• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leaked Xbox controller "changes color with light and motion"

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

A new Xbox Series X controller has seemingly been leaked via Amazon.

Earlier today on September 30, the Twitter user below stumbled upon a brand new Xbox controller on Amazon, dubbed "Lunar Shift." This controller isn't actually listed on Amazon at the time of writing, so we're left to speculate as to how the user actually managed to uncover the new controller.

Otherwise, this looks like the real deal. In a follow-up tweet(opens in new tab), the Twitter user also provides a screenshot of the back of the new Xbox controller's packaging, which proves to be identical to the packaging you'd normally get with a standard Xbox controller.

The "Lunar Shift" color of the controller means that it apparently "changes color with light and motion," according to the back of the packaging. Adorned with a swirled textured grip on the side, this would be one of the fancier Xbox controllers out there, if it didn't look so darn shimmery.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Sunglasses Chameleon GIF

T-Cake

I loved the tweet the other day from Xbox where they had a green controller and overlaid video on to it. It looked incredible, not sure what purpose it would actually serve in a game if the controller was able to play video or something though.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

I loved the tweet the other day from Xbox where they had a green controller and overlaid video on to it. It looked incredible, not sure what purpose it would actually serve in a game if the controller was able to play video or something though.

A streamer using a classic green screen could have some fun with that. I'm sure someone will try it now.

Fbh

Ah yes because the one thing everyone does when gaming is looking at their controller

I wish controller makers would spent half the money and time they do on colors in making them more reliable.

"Sorry sir but then you could just have one controller for the entire gen and we wouldn't really want that. Shitty build quality and lots of fun designs is the way to go!"

Sounds very gimmicky.

I want better feedback/vibration, more precise, more reliable, more games to use it to full capacity, something like adaptive triggers, better build quality and longevity.

Light's just light and won't change anything for me when being focused on the game.
Xbox design lab does well because fans like flavors. Acting like different colors takes away from resources into reliability is silly.

Patrick S.

Banned
Sounds very gimmicky.

I want better feedback/vibration, more precise, more reliable, more games to use it to full capacity, something like adaptive triggers, better build quality and longevity.

Light's just light and won't change anything for me when being focused on the game.
That thing doesn't light up, it's just colour flip paint, like Standox Catalunya Splash, which us car guys grew tired of fifteen years ago :messenger_grinning_squinting:

jaysius

Banned
Aqua Shift also claimed the exact same thing, it didn’t shimmer in the light though.

I had to return mine because the headphone jack was busted out of the box(high static in one ear of headphones no matter what headphones or Xbox or pc). and due to it’s “limited edition“ nature.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Ever played any 1st party Nintendo games with gyro? Or Neon White, or Doom? The PS4 gyro isn't the best but gravity rush 2 was decent.

The most experience I've had is with Days Gone's Gyro aiming but I guess it wasn't one of the best implementations in the first place.

If I’m Microsoft I put my faith in games first not controllers.

The hardware design lab and the game development have nothing to do with each other.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Ever played any 1st party Nintendo games with gyro? Or Neon White, or Doom? The PS4 gyro isn't the best but gravity rush 2 was decent.
I mainly use the gyro for faster typing in the group chats, lol.

But I also notice the gyro is majorly improved in the DualSense compared to the DS4. It feels more accurate and responsive.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Play deathloop on xbox. You'll see that theres no rush to include haptics because rumble can recreate 75% of what it has to offer. The 25% it's missing are the more minimal vibrations that you experience in smaller doses.
Then there are features in Returnal and GT7 that stands far above that. I wasn’t that impressed with the haptics and triggers over standard rumble until playing those two games with those features.

b0uncyfr0

Instead of releasing different colours - you'd think MS would rather focus on QC for the Elite 2. Its still crap.

We dont need more colours ffs, there's the design lab to build your own.

Last edited:

midnightAI

yeh, thats called colour shift paint (or chameleon paint, or pearlescent paint)
you can do it yourself with aerosols, unfortunately its been done to death on cars and looks pretty horrid most of the time if you ask me

Top Bottom