systems.

Lin is fine. I don't care what he does with his hair as long as he respects the culture.

Also fuck Kenyon Martin, the nigga has a tat of lips on his neck

Shut the fuck up

😂😂😂😂

I'm dead.

Cultural appropriation remains among the most historical ignorant theories to come out of academia.

Almost every major cultural artifact is appropriated, from Tea to Numerical systems.

It's a real thing. But it's not as common as folks make it seem. Shit like taking a other cultures music, ignoring where it came from (ie not giving that culture any acknowledgment) and profiting from it.

Slayven

Any body of any race can have any hairstyle they want imo.

Tell that to black women in the armed forces

But that is another conversation

Almost every major cultural artifact is appropriated, from Tea to Numerical systems.

It's not about the interchanging of ideas. It's about it only becoming acceptable when one culture starts doing it or one cuture takes an idea only to mock it

Almost every major cultural artifact is appropriated in some sense, rom Tea to Numerical systems.

The point that you and many others seem to love to ignore is the aspect of dehumanization/marginalization of the originating culture

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Hairstyles, fashion, and food, aren't proprietary to specific groups.
I can sympathise and understand a minority who have been demonised for their hairstyle, their cultural clothing, their cuisine, etc, by a majority who have now taken those something they’ve demonised them for, and have adopted it themselves. I get that. Now whether individuals who have no malice in their adoption of these things should be scrutinised is something else all together, but I can at the very least get why some people would have issues.

But I think this sentiment stops when it’s no longer the oppressive majority who are adopting these things. If it’s not the group who dehumanised your culture, then the same reactions are not fair, because that means you can’t ever take from anyone else either. Humans have gotten to where they are by cultures adopting and taking from each other. Be it food, political systems, clothing styles, language, etc.

Goddamn that ether.

No not really. There's perfectly valid conversations to be had about cultural appropriation,
which many people have pointed out to you in the past but you seemingly always forget the next time it's brought up
. The issue is a lot of people use it far too liberally and bring it up in alot of situations where it's not necessarily relevant.

entremet

Tell that to black women in the armed forces

But that is another conversation

It's not about the interchanging of ideas. It's about it only becoming acceptable when one culture starts doing it or one cuture takes an idea only to mock it

sPStEjc.jpg

Goddamn that ether.

No not really. There's perfectly valid conversations to be had about cultural appropriation,
which many people have pointed out to you in the past but you seemingly always forget the next time it's brought up
. The issue is a lot of people use it far too liberally and bring it up in alot of situations where it's not necessarily relevant.
My issue is the liberal use, which has become defacto by now. Mocking Costumes and yuppie restaurants with bullet holes are to be fairly criticized. No issue with that.

Here’s another recent critique of the concept.

http://observer.com/2017/07/unpacki...-what-it-will-cost-us-media-robbie-robertson/

“Cultural appropriation, properly defined, is the exploitation or co-opting of a culture to which one has no rightful heritage. What does that look like in practice? Depending on who you talk to, it’s Katy Perry wearing a kimono in her performance at the American Music Awards. It’s Elvis popularizing black music and becoming obscenely rich in the process. According to one angry student in San Francisco, it can be growing your hair into dreadlocks. Just this year, a massive controversy in the art world reared up over whether a white painter could show a painting about the death of Emmett Til.”

Derwind

I'm with Lin on this one, Kenyon looking like an ass with those tats.

Almost every major cultural artifact is appropriated in some sense, from Tea to Numerical systems.

The issue is not that people appropriating each others culture is necessarily a bad thing, the issue is when something that was previously looked down upon is only reinvented & vogue when someone outside of that culture decides to rock it.

Feel what you want about cultural appropriation but that double standard exists and is annoying as all hell.

Top Bottom