• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Letting Them Die: Parents Refuse Medical Help For Children in the Name of Christ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do I get the feeling the people in that Jesus Camp movie are the same ones who probably would have no problems with this?

Shit pisses me off to no end. Those parents should be rotting in jail somewhere.

Air

Banned
I'll never understand how other Christian sects get this way. It's completely antithetical to the message of healing and support present in Christ's teachings.

Beartruck

Poor kids. I suppose the silver lining here is that if all of these bible thumpers keep killing their progeny, eventually there'll be no one left to practice their beliefs.

SRG01

well sure, but most anti-vaxxers aren't doing it for religious reasons

similarly, most religious people have no problem with medicine. blaming this on religion in general is missing the point, it's this particular ideology and its political support that's the problem.

100% correct. There are most definitely people out there -- religious or otherwise -- that subscribe to extremely dangerous, anti-medicine views. The difference is that this kind of behavior is curbed in other states (and/or countries) because it is a very real danger to public health; whereas in Idaho, this kind of behavior is protected because of political ideology.

I'll never understand how other Christian sects get this way. It's completely antithetical to the message of healing and support present in Christ's teachings.

My very devout friend and I had a good discussion on this very topic the other day. The only thing we concluded was that a lot of communities are becoming isolationist because of a perceived threat from society at large... which is strange, because Christians are supposed to spread the teachings and not become insular.

As a Christian, this is some of the most infuriating news I've read in a while. These people are literally piddling away the precious lives they are responsible for and believe they'll receive a "well done" when the road ends?

Innocents have to suffer because of these idiots.

Also

“I would wake up to my step-dad, my uncles and the other elders of the church kicking me and beating me, calling me a fag, because I didn’t have enough faith to let God come in and heal me, while my mom and my aunts were sitting there watching. And that’s called faith healing.”

But there was a fateful catch due to the influence of Nixon advisers John Erlichman and J R Haldeman, both lifelong Christian Scientists.

Boston College history professor Alan Rogers explains how the men – later jailed for their role in the Watergate scandal – were themselves members of a faith-healing sect, and acted to prevent their co-religionists being charged with crimes of neglect.

He lost his faith around the age of five, when a baby died in his arms in the course of a failed healing. While elders prayed, Hoyt was in charge of removing its mucus with a suction device. He was told that the child died because of his own lack of faith.

These aren't religious people. These are fanatical, abusive, mentally incompetent, and morally reprehensible people. They need jail and stiff repercussions.

YourMaster

Poor kids. I suppose the silver lining here is that if all of these bible thumpers keep killing their progeny, eventually there'll be no one left to practice their beliefs.

It's easy enough to make more kids than you can lose through sickness, even enough to out-breed the population at large. It's one of the reasons why religion is still thriving.

Downhome

I was hoping this was going to be a documentary on this subject and was ready to sit down for a watch. Anything like that out there?

The logic behind this is about as sound as starving your child, because if they have faith they don't need food. And the action should be just as illegal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom