• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lead Writer Sam Maggs confirms that Rivet is canonically a lesbian

Status
Not open for further replies.
being an atheist on twitter is nothing revolutionary or brave.
Exactly. No offense FunkMiller FunkMiller , but bro you're behind the times.

Now, if they said on Twitter that Rivet was a Christian Fundamentalist or something, now that would've been brave, and the ensuing Twitter shit storm would've been entertaining.

This is all keeping in mind that we're still talking about a fictional, anthropomorphic digital animal 😂

A.Romero

Haven't play the game (Never played any Rachet games so far) why is the name Rivet such a big deal?

The fact that they keep hiring her for projects means that there is no discrimination. I mean, if person with a unique set of skills working in a very specific industry behaves this way she would probably be tagged and nobody would hire her. Still, she is still working on different projects so, in my mind, they are allowing her to fight for her causes.

HTK

Banned
Wow she sounds like a model person to work with.
manchester united GIF

Haven't play the game (Never played any Rachet games so far) why is the name Rivet such a big deal?

The fact that they keep hiring her for projects means that there is no discrimination. I mean, if person with a unique set of skills working in a very specific industry behaves this way she would probably be tagged and nobody would hire her. Still, she is still working on different projects so, in my mind, they are allowing her to fight for her causes.
Precisely. All this complaining about "privilege," yet she has unthinkable amounts of privilege.

If I publicly went on Twitter with ANY (not even necessarily controversial) details of product development, my company would fire me IMMEDIATELY.

The fact that this lady seems so publicly unstable, and not only does she keep her job so she keeps getting hired for stuff... Now, THAT is privilege.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Nope. But it's sure a tech sector thing to do. Gaming is probably the worst of them all. Manchildren.

There's probably 100x more people working at banks, or blue collar guys fixing roads and building new homes and apartments.

How often do you see them complain they didn't get their way in a meeting?

I want to see more Blue Collar worker memes on these fucks. They earn so much without doing much, or expenditure of personal energy.

Apologies, I was thinking about other things, got distracted.

Apologies Gaffers, im about to implode, leaving the forum, Temp

Last edited:

Fbh

Must be a nightmare trying to avoid these nutjobs in California.

It must be because as a (small) business owner I honestly don't get how anyone could hire people like these.

Doesn't matter what qualifications, education and skills they have. You just know sooner or later they'll be trouble

Ezquimacore

Banned
Stay woke Sony👌 gay characters are more important than great games. And if you have gay characters in a great game that's even better than great games without great characters!

demonstr8

The people who write these kinds of tweets seriously need mental help. I am not even saying this is in a mean way, I seriously hope she gets out of her bubble of fallacies and drama and becomes a more stable person somehow. I don’t know what it is about the deign of twitter but it has clearly been a psychological cancer on people for years- I honestly think people need to stop using it because it feeds peoples egos in this fake and exacerbated way. It’s hard to articulate.

Goalus

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Sam Maggs is a mentally ill cunt who is trying to virtue signal and insult/attack people, as per usual. Rivet is a complete nobody character that, aside from the character design, has *nothing* memorable about her. Her "sexuality" has zero bearing on anything in the title nor does it even need to be mentioned.

One of my biggest problems is that people can rarely defend themselves on social media

Mark Stuart gains nothing by responding to this. Insomniac gains nothing by responding to this.

Saucy Papi

Wtf is that place? I can't believe those people are real. Wow.

Lol, this guy is also chiming in:

IIRC he complained (on Twitter as well) that the leadership wanted Rivet to look more feminine, but he managed to prevent that :messenger_grinning_squinting:

We need to bring back bullying. This is what happens when all those beta males stop getting their asses beat throughout high school.

dugdug

Banned
So, just so I understand the timeline:
  1. Sam Maggs decides to start all caps screaming on Twitter about how a guy who was summarizing a series of events doesn’t say her name a single time. She then says this means they’re ERASING her work. She then admits that it took her a year and a half to come up with the name.
  2. IGN doesn’t even bother to look into this with Insomniac and *immediately* edits the article to say she came up with the name.
  3. Usual suspects wuffles and Xavier, who have never had a consistent story, chime in with the usual “yaaaas queen.” Wuffles says they cried in Ted’s office as if this is something an employee should do.
  4. Sam says she cried for *hours* every day, and would just walk around the office screaming “Lobax Titties!” but then says “I loved it there!” because these are just things we’ll-adjusted people do.
  5. Female intern who was hired (something wuffles says never happened there because they HATE WOMEN) reminds Sam she had nothing to do with naming Rivet.
  6. Sam walks it back (but still calls the current employee an intern)
  7. Oh, and Rivet’s a lesbian which was obviously very important to the story. (imagine working on this family game and constantly having these three teammates always bringing up how fuckable Rivet is).
That about it?

Closer

I'm sorry...but from all this person posted on that thread...this is what you felt deserved a topic?

OP knew what they're doing. It's to expose the reverse-Resetera people we have here, the other side of the coin. We can clearly see who gives any fuck to this and those that gives way too many fucks and go full retard.

Last edited:
  1. Sam Maggs decides to start all caps screaming on Twitter about how a guy who was summarizing a series of events doesn’t say her name a single time. She then says this means they’re ERASING her work. She then admits that it took her a year and a half to come up with the name.
  2. IGN doesn’t even bother to look into this with Insomniac and *immediately* edits the article to say she came up with the name.
  3. Usual suspects wuffles and Xavier, who have never had a consistent story, chime in with the usual “yaaaas queen.” Wuffles says they cried in Ted’s office as if this is something an employee should do.
  4. Sam says she cried for *hours* every day, and would just walk around the office screaming “Lobax Titties!” but then says “I loved it there!” because these are just things we’ll-adjusted people do.
  5. Female intern who was hired (something wuffles says never happened there because they HATE WOMEN) reminds Sam she had nothing to do with naming Rivet.
  7. Oh, and Rivet’s a lesbian which was obviously very important to the story. (imagine working on this family game and constantly having these three teammates always bringing up how fuckable Rivet is).
That about it?

Kill Count Sums It Up GIF by Dead Meat James

Edit—-

You forgot to mention the whole, “insomniac tried to push titties on rivet and it made all of us women super uncomfortable” narrative that was also shot down by the other female employee who says they actually felt uncomfortable with her tantrums

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

If it's not on the page, or the screen, it doesn't exist in the media. If pen isn't put to paper, "Canonical" matters about as much as fan fiction.

This is also true for IP that takes place over various forms of media, IMO. I don't care what happened in the Halo books. If it's not a part of the story in the game, it's not a part of the game's story. None of that matters. If you want something to matter, put it in the actual book, or movie, or game.
I'm confused

teezzy

Banned
The icing on the cake is her tweet to an intern who called her out about who came up with the name is saying to pass on her saying hi to the team. That's how much of a fucking mess someone is that they don't stay in contact with any work colleagues. Roaring out lomax tiddies at work colleagues is sackable in almost every place of employment.

Game development really is a corporate hell hole eh?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Bill Hicks explained this so long ago: Fevered Egos.

Seriously, lead writer throws lead designer under the bus because of... an interview. (somewhere).

Like, how much of a narcissist do you have to be to go off on a Twitter rant over... what? Exactly?
What sort of "professional" shit-talks their co-workers on social media?

The giveaway for me is the "undermining" thing. I literally cannot imagine a scenario where a lead writer would not be below a lead designer in the hierarchy of dev. She's not the fucking game director. The way she's putting it across is that this guy somehow "sabotaged" her vision, when even if the guy is a total dickhead, him disagreeing with her on creative matters is perfectly legit.

If there was any sort of personal animus between them, the same thing applies. Like any other job, some people you get along with better than others. Some people are more on your wavelength than others...

What she's saying is horrifically unprofessional. Beyond the pretty unpleasant intent of trying a colleague in the court of public opinion, its just so arrogant and presumptuous for somebody in her position on the team.

What's especially galling is the twist of the knife in the "this is the reality of being a woman in this industry". Not only does that imply misogyny, but the sheer fucking hubris of thinking that what's happened to her hasn't happened in the past to other people of both sexes!

Fevered Ego.

Yes, I must say I feel attracted to women.

As am I 😁👍

How empty must this woman's life be to get agitated on the Internet about the sexual orientation of a:
  1. Fictional
  2. Digital
  3. Anthropomorphic
  4. Animal
As many others have already said in the thread, she actually sounds very unstable.

LGBT-GAF, this woman (and people like her) is doing your cause NO favors.

I mean as long as they aren't Noelle Stevenson levels it should be fine. It's fine.

Last edited:

Corndog

Banned
I don't know when it happened,. but Sony is pretty much Reset Era the videogame company. They went from my favorite video gaming company to some weird SJW task force that needs to force fit some sort of sexual agenda or masculine women into video games at every opportunity.
It’s called California.

I'm confused
If something happens in a book, it's not part of the game's storyline. That's the point I'm trying to make. People shouldn't have to view another type of media for your story to make sense or for them to get the full picture. And for something to be part of a story or character, it has to exist either in the media in question, or only as a possibility or possible interpretation. You're welcome to disagree, but does that make sense to you as an opinion many people likely have?

decisions

of course she is....
The characters in that game lacked any sort of edge. It's full disney boring goody2shoes.
It was like that even in the ps4 game. They took all the edge away andmade everything else super dumb kids friendly. Not the 90s kids who were rad. But disney idiot kids.
Yeah I really hate how cookie-cutter and boring the tone of the games has become. The original feels like it is from a different series.

Any Sacred Symbols listeners get pissed when Colin says the tone of the newer games is better?

MarkMe2525

If something happens in a book, it's not part of the game's storyline. That's the point I'm trying to make. People shouldn't have to view another type of media for your story to make sense or for them to get the full picture. And for something to be part of a story or character, it has to exist either in the media in question, or only as a possibility or possible interpretation. You're welcome to disagree, but does that make sense to you as an opinion many people likely have?
I was ribbing you. I understood your comment. You left yourself open with those two statements one sentence apart.

Last edited:

Moonjt9

This chick crazy. Wouldn’t be surprised if this is all victimhood fantasy conjured in her head. Those tweets are INSANE. Does she want sympathy for being yelled at because she was a nut job employee? Not from me.

gow3isben

Looks like Insomniac finally divulged what everyone in the world was waiting for.

Now if only the other 1,000 game studios the past 40 years across 10,000 games could tell gamers if their characters are straight or lesbian, the world would be a better place.

I hope Insomniac doesn't take their foot off the gas pedal. Next stops are bi and trans characters. Can't be limited only having straight and lesbian.

Still waiting for Imagic to tell gamers if the archer on top of the castle in Dragonfire is gay.

Don't equate this nutjob to Insomniac they clearly wanted to be rid of her and her ilk

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
That about it?

This needs to be stickied and posted in the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom