• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Leaked] Silent Hill: Ascension Story Mode Possibility Scene (SDCC 2023 Footage)

GrayChild

Looks terrible. Holy fuck that writing. Hey, at least we got a tentacle scene (uWu).

Also, another new monster unveiled:

lYABhw2.jpg

Everything shown so far looks more like a cheap Hellraiser spinoff rather than Silent Hill.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I’m not feeling anything amazing about that footage. I think the dream team left Konami. What’s so scary about these two doing this spell or incantation? It looks kinda stupid. It’s so much drama. I realize it isn’t the core team. They allow anyone to write crap for SILENT HILL.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Looks terrible. Holy fuck that writing. Hey, at least we got a tentacle scene (uWu).

Also, another new monster unveiled:

lYABhw2.jpg

Everything shown so far looks more like a cheap Hellraiser spinoff rather than Silent Hill.

Exactly my reaction. Silent Hill is not Hellraiser, its grounded in psychology not Barker-esque fantasy horror.

Well, I often act critical of Capcom too for milking the RE games. But I don't know if I can really call this milking on Konami's part. More like, "Starved suckers will just accept anything at this point!"

Yeah. Everyone generally agrees that Team Silent being disbanded is what tarnished the franchise. The whole 'Konami screwing over Hideo Kojima' chaos definitely counts too, but people always seem to act like Hideo is the guy who made the series, when he didn't do much beyond putting out a well received concept demo.

I think he gets way too much praise.

Is Konami going to exile the series for another decade or so, if these games end up being colossal failures?

I mean, we were all sceptical last October when the showcase dropped, after years of radio silence. But we haven't had much in the way of news for the genuine games. Of which this isn't really one of them.

You just type out answers on the air, hoping to be noticed. Right?

The thing that was good about Silent Hill -

Walking around a creepy abandoned foggy place at night with the sound of radio static as your only warning something horrible was near.

That’s it.

This insistence on story with dramatic cut scenes is fucking hilarious.
and that is why they didn't sold. is tough

Apparently, the remake of 2 is a total reimagining. But I get that.

Every old horror game is undergoing changes for their so-called remakes. It was a bit of a let down how RE2 and 3 had way too much cut content, and Capcom's RE Engine ain't the greatest. While 4 did have omitted things as well, it was very enjoyable. But I personally don't care for remakes in any franchises, as they aren't really new ideas. I'm also not a big fan of remasters, as it feels like companies are charging you twice for some little new features or enhanced graphics. Which really should be provided via a patch. Not something in an individual purchase, unless it's actually quite meaty, and therefore worth your while.

I don't know. It feels like a money grabbing tactic.

FunkMiller

Problem with Silent Hill is that a proper Silent Hill game is a pretty niche experience that doesn’t sell a shit load, because it’s a carefully crafted adult psychological horror game, and not Resident fucking Evil.

But Konami are greedy cunts, so there’s zero chance any of these Silent Hill games will be proper adult psychological horror, because there’s not enough money in it for them.

All of these are going to be unsubtle, in your face, b-movie horror crap.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Is Konami going to exile the series for another decade or so, if these games end up being colossal failures?

I mean, we were all sceptical last October when the showcase dropped, after years of radio silence. But we haven't had much in the way of news for the genuine games. Of which this isn't really one of them.

You just type out answers on the air, hoping to be noticed. Right?

With Metal Gear and Silent hill, it seems evident that Konami want to deep their toes further back into the gaming waters but are throwing as many low cost ideas at the wall to see what sticks which shows a lack of confidence on their part. Silent Hill didn't need five projects announced and they would have been better served taking that money and focuses on a project or two (a game and a movie). When Blooper Team's services is your largest investment in an attempted revival of a beloved franchise, you've probably fucked up.

I think it’s about time for Silent Hill fans to split the timeline/entries, like Star Wars.

OG Trilogy = SH 1-3

SH4 = Rogue One

Prequels = SH Homecoming, SH DownPour, SH Shattered Memories

Sequels/Mandalorian/Rebels = Potentially what’s coming soon(Quality might be mixed, some good some bad).

This will hopefully help you guys not judge every game by SH 2 and 3 standards. For current day Konami it’s an impossible standard, and you will just make yourselves angry for no reason during every new release or announcement.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Okay, I'll bite.

The leaked video didn't look terrible. Writing is meh, but I expected that. But there were a couple effective things in there. Problem is knowing beforehand the franchise, developer, and basic layout of the game. This shit could have been cool in Random Spoopy Religious Game # 4582, but for Silent Hill?

The idea of Silent Hill is the idea of Silent Hill. Trying to incorporate other Horror [sic] styles or methodology into Silent Hill to "modernize it," or "streamline it," or "make it evolve as an IP," just don't work. Silent Hill and the fanbase at large know what they're there for. These nu-devs from circa Shattered Memories and on seemed to view the very framework of the franchise as wallpaper you could roll over any horror idea or gameplay style. If I wanted to play Resident Evil, or a rogue like, or Alan Wake, why would I play Silent Hill?

The moniker Silent Hill evokes very specific, personal, and nostalgic ideas and feelings in people. Evolution in nature isn't "a group of grazing Buffalo interbreed for six generations and come out as Sharks," It's a gradual, calculated process that must stem from the building blocks already there. For fuck's sake.

The moniker Silent Hill evokes very specific, personal, and nostalgic ideas and feelings in people. Evolution in nature isn't "a group of grazing Buffalo interbreed for six generations and come out as Sharks," It's a gradual, calculated process that must stem from the building blocks already there. For fuck's sake.
It’s never going to and that’s what Silent Hill fans will have to eventually accept. The creative minds who made the first 4 games were not given a chance to train protégés to work under current day Konami. Like you said yourself, the teams and games after SH4 have been simply borrowing imagery, sounds, characters, and designs from the past because they don’t understand the core and they don’t know what to do next. Pyramid head becoming a Jason-esque horror figure amongst almost all games is a great example.

It would be like losing the code for the original version of an old game and rebuilding the same exact game from scratch. It will feel familiar yet distant because something, even the littlest of details, is going to be lost.

We had a slight moment of major potential and a breath of fresh air with Kojima Productions and GDT, but his team’s internal disputes with Konami and Konami forcing their hand to exodus, quickly killed that dream.

From saying all of this, I think it’s healthier for people to either move on or separate the originals from the new and enjoy these for what they are instead of what everyone wants them to be.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
It’s never going to and that’s what Silent Hill fans will have to eventually accept. The creative minds who made the first 4 games were not given a chance to train protégés to work under current day Konami. Like you said yourself, the teams and games after SH4 have been simply borrowing imagery, sounds, characters, and designs from the past because they don’t understand the core and they don’t know what to do next. Pyramid head becoming a Jason-esque horror figure amongst almost all games is a great example.

It would be like losing the code for the original version of an old game and rebuilding the same exact game from scratch. It will feel familiar yet distant because something, even the littlest of details, is going to be lost.

We had a slight moment of major potential and a breath of fresh air with Kojima Productions and GDT, but his team’s internal disputes with Konami and Konami forcing their hand to exodus, quickly killed that dream.

From saying all of this, I think it’s healthier for people to either move on or separate the originals from the new and enjoy these for what they are instead of what everyone wants them to be.

I go on a case by case basis. In this case, it just doesn't have the same vibe. I'm not liking this, specifically from a Silent Hill bent. I'm not usually one to promote the whole "fans decide what franchise is, creators be damned," but here, it is what it is to me. Silent Hill was the initial Trilogy for me. It's not even a Team Silent fan wank, I think SH4 is largely awful. But it's a very mid budget, strung together lovechild of a small team of creatives and I think for a series so engrained in it's own lore and legacy and ambience, that identity is IMPORTANT.

I don't think any production from 1999 to current day is outright garbage, I do appreciate the titles for what they are. Origins was a faithful replication of the Silent Hill formula, but very transparent about that fact. Shattered Memories had an interesting concept. If you could luck into a configuration that ran above 10fps, the combat in Homecoming could be fun. Downpour had a really cool town and exploration, barring the brick shithouse bullet sponge enemies that spawn every 15 feet you walk. I appreciate it for what it is, but I lament what it isn't.

Some of these ideas and scenarios, art, music, talent - some of that could go into new IPs, rather then send them out to die to a fan base that is beyond critical. I don't know. I'm not losing sleep or screaming into the heavens, but I figured I'd elaborate a little.

I go on a case by case basis. In this case, it just doesn't have the same vibe. I'm not liking this, specifically from a Silent Hill bent. I'm not usually one to promote the whole "fans decide what franchise is, creators be damned," but here, it is what it is to me. Silent Hill was the initial Trilogy for me. It's not even a Team Silent fan wank, I think SH4 is largely awful. But it's a very mid budget, strung together lovechild of a small team of creatives and I think for a series so engrained in it's own lore and legacy and ambience, that identity is IMPORTANT.

I don't think any production from 1999 to current day is outright garbage, I do appreciate the titles for what they are. Origins was a faithful replication of the Silent Hill formula, but very transparent about that fact. Shattered Memories had an interesting concept. If you could luck into a configuration that ran above 10fps, the combat in Homecoming could be fun. Downpour had a really cool town and exploration, barring the brick shithouse bullet sponge enemies that spawn every 15 feet you walk. I appreciate it for what it is, but I lament what it isn't.

Some of these ideas and scenarios, art, music, talent - some of that could go into new IPs, rather then send them out to die to a fan base that is beyond critical. I don't know. I'm not losing sleep or screaming into the heavens, but I figured I'd elaborate a little.
This is a great post. I just about fully agree with the second and third parts of it. At the same time, I’d like to put you in the following situation: let’s say you’re Konami.

Your company’s image is publicly tarnished. You’re sitting on a goldmine of I.P. and you’re wanting to slowly come back to video games, but not by being arrogant and instead by being humble. Over time you release some low budget sports and bomberman games, game collections…Contra, Castlevania, etc. You start seeing money coming in. You realize these I.P., especially the collections, have some merit and life in them. There’s a flicker of hope. A chance to garner fans again. They still have love for your I.P.

You decide to take a chance. Spending money to make money. Let’s bring two of our most popular I.P., SH, and MGS, back into the limelight. You have now been given the green light to not only make remakes for both, but potentially make new entries as well. Again, your back is still against the wall and you are tasked to make the company AAA-level profit(so don’t take the easy answer here and just say “don’t make them”). Also, there’s no chance of the original creators of either I.P. are returning.

What would you do?

Last edited:
I think it’s about time for Silent Hill fans to split the timeline/entries, like Star Wars.

OG Trilogy = SH 1-3

SH4 = Rogue One

Prequels = SH Homecoming, SH DownPour, SH Shattered Memories

Sequels/Mandalorian/Rebels = Potentially what’s coming soon(Quality might be mixed, some good some bad).

This will hopefully help you guys not judge every game by SH 2 and 3 standards. For current day Konami it’s an impossible standard, and you will just make yourselves angry for no reason during every new release or announcement.
Book of Memories is Star Wars Holiday Special, but what are the Ewok movies equal too?

This is a great post. I just about fully agree with the second and third parts of it. At the same time, I’d like to put you in the following situation: let’s say you’re Konami.

Your company’s image is publicly tarnished. You’re sitting on a goldmine of I.P. and you’re wanting to slowly come back to video games, but not by being arrogant and instead by being humble. Over time you release some low budget sports and bomberman games, game collections…Contra, Castlevania, etc. You start seeing money coming in. You realize these I.P., especially the collections, have some merit and life in them. There’s a flicker of hope. A chance to garner fans again. They still have love for your I.P.

You decide to take a chance. Spending money to make money. Let’s bring two of our most popular I.P., SH, and MGS, back into the limelight. You have now been given the green light to not only make remakes for both, but potentially make new entries as well. Again, your back is still against the wall and you are tasked to make the company AAA-level profit(so don’t take the easy answer here and just say “don’t make them”). Also, there’s no chance of the original creators of either I.P. are returning.

What would you do?
Anybody expecting this that isn't Call of Duty or a GTA game need to get a reality check. You're literally asking for a miracle here and that poor sod who can't even get himself out "against the wall" will somehow pull this off?

Anybody expecting this that isn't Call of Duty or a GTA game need to get a reality check. You're literally asking for a miracle here and that poor sod who can't even get himself out "against the wall" will somehow pull this off?
I think a better, more realistic AAA comparison would be RE 2 Remake and RE 7 sales, rather than the two mega behemoths you’ve listed.

I didn’t mention anything about CoD or GTA, as it would be foolish to do so.

I think a better, more realistic AAA comparison would be RE 2 Remake and RE 7 sales, rather than the two mega behemoths you’ve listed.

I didn’t mention anything about CoD or GTA, as it would be foolish to do so.
The moment you said "AAA-profit", all bets are off. It doesn't matter if it's RE or Call of Duty. To expect that kind of success from a niche product says more about the company than the developer is supposed to make it. If they truly want that kind success, just close up shop and buy the Activision stock and sit back.

Top Bottom