• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer 7 Gamepot Review [GC and PS2]

Khalid-S

Chances are you'll either love Killer7 or hate it. The game offers two difficulty settings, plus some unique bonuses for once you finish the adventure for the first time. But the way in which this game might stick with you could easily outweigh whatever replay value these extras provide. Especially for a game that's filled with lots of mindless shooting, Killer7 makes you think. And it makes you wonder why most games don't even bother to try. And maybe that's the whole point.

By Greg Kasavin

Gameplay -7
Graphics -8
Sound -8
Value -8
Tilt -10

http://www.gamespot.com/gamecube/action/killer7/review.html

and the PS2 copy got 8.0

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/killer7/review.html

there is a video review too

Ruzbeh

Banned
That's a pretty good (and surprising) rating. I guess I really couldn't trust those EGM or whatever magazine's ratings.

Thomper

ratcliffja said:
What the?!? Who are you and why did you almost steal my name?
Radcliff's Profile said:
Ratcliffja's Profile said:
If anybody stole anyone's name, it would be you stealing his. :D

Anyway, Killer 7 is beginning to sound more and more interesting.. I WILL have to give this a try now.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
The written review was actually really nice and well thought out. It didnt read like the beginning of a forum flame war!

+1 kasavin

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
sp0rsk said:
The written review was actually really nice and well thought out. It didnt read like the beginning of a forum flame war!

+1 kasavin

I agree, which is why I'm really happy in anticipation. With all the reviews, impressions, etc etc this is the first analysis of the game I've really enjoyed.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
I hope GC users don't pass this game up. It's dry season for us and this seems like an original game that would be a good place holder for those who played RE4 and are waiting for Zelda. Capcom has been my favorite developer this gen without a doubt. My hats off to them.

For some reason I always thought this was a GC exclusive. Looked pretty cool though, Ill have to give it a rent for sure. MUST NOT BUY ANY MORE GAMES!

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
This is one of my last games I used the GameRush crazy deal on :( Until it starts back up, this and Pirates! are the last reasons for me to shop there.

I guess it really is just a love-it-or-hate-it experience, as I found it awfully boring.

Hours in, I found myself just going through the motions, holding down A and blasting things just because I had to review it, not because I was having fun. Once or twice, the pacing actually picked up a bit and I got a feeling in my stomach like I sort of thought I was about to start enjoying myself. And then it just sort of fell apart again immediately after.

I actually don't know. I put in well over ten hours before I decided to stop, but there's no in-game clock as far as I could see. I was well into the fifth level and I'm just going to make a wild guess that there are seven levels in total. So 15+ would be a good guess.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Good, that's about how long I was hoping it would be. Kobuns review said the game is quite easy. What's the difference between the two difficulty settings?

In the "hard" difficulty setting there are less hints for the puzzles, less blood from the enemies, and the enemies' critical points don't show up automatically.

In general I'd avoid playing that mode the first time around, just because I think that means you'd have NO way of knowing where the critical points are.

Wow...I am seriously wicked surprised right now. Actually I'm not, because it just appears that Kasavin just goes against what everyone wants. And most people want Killer 7 to bomb. But I'm not one of those people. Getting my copy tomorrow!

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Thanks Kobun. I'm probably gonna go against your advice though and try hard first. I just don't like the idea of being spoon-fed all the info to solve the puzzles and kill the enemies.

Oracle Dragon said:
For some reason I always thought this was a GC exclusive. Looked pretty cool though, Ill have to give it a rent for sure. MUST NOT BUY ANY MORE GAMES!
It was supposed to be exclusive, but just like Viewtiful Joe and Resident Evil 4, Capcom decided to bring it over to PS2. I'm surprised PN03 stayed exclusive.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
Greg also posted some follow up impressions in a less formal manner in his GS Journal. It's also a good read.

http://forums.gamespot.com/gamespot/journal_entry.php?board=909091972&topic=22040874

Killer7 is another one of those games that I probably wouldn't have played through all the way till the end unless I felt that I needed to (for purposes of an assignment). And, in the end, I'm very glad I did, and happily recommend other like-minded game players to do the same...I expect they'll also come away with a similarly positive experience. I've complained plenty of times about how video game endings suck and how the journey alone is the reward. Not in this case--here's a game that gives you some real payoff for all you invest earlier on.

I feel like the fact that Killer7 isn't a sequel to anything is hurting perceptions about the game. It's also probably just overhyped--it always looked really interesting since we first heard of it, and people maybe just assumed it'd be some super-slick action game like what Resident Evil 4 turned out to be. I'm usually reluctant to name-drop in my reviews, but I felt the point of comparison to Metal Gear Solid needed to go into this one, because it's by far the closest thing I've played to Killer7. Both games have the pretenses of being these cinematic action adventure experiences, but soon lure you into convoluted storylines with thinly veiled, heavy-handed politcal agendas. They end up being greater than the sum of their parts on account of how over-the-top their stories and characters are. And good for them! It's great to see game designers using games as their soapbox, if only because it's so uncommon. It's great to see game designers with real audacity. Killer7 is a work of confidence. There's this one character in it who just stands there, flipping you off with both hands, and he seems to represent the game with respect to its detractors--screw all you disbelievers (or "losers", as the character would put it).

Much like Metal Gear Solid 3 last year, I'm sure I'll vividly remember Killer7 long after I've forgotten the specifics of most of this year's games. Also like that game, I think Killer7 is better as an "experience" than it is as a game. Mind you, MGS3 is the superior of the two (significantly higher score--take it at face value), but the games feel kind of similar. Actually, Killer7 most resembles MGS2, which is by far the most absurd of the Metal Gear games.

I can't wait to see what everyone else thinks of this game once they play it, though I think I can predict a lot of the immediate reactions. I'm mostly interested to see more interpretations of the game--I have my own, and they're based on my inference that the game is clearly a product of a postwar generation of Japanese...the equivalent of our post-baby boomers. People with high aspirations but a firm grip on the harshness of reality, and who try to enjoy the irony of knowing that humankind seems doomed to repeat its past mistakes, directly as a result of trying to avoid them.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
I think at 20 Bucks most everyone here interested in the genre should pick it up. I can't wait to get into new and compelling experiences like this one.

I've complained plenty of times about how video game endings suck and how the journey alone is the reward. Not in this case--here's a game that gives you some real payoff for all you invest earlier on.

Sweet. Seldom do game plots live up to their inevitable build-up in the end and the story always looked very interesting to me. Glad to see they followed through this time. I always thought the Fire Pro series had good stories.

Bebpo

Banned
Kobun Heat said:
I actually don't know. I put in well over ten hours before I decided to stop, but there's no in-game clock as far as I could see. I was well into the fifth level and I'm just going to make a wild guess that there are seven levels in total. So 15+ would be a good guess.

Since you're actually near the end, you should really finish the game. The final level and the explanation of the story are the real payoff for playing the game. Heck you might actually end up liking it and be pissed about the review you wrote :p

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Bebpo said:
Since you're actually near the end, you should really finish the game. The final level and the explanation of the story are the real payoff for playing the game. Heck you might actually end up liking it and be pissed about the review you wrote :p

He wrote a review and didn't finish the game? Thats when you know you've broken into the big leagues.

Ironclad

Good review, good score. Nothing to complain about here. I'll rent it within the week. If it's 10-15 hours I will finish it before it's due and depending on how I like it, will pick it up sooner or later just to support it.

Funny thing is, this is one of the few times I was actually waiting for the reviews before I decide on whether or not I'm getting a game!

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Got it, the only one sold I think in Northwest Indiana as well. I was the first one to buy today at the store I got it fro

puck1337

My local EB sold out of Cube copies, sold zero PS2 copies. I have a PS2, but I'm holding out until I can find a GameCube copy.

It's just so dusty :(

Top Bottom