• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Learning Japanese |OT2| Love in the Time of コロナちゃん

theworkflow

Banned
Aug 3, 2020
I am new here but I would like to learn Japanese. Anybody here to help me. I would like to grab learning material like books, or handouts

Shaqazooloo

Nov 3, 2018
Canada
Started learning some Japanese about a week or two ago, I've only done Hiragana so far and finishing Katakana. I'm gonna try and memorize the characters for a little bit because theirs a few I keep forgetting then ill move on to Kanji. Haven't tried learning actual words though, I figure its best to get familiar with the characters first.

Hal.

Jan 22, 2020
I am new here but I would like to learn Japanese. Anybody here to help me. I would like to grab learning material like books, or handouts

Started learning some Japanese about a week or two ago, I've only done Hiragana so far and finishing Katakana. I'm gonna try and memorize the characters for a little bit because theirs a few I keep forgetting then ill move on to Kanji. Haven't tried learning actual words though, I figure its best to get familiar with the characters first.

Welcome, grasshoppers. I think I put some angry no bs learning Japanese guides earlier on in the thread. Would recommend starting there!

Reactions: Shaqazooloo

Lethal01

Jun 15, 2019
For learning pure vocab strarting pretty much anywhere is fine when you are just starting, especially for nouns. It's honestly near impossible to fuck up teaching that in means dog or neko means cat.

One you know about a hundred in a week or two. I say just start reading stuff online get a add on for your browser that translates things on mouse over. Or watching Japanese media that has Japanese subtitles to look up. Obviously make sure you pause and understand 90% of what's being said. No such thing as just soaking the language in.

For grammar, I really don't think there are options better than this video series... You will have to deal with a very rough sounding voice from the teacher and an ugly anime avatar, but it's far better than reading some of the nonsense BS you see in many textbooks or online guides. Force yourself through it and get it over with.

Keep listening and reading content you're actually interested in while looking up meanings and using a custom anki deck for words you think you need help to memorize.

Nothing else to it, it's a two-step process.
Watch that series to quickly learn the structure, then learn all your Japanese by actually needing it to understand the things you are interacting with.

Last edited:

mango drank

May 12, 2009
I can't tell whether learning to write out kanji makes a difference in remembering them, in the long run. Last year, whenever I'd learn a new kanji, I'd learn to write it out, stroke order and everything. Occasionally I'd write out a bunch of random kanji from memory, for practice. It was useful for remembering them. Maybe stroke order doesn't matter, but cementing what radicals make up each kanji was a huge help.

I took a long break from learning Japanese, but lately I've been getting back into it. I noticed I've forgotten how to write tons of the kanji I learned last year. I can still recognize them when I'm studying for the most part, but that's because of context, and because I know that I'm reviewing old material. But if I were to see some of these out in the wild, I wouldn't be sure whether I was seeing the kanji I'd already learned, or similar-but-different ones. Case in point: recently I saw 宛 somewhere, and I thought, "what does a bowl have to do with anything?" Then I looked it up, and realized the kanji I already knew for "bowl" was slightly different: 碗. Did I forget it just because I'd taken a long break from learning, and I would've forgotten it regardless? Or did learning to write it out last year end up making zero difference in terms of recall, in the end?

• Thoughtful

NahaNago

Aug 29, 2014
I guess I'll make my hundredth attempt at learning Japanese since I have plenty of time right now. I think I'll make a weekly goal and update on neogaf and maybe a personal blog. Starting out strong right off the bat? 300 vocab words by April 3rd and 50 kanji. Vocab will be a breeze since this isn't my first time but Kanji will be iffy. But hey not working right now so I've got time.

Porcile

Oct 23, 2012
I can't tell whether learning to write out kanji makes a difference in remembering them, in the long run. Last year, whenever I'd learn a new kanji, I'd learn to write it out, stroke order and everything. Occasionally I'd write out a bunch of random kanji from memory, for practice. It was useful for remembering them. Maybe stroke order doesn't matter, but cementing what radicals make up each kanji was a huge help.

I took a long break from learning Japanese, but lately I've been getting back into it. I noticed I've forgotten how to write tons of the kanji I learned last year. I can still recognize them when I'm studying for the most part, but that's because of context, and because I know that I'm reviewing old material. But if I were to see some of these out in the wild, I wouldn't be sure whether I was seeing the kanji I'd already learned, or similar-but-different ones. Case in point: recently I saw 宛 somewhere, and I thought, "what does a bowl have to do with anything?" Then I looked it up, and realized the kanji I already knew for "bowl" was slightly different: 碗. Did I forget it just because I'd taken a long break from learning, and I would've forgotten it regardless? Or did learning to write it out last year end up making zero difference in terms of recall, in the end?

Yes, it is extremely useful and productive to know how to write kanji. If you can write kanji you will be able to read people's handwriting much more easily, you will remember vocabulary more easily, you will not have have the same recognition problems when reading similar kanji, and believe it or not you will be able to write Japanese by hand. It is also not difficult to learn how to write since the base radicals get used over and over. Admittedly I am not great at writing off the top of my head, but show me any kanji I can probably write it with correct stroke order.

Shaqazooloo

Nov 3, 2018
Canada
Any advice on learning kanji? I feel learning the radicals isn't super helpful but it seems like it's the best way? I've been off and on with it trying to figure out how I should do it.

Any video or lesson recommendations?

kamkamkam

Jan 11, 2021
Any advice on learning kanji? I feel learning the radicals isn't super helpful but it seems like it's the best way? I've been off and on with it trying to figure out how I should do it.

Any video or lesson recommendations?

NahaNago

Aug 29, 2014
welp failed my challenge but I only studied for like 5 hours for the whole week. Almost learned all of the kanji but the vocab portion never even touched. Next weeks goal is to double the numbers. So 100 kanji and 600 vocab. I'm not worried about the vocab that much but the kanji will require a good amount of study time. Plus that 5 hours I did study was very distracted studying so I should be able to do a lot more if I focus.

Shaqazooloo

Nov 3, 2018
Canada
I think I've been making decent progress, still having trouble with Kanji but I've been learning words and trying to get an understanding of the Grammer.

Finally got around to downloading Anki to try and learn some Kanji as well as some other apps that might help.

Are their any podcasts that can help me with vocabulary and Grammer?

NahaNago

Aug 29, 2014
Still studying... I've figured that using my ipad japanese vocab app wasn't as effective as I would have liked so I went back to my hand written vocab cards. Making those cards take so much time to do especially when I'm trying to be as quick as possible. But I can go front or back on the cards when review and it is easier to focus on words I'm having more difficulty with. I still haven't touched any kanji though. I'm saving that for a month or 2 from now and focusing on vocab and relearning hiragana and katakana.

I really should try and make vocab cards for Japanese music and tv shows. (problem is the only Japanese thing I've been immersed in is godzilla movies :messenger_tears_of_joy: )

Shaqazooloo

Nov 3, 2018
Canada
Still learning bit by bit. Been listening to some Japanese content and can recognize some words or gist of a sentence. Need a bit of time to process what native speakers are saying but feels good to be able to notice words that I know.

Reactions: NahaNago and EDMIX

NahaNago

Aug 29, 2014
I fell off again but recently started studying again. I think I'll make my goal for this month to know 3,000 words and 300 kanji. The words shouldn't be that hard since I already know quite a bit and I'm simply reviewing and confirming what I've already learned.

Porcile

Oct 23, 2012
Why'd Zefah delete his account? Was a reasonable guy all things considered and damn good at the nihongo too.

NahaNago

Aug 29, 2014
I'm failing at my goal for this month :messenger_loudly_crying: . I'm working a lot more these days. I'm still attacking kanji but my vocab studies have been pretty much dead.

• Empathy

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2018
Slowly working my way through Hiragana. Been super lazy about studying it. Trying to be able to write everything by hand as my end-goal and a few of them I keep forgetting. Got the baseline, K, S, T, and N down pat now. Going to try and smack my head against this wall until I have them all memorized by hand by the end of the month.

Also trying to remember at least one Kanji a day.

• Strength