• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lies of P | Review Thread

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It is gonna sound strange but elden ring kinda burned me out of the genre, normally i would be way more hyped for both games but i can see myself buying them when they are in hard discount when i have nothing else to play.
I actually recently replaying Elden Ring made me what want Souls game even more but what I want is actual Souls game not clones, so I rather just wait for Shadow of the Erdtree DLC.

This exactly why I never get burnout of Souls game because I dont play "Souls-like" other than actual Souls games FROM made.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Oh damn, they actually kept that god awful title.
Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Idk that I’ll like it but it’s a gamepass title so I’ll at least try it before phantom liberty hits.

79 MC is what i see.

Thats how i felt when i played it, people said they fixed the dodge but it was horrible
You remind me of the Dark Souls 2 players that did not upgrade Adaptability. Below ~25% Weight capacity the character is very responsive and quick. In the demo you can even unlock an upgrade that allows him to chain two dodges together...

Last edited:

tmlDan

You remind me of the Dark Souls 2 players that did not upgrade Adaptability. Below ~25% Weight capacity the character is very responsive and quick. In the demo you can even unlock an upgrade that allows him to chain two dodges together...
you remind me of the people who are accepting of shitty game design, keep coping

Last edited:

TonyK

Glad to see good reviews. I enjoyed some Souls clones (The Surge 2, Mortal Shell...) and this seems the best of those.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I hate how the Darksouls style has infected third person action games with stamina management and Z-targeting poking attacks. I wish we'd get more Bayonetta and DMC style games with this artstyle and tone.
I'm huge fan of Souls games and I agree with you, I love what FROM makes but god damn I'm so sick of other developers want to be FROM wannabe.

There are other type of action combat style out there not EVERY FUCKING games needs to Souls-like........this Modern Military in 360/PS3 era all over again when Modern Warfare first came out in 2007.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I hate how the Darksouls style has infected third person action games with stamina management and Z-targeting poking attacks. I wish we'd get more Bayonetta and DMC style games with this artstyle and tone.
Look into Soulstice sometime. I haven't tried it yet but was shocked it was actually an action game that's not Souls. Also Evil West. Wanted: Dead.

Kurotri

The concept and vision sounded so promising and interesting and for it to not fall flat on its face is great to see. GG. Hope Lords of the Fallen turns out with similar scores!

I think so. My friend asked me for it so assuming it's there.

Edit: just checked, it says it's not there. Weird, need to tell him.
Maybe they are thinking of Lords of the Fallen. That has co-op à la FromSoftware games and If I'm not mistaken progression carries over between co-op sections, so no need to redo a boss in your or friend's world.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Fextralife said there’s a boss that feels impossible without a summoned NPC or Spectres.

A sore point for some hardcore fans may be the encouragement of utilising Spectres in the game, which are AI that help in a Boss fight. You are never forced to use them, but 1 boss fight in particular feels impossible to beat without it.
Overall, the experience is extremely solid and not just “another soulslike”, with some real passion put into it by Neowiz which makes me excited for what we will see from them in the future.

I preordered for Steam. Got a good deal on the deluxe edition with early access.

Last edited:

LastBattle

Demo was very impressive. Mind you I haven’t played Bloodborne (in the backlog) so can’t draw any comparisons, which makes it feel somewhat fresh for me. All this goodness hitting Gamepass is giving me anxiety. Impossible to keep up! Looking forward to jumping in. Wo Long was the last soulsy game I played and finished, so ready to get spanked again 😅

Eotheod

Pretty sure I have this ready to go on Game Pass, will have to find time between Starfield to try it out. Looks good!

I didn't really enjoy the demo. I find I don't really enjoy Souls-like games, but love Souls/etc series. These review scores are encouraging though, and thanks to Xbox Game Pass Ultimate™️ I can try it out for free*.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
If it's still on Game Pass when I finish Starfield I'll check it out. I hate FROM Software games and their clones, but this game looked appealing. Worth checking out if it's still free*

Alright, went back and played the demo again to see if my feelings would be different. Started with the rapier (1st time was saber and didn't experiment with anything else). Well, this weapon feels *a lot* better. Nothing not made by FROM will ever feel/be as good as a FROM game but I've had plenty of fun with Souls-likes in the past and I'm really starting to feel this now to the point where I'm contemplating day 1 lol. Lord's of the Fallen launches in a few weeks though, decisions decisions, maybe I'll buy both 😆

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Demo was very impressive. Mind you I haven’t played Bloodborne (in the backlog) so can’t draw any comparisons, which makes it feel somewhat fresh for me. All this goodness hitting Gamepass is giving me anxiety. Impossible to keep up! Looking forward to jumping in. Wo Long was the last soulsy game I played and finished, so ready to get spanked again 😅
Oh man. I wouldn’t recommend this over Bloodborne. IMO having Bloodborne as your first experience with this style would be a lot better.

I heard the starting arm is still OP throughout the game, but there are many different builds. Lots of ways to make weapons, so not everything is known about the possibilities of OP builds. I got both this and Lords of the Fallen. I’ll be good for a while.

ClosBSAS

Alright, went back and played the demo again to see if my feelings would be different. Started with the rapier (1st time was saber and didn't experiment with anything else). Well, this weapon feels *a lot* better. Nothing not made by FROM will ever feel/be as good as a FROM game but I've had plenty of fun with Souls-likes in the past and I'm really starting to feel this now to the point where I'm contemplating day 1 lol. Lord's of the Fallen launches in a few weeks though, decisions decisions, maybe I'll buy both 😆
use gamepass for lies of p and buy lords. problem solved lol./

Top Bottom