• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LA Times: Microsoft announces X360 pricing at lollapalooza 2005

golem

wonder how much the 20g will be by itself.. 50?

if games cache to hard drive i need one.. custom soundtracks, i can wait (although the remote would be nice)

_Angelus_

Banned
I feel the urge to trade in my PSP for store credit even more now. They offer $160 store credit,right? Can someone confim this?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I'm not touching this one.. really

And you thought i'd come in here, pointing and laughing, and making a huge rant and saying Juice was right all along.. but I won't do that..

mrklaw said:
WIRED controller? After all the posturing about how it has wireless?

I'm probably going to have to buy the more expensive bundle, because a memory card + wireless controller will be about the same as the difference in price.

But the ethernet+headset is useless to me, the HDD is handy but not essential IMO, and the remote is most likely a waste of time because it'll only stream WMV or something.

So now MS have given Sony some wiggle room - I guess it makes sense for them to try and rape early adopters as much as possible. After all, we'll still pay, and its 'the next generation' so they aren't playing catchup to Sony - therefore there aren't the same price pressures.

WTF is that 'sony north of $399 in holiday 2007' comment? They don't think Sony will be able to cut prices after 12 months?

got that right. but i am not get a 360 till mid next year

123rl

So can we speculate on the European price? I'm guessing...

£300 for the console or £350 for the proper version

ManaByte

Gold Member
Bebpo said:
If the PS3 comes out in June you're saying they will dop the X360 price by $100/25% 6 months after launch?

I dunno, I think early adapters would be a bit pissed at that.

That's what you get for buying ANYTHING immediately. It happens with every single console release, and then people bitch that they paid so much at launch.

Mupepe

Banned
Man, even after all this shit talking, I want one so bad still. How much do you guys think I'll get for a ps2 w/hdd, xbox and GC? I'm keeping my games for BC purposes

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i guess my consolation is that it isn't launching in japan first, and that i won't be tempted to let an importer bilk me out of some obscene sum. i can cut out the middleman and let microsoft bilk me out of a markedly less obscene sum. ps3 launch is a scary prospect.

ejdonk

Europe pricing? There was a news yesterday...

Microsoft Schweiz nennt Preis vor offizieller Ankündigung auf GC morgen

Schweizer Händlern, die viele Lizenzen an den Mann bringen, verspricht Microsoft wertvolle Prämien. Darunter befindet sich auch eine "brandneue XBOX 360 Spielkonsole im Wert von CHF 600.--". Wenn man den Betrag nun umrechnet, und die mehr als doppelt so hohe deutsche Mehrwertsteuer hinzufügt kommt man auf einen Betrag um die 400 Euro.

Someone up to translate this? I'm too lazy right now. -.-
But I guess, the 400 Euro at the end don't need translation.

AniHawk

Mupepe said:
Man, even after all this shit talking, I want one so bad still. How much do you guys think I'll get for a ps2 w/hdd, xbox and GC? I'm keeping my games for BC purposes

Without checking trade in prices for a month... $160?

ManaByte

Gold Member
drohne said:
i guess my consolation is that it isn't launching in japan first, and that i won't be tempted to let an importer bilk me out of some obscene sum. i can cut out the middleman and let microsoft bilk me out of a markedly less obscene sum. ps3 launch is a scary prospect.

Import PS3s will likely be going for $1500-$2000 around launch. Import PS2s at launch went for $800-$1000.

Izzy

Banned
ALL OF THE LAUNCH 360s WILL HAVE A HARD DRIVE AND THERE IS ONLY 1 SKU!!!

:lol And it will be priced at $299. Can't wait for Juice to appear - it'll be quite an ownage. :lol

Ceb

Wireless controller should've been included in the standard package. But anyway, that's like $10 extra. A headset retails for around $20, so essentially, gamers are paying $70 for a 20GB HDD???

Jonnyram

123rl said:
So can we speculate on the European price? I'm guessing...
Never mind Europe. The Japan price is going to be crucial now. Straight conversion would put the plus pack above Y39800, which would not be the way to start a strong campaign against Sony.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
uh oh...
Here comes the 10 page thread..

But seriously, wtf is up with the WIRED controller in the $299 SKU? It can't be that much more to throw in the wireless considering they've been showing it off for this long.

AniHawk

Izzy said:
:lol And it will be priced at $299. Can't wait for Juice to appear - it'll be quite an ownage. :lol

Yeah.

More ownage:

Barnimal said:
you guys and your stupid conspiracy theories make my head hurt. its been OFFICIALLY (j allard)stated numerous times that MS only plans to launch 1 configuration of the xbox and theres already a SKU...1 SKU mind you for the 360 at retailers. Why is it so hard to understand that theres only 1 at launch when all the facts are already there? geez. 360 with hard drive and all the crap you need to run the damn thing for ~299. thats it. theres no 200 gig drive, no HD DVD at launch no insane bundle for $100 more, no 360 WITHOUT an HDD.

http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?p=1736944#post1736944

Mupepe

Banned
AniHawk said:
Without checking trade in prices for a month... $160?
That's it? Fuck. If I trade them all in, X360 better entertain the hell out of me because I'll be 2/3 of my games basically. Son of a...

J2 Cool

Microsoft fuckers. Just price it at $400! You're only gonna confuse people, screw people, and act like an ass while pretending to be a people friendly company.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
f_elz said:
Is the 360 backwards compatible at least?

Not unless you buy the HDD, and even then its still sketchy at this point

Ceb

ManaByte said:
Import PS3s will likely be going for $1500-$2000 around launch. Import PS2s at launch went for $800-$1000.

So you're suggesting that it'll retail for 80,000 yen...?

ejdonk

Here you go .. good babblefish, fine babblefish!

Microsoft Switzerland calls price before official announcement on office tomorrow

Swiss dealers, who bring many licenses to the man, promises Microsoft valuable premiums. Among them also a "fire-new XBOX 360 play console is in the value of CHF 600.-". If one converts the amount now, and comes one adds the more than twice as high German value added tax on an amount around the 400 euro.

demi

Nintendo delays Zelda, fans suicide.

Microsoft announces prices and gives gamers the ol' finger in the poo hole, fans fake their own deaths and claim life insurance to pay for X360.

Sony....well....

Ok, they're just ugly.

neptunes

what a week full of disappointments

If anyone's interested,

ad0ymv.jpg

There's still room on the hype train.

AniHawk

Mupepe said:
That's it? Fuck. If I trade them all in, X360 better entertain the hell out of me because I'll be 2/3 of my games basically. Son of a...

I think it was...

PS2 (large): $65
GC: $25
Xbox: $70

But I can't be sure. If you have a gamestop card you could get $16 more. If not... well, you could get $1 more. :p

Dunno about EB or other places.

Also, I don't think they take back the PS2 HDD. Could be wrong though.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i don't know why microsoft tacitly let the expectation develop that all xbox 360s would ship with hard disks. now both skus seem like shitty deals.

Mupepe

Banned
Who was that fucking dildo from MS that said "You'll be suprised... in a good way" Well now I say to that fucker, "Eat shit and die, it's the only good thing you can do now"

Rindain

Banned
Why isn't there more outrage in this thread? Doesn't anyone realize how much this sucks?

Honestly, who really thinks that developers will take advantage of a hard drive that in all likelyhood only a small percentage of the user-base will own?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
J2 Cool said:
Microsoft fuckers. Just price it at $400! You're only gonna confuse people, screw people, and act like an ass while pretending to be a people friendly company.

They can do that by simply not having many of the 'base' models at launch.

They need a low launch price and the bare bones version gives them that.

Looking like £199/299e bare bones, £299/399e full pack (thats assuming they launch both in Europe - with only 400k units, maybe they'll just do the big pack)

KingJ2002

damn... well there is a 299 version.

but with no hard drive... damn... a deep blow to the gut

i wish microsoft would have put a hard drive on the standard model... and put a bigger hard drive "40GB" on the value pack version.

well... whatever... i guess i will be buying the 399 version... saves me the trouble of buying all those accessories seperately.

Mupepe

Banned
drohne said:
i don't know why microsoft tacitly let the expectation develop that all xbox 360s would ship with hard disks. now both skus seem like shitty deals.
Seriously, they should have made it known from the beginning. I've heard so many casuals even saying "it's going to come with a hard drive and it's going to have wireless controllers" and you're going to be paying 100 dollars more for it.

cvxfreak

I still want one... =( I have a little over $100 saved up. And thanks to Zelda's absence, I'll have an additional $50.

What kind of HDD does the 360 use?

dorio

Banned
Software developers can't be too happy about this. No harddrive really limits what they can do while the higher price tag for the wireless package means less games bought. Maybe this is the real reason we heard rumors of devs jumping ship.

Bebpo

Banned
Rindain said:
Honestly, who really thinks that developers will take advantage of a hard drive that in all likelyhood only a small percentage of the user-base will own?

Pretty much.

But then again we should've expected this since they were telling developers that the games had to run even if there was no hard drive inserted.

ManaByte said:
Uh, no. The PS2 didn't, but that didn't stop import places marking it up to $800-$1000.

But you were basically doubling the figure with $1800-$2000 prices suggesting that the PS3 would cost double the PS2. Most likely situation is the PS3 costing ~$500 in Japan and retailers selling them for $1000 at launch.

Chittagong

Gold Member
mrklaw said:
They can do that by simply not having many of the 'base' models at launch.

They need a low launch price and the bare bones version gives them that.

Looking like £199/299e bare bones, £299/399e full pack (thats assuming they launch both in Europe - with only 400k units, maybe they'll just do the big pack)

Mrklaw, does this news answer your question to me from yesterday? :)

thorns

Banned
$300 for xbox 360, even without HDD and wireless stuff is a great price. You all bought PS2s without HDD, wireless etc. for $300 too 5 years ago and xbox 360 offers more than the PS2, without taking into account inflation etc. With Xbox you got a hdd for $300 but that was an extreme situation unlikely ever to happen in the industry.

Myself I was expecting $350-400 with HDD and that to be the only SKU. It's cool that they're having a barebones pack as well.

I would be very surprised if PS3 launches at $300 in ANY form.

Top Bottom