• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Korean leaker claims Switch 2 is currently known by the pseudonym 'Super Nintendo Play', uses game cards like original Switch...

Svejk

I still to this day don't understand Nintendo's marketing for the Switch... When all they do is Snap their fingers in the Directs accompanied with a loud SNAP sound. Why TF wasn't it called the Nintendo Snap??? Feel like I'm taking crazy pills ...

Woopah

I still to this day don't understand Nintendo's marketing for the Switch... When all they do is Snap their fingers in the Directs accompanied with a loud SNAP sound. Why TF wasn't it called the Nintendo Snap??? Feel like I'm taking crazy pills ...
Its the sound made when you attach the joycon.

coffinbirth

3-way Switch
images

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
That person was castrated and put on pikes for the world to see. Fuck U Wii U name maker.
Well, it’s not like someone proposed the name and it was like

barack obama president GIF

Of course the CEO had to approve it and make it final. And well, one way or another, Iwata is effectively no more in a position to repeat that mistake…

drotahorror

Well, it’s not like someone proposed the name and it was like

barack obama president GIF

Of course the CEO had to approve it and make it final. And well, one way or another, Iwata is effectively no more in a position to repeat that mistake…

I actually think the name is fine, Wii U. Us, You? Wut?

It is a decent name for a successor but people didn't see it that way. They had to switch it up for next go around though.

Tams

No way they would call it the switch 2 or switch u or something. would confuse people like wii u did. its needs to be a new brand and have a new identity

The Wii U's name wasn't really the issue, though it did compound other issues.

The biggest was the announcement. I remember the press hands-on and they put the tablet front and centre and quite literally hid the console (to the point that they refused to take them out of the case they were in below the tablet controller).

Tams

I just wish they threw some stronger hardware on this thing.

Then again,if people are happy with paying top price for subpar 30fps then who am I to tell them otherwise?

It will be more powerful than the Switch.

As to compared to the other consoles and PC? Why? You have PlayStation, Xbox, and a plethora of PC options to choose from if you want mostly just PoWAaH.

Let Nintendo be the ones who actually experiment with playing with computers.

neoism

it needs NOTHING BUT 100% switch back compat... also you use the same login as switch
otherwise lol
also it should be at least ps4 level graphics 2k minimum

Given Nintendo’s history this thing will flop. They’re going to use some terrible name and gimmick and screw up the backwards compatibility and people won’t want to own this like the did with the Wii U after the absurdly successful Wii, and to a less extreme the GameCube after the N64
Wii-u had backwards compatibility , it was actually a good machine. Gamecube didn't have bc, how could it, n64 used huge carts. Also n64 was not successful either, as a PS1 guy at the time coming off the snes and genesis, n64 was meh outside of a handful of 1st party games. For an rpg fan it was a joke and is why i never looked at it outside of the zelda games.

Wii-u hit at a bad time, and they didn't do enough to let people know it wasn't just a wii pro. or an accessory. It did it right though, full bc with the wii, motion and traditional controls , hd output and gamepad.

Tams

Wii-u had backwards compatibility , it was actually a good machine. Gamecube didn't have bc, how could it, n64 used huge carts. Also n64 was not successful either, as a PS1 guy at the time coming off the snes and genesis, n64 was meh outside of a handful of 1st party games. For an rpg fan it was a joke and is why i never looked at it outside of the zelda games.

Wii-u hit at a bad time, and they didn't do enough to let people know it wasn't just a wii pro. or an accessory. It did it right though, full bc with the wii, motion and traditional controls , hd output and gamepad.

Still love the Wii U, even though the gamepad has a Fischer-Price feel to it (but for me was great to actually use). And for the time, it wasn't that underpowered for the price.

As I stated earlier, Nintendo severely fucked up the initial PR, so people thought it was just another controller. Even I, as a computer game obsessive at the time thought it was at first.

Still love the Wii U, even though the gamepad has a Fischer-Price feel to it (but for me was great to actually use). And for the time, it wasn't that underpowered for the price.

As I stated earlier, Nintendo severely fucked up the initial PR, so people thought it was just another controller. Even I, as a computer game obsessive at the time thought it was at first.

For the time it came out, it should have been at least half the power of the PS4/XBOne.

tkscz

I don’t know how all these “leaks” are still receiving so much attention. Everything and its polar opposite has been “leaked” at this point.
Several leaks come from people with backgrounds in getting stuff right. These people usually know someone on the inside to get the info from.

Super Play isn't bad, I guess? Not particularly exciting, but neither was Wii though. No one ever seriously thought it would be called Switch 2. That was never on the table.

Last edited:

JohnnyPhats

Have a 4k home unit console that comes with a remote play device like that PlayStation portal thing. Throw in a regular controller. Charge $550 USD.

yurinka

A few thoughts from my side:
  • Both VR and PC handhelds would have to show a massive amount of growth to meaningly affect the console market. There's a fair chance Switch 2 sells more in its first month than the Steam Deck or ROG Ally sell in a year
Yes, make sure Switch 2 will sell more at launch than whatever Steam Deck and ROG sold until now. I thinking on the results at the end of the Switch 2 lifecycle, not at launch.

Regarding VR, I think is perfectly compatible with home and portable consoles. I see it as a complementary thing than competition.

• Its true that the Bethesda aquisiton takes some content away, but if the ABK acqusition means Switch 2 gets COD, then that acquisiton actually helps Nintendo
Well, I can't see CoD fans playing it via wifi on a portable with worse visuals. But yes, CoD will now be on basically all consoles and game subs, also Nintendo.

• I agree that mobile gaming could have an affect, or that people might not feel the need to upgrade, if Nintendo doesn't provide the right software
Regarding the software, in Switch Nintendo rehased a ton of games from previous platforms. They have a lot more to rehash, but I assume that since most appealing games were resurrected for Switch I think they won't rehash them on Switch 2.

Meaning, I'm optimistic with Switch 2's Nintendo catalog because I think they'll focus more on brand new games thaan in rehashing WiiU/3DS/etc games.

• I don't think game subs are going to meaningfully affect hardware sales, but they do give Sony as advantage in terms of profitability.
True, I think they don't affect here with hardware. If something, like the BC catalog what I think it provides is retention for generational transitions: meaning, someone who has a lot of PS4 games and PS+ games may prefer to get a PS5 instead of an Xbox to keep their PS4 and PS+ catalog. Or the opposite.

In that case, many people has Switch as secondary console, being the primary a PS or Xbox.

• Xbox moving their attention away from console means that both PlayStation and Nintendo increase market share, so it won't affect the battle between them too much
Well, I think Xbox competes directly against Sony, and (like Sony) MS doesn't compete that directly against Nintendo. There's the 'high end console' submarket and the 'portable consoles' submarket, which partially overlap being the portables a secondary platform for many high end consoles and PC players.

Meaning, I think Sony is more benefited from MS moving away from consoles, because if a player wants to replace an Xbox I think it' more likely that would get a PS than a Switch, because it's a more similar experience/product.

• We also have to take into account that Nintendo will be stronger than in the PS4 vs. Switch fight, due to noticeably bettrr third party support at launch and their own investments
PS has more 3rd party support than Xbox and Switch combined in both multiplatform and exclusive games. And in 3rd party games sold/revenue generated per year, too.

It happened since forever in previous generations, so I think it won't change with Switch 2. In fact, many AAA games will continue not being able to put their next gen game on Switch 2 in a good enough shape and with good enough sales. And indies thanks to PC portables won't need to port their games to a portable console to have a portable version of their game.

Its a bit difficult to compare since Sony's numbers include digital-only titles and Ninendo's doesn't, but at the end of the day the PS4 and Switch will have broadly similar software sales
(I'd estimate PS4 will end up around 100 million ahead, depending on whether Nintendo does cross-gen for Switch and Switch 2).

PS does have a far far higher number of subscribers though.
We know the yearly total software sales of Sony and Nintendo consoles and the difference is so big in PS4 favor.

As of June 30, 1,088.35 million units of Switch software were sold.

Back in 2020, when Sony stopped reporting the PS4 software sales separatedly and started to merge it with PS5 sales, PS4 software sales had crossed the 1.5B+ games sold record of the PS2. That was 3 years ago, and many big seller games were released for it and continue being released. In fact, Sony reported time after the PS5 release that PS4 was still performing great.

PS5 is generating more money per console, more engagement and more games sold per console launch aligned than PS4 did according to Sony. So if PS5 is on track on selling more hardware (launch aligned) than PS4 and sells more softwre per console, it means it's on track to end selling more total software than PS4.

Meaning, at the end of both PS5 and Switch 2 lifecycles, Switch2 pretty likely would need to more or less double the amount of games sold by Switch 1 to reach PS5 levels. Something that I think won't happen.

I think after their lifetime, even if I'm pretty sure Switch 2 will have a record launch (breaking Sony's records), Switch 2 will end selling less hardware and software than Switch 1 but still perform very well, and I think PS5 will end selling more hardware and software than PS4.

Last edited:

Woopah

Regarding VR, I think is perfectly compatible with home and portable consoles. I see it as a complementary thing than competition.
Agreed.
Well, I can't see CoD fans playing it via wifi on a portable with worse visuals. But yes, CoD will now be on basically all consoles and game subs, also Nintendo.
I don't see COD doing particularly great on Switch 2 either, but it means the ABK acquisition doesn't weaken Nintendo's position. I guess it depends if Spyro/Crash/Tony Hawk stop coming to the platform

Regarding the software, in Switch Nintendo rehased a ton of games from previous platforms. They have a lot more to rehash, but I assume that since most appealing games were resurrected for Switch I think they won't rehash them on Switch 2.

Meaning, I'm optimistic with Switch 2's Nintendo catalog because I think they'll focus more on brand new games thaan in rehashing WiiU/3DS/etc games.
I think similar to Switch, we'll see around 10- 20% of Switch 2's first party lineup be older titles. But give the different situation they are in now, it'll be more on the Advance Wars Reboot Camp / SMRPG remake level and less the Pikmin 3 deluxe level. Especially with the rising dev times/costs, they'll need older games to continule publishing 10+ games each year.
True, I think they don't affect here with hardware. If something, like the BC catalog what I think it provides is retention for generational transitions: meaning, someone who has a lot of PS4 games and PS+ games may prefer to get a PS5 instead of an Xbox to keep their PS4 and PS+ catalog. Or the opposite.

In that case, many people has Switch as secondary console, being the primary a PS or Xbox.

We know there is some crossover, but not what % use PS5 as the primary console and what % use the Switch as the primary console.
Well, I think Xbox competes directly against Sony, and (like Sony) MS doesn't compete that directly against Nintendo. There's the 'high end console' submarket and the 'portable consoles' submarket, which partially overlap being the portables a secondary platform for many high end consoles and PC players.

Meaning, I think Sony is more benefited from MS moving away from consoles, because if a player wants to replace an Xbox I think it' more likely that would get a PS than a Switch, because it's a more similar experience/product.
That's a fair point.
PS has more 3rd party support than Xbox and Switch combined in both multiplatform and exclusive games. And in 3rd party games sold/revenue generated per year, too.

It happened since forever in previous generations, so I think it won't change with Switch 2. In fact, many AAA games will continue not being able to put their next gen game on Switch 2 in a good enough shape and with good enough sales. And indies thanks to PC portables won't need to port their games to a portable console to have a portable version of their game.

PS5 will have better third party support for sure, but I was saying that Switch 2 will be much stronger support than Switch 1 (especially at launch).

As an aside, I can't see any indies deciding that they don't want to makey money from Switch 2, just because portable PCs exist

We know the yearly total software sales of Sony and Nintendo consoles and the difference is so big in PS4 favor.

As of June 30, 1,088.35 million units of Switch software were sold.

Back in 2020, when Sony stopped reporting the PS4 software sales separatedly and started to merge it with PS5 sales, PS4 software sales had crossed the 1.5B+ games sold record of the PS2. That was 3 years ago, and many big seller games were released for it and continue being released. In fact, Sony reported time after the PS5 release that PS4 was still performing great.

PS5 is generating more money per console, more engagement and more games sold per console launch aligned than PS4 did according to Sony. So if PS5 is on track on selling more hardware (launch aligned) than PS4 and sells more softwre per console, it means it's on track to end selling more total software than PS4.

Meaning, at the end of both PS5 and Switch 2 lifecycles, Switch2 pretty likely would need to more or less double the amount of games sold by Switch 1 to reach PS5 levels. Something that I think won't happen.

I think after their lifetime, even if I'm pretty sure Switch 2 will have a record launch (breaking Sony's records), Switch 2 will end selling less hardware and software than Switch 1 but still perform very well, and I think PS5 will end selling more hardware and software than PS4.

After 7 years PS4 was at 1.5 billion+ and after 7 years Switch will be at 1.2 billion+. The PS4 figure includes digital-only games, and the Switch figure does not. So once you add in those 7 years of digital-only games for Switch, there's a good chance that Switch and PS4 will be broadly equal.

So to keep up with PS5, Nintendo will have to see the same level of growth to Switch 2 as Sony saw in their transition.

Shut0wen

No dock, man i hope that aint true

Kinda think its bullshit, nintendo love the couch coop and cant see them going back to the single handheld market again

Last edited:

yurinka

I don't see COD doing particularly great on Switch 2 either, but it means the ABK acquisition doesn't weaken Nintendo's position.
I think the ABK acquisition won't affect Switch 2 or Nintendo, because ABK games never have been a thing for Nintendo.

I guess it depends if Spyro/Crash/Tony Hawk stop coming to the platform
Their devs are busy working on CoD, I wouldn't expect to see them soon.

We know there is some crossover, but not what % use PS5 as the primary console and what % use the Switch as the primary console.
We know -at least in PS4, last time I saw it- that the % of PS users who have Switch is smaller than the % of the Switch users that has a PS. Same happened with PC or Xbox.

We also know that the amount of games sold per console on PS4 and PS5 is way higher than Switch.

We also know that most game sales on Switch (unlike in the other consoles, PC or mobile) are exclusives, mostly 1st party games.

Crossing all this data leads to think that in case of PS5+Switch users, they are mainly PS users who have Switch as secondary console to play there mostly Switch exclusives (would be the case of XB, PC users too), while they buy most of their games including multiplatform on PS.

But this is a rough average estimate, obviously there are always all kind of exceptions.

PS5 will have better third party support for sure, but I was saying that Switch 2 will be much stronger support than Switch 1 (especially at launch).
As an aside, I can't see any indies deciding that they don't want to makey money from Switch 2, just because portable PCs exist

I think Nintendo may have -in addition to their traditional 3rd party supporters- a few big 3rd party games paid as an example they paid for WiiU games like Batman Arkham or Watchdogs, and after that these publishers did drop support for big games.

But looking at the generation as a whole, I think that as usual most important big 3rd parties will see that their big PS5 and PS6 games won't be able to run on Switch 2 in decent conditions, as usual in Nintendo devices, so their support as usual in most cases will be minimal outside cases where Nintendo pays to get their Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest, etc.

I think many indies will continue supporting it in the first half of the generation, specially for being Nintendo fans, but specially in the second I think many will see Steamdeck or mobile more attractive to have portable versions of their games.

The main difference being that as of now PC portables are mostly a relatively new and expensive thing, so a very small niche, but in a few years I think we'll see brands releasing devices cheaper than Switch 2 so its popularity I think will grow.

After 7 years PS4 was at 1.5 billion+ and after 7 years Switch will be at 1.2 billion+.
Seems a realistic and very doable estimate for Switch considering it was 1.088B at the end of June.

Regarding PS4, 1.563B is what it sold FY2015 to FY2020. It doesn't include FY2013 and FY2014 because Sony didn't report them. So the >1.5B in 7 years of PS4 pretty likely is 1.7B or even maybe around 1.8B.

And that was until FY2020, Sony said PS4 was doing record numbers after PS5 launch in the software/engagement side (I assume due to lockdowns). So now, 3 years later PS4 should be above 2B

79015_34_ps4-is-the-king-of-software-with-1-5-billion-games-sold.png

The PS4 figure includes digital-only games, and the Switch figure does not. So once you add in those 7 years of digital-only games for Switch, there's a good chance that Switch and PS4 will be broadly equal. No, according to Nintendo the digital
No, Nintendo says this number is The Switch "dedicated games units" and that
"The numbers shown are worldwide consolidated sales in units life-to-date":
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/hard_soft/index.html

So they include digital-only games because they are games too.

So to keep up with PS5, Nintendo will have to see the same level of growth to Switch 2 as Sony saw in their transition.
No, because there were way more games sold for PS4 than for Switch and PS5 is selling even more games per console than PS4.

Woopah

I think the ABK acquisition won't affect Switch 2 or Nintendo, because ABK games never have been a thing for Nintendo.
Agreed. I'm sure Spyro, Crash and Overwatch did well on Switch, but nothing earth shattering.
Their devs are busy working on CoD, I wouldn't expect to see them soon.
Also agreed
We know -at least in PS4, last time I saw it- that the % of PS users who have Switch is smaller than the % of the Switch users that has a PS. Same happened with PC or Xbox.

We also know that the amount of games sold per console on PS4 and PS5 is way higher than Switch.

We also know that most game sales on Switch (unlike in the other consoles, PC or mobile) are exclusives, mostly 1st party games.

Crossing all this data leads to think that in case of PS5+Switch users, they are mainly PS users who have Switch as secondary console to play there mostly Switch exclusives (would be the case of XB, PC users too), while they buy most of their games including multiplatform on PS.

But this is a rough average estimate, obviously there are always all kind of exceptions.
I just don'ts feel like we have enough information globally to say either way. Some people will mainly use PS4 and get a Switch for the Nintendo games. While others will mainly use the Switch and get a PS4 for the big AAA games. Throw in people who play on PC too and it gets even more messy.
I think Nintendo may have -in addition to their traditional 3rd party supporters- a few big 3rd party games paid as an example they paid for WiiU games like Batman Arkham or Watchdogs, and after that these publishers did drop support for big games.

But looking at the generation as a whole, I think that as usual most important big 3rd parties will see that their big PS5 and PS6 games won't be able to run on Switch 2 in decent conditions, as usual in Nintendo devices, so their support as usual in most cases will be minimal outside cases where Nintendo pays to get their Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest, etc.
With the hardware in Switch 2 and games getting more scaleable, it will be very very different situation from Wii U (right now Switch is already much much better than Wii U or Switch's first year was). Tom Henderson recently said "We'll see 'Launching on Xbox Series X|S, PlayStation 5, Nintendo Switch 2, and PC' a heck of a lot in 12-18 months" and I trust him on these sorts of things.
https://twitter.com/_Tom_Henderson_/status/1708147090272972856?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1708147090272972856|twgr^28f8c3e3c9d466fb3e9a41a7de88bee8f60453b4|twcon^s1_&ref_url=https://www.xfire.com/tom-henderson-hyped-performance-nintendo-switch-2/
I think many indies will continue supporting it in the first half of the generation, specially for being Nintendo fans, but specially in the second I think many will see Steamdeck or mobile more attractive to have portable versions of their games.

The main difference being that as of now PC portables are mostly a relatively new and expensive thing, so a very small niche, but in a few years I think we'll see brands releasing devices cheaper than Switch 2 so its popularity I think will grow.
Developers putting more focus on portable PCS I get, but why would that stop them also putting the games on Switch 2? Its not like indies have to choose between PC, Xbox, Switch or PS5 to have an "at home" version of the game. They put the titles on all of them.
Seems a realistic and very doable estimate for Switch considering it was 1.088B at the end of June.

Regarding PS4, 1.563B is what it sold FY2015 to FY2020. It doesn't include FY2013 and FY2014 because Sony didn't report them. So the >1.5B in 7 years of PS4 pretty likely is 1.7B or even maybe around 1.8B.

And that was until FY2020, Sony said PS4 was doing record numbers after PS5 launch in the software/engagement side (I assume due to lockdowns). So now, 3 years later PS4 should be above 2B

79015_34_ps4-is-the-king-of-software-with-1-5-billion-games-sold.png

No, Nintendo says this number is The Switch "dedicated games units" and that
"The numbers shown are worldwide consolidated sales in units life-to-date":
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/hard_soft/index.html

So they include digital-only games because they are games too.

No, because there were way more games sold for PS4 than for Switch and PS5 is selling even more games per console than PS4.

In Nintendo's financial reports it states - "Software sales units include both packaged and downloadable versions of software, and do not include download-only software or add-on content".

Nintendo splits the eshop charts, so we can see what games they consider "download exclusives". I just went and checked it for the last 2 weeks, and 8 of the top 30 best selling games were download only. So they are a fair chunk of software sales on the platform.

To give a big recent example, Suika Game is a Japanese Switch title that went viral and sold an additional 1 million copies in 10 days last month (its now at 3 million+ overall). But those 3 million+ unit sales will not be included in Nintendo's reported figures.

As I said I still think if you compared the first 7.5 years + of PS4 to Switch then PS4 will be ahead (could be something like 1.7 billion to 1.6 billion). But they'll be broadly comparable.

Last edited:
Top Bottom