• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LA Times: Microsoft announces X360 pricing at lollapalooza 2005

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Ceb said:
I think the standard pack will be $399 (with Blu-ray, one wireless controller, backward compability).

Too early to speculate (although I just did, lol) lets try not to derail the thread too much :)

jiggle

399 pack should come with a special faceplate.

dorio said:
How will that pos look without a harddrive on top? Will it have some type of filler unit that doesn't have hd inside?

A smaller faceplate? Two ways to customize.

_Angelus_

Banned
Can a 90 year old be worth playing Oblivion and PGR3 with the Deluxe X360 pack,you betcha.

I just need to make sure she has a bedpan handy from all the excitement.

Izzy

Banned
1 Euro = 1.2336 U.S. dollars

In other words, ~$500 for X360 VP in Europe. Still buying it, though - not sure about the mass market targets and all...

Mupepe

Banned
Bah. MS should have been more clear from the fucking beginning. I mean, it's not terribly expensive and I think everyone knows that. It's just the fact that everyone was so mislead by that bald bastards forked tongue. And what pisses me off, is I know I'll be banking on BC for the dry period of games after launch, so it's not even feasible for me to get the 299. I swear to god, if all my games aren't BC I'm going to eat Allard and his family.

thorns

Banned
Mupepe said:
Bah. MS should have been more clear from the fucking beginning. I mean, it's not terribly expensive and I think everyone knows that. It's just the fact that everyone was so mislead by that bald bastards forked tongue. And what pisses me off, is I know I'll be banking on BC for the dry period of games after launch, so it's not even feasible for me to get the 299. I swear to god, if all my games aren't BC I'm going to eat Allard and his family.

I really doubt that Allard has any decision power whatsoever when it comes pricing.

Borys

Banned
Izzy said:

In other words, $500 for X360 VP in Europe. Still buying it, though - not sure about the mass market targets and all...

Hardcore market buys it. Xbox 1 owners buy it. People dumping PC gaming buy it. That should be enough for the time being (till March).

Now will the Playstation 2 owners buy it? Or will they wait for PS3?

MS was very vocal about expanding Xbox 1 userbase not simply moving it to next-gen. They have to market 360 really, really strong to convince PS2 peeps it's worth getting one and not waiting for PS3.

With a big marketing budget and hot campaign this should work whatever the final price of the console is.

dorio

Banned
Izzy said:

In other words, ~$500 for X360 VP in Europe. Still buying it, though - not sure about the mass market targets and all...
There really stupid if they think they can get to that 10 million mark before sony releases while alienating their fanbase with these idiotic skus.

brocke

Banned
The biggest thing that pisses me off about this news is what someone mentioned earlier in the thread. Now developers won't be focusing on creating a game around the online functionality of the xbox 360. That was the one element I was hoping would be unique for 360. It's the one thing that would set them apart from the PS3 and Revolution.

MS didn't take a step back though. They just didn't step forward. They are merely hovering where they have always been with the xbox, just with better graphics and a wireless controller. Bah I'll still buy it though, just for the good graphics.

Ceb

Borys said:
Xbox 1 owners buy it. .

Will Xbox owners from 2004 and onwards buy it? It would be interesting to see a detailed breakdown on the purchasers, but that'll never happen.

brocke said:
The biggest thing that pisses me off about this news is what someone mentioned earlier in the thread. Now developers won't be focusing on creating a game around the online functionality of the xbox 360. That was the one element I was hoping would be unique for 360. It's the one thing that would set them apart from the PS3 and Revolution.

MS didn't take a step back though. They just didn't step forward. They are merely hovering where they have always been with the xbox, just with better graphics and a wireless controller. Bah I'll still buy it though, just for the good graphics.
it's a step back, don't kid yourself... the one bullet point they had over PS3 is gone...

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
quadriplegicjon said:
so is the revolution the only next gen system that will have standard some form of internal storage?

i find that funny as well.

I was just thinking that as well.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
brocke said:
Now developers won't be focusing on creating a game around the online functionality of the xbox 360.

I was under the impression that u dont need a HDD to play online? Unless my PS2 has been lieing to me since SOCOM. I can see the lack of a HDD as an issue when it comes to downloadable content, but for online play you should be fine even with the cheap SKU.

Mupepe

Banned
thorns said:
I really doubt that Allard has any decision power whatsoever when it comes pricing.
Doesn't matter, that dildo is representing a company that pissed me off. To the consumer, he might as well be MS. So in eating him and his family, I'm sending a message to Bill Gates... that I'm hungry.

The pricing as I understand it:

US: $399/299
Europe: 399/299 Euro
UK: 279/209 pounds.

You can supposedly buy all the wireless/HD stuff to upgrade the cheaper system to the proper one, but it'll work out more expensive than just buying the proper one outright.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I don't see what's so idiotic about it, not having a hard drive isn't going to splinter the Xbox market because all developers have been told their games have to work without it (im guessing MMORPGs will get dispensation). You don't need it to save games, you don't need it to go on xbox live, you don't even need it to do all the fancy media stuff.

Some games MAY load faster if you have one (if the developers have had enough time to code it), but i doubt many will bother.

Don't get me wrong it sucks that HDD isn't standard but I don't see anything stupid about it on MS' part...as many people have said the gouging has begun. (Don't you wish you hadn't laughed so much when they were making loses)

Mupepe

Banned
TTP said:
I was under the impression that u dont need a HDD to play online? Unless my PS2 is lieing to me. I can see the HDD omission as an issue when it comes to downloadable content, but for online play you should be fine even with the cheap SKU.
Yeah, you need the Memory Card or the HDD. Depending on how much they cost, it will probably just be better to buy the damn HDD though.

Outside of the smaller physical size, why would anyone choose to purchase a memory unit over a HDD? They're both portable and the HDD actually can be used for more functions.

J2 Cool

needs more killer app games for $400. I'm just not excited about spending 400 on hardware with nothing I'm dying for in software. Most of the good stuff has either not been put into light as far as gameplay and such, or isn't releasing at launch. If they had footage of Madden 2006 working, looking amazing, and a step ahead of about any game out there right now, I'd be happy to throw down. You'd think that would be the advantage being the first console to next gen but they havent blown away last gen yet even. At least they haven't showed a lot of the game that does anyway. When I get some real footage and some real gameplay and it warrants a next gen label, then I'll fork it up. It doesnt look like launch they'll have that though. As of now anyway..

dorio

Banned
So that part about all xbox owners getting the silver package of xbox live free was bs? How is the silver package handled without a memory card or harddrive? These f**kers better show me an incredible Halo3 demo quick.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Ghost said:
I don't see what's so idiotic about it, not having a hard drive isn't going to splinter the Xbox market because all developers have been told their games have to work without it (im guessing MMORPGs will get dispensation). You don't need it to save games, you don't need it to go on xbox live, you don't even need it to do all the fancy media stuff.

Some games MAY load faster if you have one (if the developers have had enough time to code it), but i doubt many will bother.

true. Which brings me back to some E3s ago where Allard was pissing over the PS2 for not having an HDD buil it. He was like "how can you even think to go online without an HDD?". Or something like that.

Oh well, things change.

sangreal

MightyHedgehog said:
Outside of the smaller physical size, why would anyone choose to purchase a memory unit over a HDD? They're both portable and the HDD actually can be used for more functions.

You can't have more than one HDD connected at once.

element

Now developers won't be focusing on creating a game around the online functionality of the xbox 360.
All you need is a memory card for your gamer profile. Nothing more. Devs are REALLY going to push XBL, a HDD isn't required to make great games on XBL.
That's my point. Sony proved this generation people will pay for accessories. Memory cards, hard drives, network adapters, Eye Toys, Singstarse etc... Microsoft would be stupid not to jump in on it. The market has shown it is willing to pay for these items and the free ride is over. This will be a great thread to revist for the PS3 price launch.
Dead on!

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
MightyHedgehog said:

Good question. Answer: price? (actually it's another question ;))

dorio said:
So that part about all xbox owners getting the silver package of xbox live free was bs? How is the silver package handled without a memory card or harddrive? These f**kers better show me an incredible Halo3 demo quick.
:lol :lol :lol

good point!

no memory device = no live!

$299 model doesnt let you use live out of the box!

Socreges

Banned
I'm disappointed, but not angry since this now saves me a great deal of money! If I'm going to buy a 360 then it's going to be the one with the HDD, wireless controller, and headset.... but I'm not about to pay $399 US. Screwed both ways.

Bebpo said:
Except that with all Kutaragi's "it'll be expensive" and articles saying "it'll be $500", when it comes out at $400 everyone will be going "OMG it's so much cheaper than we expected, Sony is awesome!".
Seriously.

I found it strange that Manabyte was getting so protective in this thread... until I realized he was indirectly defending the PS3! :lol

Mupepe

Banned
TTP said:
Good question. Answer: price? (actually it's another question ;))
I can't imagine the HDD being that much more than the Memory Card. They would either have to make the HDD really overpriced(that's assuming it comes with no special content, like the ff xi/ps2 hdd) or they'd have to make the memory card really cheap. and now that I think about it, do you think they'll bundle the standalone HDD with ff xi??? we all know how well that worked for sony's hdd. :lol

dorio

Banned
element said:
All you need is a memory card for your gamer profile. Nothing more. Devs are REALLY going to push XBL, a HDD isn't required to make great games on XBL.
Dead on!
Give me a break. That would really limit what you can do on xbl if it has to fit on a small memory card. This decision was beyond stupid, element, and they will pay with customer apathy, just wait. This move is something sony could make but not some guy who came in a distant second last gen.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Mupepe said:
I can't imagine the HDD being that much more than the Memory Card. They would either have to make the HDD really overpriced(that's assuming it comes with no special content, like the ff xi/ps2 hdd) or they'd have to make the memory card really cheap. and now that I think about it, do you think they'll bundle the standalone HDD with ff xi??? we all know how well that worked for sony's hdd. :lol

:lol

Well, they also have the backwards compatibility argument to push the HDD.

sangreal

I love how they throw the $0.10 ethernet cord in there like you should care.

and with that I'm off to bed to think of a better way to spend several hundred dollars this holiday season.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
dorio said:
Give me a break. That would really limit what you can do on xbl if it has to fit on a small memory card. This decision was beyond stupid, element, and they will pay with customer apathy, just wait. This move is something sony could make but not some guy who came in a distant second last gen.

If you are referring to just the baility to download stuff, I can see your point. But for just playing online... can you bring up some issues related to not having an HDD? I can see myself playing on XBL just fine with a Memory card.

element

That would really limit what you can do on xbl if it has to fit on a small memory card.
when did 64 MB become 'small'? For basic player vs player gaming, you really dont need any space locally. Now for things like DLC and stuff, if that is something your interested in, then your going to have to make a decision to do some memory card managment, or buy a HDD. Not to mention the long speculated 'save to PC', which might be possible.

pilonv1

quadriplegicjon said:
thats nothing to be excited about. :(

I dont think he ever intended it to be, just that some people realise what's happening to the market and can accept it without whining like little children who've had their ball taken away.

Izzy

Banned
TTP said:
:lol

Well, they also have the backwards compatibility argument to push the HDD.

You mean very selective backwards compatibility argument. :)

The Faceless Master said:
:lol :lol :lol

good point!

no memory device = no live!

$299 model doesnt let you use live out of the box!

No LIVE out of box for the $299 model? Bbbbut J Allard said... :lol

dorio

Banned
So does MS have any advantage over sony next gen?

No harddrive
No live
Less powerful hardware
No builtin wireless
No wireless controller
Less developer support
No hd dvd playback
No backwards compat.

Hell we don't even know if it has a price advantage

all in the standard sku.

edit: no hdmi, thanks poster below. :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
dorio said:
There really stupid if they think they can get to that 10 million mark before sony releases while alienating their fanbase with these idiotic skus.

Don't think that the base unit is there so MS can sell to the mainstream. They don't want you to buy it. Most likely the accessories will be priced such that you might as well buy the value pack, and I'm guessing availability of the SKUs will reflect that.

If its 95% value/5% cheap, then effectively you only have the choice of the expensive bundle, while still giving MS the opportunity to shout about having an "inexpensive entry point to the HD era"

As for HDD Vs Memory card - its all about incremental costs.

Buy the base unit. You need a storage device. Get the memory card for $40, or the HDD for $60. Hey, its just an extra $20 for 20GB, so I'll get that. Now you're almost at the stage where you might as well have bought the 'value' pack.

Rhindle

dorio said:

No harddrive
No live
Less powerful hardware
No builtin wireless
No wireless controller
Less developer support
No hd dvd playback
No backwards compat.

all in the standard sku.
The "Standard" SKU is the $399 one.

Get some sleep, you'll feel better in the morning,

dorio said:

No harddrive
No live
Less powerful hardware
No builtin wireless
No wireless controller
Less developer support
No hd dvd playback
No backwards compat.

all in the standard sku.
looks like the only advantage they have left is their launch window

oh, and changeable faceplates!

AniHawk

MightyHedgehog said:
Well, there is the most important issue of games. And MS is looking pretty damned good right now, IMO.

So did Sega.

Oh yes. I went there. I made a Dreamcast comparison.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
dorio said:

No harddrive
No live
Less powerful hardware
No builtin wireless
No wireless controller
Less developer support
No hd dvd playback
No backwards compat.

all in the standard sku.

Why the fuck "No live"?

And since we dont know yet anything about PS3 SKU(s), I'd cut a copule of points fromn that list just to be sure.

- Less powerful hardware
- No builtin wireless
- No hd dvd playback
- No backwards compat.

These are the real "cons" of the starter 360 SKU compared to an hypotecial starter PS3 SKU. Not a big deal IMO.

Ceb

dorio said:

No harddrive
No live
Less powerful hardware
No builtin wireless
No wireless controller
Less developer support
No hd dvd playback
No backwards compat.

all in the standard sku.

No hdmi connection...

Man this hurts my feelings.

I was considering being an early adopter when I thought that the HD would come with it at the $300 price point, but now I'm going to wait.

Custom Soundtrack, BC, and Storage were big selling points to me (as well has the little bit of hope that I had that some devs. might still take advantage of the HD). With the current announcement, there just isn't enough content to warrant me paying $300. Who knows, MS may change my mind though, but for now I'm disappointed.

Top Bottom