• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VGC] Neil Druckmann says new Naughty Dog title could ‘redefine mainstream perceptions of gaming’

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Now everyone will realize how bad Naughty Dog's gameplay is.
I don't really like Naughty Dog games but the gameplay is usually pretty solid. I thought it was brilliant in Uncharted 4; solid TPS with the rope platforming and solid multiplayer too. What I usually hate is the characters and story in most of their games. Can't say I liked the story much in Uncharted 4 either; it was fine. I was tempted to pick up TLOU2's roguelite mode since the gameplay by itself looks super solid for a TPS. I don't think that was really ever the issue for people.

near

Gold Member
Damn, you trying to gargle on Hideo's balls or some shit? Chill lol.
I'd share a confined space with Kojima any day of the week. :p

zjZ982U.jpeg

I don't really like Naughty Dog games but the gameplay is usually pretty solid. I thought it was brilliant in Uncharted 4; solid TPS with the rope platforming and solid multiplayer too. What I usually hate is the characters and story in most of their games. Can't say I liked the story much in Uncharted 4 either; it was fine. I was tempted to pick up TLOU2's roguelite mode since the gameplay by itself looks super solid for a TPS. I don't think that was really ever the issue for people.
TLoU2 was peak gameplay from ND. I think the seamless transitions between realtime and kill animations was easily the most impressive design work I've seen come out the studio. You could really tell how much time and effort was put into crafting it to really blur the lines between what was scripted and what wasn't. But overall, it's the same old game design. Jump, crouch, cover, etc nothing really new in terms of player interactions with the environment and enemy AI. It's the same problem Rockstar Games have had, they make little effort to refine their IPs mechanically, the only difference is TLoU2 was a joy to play regardless.

Last edited:

midnightAI

Because she is not embarrassed to make video games and actually knows how to pace a story. It seems that Neil Druckmann knew that as well in TLoU 1 and utterly forgot everything in TLoU 2 (there are many problems I have with TLoU2. And I say that as someone who thinks that TLoU1 is Naughty Dog's third-best game.)

I think she's leading development on a Marvel game (some Captain America bullshit) at Skydance Media.
And I personally don't have any issues with the pacing (story or game itself) of any of Naughty Dogs games and TLoU2 is my favourite game of theirs (it's up there with one of the best games of all time in my opinion, yes, better than 1). So each to their own I guess.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

It's the mechanics. Their games are frequently sluggish and overly infatuated with animation over responsiveness. I thought the encounter design was abysmal in TLOU2, but that's more open to debate.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I am not the local resident naughty dog defender especially with the uncharted and last of Us series but I can even give the studio its credit and I hope that it's a different kind of game then those two. I love a lot of their earlier works and they definitely make quality and are one of the best studios in the world but I hope they make a different type of game as they are one of the most talented in the world. People can make the jokes about sports sniffing or fart piffing or whatever you want to say but the pedigree at that studio is second to none.

Gambit2483

I don't understand the point of this comment. Do you want them to rush out a shitty product below their normal standard? If it's not ready, it's not ready. simple.
No, I woyld want them to manage their studio better and be more productive and if they aren't able to be called out on instead of being continously praised despite not doing anything noteworthy in several years.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Yea dude, 5 pages to talk about absolutely NOTHINGGGGGGGGG.

Show the damn game.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Look, I know some people are mad about the reviews of Hellblade 2 and "Xbox tax", but when you say crazy things like this, someone has to make sure you've taken your medication lately. Im here for you...:messenger_pensive:

Theres nothing groundbreaking in that clip at all. Its ellie going through a dark creepy linear path and fighting some bandits here and there. Heck you got her making a ton of noise in the water and breathing and that enemy sitting on crate coudnt even hear her 2 ft away. It's really no different than exploring a creepy building in Fallout 3 with bandits or zombies wandering around. In fact, the Fallout games the enemies are actually given pretty good audio AI, so you really got to be out of sight sneaking, or else they'll notice and bee-line to you.

But LOU has top notch production values.

Last edited:

FUBARx89

I always thought the shooting in TLOU & Uncharted was utter dog shite. So I'm having a hard time believing him.

Soodanim

Such an empty statement means nothing. I could learn to code and make a game that could redefine mainstream perceptions of gaming. It's not likely, but it's not statistically impossible.

I'm more surprised how the industry as a whole is seemingly ok with this acclaimed studio basically having (or will have) gone an entire generation with jackshit to show for it. I guess that's just acceptable when you're ND.
I don't understand this post. Why are we under the assumption that they won't have anything this generation? Especially when Neil mentions they don't want to announce games as early as they have in the past.

On top of that, they released a game like 5 months before this gen started. Soon it will be 4 years since TLoU part 2 released. Bigger games like this generally take 4-6 years regardless. Maybe they end up not releasing a game this gen, but can we cross that bridge when we get there and not start complaining about it too early.

Gambit2483

I don't understand this post. Why are we under the assumption that they won't have anything this generation? Especially when Neil mentions they don't want to announce games as early as they have in the past.

On top of that, they released a game like 5 months before this gen started. Soon it will be 4 years since TLoU part 2 released. Bigger games like this generally take 4-6 years regardless. Maybe they end up not releasing a game this gen, but can we cross that bridge when we get there and not start complaining about it too early.
Sony already said there's nothing 1st party to announce in 2024. So, given they scrapped whatever their live service game was, even if they announced a new game/project next year, chances are it wouldn't release until 2 years later (if that). That's 2027 until their next release, at the earliest. I'm pretty sure Sony will be talking PS6 by then. That's basically a full generation of just dicking around...but of course I would love to be proven wrong. They need step up and stop resting on their reputation/goodwill

KaiserBecks

“Many companies would insist on sticking to profitable franchises, but SIE’s culture and philosophy empower us to pursue new ideas. Art requires risk; You can’t engineer perfectly and predict how successful it will be. I’m incredibly thankful that SIE trusts us to leverage our past successes to explore brand new creative avenues.”

Sure, just remake and remaster everything first.

Sony already said there's nothing 1st party to announce in 2024. So, given they scrapped whatever their live service game was, even if they announced a new game/project next year, chances are it wouldn't release until 2 years later (if that). That's 2027 until their next release, at the earliest. I'm pretty sure Sony will be talking PS6 by then. That's basically a full generation of just dicking around...but of course I would love to be proven wrong. They need step up and stop resting on their reputation/goodwill
Ok but Sony didn't say there's nothing to announce in 2024, they said they arent expecting any big IPs to release this fiscal year which lasts until March of 2025. I don't see why they couldn't announce something at the rumored showcase (although I'm doubtful of that) will probably end of this year or sometime next year. As mentioned I'm not so sure that whenever ND officially announced their game that it will need 2 years to release. I mean, Neil even mentions in the OP they don't want to announce games as early as they once did due to work life balance.

I'm not saying they 100% will, there's a chance there are snags or something and their games get pushed back. But I'd be pretty shocked if they don't release a game by the end of this gen.

Fake

We can only hope Cuckman show pictures of this new IP just like he did showing TLOUS2 multiplayer pictures.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Theres nothing groundbreaking in that clip at all. Its ellie going through a dark creepy linear path and fighting some bandits here and there. Heck you got her making a ton of noise in the water and breathing and that enemy sitting on crate coudnt even hear her 2 ft away. It's really no different than exploring a creepy building in Fallout 3 with bandits or zombies wandering around. In fact, the Fallout games the enemies are actually given pretty good audio AI, so you really got to be out of sight sneaking, or else they'll notice and bee-line to you.

You're not getting the same type of combat in TLOU 2 just like in Fallout 3. lol

Combat is completely different.

Fallout 3 is dated while games today have trouble competing with TLOU 2 when it comes to realistic combat.

Gambit2483

Ok but Sony didn't say there's nothing to announce in 2024, they said they arent expecting any big IPs to release this fiscal year which lasts until March of 2025. I don't see why they couldn't announce something at the rumored showcase (although I'm doubtful of that) will probably end of this year or sometime next year. As mentioned I'm not so sure that whenever ND officially announced their game that it will need 2 years to release. I mean, Neil even mentions in the OP they don't want to announce games as early as they once did due to work life balance.

I'm not saying they 100% will, there's a chance there are snags or something and their games get pushed back. But I'd be pretty shocked if they don't release a game by the end of this gen.
Agreed, If they do release something before PS6 it will basically be the swan song of PS5...but I just don't see that happening. That said, I hope they can prove me wrong and show again why they are a premiere Sony studio because they haven't done so this gen so far

Strategize

"He says that as long as one can “precisely direct” AI tools, they could be used to create “nuanced dialogues and characters.” Were the beloved ones you and your team created with their hearts, minds, and skills not enough?"

What the writer fails to mention is the cost it took to get there. These are the same people that cry about crunch and 200 million dollar budgets, yet simultaneously hate something like AI that could be used to help with those issues. You can't win with these people, you're damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Last edited:

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member
Instead of hiring a great writer like From Software did for Elden Ring, let's use an autogen tool so even a monkey can "write" a videogame script.

It's shameful that a creative person says stuff like that. Seriously, fuck off.

Last edited:

tmlDan

you've gotta be joking comparing it to fallout 3

Gudji

Sony needs to start showing something I haven't turned my PS5 for almost a year now, no joke.

Hopefully with the new CEOs they start unveilling some new ip projects.

EDIT: I got burned out out of spidey with miles so didn't get spidey 2. Don't kill me ponies.

Last edited:

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
Is it okay if I neither hate nor love Naughty Dog and Druckmann? The 'Uncharted' series was fun, and I liked both 'The Last Of Us' games. None of it changed my life, but they were entertaining enough on a rainy day indoors. People seem to get very fired up about this studio.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You're not getting the same type of combat in TLOU 2 just like in Fallout 3. lol

Combat is completely different.

Fallout 3 is dated while games today have trouble competing with TLOU 2 when it comes to realistic combat.
Thats some realism. Ellie makes noise like an airplane swimming, coming out of the water and breathing heavy a a bandit cant hear it all 2 ft away. And when other bandits get shot, their buddies stand and watch.

Most of the clip is Ellie creeping around dark linear paths too which tons of games do.

What you get in LOU (similar to UBI games like SC enemies) is good production values and dialogue where characters are all talking to each other.

Last edited:
Top Bottom