• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leaked Images reveal Lenovo's Steam Deck Competitor

Vox Machina

Banned
A couple of weeks ago we got wind that Lenovo was working on a PC handheld along the lines of the ASUS ROG Ally. It seems like some marketing photos have surfaced that show the device in detail:

05_Legion_Go_Hero_Front_Facing_Right-930x620.jpg

01_Legion_Go_Tour_Front-3.jpg

17_Legion_Go_Hero_Front_Facing_R.jpg

11_Legion_Go_Hero_Kickstand_Out-2.jpg

Some details:

• Switch-style detachable controls, possibly to enable different controller layouts in the future, or detached gameplay
  • Small bezels on the top and bottom of the screen
  • Kickstand on the back
  • Back buttons on both controllers
  • Touchpad on the front of the right controller
  • A wheel on the back of the right controller

Personally I think this looks really, really good for what would be Lenovo's first entry into the PC Handheld market. This looks really ambitious and it's exactly the type of device that draws from the strengths of both the Steam Deck and the Switch.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
Looks like the DMG of handheld PCs, excluding those pre-2020 neos.

Not sure what detachable controls really brings to a handheld PC.

More competition is always good though, pushes everyone forward. Hopefully (highly doubt it) it doesn't use windows.

Vox Machina

Banned
Man, this avalanche of handhelds is awesome.

Absolutely it is. I'm loving all the competition in this market at the moment. I hope the Windows team is working on a good front-end for small-screen gaming-oriented devices like this.

Looks like the DMG of handheld PCs, excluding those pre-2020 neos.

Not sure what detachable controls really brings to a handheld PC.

More competition is always good though, pushes everyone forward. Hopefully (highly doubt it) it doesn't use windows.

Detachable controllers lets you replace them easily if one is defective in any way. They could also potentially offer different controller layouts that you could use if you didn't like the offset sticks. Potentially even aftermarket/partner ones as well. Also they could release cosmetic alternatives similar to the limited-edition controllers we see in the console market.

Edit: It almost definitely uses Windows. Until Nintendo or Valve start licensing their OS's that's really the only option.

When the Switch copies, copy the copies.

XPqg3pKg.jpg

Okay this thing is abhorrent.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
Absolutely it is. I'm loving all the competition in this market at the moment. I hope the Windows team is working on a good front-end for small-screen gaming-oriented devices like this.

Detachable controllers lets you replace them easily if one is defective in any way. They could also potentially offer different controller layouts that you could use if you didn't like the offset sticks. Potentially even aftermarket/partner ones as well. Also they could release cosmetic alternatives similar to the limited-edition controllers we see in the console market.

Edit: It almost definitely uses Windows. Until Nintendo or Valve start licensing their OS's that's really the only option.

Okay this thing is abhorrent.
Detachable for that reason makes sense, but the switch always felt like I was going to break it if I held it in one hand.

Issue could have been eliminated by using hall effect sticks.

You're right, except arch linux is completely free and open source. They could just make their own custom distro.

Saber

Gold Member
It literally looks like a Switch clone. It doesn't look that ugly though.
What surprises me is why nobody cares about making a good d-pad...

Last edited:

Comandr

What a fuckin mess. The detachable controllers make sense for the switch because it comes with a dock that you already have set up to your tv. Then each joycon can act as a controller for multiplayer.

But who tf would choose to detach these.. LEG-CONs… and use them separately in lieu of a regular fuckin controller?

also am I nuts or do the controller back buttons appear to be asymmetrical? And on the sides under the palms? Jesus.

Vox Machina

Banned
What a fuckin mess. The detachable controllers make sense for the switch because it comes with a dock that you already have set up to your tv. Then each joycon can act as a controller for multiplayer.

But who tf would choose to detach these.. LEG-CONs… and use them separately in lieu of a regular fuckin controller?

also am I nuts or do the controller back buttons appear to be asymmetrical? And on the sides under the palms? Jesus.

Looks like the back buttons sit where your fingers would naturally be. I just hope they aren't too easy to click accidentally. I tried using the Xbox Elite controller with paddles and I was accidentally actuating them all the time. Had to switch to the Thrustmaster eSwap which has back buttons which are so, so much better.

Also, who actually uses the Switch JoyCons when their switch is docked either? Just buy the Switch Pro controller and enjoy a quadrillion times better experience.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Interesting setup. The right controller is kind of weird with a back button right in the center of the grip like that. Then there’s what look like a couple mouse function buttons on the side. I guess the wheel is like a mouse wheel for weapon selection or zoom?

It’s good they have the touchpad. I would have to go hands-on before I could comprehend what’s happening with that right controller.

Justin9mm

Yes, keep bringing out the handhelds, this will lead to better consumer pricing and competitive features and specs. Watch them all out do each other and then the consumer wins.

Last edited:

Klosshufvud

These handhelds in the end all live or die by their performance, battery life, screen and cooling quality. I personally don't see the point of detachable controls on a PC handheld. Unlike Switch, a PC handheld is generally not as intuitive to dock and undock like that. And the track pad is really only useful if it offers the tactile feedback Steam Deck has. Otherwise it's just what a laptop trackpad is.

Cyberpunkd

Awesome, more plastic waste is what we all need. Especially for a device that will be abandoned after a few years and where a given set of controllers is not compatible with the new iteration so they can sell you MORE plastic.

Im Tired Rebecca Wisocky GIF by CBS

nbcjr

Awesome, more plastic waste is what we all need. Especially for a device that will be abandoned after a few years and where a given set of controllers is not compatible with the new iteration so they can sell you MORE plastic.

Im Tired Rebecca Wisocky GIF by CBS
Quite the opposite, detachable controllers allow for extended life for the device.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I think it's funny people are calling this ugly, it's about as generic and safe design as you can have. What did you want, a perfect rectangle or a pink machine with green stripes? What exactly isn't "ugly".

Anyhow, it's great they are going with detachable controllers, and I for one welcome Lenovo to the fray, it will help with pricing overall on these devices. Lenovo very often ends up marking stuff down a lot.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
They could also potentially offer different controller layouts that you could use if you didn't like the offset sticks. Potentially even aftermarket/partner ones as well.
If this was offered by MS Surface, Apple, or something maybe. Being offered by Lenovo or ASUS or the like we can expect almost zero use in games (userbase is too small, there is no standard to work against) and little to no third party accessories for this controller (not sure Lenovo will actually make a lot of alternate controllers either).

Robb

Gold Member
Man, Nintendo really opened the floodgates for these kind of systems. Pretty cool. Reminds me of the Wii when everyone started doing motion controls (as a product these handhelds are a lot more interesting though).

Last edited:
Not that I actually know how a steamdeck feels but seems like it is the only handheld ever designed for bigger, non japanese baby hands. How the f would anyone with slightly bigger hands use that trackpad? Just move that right stick 1mm up and that track area 3-4mm and it would already make a huge difference. These micro PCs are anyway no slick small handheld for your trouser back pocket anymore. Use some extra space for ergonomics.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Not that I actually know how a steamdeck feels but seems like it is the only handheld ever designed for bigger, non japanese baby hands. How the f would anyone with slightly bigger hands use that trackpad? Just move that right stick 1mm up and that track area 3-4mm and it would already make a huge difference. These micro PCs are anyway no slick small handheld for your trouser back pocket anymore. Use some extra space for ergonomics.

Problem i have with the switch, its made for kids hands. as somebody with big hands its a pain to use.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Seeing the legacy it’s generating, the comments about the Switch being DOA keep getting funnier by the day even 6 years down the line.

Sony will never do something like this because their success relies too much on games that require a big hi-res screen to make them justice. Not to mention the ridiculous power a Sony handheld would need. But for less power-hungry games, it’s nice to see many people who were previously scorning handhelds finally warming up to the idea. The indie scene blowing up surely contributed to this, and these handhelds can also run some bigger games with some compromises.

This Lenovo one looks up to the job. In the end the hard part is to nail the right ratio between performance, battery, features and price. I guess anything below $600 is out of the question, but $1000 is too much to ask.

99% chance you won't be able to buy this unless you're in China

Lenovo's gaming phones and tablets have never made it out of China, you probably don't even know they exist

Top Bottom