• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: The Cost Of Being A Woman Who Covers Video Games

Metnut

I really find it hilarious how triggered people here get by Kotaku articles.

Kotaku’s woke politics is a large part of the site. We all know that at this point. Ignoring the site, only skimming for certain game related content, or reading the site for the different perspective it offers all seem like better options than raging every time someone links an article here.

Grinchy

Banned
What's the cost of employing a journalist who writes this dreck?
It's probably cheap as hell. You hire some fresh-out-of-college woke kid, pay them as much as they would have made at Starbucks, and they can live at home and work from the laptop their parents bought them.

They don't even need to own the consoles that they review the games for. It's not like they're playing the games anyway.

Fnord

People realise there is "justice" in SJW? I mean when did justice become the most existential threat to gaming or to the world as we know it? A woman says how she feels. You don't have to show any empathy (God forbid). But to perpetuate the very online toxicity that she deplores in her testimony as a response is juvenile. Mental health issues are on the rise like never before and kill women AND men. It's sad to see people clinging to a world where anything that isn't centered around dudebros and their most cave time instincts is immediately attacked. You must have mothers (although nobody can tell) and some of you sisters. Think about them every now and then when dealing with the other gender. Thanks.

People realize there's "Democratic" in the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, right?

Dory16

Banned
People realize there's "Democratic" in the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, right?
SJW has become the evil banner some (evidently male) people wave the moment a female dares to question the fairness of the treatment that she receives. That was the point and not to say that SJW is necessarily just because there’s justice in it.
Some of you give weight to the notion that gamers are illiterate (male) teenagers who look for an escape from the normal world in front of screens and are allergic to any complexity being displayed on them other than explosions and good old stereotypes.

Xenoquack+rolled+a+random+image+posted+in+comment+16+at+_d559cda3ea1cc20af9f5ec1014bd9c57.png

The number one way to get SJW bullshit to go away is to stop giving them attention. Unfortunately GAF can't help themselves.

SJWs aren't the real problem, they're a symptom of the problem.

The problem is that the incentives for the media/publications are all based on click views and not quality. SJW material gives a lot of clicks and until that business model is fixed this will continue.
I disagree. It's when the wrong kind of attention is given (e.g. sending threats) is where the bullshit keeps happening.

Taking the time to debunk and explain why so-and-so's opinions are illogical is more productive and more effective at showing others how full of shit that person is.

Also, archiving exists. You can share articles without giving the sites clicks that way.

Fnord

SJW has become the evil banner some (evidently male) people wave the moment a female dares to question the fairness of the treatment that she receives. That was the point and not to say that SJW is necessarily just because there’s justice in it.
Some of you give weight to the notion that gamers are illiterate (male) teenagers who look for an escape from the normal world in front of screens and are allergic to any complexity being displayed on them other than explosions and good old stereotypes.

There's part of the problem right there. I know many women that are "anti-SJWs." It's almost as though you can't lump people into ideological belief systems or assume their life experiences based solely upon their inherent, physical character traits. Like SJWs seem to want to do.

Dory16

Banned
There's part of the problem right there. I know many women that are "anti-SJWs." It's almost as though you can't lump people into ideological belief systems or assume their life experiences based solely upon their inherent, physical character traits. Like SJWs seem to want to do.
Nobody here defends SJW as an ideology (assuming that it is one and not just a scarecrow manufactured by some males intent on protecting a privileges filled status quo at all costs).
The woman in the OP doesn’t say SJW anywhere in the article. It didn’t take long for GAG posters to brand her one because that’s much easier than addressing her actual points. It is a non intellectual response that serves the cause of SJW.

None of the things she describes in her article have anything to do with being a woman though. It's about introducing and pushing the regressive politics of intersectional feminism and identity politics that resulted in this backlash. Men (even the white, cis hetero ones!) got the exact same treatment. It's a great example of how these "progressives" fundamentally misunderstand that it's not important who you are but what you do.

Saruhashi

Banned

"Some of you give weight to the notion that gamers are illiterate (male) teenagers who look for an escape from the normal world in front of screens and are allergic to any complexity being displayed on them other than explosions and good old stereotypes."

The Cost of Being a Man (Or Anyone, Realy) Who Discusses VideoGames Online.

People who don't know a damn thing about me mindlessly brand me as an illiterate teenager who looks for an escape from the normal world in front of screens and is allergic to any complexity being displayed on them other than explosions and good old stereotypes.

Basically stripping away an context or meaning to any points I might make to score some cheap points by implying I am an illiterate simpleton who just wants mindless entertainment because it's all I can appreciate.

That's FINE though. Nothing to see here.

What's hilarious to me is that yours and M Metnut posts are actually a complete and very effective refutation of her article.
It's seems "women" are not the only ones who can't give an opinion without someone coming in to jump all over it and make disingenuous replies etc.
So you proved that she is wrong. You proved that the very premise of her article is misguided. Well done.

I mean, here you are on a website where people get ripped on for supporting Microsoft, Nintendo, Sony or for having opinions on pretty much every major game release and yet ONLY when it's a female game journalist on the end of some spicy replies does anyone think it's suddenly a bad thing.

"I'll defend her point that it's tough for women to cover videogames by, with no self-awareness whatsoever, ripping on bunch of other people giving their opinions."

Well done lads.

Last edited:

ExpandKong

Banned
The woman in the OP is complaining about the working conditions of real human beings in the gamin industry that happen to be females. That you choose to make this about thongs in games because she's a female gives SJWs (which she's not) more ammunition. It's also not a good look on your IQ. Thanks.

The fact that you actually clicked on and read a Kotaku article says more about your IQ than my shitposting says about mine.

NWvP4V9.jpg

Of course, the high IQ person is the one that comments without reading first. Makes sense.

I was commenting on your "think about your poor moms and sisters" comment, not about the article. That's why I quoted your post and not the article. Stay woke though fam.

Last edited:
"Some of you give weight to the notion that gamers are illiterate (male) teenagers who look for an escape from the normal world in front of screens and are allergic to any complexity being displayed on them other than explosions and good old stereotypes."

People who don't know a damn thing about me mindlessly brand me as an illiterate teenager who looks for an escape from the normal world in front of screens and is allergic to any complexity being displayed on them other than explosions and good old stereotypes.

Basically stripping away an context or meaning to any points I might make to score some cheap points by implying I am an illiterate simpleton who just wants mindless entertainment because it's all I can appreciate.

What's hilarious to me is that yours and M Metnut posts are actually a complete and very effective refutation of her article.
It's seems "women" are not the only ones who can't give an opinion without someone coming in to jump all over it and make disingenuous replies etc.
So you proved that she is wrong. You proved that the very premise of her article is misguided. Well done.

I mean, here you are on a website where people get ripped on for supporting Microsoft, Nintendo, Sony or for having opinions on pretty much every major game release and yet ONLY when it's a female game journalist on the end of some spicy replies does anyone think it's suddenly a bad thing.

"I'll defend her point that it's tough for women to cover videogames by, with no self-awareness whatsoever, ripping on bunch of other people giving their opinions."

Well done lads.
giphy.gif

KOMANI

KOMANI
Most of the popular games of the day weren’t made by women, weren’t about women, and were pretty limited to portraying a certain type of gruff macho man power fantasy.

DRAUDG3.jpg

eGPyW8Y.jpg

Yeah, 10 times. /s
I would also mention Suikoden had many female developers, and then there’s this gem...

Last edited:

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Where do people like this come from? I live in Texas and no woman I know would be this big of a pussy...and a few of them are democrats.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I wouldn't be surprised if this was cooked up by Anita S.
I disagree. It's when the wrong kind of attention is given (e.g. sending threats) is where the bullshit keeps happening.

Taking the time to debunk and explain why so-and-so's opinions are illogical is more productive and more effective at showing others how full of shit that person is.

Also, archiving exists. You can share articles without giving the sites clicks that way.
There is an argument for exposing it for the frauds that they are, but at the end of the day these people are nothing more than attention seekers and giving them that attention good or bad fuels it more. You give them bad attention and it fuels the victim mentality even more. "These comments are exactly why women are scared!" You give them good attention and they feel that they are "heroes"

As for sharing articles without linking, that's all well and good, but the vast majority of people are far too lazy to share without giving clicks.

Saruhashi

Banned
DRAUDG3.jpg

eGPyW8Y.jpg

Yeah, 10 times. /s
I would also mention Suikoden had many female developers, and then there’s this gem...

I think this could be taken much further since it's very likely that the vast majority of people playing games have absolutely no idea who made those games.

It occurs to me that most of the games I loved as a child and in my early teens were made by Japanese adult men halfway across the world and I wouldn't have even known that's where the games came from until I was probably in my late teens.

So you have to wonder where this idea is coming from that we can only properly enjoy games made by people who are just like us.

Some lads in Japan made Links' Awakening. Some lady in the US made Depression Quest.
It's mad to me that people sincerely believe that DQ ought to resonate more with women simply because it was made by one.
There is just no sensible logic there.

100+ million Playstation 4 consoles sold. How many of those 100 million owners are doing a deep dive on the creators of their games just to make sure that they are matching their own race, gender or sexuality to the game's creators.

How does any of this explain the massive popularity of Nintendo games that are coming out of a somewhat historically and culturally isolated nation and yet are somehow appealing to so many different demographics?

Ryu Kaiba

Well done lads.
Holy shit the ownage

BigBooper

People realise there is "justice" in SJW? I mean when did justice become the most existential threat to gaming or to the world as we know it? A woman says how she feels. You don't have to show any empathy (God forbid). But to perpetuate the very online toxicity that she deplores in her testimony as a response is juvenile. Mental health issues are on the rise like never before and kill women AND men. It's sad to see people clinging to a world where anything that isn't centered around dudebros and their most cave time instincts is immediately attacked. You must have mothers (although nobody can tell) and some of you sisters. Think about them every now and then when dealing with the other gender. Thanks.
You might want to look up propaganda in a dictionary.

imsosleepy

These are the post that gain them LOADS of hits though
Kotaku money machine is working hard at delivering money

Dory16

Banned

Well done lads.
I said "some" but if the shoe fits...

Only when it's a female journalist do I think that online harassment and name calling is a bad thing? I assure you I also thought it was bad when I was called a Microsoft PR employee for making a post praising game pass (so was the journalist from Forbes who did the same but I digress). It's of course worse when the motivation is raw bigotry and not just blind fanboyism.

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
The number one way to get SJW bullshit to go away is to stop giving them attention. Unfortunately GAF can't help themselves.

SJWs aren't the real problem, they're a symptom of the problem.

The problem is that the incentives for the media/publications are all based on click views and not quality. SJW material gives a lot of clicks and until that business model is fixed this will continue.

Exactly. I ignore all these garbage articles. Reading the synopsis in the OP is enough for me to laugh and go on with my day.

I really find it hilarious how triggered people here get by Kotaku articles.

Kotaku’s woke politics is a large part of the site. We all know that at this point. Ignoring the site, only skimming for certain game related content, or reading the site for the different perspective it offers all seem like better options than raging every time someone links an article here.
In a way, you're very spot on, we all know Kotaku is filled with ridiculous articles, same as Polygon, there's no need to keep bringing them up, just imagine the most stupid thing you can and its probably gonna be an article in Kotaku.
Life is too short to spend it being angry at idiots!

Gargus

Banned
If you have to post something from them can't you just copy and paste it instead of putting up a link for people to click on and increase their hit count?

We dont need to give that joke of a obnoxious and pretentious shit show of a fucktard website anymore attention than we have to. Those folks give gamers a bad name and are a prime example of amateur "journalism". I wish they would go out of business and everyone lose their job and have to go get an actual real job. Except Mike Fahey, that guy is pretty cool and I miss his snaktaku segments.

trikster40

while I do agree somewhat, you can’t moan about gender equality, women can do everything just as good as men, women deserve the same jobs, etc etc and then with the next breath complain about how Hard said job is because you’re a woman.

Fbh

Ok.... but now I need to know how we can take this information and use it to make better digital harry potter porn.

Seriously though any TL DR version? Every paragraph I skipped to was just her complaining about the portrayal of some female character in some game

Last edited:
If you have to post something from them can't you just copy and paste it instead of putting up a link for people to click on and increase their hit count?

We dont need to give that joke of a obnoxious and pretentious shit show of a fucktard website anymore attention than we have to. Those folks give gamers a bad name and are a prime example of amateur "journalism". I wish they would go out of business and everyone lose their job and have to go get an actual real job. Except Mike Fahey, that guy is pretty cool and I miss his snaktaku segments.
I only posted the link to prove it's not a troll thread, and fuck them enough from me to even post that entire shit article. It's absolute trash and a waste of time to even read it, hence the Colin Powell meme I added.

iorek21

I miss the times when games was just a nerdy thing and being a gamer was the definition of nerdiness.

Nowadays gaming turned into a battlefield where SJWs and Attw*ores are trying to dominate what once was geeks with their fingers filled with Doritos powder's territory

Top Bottom