• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Korean leaker claims Switch 2 is currently known by the pseudonym 'Super Nintendo Play', uses game cards like original Switch...

No way they would call it the switch 2 or switch u or something. would confuse people like wii u did. its needs to be a new brand and have a new identity

Robb

Gold Member
No way they would call it the switch 2 or switch u or something. would confuse people like wii u did. its needs to be a new brand and have a new identity
Not sure about that. WiiU is an outlier and suffered from more than just naming alone.

More often than not keeping the brand name has worked out for them (NES>SNES, GameBoy>GameBoy Color>GameBoy Advanced, DS>3DS).

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Wii U was an outlier.

Calling it the Switch 2, Super Switch or Switch somthing would work alot better than Wii to Wii U, because the Wii U seemed like it was an accessory for the Wii.

If a Switch 2 console comes out, its unlikely to confuse people the way the Wii U did.

Great name for old Nintendo fans like me...I love it, but I'm not sure it's gonna work with the new generations. The Super Nintendo/Famicom color scheme was the best in gaming history so they cant' go wrong with it in my opinion. No dock... yeah shure, by default. Just like the new PS5, Nintendo is gonna make it a separate purchase to keep costs down. Phsycal media again? We all win!

I did not care at all about the actual Switch, but the new one seems to be something really cool!

Last edited:

Stafford

Whatever they go with, I just want it to give a good picture on my TV. The no dock thing is odd, but we'll see. Could be utter bullshit too.

Given Nintendo’s history this thing will flop. They’re going to use some terrible name and gimmick and screw up the backwards compatibility and people won’t want to own this like the did with the Wii U after the absurdly successful Wii, and to a less extreme the GameCube after the N64
Their home business was always hit and miss, but they never flopped with a portable machine

Stafford

Would this wireless connection be similar to casting from your phone or tablet to TV? Because that's not great at all.

Robb

Gold Member
Would this wireless connection be similar to casting from your phone or tablet to TV? Because that's not great at all.
Who knows.

When I read it I was personally thinking more of something like the WiiU GamePad, which actually worked great and was extremely quick and responsive. If they’re going this route I’d hope they just put that same tech in a dongle you keep hooked to your TV.

Neofire

Switch hits 160m and then Nintendo unleashes the Super Nintendo Play.

Street Fighter GIF
160M? 🤣

How much added latency would a wireless video signal potentionally add? Even the best wireless controllers add at least 4ms. Not trying to add even more wireless lag.

if the rumoured front facing camera is anything to go by I would guess is Nintendo would want it unimpeded I.e. pointed at the player while plugged into a tv. I do find it hard to believe there would be no dock as no one wants to have to plug in an HDMI to the console every time they want to plug it into their tvs.

Melon Husk

Using the handheld Wii U style + wireless receiver for TV ( proprietary of course, for video streaming and extra controllers) would be nice: if you really wanted a charging dock that would be an accessory. Easy way to get the dual-screen gimmick back.

Last edited:

00_Zer0

All I know is Nintendo wouldn't be stupid enough to give up the hybrid design that was made popular by the Switch. So it will be there, but in what form who knows? Maybe to save on costs Nintendo won't include a dock with the new console? Maybe they will create a new one for sale alongside the Switch 2 that has all the extra bells and whistles like extra usb connections and a ethernet connection, but it won't be required to connect to the TV? As others have suggested maybe it will connect wirelessly to your TV? If it's not wireless it could be that the new system has a basic stand engineered to fit the Switch 2 to sit on? If that's the case maybe the Switch 2 comes with USB-C to an HDMI cable and you can route it out the back of the stand? This way you the Switch 2 would have a direct connection between it and the TV. This would save on costs to get the Switch 2 out at a price consumers are more willing to swallow.

Maybe to save on costs Nintendo won't include a dock with the new console? Maybe they will create a new one for sale alongside the Switch 2 that has all the extra bells and whistles like extra usb connections and a ethernet connection, but it won't be required to connect to the TV?
Also possible. We saw that with PS where Sony decided to sell a stand independently. Would not be surprised if they decided to sell the dock independently.

Last edited:

Stafford

Who knows.

When I read it I was personally thinking more of something like the WiiU GamePad, which actually worked great and was extremely quick and responsive. If they’re going this route I’d hope they just put that same tech in a dongle you keep hooked to your TV.

OK that sounds fine to me. I just want this thing to give me a decent enough picture on my 65 inch Sony A95K. And when it comes to games like Mario Wonder Oddysey and a few others, it's fine, but once we get to big open world titles like Zelda it doesn't look so great anymore. Those games truly deserve much better hardware.

Robb

Gold Member
OK that sounds fine to me. I just want this thing to give me a decent enough picture on my 65 inch Sony A95K. And when it comes to games like Mario Wonder Oddysey and a few others, it's fine, but once we get to big open world titles like Zelda it doesn't look so great anymore. Those games truly deserve much better hardware.
Agreed, for major titles like Zelda the Switch started showing its age years ago. I love the games but you’re basically free-climbing on textures that look like pixelated mud.

yurinka

At first I though you said "Korean Leader" so I was picturing Lil Kim in shades talking to a reporter.
Kim Jong Un Friend GIF

How to win the next generation:

1. Name it Switch 2
2. Make it backwards compatible
3. ????????
4. Profit
I agree that with these 4 points they'll profit and be highly successful.

But I think Switch 2 won't be as successful as PS5 (or Switch 1) due to different reasons:
  • I think that during the Switch 2 lifecycle PC handhelds will highly increase their market and will offer portable devices with similar pricing, more powerful hardware and the huge PC + emulators catalog, so won't be the only/best way to play portable indies
  • I think that during the Switch 2 lifecycle consolidation will continue, so Nintendo may lose important former 3rd party partners because of Sony, MS, etc acquisitions
  • I think as part of that consolidation, Sony and MS will get stronger and stronger with acquisitions and hirings than they were.
  • I think that during the Switch 2 lifecycle game subs will become more important than now, so Nintendo may suffer from not having their own PS+/GP
  • I think that during the Switch 2 lifecycle, AAA gaming on mobile, tablets and tv will be more common than now thanks to improvements on cloud gaming and also mobile hardware getting closer to consoles as we saw with the recent iPhones starting to get the first console AAA games
  • VR/XR keeps being a relatively small market but keeps growing with exponential growth, meaning that during the Switch 2 lifecycle will end becoming an huge market
  • If Switch 2 as concept is basically the same than Switch 1 but more powerful and BC (which I think is their best option), many people won't need to update or may have the 'Wii U issue" where some casual users won't get Switch 2 it's a next gen device but instead will understand it's only another Switch 1 SKU.
  • MS will continue shifting away their focus from console hardware to game subs, mobile and PC and PS5 will continue increasing their marketshare against MS, so PS5 will be stronger than PS4 was as competitor for Nintendo
Combining all this points, I think Sony will be way stronger in the Switch 2 vs PS5 fight compared to the Switch 1 vs PS4 fight.

Last edited:

Tams

Nintendo Switch DS. Switch DS for short. Or SDS (NSDS) as some will acronymise it.

Calling it.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I wish we'd get a Wii 2 that unlike the WiiU upgrades and elevates everything that system stood for but I guess that's not happening. The closest to that is the VR consoles like Meta Quest, but it's taking ages for the big companies to jump in VR and bring us serious and equally big games that can rival the likes of Red Steel 2 and Metroid Prime 3 in premise and elevate them beyond what they could be on the original Wii. Plus Nintendo isn't going to jump in as a third party to bring their own impeccable design and it probably won't be a VR console so we have to wait another gen for that.

Famipan

I can read hangul but understand only 10% but the text says ”Play Super Famicom”. Doesn’t sound much better than Super Nintendo Play or Play Super Nintendo though.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
As long as Miyamoto isn't developing a second controller with a screen on it, they'll be fine.

The goat is making movies now. I doubt he even does much more than monthly checks on games.

Last edited:

BootsLoader

Banned
Wii U was an outlier.

Calling it the Switch 2, Super Switch or Switch somthing would work alot better than Wii to Wii U, because the Wii U seemed like it was an accessory for the Wii.

If a Switch 2 console comes out, its unlikely to confuse people the way the Wii U did.
SwitchStation 2

Last edited:

Trunx81

Super Ultra Switch U Too

Remember the rumors for the first Switch. The “leaked” concept art was ridiculous.

And good luck with latency if it connects wireless.

yurinka

Nintendo is the gaming industry in Japan. It'll take a colossal fuck up to change that.
Japan is only a small portion of the global gaming market, doesn't matter if Nintendo is more popular there, or if Xbox is very popular in Mexico.

And well, as happens in the rest of the world, and even more in the case of Japan, the biggest gaming market of Japan in both players and revenue is mobile, not consoles.

Regarding consoles Sony sells way more games for their consoles (1st and 3rd party combined) than Nintendo worldwide every year and also have way more game subs subscribers, so Sony also makes way more money worldwide every year because the main business for console makers is to sell (1st+3rd party) games for their consoles, not hardware. Even if obviously to sell hardware it's very important because it's needed to sell games for it.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Sounds really fucking dumb. But I thought Wii was a stupid name at first, and I ended up embracing it. So I am not at liberty to judge.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
It could t be that they are going to go with the pillars strategy again is it? What if it’s simply a handheld with no tv out like the switch light. Than they offer you a Pro in 2 years with oled and or a home console version. Making you buy 2/3 variants to get a home and portable solution. It would be stupid but they might believe this increase hardware sales for them while reducing costs for the device since they are removing things.

But they need to just improve the switch and stick with this formula.

Also they me see all the competition now for a handheld and know they won’t match up and are going for something new and could ruin it all!

Woopah

Kim Jong Un Friend GIF

I agree that with these 4 points they'll profit and be highly successful.

But I think Switch 2 won't be as successful as PS5 (or Switch 1) due to different reasons:
  • I think that during the Switch 2 lifecycle PC handhelds will highly increase their market and will offer portable devices with similar pricing, more powerful hardware and the huge PC + emulators catalog, so won't be the only/best way to play portable indies
  • I think that during the Switch 2 lifecycle consolidation will continue, so Nintendo may lose important former 3rd party partners because of Sony, MS, etc acquisitions
  • I think as part of that consolidation, Sony and MS will get stronger and stronger with acquisitions and hirings than they were.
  • I think that during the Switch 2 lifecycle game subs will become more important than now, so Nintendo may suffer from not having their own PS+/GP
  • I think that during the Switch 2 lifecycle, AAA gaming on mobile, tablets and tv will be more common than now thanks to improvements on cloud gaming and also mobile hardware getting closer to consoles as we saw with the recent iPhones starting to get the first console AAA games
  • VR/XR keeps being a relatively small market but keeps growing with exponential growth, meaning that during the Switch 2 lifecycle will end becoming an huge market
  • If Switch 2 as concept is basically the same than Switch 1 but more powerful and BC (which I think is their best option), many people won't need to update or may have the 'Wii U issue" where some casual users won't get Switch 2 it's a next gen device but instead will understand it's only another Switch 1 SKU.
  • MS will continue shifting away their focus from console hardware to game subs, mobile and PC and PS5 will continue increasing their marketshare against MS, so PS5 will be stronger than PS4 was as competitor for Nintendo
Combining all this points, I think Sony will be way stronger in the Switch 2 vs PS5 fight compared to the Switch 1 vs PS4 fight.
A few thoughts from my side:
  • Both VR and PC handhelds would have to show a massive amount of growth to meaningly affect the console market. There's a fair chance Switch 2 sells more in its first month than the Steam Deck or ROG Ally sell in a year
  • Its true that the Bethesda aquisiton takes some content away, but if the ABK acqusition means Switch 2 gets COD, then that acquisiton actually helps Nintendo
  • I agree that mobile gaming could have an affect, or that people might not feel the need to upgrade, if Nintendo doesn't provide the right software
  • I don't think game subs are going to meaningfully affect hardware sales, but they do give Sony as advantage in terms of profitability.
  • Xbox moving their attention away from console means that both PlayStation and Nintendo increase market share, so it won't affect the battle between them too much
  • We also have to take into account that Nintendo will be stronger than in the PS4 vs. Switch fight, due to noticeably bettrr third party support at launch and their own investments

Japan is only a small portion of the global gaming market, doesn't matter if Nintendo is more popular there, or if Xbox is very popular in Mexico.

And well, as happens in the rest of the world, and even more in the case of Japan, the biggest gaming market of Japan in both players and revenue is mobile, not consoles.

Regarding consoles Sony sells way more games for their consoles (1st and 3rd party combined) than Nintendo worldwide every year and also have way more game subs subscribers, so Sony also makes way more money worldwide every year because the main business for console makers is to sell (1st+3rd party) games for their consoles, not hardware. Even if obviously to sell hardware it's very important because it's needed to sell games for it.
Its a bit difficult to compare since Sony's numbers include digital-only titles and Ninendo's doesn't, but at the end of the day the PS4 and Switch will have broadly similar software sales (I'd estimate PS4 will end up around 100 million ahead, depending on whether Nintendo does cross-gen for Switch and Switch 2).

PS does have a far far higher number of subscribers though.

Last edited:
Bunk, for sure.

💯 Nintendo is not going to start the game of a new console with the name of a previous console.

It’ll either be a brand new name with no tie to any previous hardware, or it’ll be branded as a clear successor to Switch. Like Switch Advance or Super Switch or something like that.

Last edited:
I just wish they threw some stronger hardware on this thing.

Then again,if people are happy with paying top price for subpar 30fps then who am I to tell them otherwise?

Top Bottom