• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

<<KONAMI: THE FRANCHISES (EVERYTHING ELSE)>> "Favorites" Thread #12 (curated poll)

Well?

• Contra

• Silent Hill

• Bomberman

• Dance Dance Revolution

• Frogger

• Castlevania

• Yu-Gi-Oh!

• Power Pros

• Pro Evolution Soccer/eFootball/Winning 11

• Suikoden

• Zone of the Enders

• Gradius

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tschumi

Heyo, season's greetings :) sorry I've been distracted for half a month, let's go!

... The tale so far....

Voted best Assassin's Creed title: Assassin's Creed 2

Voted best Supergiant Games title: Hades*

Voted best Blizzard title: Diablo 2 + Expansion/Remaster

Voted best Rockstar title: Red Dead Redemption 2

Voted best Naughty Dog title: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Voted best Valve title: Half-Life 2

Voted best Bungie title: Halo: Combat Evolved (vote-off vs Halo 3)

Voted best FromSoftware title: Bloodborne
Voted best Bethesda Softworks title: The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim

Voted best Bioware title: Mass Effect 2

Voted best Konami (MGS) title: Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

Voted best Konami (Everything Else) title: --

Voted best Arkane Studios title: --

Voted best Id Software title: --

Voted best Obsidian title: --
Yes, I intend to make some kind of graphic for this, but probably in a later thread because I'm busy atm.

... Okay, last time out we took on the challenge of picking the best game in the Metal Gear Solid series by Konami (and Kojima), this time around we're going to pick the best of the rest!

images

Konami kinda reek now in many ways, but from a historical standpoint few developers of publishers have given gaming such a smorgasbord of excellent titles, over the decades.

Let's pick a best one.

Notes on the poll: Konami have made tons of games, I simply could not list them all. I've used a search of multiple "best Konami franchises" lists to try and put together a comprehensive list of their better regarded series.

As always, I won't add any new title unless multiple people specifically request it. You cannot change your vote so save it if you wanna vote for some other, exquisitely obscure hipster title, after I've been convinced to put it up.

Also as always you can't change ur vote, u can't see what's getting votes before u vote, and we can see what you voted for :)

DISCLAIMER: With the exception of certain obvious series (often from Konami funnily enough) I didn't really like Japanese games until Persona 4 Golden a few years ago. Don't shit me for missing out on some obscure SHMUP or whatever, just let me know the name and I'll amend the poll of it seems right.

...stay tuned for Arkane...

If you have any suggestions for developers we can vote on, let me hear them!

IF you vote but don't bump the thread with a comment:

<I find your lack of posts disturbing meme>

Last edited:
The best BG2 was tie KoToR on the Bioware poll? Weaksauce.

And how old are you TheCockatrice? Konami may have jumped the shark but in the pre-HD eras it was one of the best 3rd parties by a country mile (and an easy #1 in the NES days).

Tschumi

I see. It's even worse that Konami gets 2 threads dedicated.
I just knew that if i asked people to compare individual mgs titles with silent hill titles etc the poll could never fit every title people would ask for

The best BG2 was tie KoToR on the Bioware poll? Weaksauce.

And how old are you TheCockatrice? Konami may have jumped the shark but in the pre-HD eras it was one of the best 3rd parties by a country mile (and an easy #1 in the NES days).
Totally agree re bg2

Last edited:

33. History does not make it immune to critical reception.

I just knew that if i asked people to compete individual mgs titles with silent hill titles etc the poll could never fit every title people would ask for

Fair.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Their store is one of my favorite places to look at. So many classic franchises. The mousepad I bought from there had terrible quality to it. It made me rethink purchasing everything I came across. I got the Silent Hill mousepad and it looked like a poorly printed image on a generic mousepad. The other stuff I got from there was good.

Konami could release countless collections and I would be happy. Instead they don’t feel like they have a lot of control coming from the top. They messed up Silent Hill, MGS is dormant for reasons we all understand, Castlevania’s greatest influencer is doing his own thing and doing pretty well I would say, and the rest just sorta sit there in limbo waiting to be picked up again. I voted for Silent Hill, otherwise it would have been Castlevania. Silent Hill has just been beaten around the edges over the years.

kunonabi

Castlevania is the most consistent in terms of quality as there are really only a couple of real stinkers. It also has the most entries in my top 100 of any series so it wins out for me even though I love a lot of Konami franchises.

Notabueno

Banned
So many franchise missing...but let's face it there's no poll, it's already consensus that MGS, Silent Hill and Castlevania are Konami's most popular franchises

Y0ssarian

Banned
I voted Silent Hill but should have voted Castlevania on further reflection. I can't change my vote. Silent Hill 2 and 3 were very strong but so were several Castlevania. I think silent hill is more imaginative though

Last edited:
So basically one crappy game negates their legacy of awesome. That's like saying The Simpsons was never good even though the first 8/9 seasons were absolutely legendary.

Try harder.

No, all of their recent games negates their ok history. They've done almost nothing good in the past years.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Silent Hill. Castlevania is routinely the better *game* but the original trilogy by Team Silent stands toe to toe with the Racoon City trilogy of Resident Evil as far as GOAT Survival Horror spanning storylines. The music, the sound design, the symbolism, the environmental storytelling, the batshit puzzles, and just the overall dread of it all, combined with surrealism. It's like a vivid nightmare. I mean, half the series sucks, but the last SH related entry was P.T. so as of now, it ended on a high.

I can't tell if this is a troll or a genuinely stupid string of responses.

Its ok to be in denial. Let me put it in perspective from their recent games from the past 10 years:

efootball, pes, mg survive, castlevania lords of shadow 2, fucking kojima, fucking silent hill franchise, silent hill homecoming, and this is until 2008 so thats like 13 years of nothing. MGS5? well sure, one game that but screwing Kojima denies them that right. So hey if you like eating shit, good for you my dude but no, Konami do not have any good gaming release since the old days. Even a fanboy should be smart enough to realize that.

Tschumi

Its ok to be in denial. Let me put it in perspective from their recent games from the past 10 years:

efootball, pes, mg survive, castlevania lords of shadow 2, fucking kojima, fucking silent hill franchise, silent hill homecoming, and this is until 2008 so thats like 13 years of nothing. MGS5? well sure, one game that but screwing Kojima denies them that right. So hey if you like eating shit, good for you my dude but no, Konami do not have any good gaming release since the old days. Even a fanboy should be smart enough to realize that.
I'd say i agree that Konami haven't offered much for a long time but it doesn't bother my take on their earlier titles. In my op i say they're shit now, or words to the effect, totally.

Don't be daft. None of that negates how GoaT CV: Rondo of Blood, Dracula's Curse, SotN, Aria/Dawn of Sorrow, Gradius Gaiden, Gradius II/V, Life Force, Twinbee/Parodius, Contra, Axelay, Silent Hill 1/2, MGS, Goemon, etc. Plus many solid classic era titles.

1) Acknowledging this doesn't mean having to like their recent substandard stuff.
2) Even so, they still have a better average than most other companies.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
KonamiMan.jpg

Still my favorite developer just for getting me kickstarted on quality Japanese games at an early age. Castlevania, Goemon, Galious, Graduis, Twinbee, Metal Gear on MSX...

TLZ

Banned
Was going to pick Silent Hill, but picked PES instead. This yearly series has been going since the 90s and peaked on the PS2, then things went down hill since the PS360 until they killed it this year. Assholes.

Top Bottom