• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Letting Them Die: Parents Refuse Medical Help For Children in the Name of Christ

Status
Not open for further replies.

cameron

The Guardian:
The Followers of Christ is a religious sect that preaches faith healing in states such as Idaho, which offers a faith-based shield for felony crimes – despite alarming child mortality rates among these groups
Mariah Walton’s voice is quiet – her lungs have been wrecked by her illness, and her respirator doesn’t help. But her tone is resolute.

“Yes, I would like to see my parents prosecuted.”

Why?

“They deserve it.” She pauses. “And it might stop others.”

Mariah is 20 but she’s frail and permanently disabled. She has pulmonary hypertension and when she’s not bedridden, she has to carry an oxygen tank that allows her to breathe. At times, she has had screws in her bones to anchor her breathing device. She may soon have no option for a cure except a heart and lung transplant – an extremely risky procedure.

All this could have been prevented in her infancy by closing a small congenital hole in her heart. It could even have been successfully treated in later years, before irreversible damage was done. But Mariah’s parents were fundamentalist Mormons who went off the grid in northern Idaho in the 1990s and refused to take their children to doctors, believing that illnesses could be healed through faith and the power of prayer.

As she grew sicker and sicker, Mariah’s parents would pray over her and use alternative medicine. Until she finally left home two years ago, she did not have a social security number or a birth certificate.

Had they been in neighboring Oregon, her parents could have been booked for medical neglect. In Mariah’s case, as in scores of others of instances of preventible death among children in Idaho since the 1970s, laws exempt dogmatic faith healers from prosecution, and she and her sister recently took part in a panel discussion with lawmakers at the state capitol about the issue. Idaho is one of only six states that offer a faith-based shield for felony crimes such as manslaughter.
The shield laws that prevent prosecutions in Idaho are an artifact of the Nixon administration. High-profile child abuse cases in the 1960s led pediatricians and activists to push for laws that combatted it. In order to help states fund such programs, Congress passed the Child Abuse Prevention and Treatment Act (Capta), which Richard Nixon signed in 1974.

But there was a fateful catch due to the influence of Nixon advisers John Erlichman and J R Haldeman, both lifelong Christian Scientists.

Boston College history professor Alan Rogers explains how the men – later jailed for their role in the Watergate scandal – were themselves members of a faith-healing sect, and acted to prevent their co-religionists being charged with crimes of neglect.

“Because Erlichman and Haldeman were Christian Scientists, they had inserted into the law a provision that said those who believe that prayer is the only way to cure illness are exempted from this law,” he said.

They also ensure that states had to pass similar exemptions in order to access Capta funds. The federal requirement was later relaxed, but the resultant state laws have had to be painstakingly repealed one by one.
Next door, Idaho presents a polar opposition to Oregon. Republicans, who enjoy an effective permanent majority in the state house, are surprisingly reluctant to even consider reform. Last year, the governor’s Task Force on Children at Risk recommended change: “Religious freedoms must be protected; but vulnerable children must also be appropriately protected from unnecessary harm and death.” Democratic legislator John Gannon proposed a repeal bill which he “never thought would really be that controversial”.

The chairman of the senate health and welfare committee, Lee Heider, refused to even grant it a hearing, effectively killing it.
Brian Hoyt, who lives in Boise, grew up in the Followers of Christ church.

Hoyt is a fit 43, and lives in a well-scrubbed suburban neighborhood. He runs a successful window cleaning business that started with a squeegee mop and a bucket after his teenage escape from home left him with no cash and few educational opportunities. When I visited him, his house was being renovated – what was once a “barebones bachelor pad” now accommodates his partner and step-children. Slowly, Hoyt has developed the capacity for family life, after a life in the sect left him “unable to relate to families” for a long time. “I didn’t understand the concept,” he said.

He lost his faith around the age of five, when a baby died in his arms in the course of a failed healing. While elders prayed, Hoyt was in charge of removing its mucus with a suction device. He was told that the child died because of his own lack of faith. Something snapped, and he remembers thinking: “How can this possibly be God’s work?” His apostasy set up lifelong conflicts with his parents and church elders.

In just one incident, when he was 12, Hoyt broke his ankle during a wrestling tryout. “I ended up shattering two bones in my foot,” he said. His parents approached the situation with the usual Followers remedies – rubbing the injury with “rancid olive oil” and having him swig on Kosher wine.

Intermittently, they would have him attempt to walk. Each time, “my body would just go into shock and I would pass out”.

“I would wake up to my step-dad, my uncles and the other elders of the church kicking me and beating me, calling me a fag, because I didn’t have enough faith to let God come in and heal me, while my mom and my aunts were sitting there watching. And that’s called faith healing.”

He had so much time off with the untreated fracture that his school demanded a medical certificate to cover the absence. Forced to take him to a doctor, his mother spent most of the consultation accusing the doctor of being a pedophile.

He was given a cast and medication but immediately upon returning home, the medication was flushed down the toilet, leaving him with no pain relief. His second walking cast was cut off by male relatives at home with a circular saw.
Martin and Hoyt have both lobbied to change the laws, with Martin in particular devoting years of patient research to documenting deaths and other church activities. Hoyt has faced harassment online and at his home, and church members have even tried to undermine his business.

So far, their testimonies of abuse have not convinced Idaho’s Republican legislators. Senator Heider, for one, describes the Followers of Christ as “very nice people”.

Child advocate and author Janet Heimlich, who has campaigned against exemptions around the country, says that Heider told her before the legislative session began that “he would carry the bill” and helped with the production of a draft, but by the time the session began in October he indicated that no bill would be passed or even heard.

Heider’s repeated response to these claims was a welter of contradictions and bluster.

After telling the Guardian that no bill was lodged (John Gannon confirmed that he did, as was reported in local media in February) and that he had been told by the attorney general and the Canyon County prosecuting attorney that the laws did not need to change (both men deny saying this), Heider took refuge in the US constitution.

“Republicans didn’t feel the need to change the laws. We believe in the first amendment to the constitution. I don’t think that states have a right to interfere in religions.”

When pressed on the fact that children are dying unnecessarily as a result of exemptions, Heider makes an odd comparison.

“Are we going to stop Methodists from reading the New Testament? Are we going to stop Catholics receiving the sacraments? That’s what these people believe in. They spoke to me and pointed to a tremendous number of examples where Christ healed people in the New Testament.”

Heider blamed outsiders for stirring the pot on this issue, even challenging the Guardian’s right to take an interest in the story, asking “what difference does it make to you?” and adding “is the United States coming in and trying to change Idaho’s laws?” He confirmed that he attended a Followers of Christ service last year – a rare privilege for an outsider from a group that refuses to speak to reporters.
More in the link.

ApharmdX

Banned
This should be criminal in every single state. There's just no excuse. Children are helpless. As a parent, you do everything in your power to keep your kids safe and healthy.

Matsukaze

Shit like this makes my blood boil. These parents are scum and put their fairy tales before their own children. They belong behind bars.

when a baby died in his arms in the course of a failed healing. [..] He was told that the child died because of his own lack of faith.
How can anybody say with a straight face people doing this should not be in jail.

Don't want to treat your own illness? Fine. Be an idiot. But for kids who don't have the ability to make those decisions themselves, it should be a criminal act to allow this to happen.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
One of my best friends growing up was a Christian Scientist and while he was lucky and healthy, I remember when we were about 12 we were on the playground and he fell off a really tall slide and got knocked out. He had a pretty bad concussion and his parents got so furious when they found out the parents of a mutual friend had taken him to the hospital to get treatment. Not just pissed but they actually tried to press charges and sue them.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
These deluded parents should be prosecuted and their children taken away from them.

You cannot use religion, which is inherently one of the worst justifications for having a particular opinion, to justify child abuse. We need to lose patience with people who use religion and "deeply held beliefs" as a knockout argument for any kind of lunacy.

Branduil

I'm in favor of legally requiring the lawmakers who enable this to forgo all medical treatment for any illness or injury.

As a parent, the thought of a child not being provided proper medical attention makes me borderline violent.

I do believe that if anything like this were happening to a child I knew that I'd immediately contact local authorities. It's criminal at heart, negligence at best, with ignorance and irresponsibility all the way through.

Platy

I love how religious freedom and religious people are killing children because of course they are against abortion but heavenly cures is ok

What I never understood is how you go from "faith/prayer can heal" to "only faith/prayer can heal". It seems bizarre to think about the theological development of that position, surely they still use bandages for cuts and things like that.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
As a father of four and a Christian, these testimonies are infuriating to read.

Total child neglect. Absolute garbage that laws protect these people.

HvySky

He lost his faith around the age of five, when a baby died in his arms in the course of a failed healing. While elders prayed, Hoyt was in charge of removing its mucus with a suction device. He was told that the child died because of his own lack of faith.

To put your own beliefs, lack thereof, etc. before a child's life, only to blame said child when they die as a result of your actions...

I don't even know.

SeanC

I couldn't read it, just the thread title alone infuriates me and tells me everything I need to know about awful people like this.

He lost his faith around the age of five, when a baby died in his arms in the course of a failed healing. While elders prayed, Hoyt was in charge of removing its mucus with a suction device. He was told that the child died because of his own lack of faith. Something snapped, and he remembers thinking: “How can this possibly be God’s work?” His apostasy set up lifelong conflicts with his parents and church elders.

Scratch the word "borderline" from my previous post. Saying something like that to a child is beyond reproach in my eyes.

Griss

This subject gets me too angry.

Can't say any more than this, I'd be incoherent.

EDIT: Wait, I will say one thing. Can you imagine the outrage if it was 'faith' justifying sexual abuse? I mean, you don't have to imagine it, we lived through that disgusting scandal. But what is it with our society that if someone fondles a kid, they deserve to die and you'll get months of breathless press coverage, but scores of kids being left to die or become disabled from curable diseases flies under the radar and is met with a 'huh, that's terrible' shrug? How is that kind of disconnect even fucking possible?

GAH

Hollycat

I felt a little sick reading this. I knew this was a thing, but not that it was even remotely this bad.

I hope they change the law quickly.

Children should not be forced to be beholden to their parents religion.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
What I never understood is how you go from "faith/prayer can heal" to "only faith/prayer can heal". It seems bizarre to think about the theological development of that position, surely they still use bandages for cuts and things like that.

The part of this thinking that really falls apart to me is that if you want God to be the one to heal your children and God created the world and the universe, isn't all the modern medicine, drugs, treatments, etc. just an extension of God's gift to us? By letting doctor's treat and heal your children, you are letting God do so through them. If anything by not letting your children get medical treatment you are spitting in God's eye by turning down the bounties and gifts he has provided them through other human beings.

Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, When it is in your power to do it. Do not say to your neighbor, "Go, and come back, And tomorrow I will give it," When you have it with you.…

Proverbs 3:27 - 28.

It's that simple. Medical science being able to ensure your children have better chances at long life is a pretty big thing to withhold from them when it's in the parents power to act.

gwailo

Banned
My dad follows this sort of belief. he also did crap like beat me with a paddle with Bible scriptures on it and refused to pay child support because his money had to be tithed to whatever whackjob church he was currently going to. I haven't talked to him in 20+ years and he will never be a part of my life.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
We inadvertently made some headstones for these people. This girl...
yqbLtnW.jpg

...Arrian Jade Granden, 15, contracted food poisoning and vomited for three days before her esophagus ruptured; she fell into cardiac arrest and later died.

I feel horrible that we worked with these inhuman fuckers.

GhaleonEB

This subject gets me too angry.

It's utterly infuriating.

If I said what I really feel about these people I'd probably have to ban myself.
We inadvertently made some headstones for these people. This girl, Arrian Jade Granden...
yqbLtnW.jpg

...Arrian Jade Granden, 15, contracted food poisoning and vomited for three days before her esophagus ruptured; she fell into cardiac arrest and later died.

I feel horrible that we worked with these inhuman fuckers.

Oh fuck that is horrible. :(

ElTorro

To be honest, the part that angers me the most is probably this here.

“Republicans didn’t feel the need to change the laws. We believe in the first amendment to the constitution. I don’t think that states have a right to interfere in religions.”

When pressed on the fact that children are dying unnecessarily as a result of exemptions, Heider makes an odd comparison.

“Are we going to stop Methodists from reading the New Testament? Are we going to stop Catholics receiving the sacraments? That’s what these people believe in. They spoke to me and pointed to a tremendous number of examples where Christ healed people in the New Testament.”

You expect deluded idiots to have insane views, but to defend them even if you do not share their views is maybe even worse. It should be the duty of saner people to stop the deluded ones from hurting their children.

Maxim726X

Amazing how mental gymnastics somehow excuses what is quite obviously child abuse...

If I were to beat the shit out of my child and claim that a holy book told me to do it, would I be allowed to?

No. Same principle should be adhered to in this case.

Anion

Yeah I'm legitimately pissed. I heard a lot of this and it's too damn sad and aggravating.

Anyone knowledgable on the subject and politics know if there is any movement and hope for improvement there?

Leunam

Proverbs 3:27 - 28.

It's that simple. Medical science being able to ensure your children have better chances at long life is a pretty big thing to withhold from them when it's in the parents power to act.

In their minds they are acting. They aren't withholding prayer, and that's all they think they need.

The part of this thinking that really falls apart to me is that if you want God to be the one to heal your children and God created the world and the universe, isn't all the modern medicine, drugs, treatments, etc. just an extension of God's gift to us? By letting doctor's treat and heal your children, you are letting God do so through them. If anything by not letting your children get medical treatment you are spitting in God's eye by turning down the bounties and gifts he has provided them through other human beings.

"No you see our clothes, homes, fire, toilet paper, notebooks, cooked food, cars; all of those are blessings from God that appear out of nothing specially made for us. That devilish "medicine" is a abominable man-made tool of the devil."

Literally so much of their life passes through them and they settle on denying themselves the one thing that causes the most suffering to themselves.

Osahi

Cynical me would say: Darwin at it's best

Empathical me is just fuming with anger about so much stupidity

As a Christian myself, I find these people really irresponsible and naive, and rather unfit to be parents :(

As a great man once said "that's not how the force works!"

ElTorro

In their minds they are acting. They aren't withholding prayer, and that's all they think they need.

Some of them probably combine religious thinking with a general skepticism towards "modern medicine" and drugs. My mother is an example such idiocy. She refuses to to start a necessary medical treatment that would only last a few weeks, because she dislikes drugs and at the same time thinks that people are healed all the time through prayer and miracles.

That's what happens when you accept religious thinking as a valid method to make the right decisions. When you disconnect from reality, bad things will happen.

Tripolygon

Banned
This thread just came at the 'right' time. My neighbor's Son is sick and I asked if he's been taken to the doctor and she goes "god first and doctors second". And yes I live in the Bible belt.

This pissed me off. I was so tempted to take the boy to a hospital myself but i don't want to get arrested for taking someone else's kid. Or put her in a situation where she loses her kid, she seems like a hard working single mom. Religion just makes us very irrational creatures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom