• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Attacks Major Outlets For Not Previewing FarCry 6 to Their 'Standard'

ManaByte

What I’ve heard much less about, if anything at all, is what Far Cry 6 does to prevent itself from feeling like another gory vacation to an exoticized country created by Canadian studios under the umbrella of a French company. Maybe that’s by design. Narrative payoffs are an easy thing to hide from preview demos under the auspices of not spoiling anything. Maybe it’s because at its core, Far Cry 6 remains fundamentally a game about finding cool and chaotic new ways to blow shit up. These underlying tensions should be at the heart of deciding what Far Cry 6 might be and whether it will be worth engaging with. But somehow, in the year of our lord 2021, such concerns are still mostly relegated to the written equivalent of a grimace emoji buried a few paragraphs from the end.

Imtjnotu

Oh The Drama GIF by MOODMAN

Orpheum

The funniest thing is that he complains that he wasn't invited to the hands on event due to input lag and him not being based in the US....

However SkillUp was participating and afaik he is based in australia xD he even mentioned the input lag in his preview video.

Guess they didn't want this dude from kotaku around lol and he's salty about it

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
The game did look like shit from that leaked preview. Jesus this is after multiple delays... how many delays would they need to make something good here?

Derktron

Banned
How are they still in buiness? Even that cuck which I can't stand who use to run that website left the site. Surly means that the site is going through some tough times.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Is this true? If so it'll explain why they created their article.
Not sure how out of date this Kotaku article is, but it was 2015. The Bethesda ban came from them promoting Fallout 4 leaks. Not sure what the UBI one is from.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

FrozenFlame

Ok, perhaps it's because I'm really tired, but what is the issue being raised in the article? Is it about the story or something?

gypsygib

All I have to say at the moment is that fundamentally, the fun of gaming is based on fulfilling impossible fantasies that are often inherently wrong.

"in an island nation in the Caribbean where you apparently heal yourself by smoking a cigar" would 100 percent be a fantasy...and as been one since the days of Solid Snake and MGS. Why is that a criticism?

Gaming is completely ridiculous and has always been kinda "wrong". Right? That's the beauty, it's f'ing ridiculous. Always has been. Thats why when it was gaining popularity it had so many critics from parents to the government. Now the critics come from gaming media itself. Gaming is not morally good. Never was. Doesn't have to be. So much of it is about killing, almost all of it is fundamentally about killing, even Mario was about literally crushing adversaries to reach an objective. Why does anyone GAF whether it promotes the betterment of society. Surprise mFrs, it doesn't. And so long as it isn't actively promoting moral deterioration, who cares what a game contributes to humanity's collective ethos. Games are already fundamentally compromised from contributing anything to the betterment of society but frivolous good times.

Last edited:

Mossybrew

Ok, perhaps it's because I'm really tired, but what is the issue being raised in the article? Is it about the story or something?

Specifically, that other outlets covering this preview aren't virtue signaling enough, about a story that is potentially problematic in a number of woke ways. An intensely ridiculous basis for an article on a vidjagame, but this is the world we now live in.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
Well, when I guess when you've run out of bullshit to peddle, and you got yourself banned from press events for being actively quite bad at your job, I guess the only thing left to do is attack your fellow " game journalists".

I guess the current Editor in Chief's mission statement forgot to mention the part where they'll use their "platform"" to actively attack anyone and everyone if they don't get to ride the bus.

Top Bottom