• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leaked Images reveal Lenovo's Steam Deck Competitor

supernova8

Banned
JMMIKbl.jpg

Why would you fucking put buttons there?!

Gordon Ramsey Idiot GIF

(also look you can see Gordon's little smile right at the end)

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Sony will never do something like this because their success relies too much on games that require a big hi-res screen to make them justice. Not to mention the ridiculous power a Sony handheld would need. But for less power-hungry games, it’s nice to see many people who were previously scorning handhelds finally warming up to the idea. The indie scene blowing up surely contributed to this, and these handhelds can also run some bigger games with some compromises.

Eh? A typical ARM powered Sony handheld wouldn’t be more powerful than these RDNA3 handhelds.

Power is certainly not the issue

Sethbacca

What's up with the buttons where your hands are going to rest? I'm predicting a lot of people complaining about unintentional button presses, just a weird design choice there.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Not sure if I like the detachable controllers. Why did they do that? It doesn't look like you can turn them into two separate controllers like on the Nintendo Switch. It just adds another weak link to the system.

Klosshufvud

Man, Nintendo really opened the floodgates for these kind of systems. Pretty cool. Reminds me of the Wii when everyone started doing motion controls (as a product these handhelds are a lot more interesting though).
Nintendo? These UMPCs have existed a long time. But I would say the recent floodgate opening is due to highly performant AMD APUs that allow gaming at very low TDPs. If not for that, we would still be using Intel HD x0000 which is extremely useless. But agreed that the detachable controllers themselves are inspired by Switch.

Robb

Gold Member
But agreed that the detachable controllers themselves are inspired by Switch.
The entire design language on most of the new ones are very similar to Switch as well imo. This model especially though with the controller as well as the kickstand on the back. We used to get stuff like this:
61rpUV9K+tL.jpg

Or versions where they felt like they had to include an entire miniature keyboard.

Klosshufvud

The entire design language on most of the new ones are very similar to Switch as well imo. This model especially though with the controller as well as the kickstand on the back. We used to get stuff like this:

Or versions where they felt like they had to include an entire miniature keyboard.
That's true enough. The Switch did popularize a certain handheld design language that seems more and more becoming standard.

X-Wing

Shipped with Windows means wasted hardware resources in the OS instead of the games as well as a higher price tag. But nice try.

Ozriel

M$FT
What's ugly about it?
Excuse Me What GIF by Bounce

Yeah, I don’t see it either.

The Deck's competitors all kinda look the same.

How much visual variety are you expecting to see from ‘display with controllers on both sides’?

Shipped with Windows means wasted hardware resources in the OS instead of the games as well as a higher price tag. But nice try.

Windows still remains free for devices with screen size under 9 inches. So the OS has nothing to do with the price tag.
Performance is largely a wash with SteamOS vs Windows. You’d know this if you dualbooted the SteamDeck.
Valve can afford to ship with razor thin margins since they make a crazy amount of money from Steam. Other OEMs aren’t that lucky and have to make decent profits from hardware sales only.

X-Wing

Windows still remains free for devices with screen size under 9 inches. So the OS has nothing to do with the price tag.
Performance is largely a wash with SteamOS vs Windows. You’d know this if you dualbooted the SteamDeck.
Valve can afford to ship with razor thin margins since they make a crazy amount of money from Steam. Other OEMs aren’t that lucky and have to make decent profits from hardware sales only.

Wasn’t talking about licenses but about higher end hardware to accommodate for the needs of a resource hogging OS.

How much visual variety are you expecting to see from ‘display with controllers on both sides’?
None. They all look like you'd expect.

Just hoped to maybe be positively surprised by something like six face buttons or a Nintendo- or Sega Saturn-quality dpad.

Apocryphon

Part of what makes the Steam a deck work is the gaming mode OS. Nothing else has come close to being as intuitive and fully featured. It’s good to have competition, but I’d just want to install Steam OS on all of these other machines 😂

Ozriel

M$FT
Wasn’t talking about licenses but about higher end hardware to accommodate for the needs of a resource hogging OS.

It’s the same AMD RDNA chipset they’d go with that any SteamOS/Linux handheld would use anyway. They aren’t going to make higher end hardware because of the OS, and the whole ‘resource hog’ thing is largely an urban myth.

Area61

Lenovo is trying hard to get into mobile gaming market. Hope they deliver when it comes to software support.

Klosshufvud

Yeah, I don’t see it either.

Wait, is W11 really free for these handheld devices? Would explain how the Chinese manufacturers can sell for so cheap (relative to laptops with similar specs)

Needlecrash

Yea..... I'm not fucking with Lenovo anymore, unless if you Chinese Spyware on your machine. They've been on the news about this multiple times and I stopped using their products. Buyer beware.

Last edited:
Top Bottom