• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO City Undercover |OT| This city has no ports

Cosmozone

Game came out in Japan like a couple of hours ago. Hope it gains some friends there!

You know what that means for Miiverse:
jplc2uuuy7.png

jplc1d3uky.png

I hope there will be more soon.

Hey J-GAF,
Did anyone buy this today? I've been waiting patiently for it and I just need to know if you can set the spoken dialog to English.
stealth Miiverse praise

I asked this question twice on GAF and no one seems to know, which is fine of course, so I googled around and still couldn't find the answer. But then I had an a-ha! moment and went on Miiverse. Ten minutes after posting my question I got the answer. NO English audio in the Japanese version. Word on the street (er, Miiverse) is that it is an excellent localization job by Nintendo so I still might give the J-version a shot. It's just I heard such good things about the English script that I wanted to hear it for myself. ::sigh:: C'est la vie.

mujun

Hey J-GAF,
Did anyone buy this today? I've been waiting patiently for it and I just need to know if you can set the spoken dialog to English.
stealth Miiverse praise

I asked this question twice on GAF and no one seems to know, which is fine of course, so I googled around and still couldn't find the answer. But then I had an a-ha! moment and went on Miiverse. Ten minutes after posting my question I got the answer. NO English audio in the Japanese version. Word on the street (er, Miiverse) is that it is an excellent localization job by Nintendo so I still might give the J-version a shot. It's just I heard such good things about the English script that I wanted to hear it for myself. ::sigh:: C'est la vie.

All Japanese unfortunately.

This is just another Lego game. I'm disappointed with it though I am persevering and will complete it (only the 2nd of like 7 or 8 Lego games that I've completed).

I was hoping for an open world game with a Lego coat of paint, not the opposite. Same boring enclosed levels with tedious activities to go through one by one until you finish up.

Mediocre as an open world game to boot which is a bummer as an open world game fan.

Mediocre as an open world game to boot which is a bummer as an open world game fan.

Really? The amount of variety in the environment and things to do in the open world were quite well done in my opinion, and the open world was much more than just a hub, like it's in some games. I understand the lack of variety in Lego games is a problem, luckily Lego City was the first Lego game for me, so I enjoyed it quite a lot.

mujun

Really? The amount of variety in the environment and things to do in the open world were quite well done in my opinion, and the open world was much more than just a hub, like it's in some games. I understand the lack of variety in Lego games is a problem, luckily Lego City was the first Lego game for me, so I enjoyed it quite a lot.

I'll admit I didn't try out much of the side stuff but it was because the main game made me tire of it so quickly. The bad combat and mediocre at best driving exacerbated the problem.

Is there any stuff to do that avoids the stuff you spend your time doing during the bulk of the main missions?

CoolS

Finally sat down today and finish this.

And boy, you guys were not kidding about the last mission. Felt really amazing and indeed an epic ending to a great game that unfotunately far too few people will ever play.

I finished with 37.1% completion but I will certainly go back and explore the city some more. Not sure if I'll 100% it but I want to at least unlock all the red cubes.

Really great game. Anyone who likes open world and doesn't hate the Lego franchise should check this out. The only real negative are the loading times. Game still needs more love for its immense charme though.

Help me plz!!

I have unlocked many stuff in the Extras section of the pause menu, but I cannot access them whatsoever!!
What do I need to do?Are they available, only after the end game??

CoolS

Help me plz!!

I have unlocked many stuff in the Extras section of the pause menu, but I cannot access them whatsoever!!
What do I need to do?Are they available, only after the end game??

Have you bought them at the station? After that you can activate them in the pause menu normally.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Have you bought them at the station? After that you can activate them in the pause menu normally.
And just to be clear, it's in the basement of the police station.

Υου mean with Ellie?I had the impression that I could only purchase new costumes, while speaking to her...Maybe I didn't see something.
There are different places down there for you to buy stuff.

codhand

still playing this game, it is huge, im about 30%, still love it, still recommend it.

i hope the sales have legs. a sequel could be amazing.

definitely a game that gets better the more you play.

full of surprises.

MysticX

I do hope they can fix the driving aspect in the game, I mean wtf....it´s like steering a drunken cow!

still an awesome game!

codhand

speaks to the game that a major element could be so wonky, and the game itself still be so much fun

really hope it gets a sequel to iron out the driving, and load times.

still playing this game, it is huge, im about 30%, still love it, still recommend it.

i hope the sales have legs. a sequel could be amazing.

definitely a game that gets better the more you play.

full of surprises.
I have a feeling if anything we'll see the next one on 3DS just due to how well that one sold.

Which would be crazy. The Wii U version was clearly superior, even if the 3DS game was okay.
DOn't get me wrong, I completely agree, the 3DS version is neat but doesn't hold a candle to the Wii U version. The lack of voice acting hurts it hard as thats where alot of the charm comes from. Also the Chase Begins is very much a retread despite being a prequel.

If it had of tried to be its own things and not a less than version of the Wii U game I think it would have been more critically received. Also the fact it had all the same costumes to wear with the same abilities hurts it. But it really just felt like the same game minus the stuff that made the Wii U version really shine.

Sales comes down to the fact it was on the 3DS, I think because the Wii U version was getting alot of good buzz people were interested and as there are more 3DS's out there and hardly anyone has a Wii U, so the 3DS version sold the most.

codhand

the ending graphics in lego city? holy shit, i mean, i was l ike wow, no one will even see this spectacular display of wii u capabilities. been playing a lot of ps3/360 and PC on the living room setup, and that stacked up closer to PC than ps3/360

the ending graphics in lego city? holy shit, i mean, i was l ike wow, no one will even see this spectacular display of wii u capabilities. been playing a lot of ps3/360 and PC on the living room setup, and that stacked up closer to PC than ps3/360
Are you talking to the whole final stage of epicness?

I was watching a lets play of that again last night, and that final stage, with that music and everything, just the most amazing epic ending to a game I've played in a long time, and its a freaking Lego game. If I could wipe my mind of that moment and do it all again I would in a heart beat.

Really glad I stayed away from spoilers for that one.

I was watching a lets play of that again last night, and that final stage, with that music and everything, just the most amazing epic ending to a game I've played in a long time, and its a freaking Lego game. If I could wipe my mind of that moment and do it all again I would in a heart beat.

For real. That end is incredible.

I've even following this topic since release in anticipation for the day I finally get this game. (Unfortunately I STILL don't have a Wii U. -_-) I heard something about the final sequence being
In space, falling to Earth?
Not sure how much of that is true, but if it is, holy smokes.... Spoiled or not, my jaw will drop so hard that we'll need to hire a contractor to fix the hole in the floor!

codhand

I've even following this topic since release in anticipation for the day I finally get this game. (Unfortunately I STILL don't have a Wii U. -_-) I heard something about the final sequence being
Not sure how much of that is true, but if it is, holy smokes.... Spoiled or not, my jaw will drop so hard that we'll need to hire a contractor to fix the hole in the floor!

yes yes and yes,

It is and its amazing, heck its even more epic when you see it, words can not describe how amazing it is, even saying that its falling through space doesn't do it justice

Even watching it now, it just sends shivers up my spine. If I was a 9 year old kid playing this, that would be the most amazing thing I had ever seen.

I'm playing through the 3DS one at the moment and the more I play it, the more it saddens me. Really is just a cut down retread set before the events of the Wii U one. I really wish they hadn't of gone with the different costumes and just had Chase get different abilities and powers or something like that. I dunno just something to make it feel different.

Also the fog isn't a pain, but its just soo noticeable, kinda wish they had of made that part of the story or something, like maybe that was the grand plan of Rex to do large heists under the cover of this massive fog they had bought in or whatever.

Also smaller missions more designed for portable play.

Its a good game, but could have been a great one if only a few things had been done better.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Yes, the final mission in LCU is one of the most epic endings in videogames in recent years. It's really breathtaking and gorgeous. The whole
"boss" fight in space and all the different steps of the falling to earth are just incredible

codhand

the game looks noticeably sharper not just in the levels themselves, than the city, but also as the game goes on, the environments get really, really good loouking [/zoolander]

does that mean you 100%ed it, cause like that would be a spoilar too

congrats if you did, seems like it would take a looong time
Took me just shy of 50 hours to finish, would have had it done quicker if I just stuck to the story missions and then worried about exploring after that, but you really do get your monies worth out of it.

Finally got to beating the main Story Missions. Really, I enjoyed this game quite a bit. Going back now and trying to get 100% on everything. Does anyone have any tips for doing this in an efficient manner? I've started by picking up specific Red Bricks that I think will make things faster such as
Instant teleport, unlimited dynamite, super color gun, etc etc
and I'm trying to clear out entire areas 1-by-1, but besides that, any suggestions to make things go more smoothly? It's fun just exploring and I've so far not needed to use a guide or GameFAQs, but I'm sure sooner or later I'll get stuck trying to track something down.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Finally got to beating the main Story Missions. Really, I enjoyed this game quite a bit. Going back now and trying to get 100% on everything. Does anyone have any tips for doing this in an efficient manner? I've started by picking up specific Red Bricks that I think will make things faster such as
Instant teleport, unlimited dynamite, super color gun, etc etc
and I'm trying to clear out entire areas 1-by-1, but besides that, any suggestions to make things go more smoothly? It's fun just exploring and I've so far not needed to use a guide or GameFAQs, but I'm sure sooner or later I'll get stuck trying to track something down.
I never used a guide and never got stuck trying to track things down once I unlocked all of the scanner upgrades.

maxcriden

Hey, so just to sum up, GAFers seem to have been pretty thrilled with this game, right? The reviews are solid to very positive. I'm pretty interested in checking it out but I've tried Lego Star Wars and Lego Indiana Jones and I really did not care for the gameplay, it just didn't do anything for me. How does this compare, is it pretty similar?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Hey, so just to sum up, GAFers seem to have been pretty thrilled with this game, right? The reviews are solid to very positive. I'm pretty interested in checking it out but I've tried Lego Star Wars and Lego Indiana Jones and I really did not care for the gameplay, it just didn't do anything for me. How does this compare, is it pretty similar?

The best part of this game is the story and the movies references. At its core it's a lego game and plays like one. But there are tones of collectibles and an twisted and epic ending.

As a personal example, after I played this I picked up Lego Batman II and I hated it. But I would buy a LCU 2 day 0.

CoolS

I'd say i is a lot more varied the Star Wars or Indiana Jones, which were some of the first Lego game sif I remember correctly.

LEGO City has a fun story and a lot to do. However at it's core, it is still a LEGO game: destroying block, solving "puzzles", needing all outfits/characters to egt everything and jumping around. It's by no means a hard game.
So if you definitely cannot get yourself to play a LEGO game, it might be not for you. Otehrwise I'd say give it a chance, because I had great fun with this one on the WiiU (and I still have a lot left to collect) and its use of the Gamepad is great.

maxcriden

KingSnake and CoolS, thanks for the speedy responses! It does look like a fun game. I'd like to pay a lot less than what seems to be the best going price of $30 or so. It seems like a game that could be found for $20-$25. I guess I'll check the B/S/T thread. FWIW I just couldn't get into the other Lego game(s) I tried (thinking back it might have just been the demo for Indiana Jones on 360). It wasn't a bad game, it just didn't seem to have a lot to grab me, it really seemed like what you see is what you get and that was pretty much it. The fact that you're both saying there's a lot more to this game really piques my interest. Again, thanks for the impressions.

maxcriden

Okay, I managed to make a trade on the B/S/T thread and hope to have the game by the middle of next week! Looking forward to playing it and I will definitely post in here with my impressions once I've played it. Thanks for the recommendation all!

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Just got the game,and I have a question. Should I use this guide:

http://www.gamesradar.com/lego-city-undercover-chase-begins-red-brick-locations-guide/

... To try to get all the red bricks now at the beginning of the game, or wait until after the story is done if I want to unlock everything as easily as possible? Also are all the red bricks even accessible to me now?

I think it is much better to follow the story and get all the costumes before exploring the world, because without the costumes you are quite limited in what you can do and you must come back anyhow later.

Vast majority are not accessible until you finish most/all of the main campaign.

I think it is much better to follow the story and get all the costumes before exploring the world, because without the costumes you are quite limited in what you can do and you must come back anyhow later.
Ok thanks breddahs.

Loving the game so far, and Frank Honey is hilarious! But yikes, those load times...

Top Bottom