• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima Productions announces colaboration with Xbox Game Studios

Keihart

So 2 confirmed Kojipro games on development?
Hell Yeah Reaction GIF by PlayStation

So is Overdose this or something else? I’m confused. If they had a trailer ready to go they shouldn’t have pulled a Microsoft and announced fuck all again.

pasterpl

So much salt. I dont even like Kohima games but I am curious about this collab with MS. It is funny/sad how some people are reacting to independent studio making deals with platform owner. Sony probably made offers to acquire Kojima but I am guessing he prefers to stay independent.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
The meltdown is real!

Anger Rage GIF

Embarrassing to read this thread...
Go play some games, stop worrying about companies and where Producers go...!
This GAF thread? 🤔
Kojimas appearance had people legit shook.
Where's the salt? I'm reading the thread and all I see is Lognor and Adamsapples going around "you guys are shook right? Right?" There's literally no info about this game at all and no one is upset.

Judge Judy Do Not Want GIF

Shmunter

This GAF thread? 🤔

Where's the salt? I'm reading the thread and all I see is Lognor and Adamsapples going around "you guys are shook right? Right?" There's literally no info about this game at all and no one is upset.

Judge Judy Do Not Want GIF
Reverse salt?

Snorting pepper?

Xbox fans going to spend the next six years hyping up this game despite nothing to be seen.

Just like Sony fans did with the vaporware that is Abandoned? Which turned out to be an utter scam? Oh yes please do tell me more about how Sony fans never run the hype train.

At least this is actually...you know... REAL.

Also even with nothing to show this is pretty massive. Xbox needs more Japanese games presence and this is as big as you could pretty much go with that.

I never saw these complaints with the blue rats when Sony showed nothing with their announcement of their Kojima partnership. So why bitch and moan that Xbox did the same?

It's so fucking hypocritical it's actually ridiculous. Grow up.

Last edited:

ParaSeoul

Just like Sony fans did with the vaporware that is Abandoned?
People realized a short while after it was nothing. Only thing keeping it alive were the few convinced it was something more and shitposters memeing it was real. Almost all of those took place in tiny subreddits,a few twitter accounts and of course our glorious general thread.

3liteDragon

But the show was about 3rd party studios, not 3rd party games.
We’ll have some exciting reveals from our third-party partners, plus a sneak peek at several games in development for PlayStation VR2.
None of those games (other than Horizon COTM & Spider-Man PC) were published by Sony which is why they're included in a 30-min SoP & they were all third-party titles. IF they were even funding a SH game with Kojima, they're most likely gonna save it for a big showcase cause that's a big first-party title regardless of who's working on it (first or third-party studio).

GhostOfTsu

Banned
About what?
It was a nothing burger
They were hoping it would be this huge megaton but there's no energy at all here. Always the same 2 posters arguing with imaginary upset PS fans. Thread is dead.

TLOU1 announcement had over 20 pages after a couple of hours.

ParaSeoul

coffinbirth

A few things don't add up here.
It has been known for over a year that Kojima had a Stadia project cancelled in summer of 2020 that was supposedly an episodic horror game, and not long after that revelation, rumors began emerging that Xbox had picked it up. Perhaps it took a long time to iron out their agreement, but surely he didn't just scrap everything and start from scratch...right?

Fast forward to this week, where it was leaked that not only was this rumor true, but we got a name, Overdose, and the person that leaked this had access to a teaser trailer and described it. KojiPro asked for this story to be taken down, Henderson refused, and now we have this big showcase and Kojima doesn't say shit, basically.

No name, no genre, no teaser trailer...it just doesn't add up.

Did he just refuse to show the trailer because of the leak, or is he working on two horror games and Death Stranding 2 simultaneously?
What the fuck is Overdose if it already has a trailer but they didn't show it here? Did he take all that work from the cancelled Stadia project and rework it into another horror game(Overdose) and when Microsoft caught wind of his desire to make a cloud based game pivoted his original idea into a wholly different game?

If that's the case, my theory is that DS2 is a Sony exclusive, the cloud based game is a Microsoft exclusive and Overdose is a multiplat....or a Switch exclusive and that teaser trailer was meant for the Nintendo presentation that is supposedly happening on June 29th???

ParaSeoul

It has been known for over a year that Kojima had a Stadia project cancelled in summer of 2020 that was supposedly an episodic horror game, and not long after that revelation, rumors began emerging that Xbox had picked it up. Perhaps it took a long time to iron out their agreement, but surely he didn't just scrap everything and start from scratch...right?

Fast forward to this week, where it was leaked that not only was this rumor true, but we got a name, Overdose, and the person that leaked this had access to a teaser trailer and described it. KojiPro asked for this story to be taken down, Henderson refused, and now we have this big showcase and Kojima doesn't say shit, basically.

Did he just refuse to show the trailer because of the leak, or is he working on two horror games and Death Stranding 2 simultaneously?
What the fuck is Overdose if it already has a trailer but they didn't show it here? Did he take all that work from the cancelled Stadia project and rework it into another horror game(Overdose) and when Microsoft caught wind of his desire to make a cloud based game pivoted his original idea into a wholly different game?

If that's the case, my theory is that DS2 is a Sony exclusive, the cloud based game is a Microsoft exclusive and Overdose is a multiplat....or a Switch exclusive and that teaser trailer was meant for the Nintendo presentation that is supposedly happening on June 29th???

If Snitch is actually a youtube employee seeing the trailers as they're queued like some people have theorized,we might be seeing it soon enough. I don't think he is though,seems to me more like a Sony employee or at least a contractor.
Calm Down Kenan Thompson GIF by Saturday Night Live

People realized a short while after it was nothing. Only thing keeping it alive were the few convinced it was something more and shitposters memeing it was real. Almost all of those took place in tiny subreddits,a few twitter accounts and of course our glorious general thread.

And all the Sony focused games media too. Let's not forget. It was massive. Let's not try and down play it. Sony fans were creating fiction in a desperate attempt for it to be real.

I don't think there's any Death Stranding 2, that's all a red herring. Whatever this overdose is, that's the game they are making with Norman R and the other chick from DS. Probably the actual AAA Silent Hill that's been rumored for ages.

ParaSeoul

And all the Sony focused games media too. Let's not forget. It was massive. Let's not try and down play it. Sony fans were creating fiction in a desperate attempt for it to be real.
Once again that didn't last. Look at every article from any credible site after the initial weeks of speculation.

coffinbirth

I don't think there's any Death Stranding 2, that's all a red herring. Whatever this overdose is, that's the game they are making with Norman R and the other chick from DS. Probably the actual AAA Silent Hill that's been rumored for ages.
Considering how Konami treated Kojima before and after they parted ways, not sure why anyone would think Konami would allow Kojima to have anything to do with their IP...let alone why Kojima would ever want to make them another dime.

Omega ugly breakup.

Last we heard, Konami owed him money, claimed he was "sullying the reputation of our company" and supposedly even going so far as to try to sabotage the formation of KojiPro itself.

It's never made any sense to me why people have clung to this after knowing all of the toxic bullshit he had to endure from them.

Here's a refresher in case people aren't aware of what I'm talking about.
https://www.svg.com/155464/the-truth-behind-konami-and-kojimas-split/

Considering how Konami treated Kojima before and after they parted ways, not sure why anyone would think Konami would allow Kojima to have anything to do with their IP...let alone why Kojima would ever want to make them another dime.

Omega ugly breakup.

Last we heard, Konami owed him money, claimed he was "sullying the reputation of our company" and supposedly even going so far as to try to sabotage the formation of KojiPro itself.

It's never made any sense to me why people have clung to this after knowing all of the toxic bullshit he had to endure from them.

Here's a refresher in case people aren't aware of what I'm talking about.
https://www.svg.com/155464/the-truth-behind-konami-and-kojimas-split/
because...

Hustling Lupin Iii GIF

We already know there are SH games in the works, leaked by multiple sources at this point.

And people aren't excited because it's silent hill, they are excited because it's Kojima potentially finishing what he started with PT.

Flutta

Banned
People need to understand that most indie studios are desperate for funds. This is basically Kojima needing a handout after how DS flopped.
Dont jump on me ponies i enjoyed DS alot, here hoping for a sequel 🤩

CuNi

The meltdown is real!

Anger Rage GIF

Embarrassing to read this thread...
Go play some games, stop worrying about companies and where Producers go...!

I was contemplating a very long time if I even engage in this or the rate the show thread as it was flooded with people either in denial, salty, trying to downplay it so badly or just trolling.

I don't know when gaming went from "oh man this game looks awesome, wish I could play it too!!" to "pff this looked like some indie trash shit. U liked that? Holy fuck you must have eye cancer. I wouldn't even want to touch this game if I'd be payed for it!!".

I knew gamers like to be toxic and tbh a bit can even be funny, but those threads just reek of that stuff. I hope it'll normalize again in a few days but currently it feels like you can't have a proper conversation on what wasn shown and announced because you just know it won't take long till people will start a fight again.

Data Ghost

I look forward to this...at the end of the generation when the next-gen consoles have been announced and I am on the verge of selling my Series X. We've been here so many times before with vapourware announcements and nothing to show for YEARS afterwards, if ever.

Rykan

Just like Sony fans did with the vaporware that is Abandoned? Which turned out to be an utter scam? Oh yes please do tell me more about how Sony fans never run the hype train.
Nobody hyped up Abandoned for Abandoned. People "hyped" up Abandoned hoping it was viral marketing for different game & franchise. Nobody has ever hyped "Abandoned" itself.

Riky

$MSFT
Good news is he seems to have been given the freedom and the budget to make the game HE wants to make, that's rare these days, fingers crossed it's a classic.

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
Over-hyped, overrated hack developer finds new sucker with bottomless pit, to fund another extended cut scene, pretending to be a game.

Godot25

Banned
Sony announces partnership with Kojima with no game, no engine but maybe with idea
Players: "OMFG, It's happening"
Microsoft announces partnership with Kojima with no game, probably with engine and idea
Players: "MS so desperate to announce this when it's clearly little more than an idea at this point, and knowing MS management track record will probably get rebooted and delayed at least once. Please be excited."

Clearly there is nothing like double standard.

Also. Congratulations to Grubb for being one of the true "insiders"

xbox fans are backtracking like crazy. some of you were hyping up that showcase like it was going to be the greatest show ever. it wasnt even top 5 of microsoft shows. also, you guys were sure overdose was the horror game from kojima and would be exclusive to xbox. where is it?

did sony announce the kojima partnership at a show? no they didnt. it was just a youtube video of andrew house and kojima. when they actually got him out on a stage at E3 2016, he had a trailer of his new game. lord knows how long it'll be until we even have a clue what this xbox game is

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Good point.

We don't have enough information about the game to make any judgments on what kind of cloud implementation Kojima plans to use.

Flight Sim stores a lot of local data as well but augments the fuck out of it with cloud data.

Kojima's game could probably be something which involves traversing a lot of real world locations, hence his need and want for a cloud focused platform.
I could see something with a very complicated world AI also. Where the client might be doing the work on the events that are visible to you, but the cloud is handling a real-time AI beyond that. You could also maybe support multiple clients throughout gameplay. Maybe console+mobile/tablet. A lot of interesting possibilities, I guess we'll see how it goes.

dugdug

Banned
I love how people suggest "iT's THe samE tHiNg" as if Kojima doesn't have a 20+ year long history with one company versus the other.

Like, sorry, but, when he shows up with Sony I tend to believe it's a real partnership. When he shows up for 30 seconds during an Xbox show and proceeds to completely ignore it on Twitter (while tweeting about the PS3 and Death Stranding all day), I'm skeptical.

coffinbirth

because...

Hustling Lupin Iii GIF

We already know there are SH games in the works, leaked by multiple sources at this point.

And people aren't excited because it's silent hill, they are excited because it's Kojima potentially finishing what he started with PT.
Yeah money that Konami doesn't want to burn on someone like Kojima, whom is known for burning money...hence studios like goddamned Bloober Team being contracted out. Also, are you under the impression Silent Hill sells well? It does not. The entire series has only sold 8 million copies, TOTAL.

And no, I'm pretty sure people are excited for Silent Hill on it's own just fine. lol.

I'm not saying I'd eat my hat if Kojima and Konami teamed up again, but I am saying it sounds like some people might need to let go of that particular fantasy.

I love how people suggest "iT's THe samE tHiNg" as if Kojima doesn't have a 20+ year long history with one company versus the other.

Like, sorry, but, when he shows up with Sony I tend to believe it's a real partnership. When he shows up for 30 seconds during an Xbox show and proceeds to completely ignore it on Twitter (while tweeting about the PS3 and Death Stranding all day), I'm skeptical.

i remember when he showed up at xbox e3 to announce mgs rising. he looked like he couldnt wait to get off the stage. then he showed up at sony's e3 and was like this is the real game im making! kojima has always been a sony fanboy, so the idea that he had disagreements over death stranding and was ditching sony was always console warrior wet dreams.

dugdug

Banned
i remember when he showed up at xbox e3 to announce mgs rising. he looked like he couldnt wait to get off the stage. then he showed up at sony's e3 and was like this is the real game im making! kojima has always been a sony fanboy, so the idea that he had disagreements over death stranding and was ditching sony was always console warrior wet dreams.
I mean, obviously he was working before MGS on PS1, but, there's no doubt that was the game and series that put his name on the map. I'm sure he's always had a soft spot for them ever since.

Top Bottom