• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: The Cost Of Being A Woman Who Covers Video Games

Now that it’s 2020, I keep thinking about how it felt to be a woman writing about gender in video games back in 2010.

Ten years ago, the gender imbalance in the video game industry was not seen as a problem to be solved so much as a mundane and largely unquestioned reality. It wasn’t uncommon for notable women who worked in the video game industry to be fetishized, harassed, or both. In 2007, game designer Kathy Sierra gave up her career and left public life after being harassed and threatened online; at the time, the incident was considered somewhat unusual but wasn’t clocked as a portent of what Sierra described in a 2014 Wired editorial as “the slow, steady increase in both frequency and horror of online harassment” in the years to follow. Most of the popular games of the day weren’t made by women, weren’t about wom..............
e1a.jpg

Dory16

Banned
People realise there is "justice" in SJW? I mean when did justice become the most existential threat to gaming or to the world as we know it? A woman says how she feels. You don't have to show any empathy (God forbid). But to perpetuate the very online toxicity that she deplores in her testimony as a response is juvenile. Mental health issues are on the rise like never before and kill women AND men. It's sad to see people clinging to a world where anything that isn't centered around dudebros and their most cave time instincts is immediately attacked. You must have mothers (although nobody can tell) and some of you sisters. Think about them every now and then when dealing with the other gender. Thanks.

Naw, SJW culture is infecting Japan too. It’s cancer and unfortunately spreads worldwide.
Unfortunately. I really miss the Old World. Now, objectivity has been traded in for subjectivity, subjective preferences/ experiences are being treated as empirical and scientific fact. Reddit has become the sole arbiter of whether you are good or bad, people seek online strangers to approver of their conduct.

I mean, now that the world has abandoned religion, where do our values come from? TV commercials? Tweets? Whatever the algorithms decide should be on front page of youtube/ fb feed?

So
People realise there is "justice" in SJW? I mean when did justice become the most existential threat to gaming or to the world as we know it? A woman says how she feels. You don't have to show any empathy (God forbid). But to perpetuate the very online toxicity that she deplores in her testimony as a response is juvenile. Mental health issues are on the rise like never before and kill women AND men. It's sad to see people clinging to a world where anything that isn't centered around dudebros and their most cave time instincts is immediately attacked. You must have mothers (although nobody can tell) and some of you sisters. Think about them every now and then when dealing with the other gender. Thanks.
just because there is 'justice' in SJW, this means SJWs are actually just? No. For them justice is whatever they think it is even though it is the most unjust thing in the world. Just because there is 'islamic' in ISIS, does not mean it is Islamic. And we love our mothers and the women of our families, we are forever indebted to them for nurturing us and bringing us up. SJWs have done the most harm to women. What women actually want/ desire/ think is the best for them differs vastly from what SJWs peddle.

Imagine thinking this
wnRCG5A.png

Last edited:

ExpandKong

Banned

I have a mom and seven sisters and none of them beat down my game room door to tell me I’m a fucking asshole because Ivy in Soul Calibur 6 is fighting in a metal thong.

mcjmetroid

When I see articles like this (And by the way I'm not reading it but I think I can guess what it's about)
I think to myself that these people aren't living in the real world.

These people have went straight from college where everyone was validating their opinions for 4 years or more straight to a workplace environment where things aren't as sunshine and rainbows. They're having trouble adjusting to the real working world. So they want to cry and whine about it but nobody will listen unless they're
A) A minority B) A woman C) Gay or D) Trans

My big response to this is: YAWN and
1227471.gif

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Maybe, just maybe mentally unstable people shouldn’t be trying to hand out advice?

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
People realise there is "justice" in SJW?....
SJW has always been stupid name, it's more like self-entitled warriors or self-righteous fools (reading in DC Douglas voice).

But with that said, being man from Europe, my experience might be widly different. I feel like most of these new-age movement is coming from Anglo-Saxon regions. And if there is worse living than post-communistic state in Central Europe, I don't know what to say. I think maybe people has it way too good and they inventing their own stupid shit and since this ega brought a lot of lonely arm-chair loosers, here we are. These people does not live in time when it was tough, when it was something to fight for. Yet they act, like they are in middle ages. Besides I am part of that group, but I was probably raised normally. Or something...

zenspider

Unfortunately. I really miss the Old World. Now, objectivity has been traded in for subjectivity, subjective preferences/ experiences are being treated as empirical and scientific fact. Reddit has become the sole arbiter of whether you are good or bad, people seek online strangers to approver of their conduct.

I mean, now that the world has abandoned religion, where do our values come from? TV commercials? Tweets? Whatever the algorithms decide should be on front page of youtube/ fb feed?

We could argue that the (Western) world hasn’t abandoned religion at all, but continues to seek to fill a “dogma shaped hole”.
Your latter point I think is a very cynical one, but absolutely crucial in a religious context.

Let me try something out: as society and interactions have become so relentlessly, oppressively literal, I think we’ve lost the ability to have a skeptical religiousness, i.e. a “software believer/hardware skeptic”. You used to be able to ‘believe’ without believing, allowing the religion to function while maintaining a private identity, insulated from it.

When we all watched the same broadcast news, read the same one or two newspapers, and the whole of a daily news cycle was digestible, you could know the ‘truth’ without believing it.

Now, you must ‘believe’ everything you believe. But how do we know what’s true enough to believe? This, is where the Algorithm really takes a nefarious shape.

We haven’t abandoned religion so much as we’ve adopted the rigors of anti-religion (the scientific method) in the only place it doesn’t belong: our thoughts. We’ve lost our ability to participate in religion while maintaining a healthy skepticism for it.
This makes us vulnerable to what I call “the wolf in wolf’s clothing”: we can only parse one layer of meaning. Things cannot be false on their face and true on a deeper layer (i.e. religious tenets) and things cannot be true on their face and false on a deeper layer (i.e. Algorithm mediated facts).

Last edited:

M1chl

Half-joking: is being able to write articles like this and be taken seriously it’s own kind of privilege?

Must be nice...
If that privilege is given to you by social retards, than, I am not so sure if that's something to envy.

crEFX8q.png

That reminds me of local female politicians that complained about.'mysoginistic' on-line harassment... Then some female reporter read a couple of tweets on the radio in a very emotional voice, that was something to the effect of:
"your work is useless, people shouldn't be voting for you '

I mean given the almost crying voice that was reading the messages, you would have expected serious threats of violence, attacks on her femininity and security... That was all very tame, just not very nice. Obviously I prefer it when people are nice to me and they appreciate my work too, but it's not all sunshine and rainbow, in fact these tweets that were read aloud kind of made me feel good about being human.

Aidah

My sister would make fun of this too though.

M1chl

I am proud to know this man personally. Aside from another hero, Václav Blin from Amanita Design, who was my high-school teacher. I don't want to post this picture, since I got nearly perma banned on "the other site" for that.

Shit like this makes me proud of my country, not because of accomplishments, but because of mentality we have.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The number one way to get SJW bullshit to go away is to stop giving them attention. Unfortunately GAF can't help themselves.

SJWs aren't the real problem, they're a symptom of the problem.

The problem is that the incentives for the media/publications are all based on click views and not quality. SJW material gives a lot of clicks and until that business model is fixed this will continue.

Dory16

Banned
So

just because there is 'justice' in SJW, this means SJWs are actually just? No. For them justice is whatever they think it is even though it is the most unjust thing in the world. Just because there is 'islamic' in ISIS, does not mean it is Islamic. And we love our mothers and the women of our families, we are forever indebted to them for nurturing us and bringing us up. SJWs have done the most harm to women. What women actually want/ desire/ think is the best for them differs vastly from what SJWs peddle.
You missed my point too badly for me to bother replying.

Dory16

Banned
I have a mom and seven sisters and none of them beat down my game room door to tell me I’m a fucking asshole because Ivy in Soul Calibur 6 is fighting in a metal thong.
The woman in the OP is complaining about the working conditions of real human beings in the gamin industry that happen to be females. That you choose to make this about thongs in games because she's a female gives SJWs (which she's not) more ammunition. It's also not a good look on your IQ. Thanks.

Top Bottom