• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami Confirms a New Silent Hill Game Is Being Considered

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
silent-hill-3.original.jpg
Last week, a number of rumours got out about the possible revival of the Silent Hill franchise with reports of a soft reboot and an Until Dawn-style title in the works. Those projects haven't been confirmed to actually be a thing just yet, although publisher Konami has now spoken out on the subject -- teasing that the series' return could actually be on the cards. You can consider us intrigued to say the least.

Speaking with PC GamesN, a Konami representative said: "We cannot share anything at this point, but we are listening to customer feedback and considering ways to provide the next title." It's a fairly surprising response where the Japanese studio doesn't kill the rumours where they stand -- instead offering fans hope that there may actually be some truth to the speculation.

If the two games do actually come to fruition then they'll most likely be on PlayStation 5, an assumption which excites us rather a lot. The return of survival horror on Sony's next-generation console? Count us in. Do you hope Silent Hill makes its return in the next couple of years? Avoid Pyramid Head in the comments below.

The plot thickens

Last edited:

j0hnnix

Will it have the original creator? it definitely won't have Kojima as a designer.

Random thought. I hope Phil Spencer didn't talk with Konami during his visit and thought this was a good idea. No Kojima or Keiichiro.. that would be an epic bamboozle.

Will it have the original creator? it definitely won't have Kojima as a designer.

Random thought. I hope Phil Spencer didn't talk with Konami during his visit and thought this was a good idea. No Kojima or Keiichiro.. that would be an epic bamboozle.
Isn't the original Silent Hill guy at Sony now? Worked on Siren and Gravity Rush. I think he's working on some new project over at Sony, so I doubt he has anything to do with a new Silent Hill. Curious to see who they tap to even work on it.

j0hnnix

Isn't the original Silent Hill guy at Sony now? Worked on Siren and Gravity Rush. I think he's working on some new project over at Sony, so I doubt he has anything to do with a new Silent Hill. Curious to see who they tap to even work on it.

That's right. Main guy is out and no way Kojima will show up at Konami unless he's with Geoff. This will just turn out to be another MG:Survive. if it's even true "Thinking about it"

That's right. Main guy is out and no way Kojima will show up at Konami unless he's with Geoff. This will just turn out to be another MG:Survive. if it's even true "Thinking about it"
Yeah Kojima is not going back to Konami. Who is still at Konami to work on it if it was internal?

Azurro

Banned
Silent Hill on next gen pachislot machines? Sounds awesome, I can't wait.

Seriously though, even if it's not a complete rumor, does Konami even have the manpower to do a decent game anymore? They haven't released anything decent that I can think of since MGSV came out and if it's true that they are looking for bids from dev studios, the game is not going to be done by Bungie or anyone like that, so I have very little faith in that other option.

makaveli60

Well I guess after seeing Capcom's success with REmakes, considering a new Silent Hill probably means Remakes of Silent Hill 1-3 eh...
That would be the best thing they can do without the original team. Don't touch the story, music etc. just modernize it technically and bam!

GrayChild

Still not enough to make me fully invested. Not after everything that happened after the dissolution of Team Silent.

If that's the game Ito is working on, and (if the rumors are true) other TS members are also involved coupled with a proper budget, then I'm on the hype train as well.

RaySoft

Oh. Kojima did take some staff with him didn't he? I didn't know they lost a lot of devs
I'm probably jumping to conclusions as well here, but who would stay at a company who's _clearly_ stated (through it's actions) that they don't want to compete in the console market anymore? All talented people should flock to other companies as a result (wich I presume happened. They would be stupid for staying out of loyalty)

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Considering?

Why do I have a bad feeling that will turn out as a mobile game? I dunno, catching customer feedback sounds fishy to me.

TwistedSyn

Nah. Give the IP to a company that will actually do it justice. I have no faith with Konami being at the helm of it.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
I totally agree, but with all the talent long gone, the question becomes; "How?"

Agreed. Konami just doesn't sound like they are ready to really put a real budget and team behind a solid Silent Hill title. So they need a Capcom come back next gen, either that or they will be open to selling their company like Capcom was in no time if they are not already open to that.

What Capcom did this gen, is exactly what I felt they should have done and predicted they would do. Go very, very conservative, only focus on established IPs and stick to classic concept, not any of this Call Of Evil, Resident Of Gears shit that they pulled last gen that almost cost them their whole fucking company. I saw this work for SEGA post Dreamcast. PS2 and XB and GC come along, Sega focuses on established IP like Sonic, Crazy Taxi, ports Shenmue etc, their risky IP was Yakuza and that was a solid 5 years after they called it quits with Dreamcast and they even needed the help of Sony to put it out. It shows several things, that they needed to focus on established IP, that even a new IP they would need help with and couldn't just put on all platforms day 1 etc. This SEGA would go on to buy Relic and Atlus and many more and have a solid generation with PS3 and 360 pushing new IP like Bayonetta, Vanquish, Valkyrie Chronicles etc.

So its easy to guess what Capcom might do (or should do). Go CONSERVATIVE, focus on what fucking works and relax on new IP and wild ideas. Go to rooted, classic concepts. So Capcom does Revelations 1 and 2, RE7, RE2 remake, DMC5, Monster Hunter World, SFV etc. Not many new IP and focuses on established concepts instead of wild, costly ventures of risky concepts.

Konami can go the SEGA/Capcom route as they have a path forward based on the actions of those publishers that were once down and almost ready to be sold off. Make a Metal Gear Solid 6 that is JUST ABOUT Solid Snake, Raiden etc vs bad guy with Metal Gear, don't fuck with established concepts, fucking contract the last MGS writer if you have to, use FOX Engine, do what you MUST to get Kojima to give an endorsement to the story or even contract him to make the story only etc.

Silent Hill title by the main team, get as much as the old staff back, back with AAA budget, clearly make in small town, have fog, etc stick to basics.

Same with Castlevania. So they have a path forward, but they need to good BALLS DEEP to reboot not only those titles, but themselves as publishers. It won't be easy for them, but its not impossible.

ExpandKong

Banned
Agreed. Konami just doesn't sound like they are ready to really put a real budget and team behind a solid Silent Hill title. So they need a Capcom come back next gen, either that or they will be open to selling their company like Capcom was in no time if they are not already open to that.

What Capcom did this gen, is exactly what I felt they should have done and predicted they would do. Go very, very conservative, only focus on established IPs and stick to classic concept, not any of this Call Of Evil, Resident Of Gears shit that they pulled last gen that almost cost them their whole fucking company. I saw this work for SEGA post Dreamcast. PS2 and XB and GC come along, Sega focuses on established IP like Sonic, Crazy Taxi, ports Shenmue etc, their risky IP was Yakuza and that was a solid 5 years after they called it quits with Dreamcast and they even needed the help of Sony to put it out. It shows several things, that they needed to focus on established IP, that even a new IP they would need help with and couldn't just put on all platforms day 1 etc. This SEGA would go on to buy Relic and Atlus and many more and have a solid generation with PS3 and 360 pushing new IP like Bayonetta, Vanquish, Valkyrie Chronicles etc.

So its easy to guess what Capcom might do (or should do). Go CONSERVATIVE, focus on what fucking works and relax on new IP and wild ideas. Go to rooted, classic concepts. So Capcom does Revelations 1 and 2, RE7, RE2 remake, DMC5, Monster Hunter World, SFV etc. Not many new IP and focuses on established concepts instead of wild, costly ventures of risky concepts.

Konami can go the SEGA/Capcom route as they have a path forward based on the actions of those publishers that were once down and almost ready to be sold off. Make a Metal Gear Solid 6 that is JUST ABOUT Solid Snake, Raiden etc vs bad guy with Metal Gear, don't fuck with established concepts, fucking contract the last MGS writer if you have to, use FOX Engine, do what you MUST to get Kojima to give an endorsement to the story or even contract him to make the story only etc.

Silent Hill title by the main team, get as much as the old staff back, back with AAA budget, clearly make in small town, have fog, etc stick to basics.

Same with Castlevania. So they have a path forward, but they need to good BALLS DEEP to reboot not only those titles, but themselves as publishers. It won't be easy for them, but its not impossible.

Honestly any extensive Kojima involvement would turn me off of an MGS6 pretty quickly. The dude was done making MGS games like four games ago and it started to really show towards the end.

I would take a Rising 2 though. Continue that mostly positively-received spinoff series, give it a bit more time and money this time around, and let some more time pass before trying to tackle MGS proper again.

Naibel

I hope that the Silent Hill franchise rebounds in quality and popularity, in the same fashion as Resident Evil with VII. Be it with a talented new studio, the old guard, or a mix of both.

It's all up to Konami. They're obtuse but hopefully not THAT obtuse. They still know, by making those pachinko machines, that this brand still has some appeal to many people.

A Bluepoint-style remake of the original trilogy would be absolutely amazing ! It would be the greatest survivals ever made ! But I suppose I'm dreaming too much and we have yet to get any confirmation about anything really. Konami just "acknowledged" the demand.

I kinda hope something gets announced at E3 but man, I don't want to get blue-balled once again.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Gold Member
I'm not falling for this until I know everyone that's involved. I mean they've BEEN making Silent Hill "games" and they're a fucking disgrace to the entire series. In my heart of hearts, much like what has already been said above, I would LOVE to see remakes of 1-3. Remakes in the vein of the RE2 (and most likely RE3) ones. New graphics, same story, characters, experiences, maybe new scenes, etc. Anyone from the original team coming back would be incredible, even if it was just to consult. But I want proper Silent Hill to come back so bad. SO bad. If it can't be Team Silent, at least something as close to Team Silent as possible. Even if they're vastly inspired by them to the point where they'd produce something identical or similar. Ugh.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Honestly any extensive Kojima involvement would turn me off of an MGS6 pretty quickly. The dude was done making MGS games like four games ago and it started to really show towards the end.

I would take a Rising 2 though. Continue that mostly positively-received spinoff series, give it a bit more time and money this time around, and let some more time pass before trying to tackle MGS proper again.

I disagree. His involvement might be what is needed for Konami. Regardless of how anyone feels about Kojima, the reality is Metal Gear Solid is the house that Kojima built and that very much is going to have people not open to buying a new MGS if they feel he is not involved in some way. I'd NEVER go as far as to say he was done with this series "four games ago". "started to really show towards the end." based on what? We don't even know how many of those changes to the series were even his doing completely, as Konami still owns the IP. That would be like saying the failure of Survive is his doing too.

He made it into a Battle Royal Zombie game?

A change so fucking drastic like that tells , me many of those changes with MGSV might be from Konami.

"I would take a Rising 2 though" I mean sure, but we are talking about how to save Konami in general, they can get Platinum to do Rising 2 and still have their own team do MGS6 as those are 2 completely different teams and not either ors.

So I think the overall community wants to see Kojima and Murata pen a story that Konami doesn't keep trying to fuck up for sales. I have a hard time believing Kojima and Murata didn't want to kill off Solid Snake at the end of MGS4, that sounds like they wrote it that way, showed a trailer very much foreshadowing Solid Snake killing himself for the greater good and Konami wasn't having it and saw $$$ and forced them to re-write it. Big Boss is clearly a bad guy in Metal Gear 1, but....Konami not wanting to make some bad guy the main character, suddenly its time to fuck up MGSV story. All of this is to keep the main character alive, good, the hero etc. It tells me maybe Konami is doing this to move units and Kojima and Murata have story ideas to move the series forward, not force it to only be about 1 or 2 damn people.

look at Rising, don't you think its weird they even needed to go so far as to fucking make a side game JUST to have Raiden as the main character? So you could have Solid Snake off himself in MGS4, Raiden grief stricken goes on a killing rampage in Snakes honor mirroring Naked Snake/The Joy relationship, Rising 1 could be Metal Gear Solid 6 as it does take place after 4 and you could have a start to a new chapter to the series.

So if they want to, they can make Rising 2, simply Metal Gear Solid 6, kill off Snake or even just have him an old person helping Raiden like Otacon helped him. Lots of room exist for the series to just move on with someone else to show progression.

Setting aside the technical know-how, the respect for the franchise, the desire to appease fans, and the talent to modernize the series...

...do they even have the script-writing chops to make a Silent Hill that approaches the PS2 era?

There are 3 key personnel they need to bring back, Hiroyuki Owaku, Masahiro Ito and Akira Yamaoka, without them it won't be the "real" Silent Hill.

But I want the return of the "real" Silent Hill so fucking bad, you can't even imagine how bad I want it, it's the thing I want the most from the entire medium of video games.

I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much but I want to believe the "real" Silent Hill will return.

ExpandKong

Banned
I disagree. His involvement might be what is needed for Konami. Regardless of how anyone feels about Kojima, the reality is Metal Gear Solid is the house that Kojima built and that very much is going to have people not open to buying a new MGS if they feel he is not involved in some way. I'd NEVER go as far as to say he was done with this series "four games ago". "started to really show towards the end." based on what? We don't even know how many of those changes to the series were even his doing completely, as Konami still owns the IP. That would be like saying the failure of Survive is his doing too.

He made it into a Battle Royal Zombie game?

A change so fucking drastic like that tells , me many of those changes with MGSV might be from Konami.

"I would take a Rising 2 though" I mean sure, but we are talking about how to save Konami in general, they can get Platinum to do Rising 2 and still have their own team do MGS6 as those are 2 completely different teams and not either ors.

So I think the overall community wants to see Kojima and Murata pen a story that Konami doesn't keep trying to fuck up for sales. I have a hard time believing Kojima and Murata didn't want to kill off Solid Snake at the end of MGS4, that sounds like they wrote it that way, showed a trailer very much foreshadowing Solid Snake killing himself for the greater good and Konami wasn't having it and saw $$$ and forced them to re-write it. Big Boss is clearly a bad guy in Metal Gear 1, but....Konami not wanting to make some bad guy the main character, suddenly its time to fuck up MGSV story. All of this is to keep the main character alive, good, the hero etc. It tells me maybe Konami is doing this to move units and Kojima and Murata have story ideas to move the series forward, not force it to only be about 1 or 2 damn people.

look at Rising, don't you think its weird they even needed to go so far as to fucking make a side game JUST to have Raiden as the main character? So you could have Solid Snake off himself in MGS4, Raiden grief stricken goes on a killing rampage in Snakes honor mirroring Naked Snake/The Joy relationship, Rising 1 could be Metal Gear Solid 6 as it does take place after 4 and you could have a start to a new chapter to the series.

So if they want to, they can make Rising 2, simply Metal Gear Solid 6, kill off Snake or even just have him an old person helping Raiden like Otacon helped him. Lots of room exist for the series to just move on with someone else to show progression.

I mean, Kojima himself has said "This is the last one I'm directing" for every MGS game since Sons of Liberty, hahah. Admittedly though, a lot of it is just my personal reading into the way the series progressed.

I talk a lot of shit about Kojima here (I'm trying to dial back my shitposting lately I promise), but if the dude is anything at all he's creative. MGS was an unprecedented experience at the time of its release, a huge success for both Konami and Sony. People ate that shit up, myself included. A sequel was inevitable, and MGS2 was again a huge success. Then with MGS3, he got the chance to tell Big Boss's story, which was apparently something he really felt strongly about, and that game was fucking amazing and one of my top 5 GOATs.

At this point he became a bit more vocal about wanting to turn the franchise over to other people within Konami. A creative guy like Kojima would no doubt want to move on to other projects and not be tied to one franchise forever; Zone of the Enders was pretty successful and new entries in that franchise were rumored for a while too, and then there was Boktai which I never played but heard good things about.

But for whatever reason, MGS kept ending up back on his plate. Maybe he wasn't happy with what the younger crew was cranking out or maybe Konami bigwigs weren't happy with what the younger crew was cranking out, I'm not sure. Someone wasn't happy and Kojima kept ending up back at the helm.

So then there's MGS4, which set out to answer every question Kojima never meant to have answers and tie up every dangling thread left by the first three games. A daunting task, and one that people might argue was too much even for Kojima to handle. But it got done and the franchise got a proper ending.

Then he had to do Peace Walker, which was both a fairly big gameplay departure from the other games and a wholly unnecessary story in the MGS timeline. MGS4's writing was certainly beyond goofy, but Peace Walker somehow went even farther. An AI Boss, Pacifica Ocean, fucking Hot Coldman lol...cracks are starting to show here.

Then I think almost immediately after that, he begins work on "Project Ogre" aka MGSV. This ends up being an even bigger gameplay departure from the rest of the series, and again a wholly unnecessary midquel elbowing its way into the middle of the series timeline, changing the context of events both before and after it.

People had fun with it, sure, but in my mind Phantom Pain has very little of what made the earlier MGS games great. Even Ocelot, probably the greatest frenemy in all of games and the highlight of any scene he shows up in, is a shell of his former self here.

I dunno. It felt like it could've (or should've) been something other than a Metal Gear game, like a new franchise.

While he's doing all this, he gets a bit of involvement with the Castlevania franchise and starts working in some capacity on a new Silent Hill game. So he tries to branch out as much as he can, but keeps getting shunted back to Metal Gear (whether by Konami bigwigs or his own inability to let it go).

So based on the way the games really started changing (starting with 4 making it a point to answer every question there was left about the series and with the original idea for the ending being Snake and Otacon's execution, and ending with V's wholly different approach to gameplay and sparse, esoteric narrative) and Kojima's attitude after forming his own studio, I really get the feeling that he was just a creative dude that got tired of being Metal Gear Guy.

Maybe I'm being harsh. Maybe MGS6, or an MGS reboot or whatever, could benefit from a bit of story input from Kojima. I just get the feeling that he wouldn't be interested in returning to that world, and if he's doing something he doesn't really want to do then it'll suffer. Just look at how quickly he got Death Stranding out the door vs. how long it took to get MGSV, essentially half a game, released.

I have no basis for any of this though, hahah.

sublimit

Banned
Everyone wants more Silent Hill.
Not me. I love the first 3 games but i realize that the series should have ended at SH2. Everything that was made after that was either more or less pointless or completely out of touch from the essence of the first 2 games.

I'd love to see more third person horror games though.

SweetShark

I wonder how many time the original creator hit his head to the wall while seeing the development of the Pachinko Machine.

lifa-cobex

I have absolutely no faith in Konami making a god SH game anymore.

PT seemed like a massive spark of life until they snuffed it out.

The last iteration was painful to see.

Reon

I hope this is true, Silent Hill Downpour was pretty good all things considered. It wasn't god-tier amazing like Silent Hill 1-4 are but it was pretty good in a vacuum. If they could deliver even a game of that quality again I would be happy.

sublimit

Banned
I loved that game
Wish we got another. Think it was the first episodic series i had played.
You should also play the original PS2 game (the one you played on PS3 was the remake of the first Siren) because it's very different (although similar in tone) from the remake. They remastered the original PS2 game for PS4 as well so it's easy to get. And you can also try to find and play Siren 2 (PS2) but that was only released in Europe (and Japan) so that may be a bit hard to get.

Not me. I love the first 3 games but i realize that the series should have ended at SH2. Everything that was made after that was either more or less pointless or completely out of touch from the essence of the first 2 games.

I'd love to see more third person horror games though.

Stop at 2? No way, 3 is a masterpiece as well, I go back and forth on whether 2 or 3 is my favorite (at the end of the day I'd pick 2, but 3 was my favorite for a long time and is close behind)

However the argument could definitely be made that it should have a trilogy and nothing more, as the series was never as good as 3 again, not even close.

I bet they picked 2 western developers to outsource the games to. What developers do you guys think could do the series justice?

Last edited:

What does Kojima have to do with Silent Hill except being a part of the looping hallway demo called Silent Hills?

Theres like 6 mainline SH games plus PSP versions and a reboot even. Kojima has nothing to do with any of those. Im baffled how people forget the original Team Silent who are the ones responsible for creating the psychological horror franchise.

Kojima pitched some art house demo that actually looks nothing like SH except for the name and all of a sudden if he is not involved, the game will suck? Lol. Theres plenty of talented people out there and they dont need a big name attached to them to prove that.

Top Bottom