• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Latest Kotaku L

Sephimoth

The all-inclusive Kotaku everyone!

GFVU1x0-WQAAr4-Ge.png

WTF is wrong with Kotaku!? I thought they were decidedly in the camp of accessibility options being good as more people get to enjoy games that way.
They've been acting uncharacteristically as of late. Wouldn't have expected an article like this from them either:

https://kotaku.com/stellar-blade-release-date-bunny-outfit-1851214532

"Over on the PlayStation Blog, game director Kim Hyung Tae talked about Stellar Blade’s story, the preorder bonuses that include some additional accessories and outfits for Eve, and more. But let’s be honest, we’re all here for the fits. That’s the only thing that matters here, right? I mean, Eve is dressed up in everything from a bikini to what looks like a peacock outfit. The getups you can dress the protagonist up in are fire and would make good fit checks on social media sites such as Instagram and Pinterest. Sometimes, you wanna flaunt what you’ve got while you’re fighting. The combat also looks pretty slick."

Doom85

They've been acting uncharacteristically as of late. Wouldn't have expected an article like this from them either:

https://kotaku.com/stellar-blade-release-date-bunny-outfit-1851214532

"Over on the PlayStation Blog, game director Kim Hyung Tae talked about Stellar Blade’s story, the preorder bonuses that include some additional accessories and outfits for Eve, and more. But let’s be honest, we’re all here for the fits. That’s the only thing that matters here, right? I mean, Eve is dressed up in everything from a bikini to what looks like a peacock outfit. The getups you can dress the protagonist up in are fire and would make good fit checks on social media sites such as Instagram and Pinterest. Sometimes, you wanna flaunt what you’ve got while you’re fighting. The combat also looks pretty slick."

They also did last year a Top 30 Anime of the Last Ten Years, and immediately at #30 is Kakegurui. The anime well known for giving its female characters rather…”enthusiastic” facial expressions when they win at the gambling games they engage in. They also included Konosuba which is also fairly fanservice-y at times.

It was also a far more based and well-informed list than IGN’s fumble of a top Anime of all Time list they also did last year (most of the shows listed were good-excellent, but either the placement was way off or it shouldn’t be on a Top 25 ever list unless you’ve only dabbled slightly into anime).

There’s probably at least one, maybe even some, people in Kotaku who appreciate fanservice or at least aren’t bothered by it, but get drowned out by the people who scream about it. Like, it’s okay to not personally like fanservice, but then don’t cover stories involving games and such that utilize it and leave it to your employees who do. You wouldn’t have the person who doesn’t like slasher films to be the one to review Scream 6 last year, would you?

Kotaku deleted that post on X but the harm is done...Kotaku beiing Kotaku again, taking L after L. I stopped visiting them years ago...now i banning them on X. Why would sane people making such a post? Shame on you Cuntako....

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
What a 180!

New Alan Wake II Update Is Great For Scaredy-Cats Like Me [Corrected]​

LOL. You know the drill. The most annoying and political people are always worse than the people they accuse.

Correction, 2/1/24, 9:40 a.m. ET: This post previously disregarded the accessibility implications of this update. It has been updated to acknowledge those implications. Kotaku regrets the error.

nkarafo

Community notes is a feature that should be copied by all social networks. It too many people talking out their ass uncontested on the internet.
Is it something the community could use to challenge the woke or big companies that cater to them?

If yes then don't count on it.

Erased a White character and replaced her with black:
maxresdefault.jpg

Just so the black could shit on White people:
2n1e6dx.jpeg

She's a complex and interesting character who has strong, positive relationships with white characters. Don't make her out to be some kind of two dimensional anti-white blm woke character with one screenshot. Also the actor did a great job too.

I'm happy to complain about woke issues when they exist. This isn't one.

Roxkis_ii

Is it something the community could use to challenge the woke or big companies that cater to them?

If yes then don't count on it.

So far all the community notes I've seen have been fact based. So if someone is posting something that contradicts known facts from credible sources, then that's when they usually pop up.

I don't think fighting culture wars would be a good use for them...

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
She's a complex and interesting character who has strong, positive relationships with white characters. Don't make her out to be some kind of two dimensional anti-white blm woke character with one screenshot. Also the actor did a great job too.

I'm happy to complain about woke issues when they exist. This isn't one.
To be fair, what if it was reversed and the game character was white, and she said ""Another black asshole....."?

Cmon, youre telling me people wouldnt go nuts at a line like that? But the context is a white asshole and it's a-ok?

Last edited:
Erased a White character and replaced her with black:
maxresdefault.jpg

Just so the black could shit on White people:
2n1e6dx.jpeg
This is when it starts getting to Retard Era levels. She's not a woke character. Plz let's not over-correct for the wokeness in games media. That's exactly what the purple ppl did and now they look like idiots

based kotaku, getting real sick of these epileptic colorblind neurologicallly stunted not to mention suicidal) crybabies making our games too easy for the normies. gaming is not just a hobby, if you can't keep up with the pros, then stay out!

This is when it starts getting to Retard Era levels. She's not a woke character. Plz let's not over-correct for the wokeness in games media. That's exactly what the purple ppl did and now they look like idiots
when they start inserting black characters when nobody asked, thats obviously agenda driven despite all the "natural complexity" they pad it with.

Last edited:
To be fair, what if it was reversed and the game character was white, and she said ""Another black asshole....."?

Cmon, youre telling me people wouldnt go nuts at a line like that? But the context is a white asshole and it's a-ok?

Of course people would go nuts if that happened.

But the reality is a black woman saying something like that is acceptable in society and it's not some kind of woke statement that a rounded black, female, police detective working in a predominately white environment would say or think something like that. It doesn't mean the game has a woke agenda or that the character is innately racist.

I'd be quite interested to play a character who IS a white racist. If handled delicately in a game with multiple playable characters...it could be interesting. But I think depicting characters in film vs playing as them in a game is felt like a different level of taboo in modern society.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
But the reality is a black woman saying something like that is acceptable in society and it's not some kind of woke statement that a rounded black, female, police detective working in a predominately white environment saying something like that doesn't mean the game has a woke agenda or that the character is innately racist.
Maybe in your own society it's ok to say stuff like that. Wow

Maybe in your own society it's ok to say stuff like that. Wow

Modern western society - it is okay to say that. Do you see public outcry? Do you see the game being censored? Do you see other media with similar content? Wake up you clown. I am not saying I agree with any of it, but you are deluded if you don't think saying that is accepted in society. Because it is.

Top Bottom