• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Korean leaker claims Switch 2 is currently known by the pseudonym 'Super Nintendo Play', uses game cards like original Switch...

nani17

are in a big trouble
A cock ring with usb-c.
jiggity GIF

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
Given Nintendo’s history this thing will flop. They’re going to use some terrible name and gimmick and screw up the backwards compatibility and people won’t want to own this like the did with the Wii U after the absurdly successful Wii, and to a less extreme the GameCube after the N64

Dream-Knife

Banned
No but the I/O could do some type of compression with data streaming.
I'm leaning on the tech being in the cartridges(?) somehow hence rumors of no backwards capability via physical media...
That's going to be expensive, but then again we basically had that for the NES-N64.

But I highly doubt it isn't flash memory. The Steam Deck proves you don't need much for modern games.

S0ULZB0URNE

That's going to be expensive, but then again we basically had that for the NES-N64.

But I highly doubt it isn't flash memory. The Steam Deck proves you don't need much for modern games.
Rumors of a $400 and $450 sku is expensive for Nintendo.
I just hope to get one day one!

No but the I/O could do some type of compression with data streaming.
I'm leaning on the tech being in the cartridges(?) somehow hence rumors of no backwards capability via physical media...

The cartridges would have to be bigger unless the chips were to really be that small.

Misread Korean as Konami, haha.

Pimpbaa

No dock?! I don’t take my current switch out of its dock. Probably going to be 3rd party stands for that purpose, but it still sucks. I got a switch because it’s the only way to play new Nintendo games (other than emulators) not because it’s a handheld.

linko9

My "dock" is a tiny usb hub, there's really no need for the bulky piece of plastic if they aren't going to put any hardware in it.

Robb

Gold Member
Not sure about the ‘no dock’ thing. While I get that it sounds like a natural evolution it also sounds very ‘anonymous’. I’d think there’s definitely value for Nintendo in having the system/design shown in the livingroom, not to mention the gimmick of docking it which is kind of playful/iconic in its own way. The current Switch can also clock higher while docked, so if the new one is not connected directly to a power source that option would be lost I assume.

Doesn’t sound very Nintendo to me. We’ll see.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
A wireless hdmi dongle would be a great idea, but if they want to keep costs down then a direct hdmi output is the likely route.

Still, the wireless idea along with the power upgrades would make for more of a "new model" feel.

I could see them ship without the wireless dongle too, but the transmitter built into the switch so less cost to Nintendo out the door for all those who won't play on tv's.

nick776

Given Nintendo’s history this thing will flop. They’re going to use some terrible name and gimmick and screw up the backwards compatibility and people won’t want to own this like the did with the Wii U after the absurdly successful Wii, and to a less extreme the GameCube after the N64
This is worrisome for me as well. Nintendo may very well "Nintendo-it-up" instead of just giving people what we all want--a more powerful switch that does 4k, etc. The rumors about supply chain materials for a "dual screen" last week on top of the old rumor a while back that said the Switch 2 will connect "wirelessly" to the TV kind of all makes sense if the above rumor is true.

blacktout

What has this person leaked in the past? Are they reliable?

There's nothing particularly outlandish about this leak, but the Super Nintendo button layout part makes me wonder if they're just piggybacking off the speculation about the Thousand Year Door/Mario RPG button layouts and throwing in the "no dock" thing.

Last edited:

MAtgS

What has this person leaked in the past? Are they reliable?

There's nothing particularly outlandish about this leak, but the Super Nintendo button layout part makes me wonder if they're just piggybacking off the speculation about the Thousand Year Door/Mario RPG button layouts and throwing in the "no dock" thing.
Apparently a Samsung leaker I heard.

mystech

Apparently this guy has called a few accurate shots in the past. The wording here is pretty vague... All credible rumors have pointed to Nintendo targeting 4K output which means there is "Something" that allows this system to play on TV. I can't imagine Nintendo making people use a wired connection to physically connect the Switch 2 to their TV... Which makes me think there could be a separate Apple TV like "mini console" device that wirelessly communicates with the handheld system allowing games to be played on the TV.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Apparently this guy has called a few accurate shots in the past. The wording here is pretty vague... All credible rumors have pointed to Nintendo targeting 4K output which means there is "Something" that allows this system to play on TV. I can't imagine Nintendo making people use a wired connection to physically connect the Switch 2 to their TV... Which makes me think there could be a separate Apple TV like "mini console" device that wirelessly communicates with the handheld system allowing games to be played on the TV.
I wonder if the leaker means that it's not literally a switch-like dock, but could come with (or maybe they optionally sell) some kind of branded USB-C hub to allow external connectivity, people would definitely want to be able to charge and connect to a TV at the same time.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I don’t know how all these “leaks” are still receiving so much attention. Everything and its polar opposite has been “leaked” at this point.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
This makes sense. If the dock won't really help with more processing power, then it's simply raising the temperature and risk of scratches. Let's just hope they don't copy Sony and try to charge $30 bucks for a small plastic support.

skneogaf

I want 2 separate systems, a home 4k console of the same games that play at 720p or whatever on a handheld.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I want 2 separate systems, a home 4k console of the same games that play at 720p or whatever on a handheld.
Not gonna happen. People who only want a console still bought the Switch. Managing 2 skus with vastly different BOMs is not smart or worth the cost when Nintendo fans will buy it regardless. I bought a Switch in 2017 and maybe played it twice out of the dock, but in that same time frame my 1 year old son is now 7 and loves playing it off the dock.

Kikorin

Same concept and will still use cartridges? After the most successful console ever made by Nintendo and the Wii U experience in changing a successful concept? Wow, how this "leaker" figured out that things?

I've always the impression these are just random guys that try to safe guess and in reality knows absolutely nothing. No dock would be cool tho.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Just make a backwards compatible hybrid exactly the same as the Switch but with 4K and call it Switch 2 or Super Switch and watch the money print, FFS Nintendo just take the W and don’t do something retarded that nobody wants.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots

I want this too, it would be amazing. But alas like the other poster said, I fear not likely.
More risk and more development time, and this seems to be working for them. The risk they run is what happens if Sony or ms launch something similar, it will cost them. If they hit thr market right now with a 15-20tf 4k console and a new portable they could capture part of the console markets and still a lot of the portable market. Just doubt it will happen and no rumors have ever suggested it.

midnightAI

'Super Nintendo Play', that's about the most Japanese name they could have come up with

(It's awful though, sounds like some cheap knock off, just call it Super Switch if they want to play off the SNES name)

Top Bottom