• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kenyon Martin criticizes Jeremy Lin's dreadlocks, Lin keeps it classy

Dreadlocks have been used and are still used by many cultures around the world. The association with "African" culture is quite recent and spurred by the popularity of Bob Marley and rastafári.
And cultural appropriation is the most stupid thing ever devised by American society.

Old school ball heads taking a lot of Ls these days .

But come on Lin.... you did not have a Kenyon Martin poster , nobody is buying that

tkscz

Dreadlocks have been used and are still used by many cultures around the world. The association with "African" culture is quite recent and spurred by the popularity of Bob Marley and rastafári.
And cultural appropriation is the most stupid thing ever devised by American society.

This. Funny enough, looking up the history, Dreads were used by a lot of Buddhist and Hindu monks.

rugioh

Banned
I think the funniest thing about this is that Lin released an article in the Players Tribune AHEAD OF TIME predicting that people were gonna go at him for appropriating, and that he wasn't trying to be disrespectful and Martin's dumb ass still tries to start static after the fact. Him having those tattoos makes it even more hilarious

george_us

Saving you a web search:
lindreads.jpg

I think the biggest offense here is the hair on top + shaved sides, but I'm just an old guy yelling at a cloud so what do I know
Those dreads look pretty rad

LionPride

Banned
Who decides what is "inferior" food? What makes "authentic" cuisine better, and how do you define "authentic" when I'm familiar with no ethnic cuisine that doesn't have outside influences stretching back at the very least hundreds of years at this point?

Racism is a problem. People devaluing others because of their heritage is a problem. But cultural appropriation just turns into hipster gatekeeping nonsense of lamenting how much better stuff was before it got "cool".

I mean it is an issue when a dish or item is seen as gross or not worthwile when eaten or worn by a minority but is praised when a white person creates it or wears it.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Saving you a web search:
lindreads.jpg

I think the biggest offense here is the hair on top + shaved sides, but I'm just an old guy yelling at a cloud so what do I know

Thanks for posting this, because the pics in the OP certainly weren't dreadlocks.

Anyways, there's no coming back from that Chinese tat response; Kenyon might as well drop social media altogether.

There aren't much things out there worse than getting Ether'd for something you started for no reason.

I mean it is an issue when a dish or item is seen as gross or not worthwile when eaten or worn by a minority but is praised when a white person creates it or wears it.

This sort of confuses me. Chefs travel the world all the time to incorporate different cultures into cooking. The entire fusion scene is built of mish mashing cultures and their foods. That being said, unless something is extremely exotic (like certain organ types of meat), I'm always down to try authentic versions of food from various vultures. So my confusion may just stem from that.

LionPride

Banned
This sort of confuses me. Chefs travel the world all the time to incorporate different cultures into cooking. The entire fusion scene is built of mish mashing cultures and their foods. That being said, unless something is extremely exotic (like certain organ types of meat), I'm always down to try authentic versions of food from various vultures. So my confusion may just stem from that.

So, there is no issue with someone making a dish, the issue stems from when the public reaction to that dish before when it was made by a person from that culture was negative, but it's positive when sold by a white person or marketed towards them

So, there is no issue with someone making a dish, the issue stems from when the public reaction to that dish before when it was made by a person from that culture was negative, but it's positive when sold by a white person or marketed towards them

I would imagine this is less of an issue the larger the melting pot is (for cuisine that is, which seems more regional than fashion).

I would imagine this is less of an issue the larger the melting pot is (for cuisine that is, which seems more regional than fashion).

As a foodservice worker, it is not. Where people would least frequent ethnic restaurants, they have no problem eating the same thing at one of the haute establishments.

Cultural appropriation remains among the most historical ignorant theories to come out of academia.

Almost every major cultural artifact is appropriated in some sense, from Tea to Numerical systems.

Yeah that's because people don't know how to talk about it.

tbm24

Lin can pass for Chinese Jamaican now.

On topic, anyone notice how Jamaican Beef Patties have been appropriated? They are all over NYC pizzerias and delis and just labeled "Beef Patty".
Should I feel wrong for loving that fact? Honest question. Bodega beef patty has been a staple for me since I was a kid.

diaspora

He doesn't need to ask anybody.

His response is absolutely brilliant though. Kmart being shown what a dumbass he is, in case there is someone that follows the NBA doesn't know about it. This is the second best ether after KD's alts outing himself.

It matters that he did even though he didn't have to.

There is a whole thing about that on First We Feast about that shit
Thanks, I will check it out. The beef patty thing has always bothered me, as well as mainstream America fronting on Caribbean food. The Carribbean is literally right there yet the cuisine is more foreign to Americans than food from across the ocean. There's no reason for Caribbean spots near me to go largely ignored while yuppies trip over eachother to pay $15 for a bland roll of sushi.

Lamel

Banned
Lin can pass for Chinese Jamaican now.

On topic, anyone notice how Jamaican Beef Patties have been appropriated? They are all over NYC pizzerias and delis and just labeled "Beef Patty".

I remember beef patties were served in elementary school in NYC. I think they've been around at like local spots for a while now.

If the "trendy" places are just repackaging the same food as the stall places without offering anything else, it's messed up and the patrons are dumb.

If the "trendy" places are altering other ethnicity's cuisine in a way that makes their audience find it more palatable/attractive, that's just smart and literally every other culture does that.

Even in the latter, that's the expression of the racial power dynamics in this country at work here, right?

In a vacuum it may not be all that problematic, but when you start thinking as to why it is that the gatekeepers for what is deemed acceptable are so homogeneous, you get to the root of the problem with cultural appropriation.

oneHeero

Man just wear whatever hairstyle you want

Helps that Lin looks good, but yeah lol

I'm not trying to rock the boat, im a minority as well, but wasn't gaf pretty much against this with white women doing this or something similar?

I think the dreads look dope and nice burn on the chines tats. I love K Martin but don't like the reply but it's his opinion. I just wish he didn't make it seem as Lin did something legit wrong.

Faiz

This whole thing: appropriation is real but adopting something from another culture doesn't automatically make it appropriation.

Raven117

Dreadlocks can be found around the world in many different cultures throughout history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreadlocks#History

Just doing something another culture does is not appropriation. Not on its face. Is it taking and exploiting it without giving the proper respect to where it came from and who forged it? Thats appropriation to me.

"Cultural appropriation is about the power dynamic. When people with power and privilege decide to 'validate' customs and traditions that oppressed people have long been marginalized for by saying 'This is the hot new thing,' then we have serious problems. Or when they refuse to credit the people who innovated those styles or traditions, but claim them as original ideas, then we get into appropriation," she said.
"Showing love for something awesome and doing so with respect to the culture is appreciation and I don't see problems with that, for the most part. I do think white people have to be mindful of their privilege, though, and think twice before hopping on the newest 'trend,' especially if it clearly borrows from disenfranchised people."

http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/31/living/white-dreadlocks-cultural-appropriation-feat/index.html

choodi

Banned
For something to be cultural appropriation there needs to be some sort of exploitation of the original culture.

That's what seems to get missed in these stupid situations.

Drain You

As someone who doesn't know either of these people I read a bit of each of their Wiki's ( Thanks for that btw OP, saved me some time ) and I really don't see anything at all wrong with Lin's haircut or his decision to get it. Couple that with the fact that he handled the response from Martin in a very level headed manner and hes ok in my book. I also think his hair looks pretty cool everything else aside. I'm 50/50 (ish) Irish/Italian and my younger brother had dreadlocks down to his ass for years, He never caught any flak for it. I dunno, theres more important things to worry about.

If the "trendy" places are just repackaging the same food as the stall places without offering anything else, it's messed up and the patrons are dumb.

If the "trendy" places are altering other ethnicity's cuisine in a way that makes their audience find it more palatable/attractive, that's just smart and literally every other culture does that.

what if the audience generally finds it to be more palatable/attractive simply because there's a white guy as the chef?

I'm not trying to rock the boat, im a minority as well, but wasn't gaf pretty much against this with white women doing this or something similar?

I think the dreads look dope and nice burn on the chines tats. I love K Martin but don't like the reply but it's his opinion. I just wish he didn't make it seem as Lin did something legit wrong.

That woman claimed she was actually black and tried to hide it, Lin is doing nothing remotely close to what she did.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
As someone who doesn't know either of these people I read a bit of each of their Wiki's ( Thanks for that btw OP, saved me some time )

You are very welcome :)

Couple that with the fact that he handled the response from Martin in a very level headed manner
Kenyon fell victim to one of the classic blunders. The most famous is 'Never get involved in a land war in Asia,' but only slightly less well known is this: 'Never go in against a Harvard grad when ether is on the line!"

Lin-Harvard-e1472559129438.jpg

Cultural appropriation remains among the most historical ignorant theories to come out of academia.

Almost every major cultural artifact is appropriated in some sense, from Tea to Numerical systems.
The key to understanding the idea is to put "harmful" before mentions of cultural appropriation. That's, as I understand it, what the academic idea of it as "bad" is about.

Infinite

I think the term itself is misused in general and even your post here demonstrates a lack of understanding of what it actually means. Everything is appropriation in a sense and appropriation is neither an inherently negative or positive thing.

Top Bottom