• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VGC] Neil Druckmann says new Naughty Dog title could ‘redefine mainstream perceptions of gaming’

Update to the update:

Update: Some further context from Neil himself:

GOY7pMfaMAAbqap

neil-druckmann-768x511.jpg

The studio’s parent company Sony used its corporate strategy meeting on Thursday to present its “Creative Entertainment Vision,” which it describes as its long-term vision for where it “wants to be in 10 years, with an eye towards future technological advances”.

In an interview published to coincide with today’s event, Druckmann was asked to share details about a personal vision or dream project he wants to see realised.

“I’ve been lucky to work on several dream projects and am currently excited about a new one, which is perhaps the most thrilling yet,” he said.
“There’s a growing appreciation for gaming that transcends all age groups, unlike when I was growing up. This shift is highlighted by our venture into television with The Last of Us, which I hoped would bridge the gap between gamers and non-gamers.

“The show’s success has spotlighted gaming, illustrating the rich, immersive experiences it offers. This visibility excites me not only for our current project but for the broader potential of gaming to captivate a global audience.

“I’m eager to see how this new game resonates, especially following the success of The Last of Us, as it could redefine mainstream perceptions of gaming.”
Naughty Dog has yet to announce its next game, and Druckmann has danced around its identity during recent interviews.

Last year, he suggested the studio would reveal its next game game closer to its release than has previously been the case, in a bid to combat “work-life balance issues” than arose from announcing what it was working on too soon.

Having previously acknowledged strong fan demand for The Last of Us Part 3, Druckmann recently confirmed that he has a concept for a third game in mind and thinks there will be one more chapter to the story.
However, he’s also spoken about wanting to try new things, and Sony’s willingness to let Naughty Dog do so. He returned to this subject during the new Sony interview.

“You have to take risks to find new ideas that connect with audiences, and even though Uncharted was a chart-topping success, it was important for our studio to innovate again with a new franchise like The Last of Us,” he said.

“Many companies would insist on sticking to profitable franchises, but SIE’s culture and philosophy empower us to pursue new ideas. Art requires risk; You can’t engineer perfectly and predict how successful it will be. I’m incredibly thankful that SIE trusts us to leverage our past successes to explore brand new creative avenues.”
In February, Druckmann said he’s started thinking seriously about when he might stop making blockbuster games.

In an interview with rapper Logic, Naughty Dog’s president said he could envision himself transitioning to something more low-key, which enables him to continue being creative in a less stressful environment while also spending more time with his kids.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
  • Transcends all age groups (young and middle-aged is current gaming audience, so this includes older adults now)
  • mentions the TV show again
  • redefine mainstream perceptions (non-gamer perceptions) of gaming
  • broader potential (blue ocean)
Could be a much more story based project with less "gamey" combat intended for gamers and non-gamers. Definitely a new IP.

Kurotri

Sounds like a new IP. Between the setbacks caused by the failed multiplayer project and remastering older games I fully expect this thing to be a PS6 launch title at this point.

Perrott

And here come all the uncultured dipshits to drop their retarded takes on the latest Neil Druckmann thread.

On the thread's topic, yeah, it's super obvious as soon as you read between the lines of his comments that Naughty Dog is working on a new IP. I wonder if the way in which this new title aims to redefine mainstream's perception of gaming comes down to the subject matter that it deals with, being perhaps more in line with an Oscars-bait movie in that regard.

Embearded

It's not that i don't believe him, but please don't speak about something you haven't revealed yet, let the footage do the talking.

Perrott

He's talking about The Last Of Us Part 3.

There's no way in hell they're not making another one.
Considering how he brought back the time when they took the risk of making The Last Of Us, a new intelectual property, during this interview to draw a parallel to what they seem to be doing with this game, I'd say it's pretty much guaranteed that we're in front of a new IP.

Especially when considering that, according to the Part II documentary, Neil didn't seem to have landed on an idea for Part III until sometime around early last year.

Filben

This seems to be addressing b2b, mostly investors. What (educated) gamer do you want to impress or reach with these phrases?

What most gamers want to see is gameplay, no idle talk, PRspeak, etc.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I think he'll talk a lot of bollocks about fresh new ideas and pushing boundaries and so forth... and then he'll announce TLOU3 officially.
Yeah, maybe. But I think he's dropped about 6 different clues. Also talking about not doing blockbusters. We'll see.

near

Gold Member
I think he'll talk a lot of bollocks about fresh new ideas and pushing boundaries and so forth... and then he'll announce TLOU3 officially.
It'll be a new project. You can't say stuff like this and then announce a sequel, I'd be very disappointed.

“Many companies would insist on sticking to profitable franchises, but SIE’s culture and philosophy empower us to pursue new ideas. Art requires risk; You can’t engineer perfectly and predict how successful it will be. I’m incredibly thankful that SIE trusts us to leverage our past successes to explore brand new creative avenues.”

FunkMiller

It'll be a new project. You can't say stuff like this and then announce a sequel, I'd be very disappointed.

There's no way all the millions upon millions wasted on that stupid GaaS idea won't get rolled into another TLOU game. There might well be another 'new' concept that'll be a very small fry game compared to a third installment of Last Of Us.

Top Bottom