• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Letting Them Die: Parents Refuse Medical Help For Children in the Name of Christ

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoryCubed

I cannot understand this. Even though I am a believer, I've never relied on faith based healing. One, Christ isn't even on our planet right now, so even if he's in our hearts, which I believe is figuratively, he's not here in the physical to heal. Most healings it seems in the new testment he touched the people.

God cannot be around sin, which is all around and in us, it's part of human nature. So because of this, you cannot expect him to heal and make the planet better, because even the bible says he creates a New Heaven and New Earth, and it makes sense when you see the world around us fall apart.

At the end of the day, as I believe it, in these situations, all you can do is have faith in God, that this is part of his plan, or at the very least, this is the series of events brought forth by the introduction of sin on this planet from the beginning, and only through trusting God are you offered a chance to escape this sin forever.

Or don't believe any of it. Please, get your kids to the Doctor regardless. If you want to have faith, have faith that God put them there to heal your child.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
I'll take the thoughts from my own thread:

How THE FUCK is this legal in 2016? How THE FUCK can these people run freely and KILL THEIR OWN CHILDREN and nothing is done in the name of "religious liberty"? How THE FUCK can these people be influential in politics.

This has to be close to the top of my list of things that make me ridiculously angry, probably just behind ISIS

Fuck these parents and fuck the republicans in charge who do nothing

_Ryo_

Shit like this is absolutely infuriating. Parents of such types should have their children taken away from them and be jailed.

Can't really say more without risking a ban but yeah, fuck parents like that.

Griss

Cynical me would say: Darwin at it's best

Empathical me is just fuming with anger about so much stupidity

Yes, because a child who has not had the time to reach the capacity to make intelligent decisions deserves to die because their parents are stupid.

Fantastic comment, fuckwit.

I first learned about this from an episode of Nip/Tuck of all things. I honestly didn't believe people could be so... combination of stupid/insane/evil/delusional until I saw an article a few months later.

Completely aghast, but deep down I'm kinda laughing over the law's roots being in the Nixon administration.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
How THE FUCK is this legal in 2016?

Idaho's legislature is very very religiously biased and I think they see any limits on religious freedom as something that could bite them in the ass. I don't think any of these people have any sway with the state legislature necessarily, as much as you have a governing body controlled largely by mormons, libertarians and tea partiers that will all defend these people for one reason or another.

Religion was the mistake.

No, the propensity to take religious themes to illogical conclusion is the problem. Christianity as it is normally practiced now boils down to "don't be a dick."

It might just be the percocet talking, but the problem is not religion. It is the people.

They must be cured.

hawk2025

This thread just came at the 'right' time. My neighbor's Son is sick and I asked if he's been taken to the doctor and she goes "god first and doctors second". And yes I live in the Bible belt.

This pissed me off. I was so tempted to take the boy to a hospital myself but i don't want to get arrested for taking someone else's kid. Or put her in a situation where she loses her kid, she seems like a hard working single mom. Religion just makes us very irrational creatures.

Talk to her a bit.

It may be a long shot, but perhaps she can listen to the approach "God works through doctors and all our wonderful advances are his gift", or something of the sort. Remind her about how hospitals have prayer rooms, etc. I hope it works.

My first contact with faith healing was a friend who had treatable spina bifida and his parents tried to faith heal it. He survived the faith healing, but I can't believe I even had room to hate it more after that.

Turns out I do.

Put me down as one of those that gets too angry over this subject to talk about it calmly.

The only time this isn't second degree murder is if the parents literally lived under a fucking rock their entire lives and knew nothing of modern medicine -- who literally thought it didn't work. Any parent, knowing of a medical procedure or drug that could possibly save their child's life or ease that child's suffering, who refuses that aid because of their own asinine religious convictions, is guilty of gross child abuse at best and knowingly killing that child at worst.

Fuck them, fuck their beliefs, and fuck any politician too stupid or cowardly to take a stand against them.

I think a potential weak spot in the religious protection argument could be that children don't have the mental and emotional capacity/understanding of what religion is to bed able to make an informed choice whether or not they want to participate in a religion.

Thus, the parents forcing anyone under 18 to be subjected to their own beliefs could be grounds for abuse.

mclem

He lost his faith around the age of five, when a baby died in his arms in the course of a failed healing. While elders prayed, Hoyt was in charge of removing its mucus with a suction device. He was told that the child died because of his own lack of faith.

Curious if 'his own lack of faith' is the child's or Hoyt's. The sentence can be parsed both ways.

That story of him holding the dying child in his arms destroyed me.

...at age five

Beyond being evil this has nothing to do with what the Bible or actual Christianity would ever recommend.

This is some kind of twisted interpretation that has nothing to do with the intent of the religion.

Osahi

Yes, because a child who has not had the time to reach the capacity to make intelligent decisions deserves to die because their parents are stupid.

Fantastic comment, fuckwit.

Have you actually read the second part of my post?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I'm not sure imprisoning these people necessarily serves much purpose, but their children certainly need to be taken away from them immediately. And their entire sect should be investigated by CPS.

The article was a little confusing -- there's actually two completely separate groups at play here. One is Mariah's family, which are part of a fundamentalist Mormon sect based in Idaho. The rest of the article talks about a church called the Followers of Christ who are a sort of Pentacostal break off based in Oregon.

Disgusting. Faith and prayer is not a replacement for medical practice. I believe in the efficacy of faith and prayer as part of the healing process, being a believer myself, but that's the absolute last (or before you begin procedure) thing you do when trying to resolve health issues. God gives them plenty, and in their holier-than-thou pride they bring themselves to destruction.

Jenov

Society really needs to fight against this sort of regressive stupidity. That law needs to be adjusted asap. The fact that a republican tries to defend it... puts them on par with ISIS level of thinking in how backwards it is.

Sciz

Jesus went around healing people who the doctors had already failed. Believe in the power of prayer all you want, but that doesn't preclude seeking out professional help.

Legal protection for this sort of negligence is absolute madness.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
No, the propensity to take religious themes to illogical conclusion is the problem. Christianity as it is normally practiced now boils down to "don't be a dick."

It might just be the percocet talking, but the problem is not religion. It is the people.

They must be cured.

I kind of agree but religion allows then the legitimacy to continue to justify their nonsense.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
The article was a little confusing -- there's actually two completely separate groups at play here. One is Mariah's family, which are part of a fundamentalist Mormon sect based in Idaho. The rest of the article talks about a church called the Followers of Christ who are a sort of Pentacostal break off based in Oregon.

Disgusting. Faith and prayer is not a replacement for medical practice. I believe in the efficacy of faith and prayer as part of the healing process, being a believer myself, but that's the absolute last (or before you begin procedure) thing you do when trying to resolve health issues. God gives them plenty, and in their holier-than-thou pride they bring themselves to destruction.

If I remember correctly, a lot of the Followers are now living just on the Idaho side of the Idaho-Oregon border for legal reasons. I could be wrong though.

shiba5

I'm so glad I have a parent who took off work today to pick me up some huge bandages because I stupidly peeled off my hospital dressing too soon after surgery. Of course, these fuckwits would have disowned me for having surgery in the first place.
Absolutely sickening that they're allowed to maim and murder their children in the name of religion.

I kind of agree but religion allows then the legitimacy to continue to justify their nonsense.

If not religion, then they'd use some other half-cocked justification to legitimize it. And it doesn't even need to be legitimized, it just needs to be what they earnestly believe.

They live in a world where empirical data is opinion and anecdote is fact. Religion and the lack thereof will not change it, just like data doesn't change their minds.

They are unfit to exist.

This makes me both depressed and really angry.

How many kids have died needlessly or suffered crippling injuries as a result of withholding medical treatment because of religious beliefs.

On the flipside we have my Grandmother (Dad's side) who is a lifelong devout Mormon and a big believer in the power of prayer. But whenever anyone in the family got sick or had an injury, she would waste no time in hauling ass to the hospital or doctor's office.

Lister

Banned
What I never understood is how you go from "faith/prayer can heal" to "only faith/prayer can heal". It seems bizarre to think about the theological development of that position, surely they still use bandages for cuts and things like that.

By following EXACTLY the same train of logic that got them to the first erroneous conclusion... that is to say NONE.

That's the issue with faith and belief and religion. Because there is no objectivity, or logic or reason that brought you to conclusion X, for some people it's just as easy to come to conclusion X + 1.

Religion is an anchor around humanity's neck, dragging us back as we try to claw our way out of the pit that is superstition and ignorance.

ShyMel

I cannot articulate what I think should happen to the adults withholding medical treatment such as this in a collected manner. For the children in these situations, I hope that they are able to get out of those abusive places. In regards to those who have lost their lifes due to this, I'm sorry that the people who should love you the most failed you and that the government refused to step in. Freedom of religion doesn't mean you can let your child die because faith will heal them of some illness.

collige

Banned
some irreligious people refuse to vaccinate their kids for reasons that are just as stupid

No they aren't. The anti-vaccine campaign is just a combination of over-protectiveness, paranoia, and general ignorance of how vaccination and herd immunity works. It's far more rational for someone to say "this disease is practically gone and everyone else is immune" than to say "God will heal literally every single disease and injury".

Savitar

I erupt into a red hot rage reading things like this, it's abuse. That's all it is. I would yank these kids from these people, and to hell with them because that's the only place they deserve. Each and every one that allows it.

aeolist

Banned
No they aren't. The anti-vaccine campaign is just a combination of over-protectiveness, paranoia, and general ignorance of how vaccination and herd immunity works. It's far more rational for someone to say "this disease is practically gone and everyone else is immune" than to say "God will heal literally every single disease and injury".
the effect is the same. they're ignoring the medical and scientific consensus for irrational reasons, while kids are getting sick and dying.

in terms of scale anti-vaxxers are probably worse than these morons.

Lister

Banned
I can't imagine just sitting there watching my child die. It boggles the mind.

Worse perhaps are the stories like the one above, where these people are actually beating and abusing their children simply because reality is, yet again, showing them that faith healign doesn't work.

They'd rather beat their dying children than confront their delusions.

Lister

Banned
the effect is the same. they're ignoring the medical and scientific consensus for irrational reasons, while kids are getting sick and dying.

Well it's likely these morons are also anti-vaxxers.

Camwi

He lost his faith around the age of five, when a baby died in his arms in the course of a failed healing. While elders prayed, Hoyt was in charge of removing its mucus with a suction device. He was told that the child died because of his own lack of faith.

God that's hard for my brain to even process. Those fucking monsters.

collige

Banned

You didn't say the effect was the same, you said the people are "just as stupid" which simply isn't true.

aeolist

Banned
Well it's likely these morons are also anti-vaxxers.
well sure, but most anti-vaxxers aren't doing it for religious reasons

similarly, most religious people have no problem with medicine. blaming this on religion in general is missing the point, it's this particular ideology and its political support that's the problem.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
If not religion, then they'd use some other half-cocked justification to legitimize it. And it doesn't even need to be legitimized, it just needs to be what they earnestly believe.

They live in a world where empirical data is opinion and anecdote is fact. Religion and the lack thereof will not change it, just like data doesn't change their minds.

They are unfit to exist.

Please stop posting. You sound like a Facebook post.

aeolist

Banned
You didn't say the effect was the same, you said the people are "just as stupid" which simply isn't true.
i said their reasons are just as stupid. believing the mmr vaccine causes autism is as bad as thinking that god works through rancid oil to heal broken bones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom