• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lies of P | Review Thread

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Seems to be following the pattern of most soulslikes... good, but nowhere near the OG games.

I wonder why no one is able to recreate that special sauce the way From do... :pie_thinking:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Is the protagonist in Lies of P based on Timothée Chalamet ??
Look at it, the physical appearance is identical... I don't know if it's plagiarism of his image or if I accept being the image of the game, but it's exactly him!!

I will even do this, I will ask him on his social networks and the company why his character is so similar to the actor. 😂

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Banned
Look at it, the physical appearance is identical... I don't know if it's plagiarism of his image or if I accept being the image of the game, but it's exactly him!!
I got the same feeling ten years ago when I first played and saw Ellie in THE LAST OF US game. I said, “the girl must be based on, and even mo-caped and voiced by Ellen Page”.

I know Naughty Dog said Ellie wasn’t based on Ellen Page’s likeness … but c’mon. She was.

I feel that’s the same here with Lies of P and Timothée Chalamet

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I got the same feeling ten years ago when I first played and saw Ellie in THE LAST OF US game. I said, “the girl must be based on, and even mo-caped and voiced by Ellen Page”.

I know Naughty Dog said Ellie wasn’t based on Ellen Page’s likeness … but c’mon. She was.

I feel that’s the same here with Lies of P and Timothée Chalamet
My intuition tells me that if it's him... Even Neogaf has supported me xD.

zeldaring

Banned
I hate how the Darksouls style has infected third person action games with stamina management and Z-targeting poking attacks. I wish we'd get more Bayonetta and DMC style games with this artstyle and tone.
Meh ninja gaiden black was on another level.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

I always like his reviews

According to this guy....
Lies of P is fantastic.
Immortals and Forspoken are terrible.

A game that is a boodborne shameless copycat vs new games that do not follow other games.
All are flowed and good games but I don't see big reason to love this one so much compared to other...

...oh wait... there is a reason. Lies of P is on Gamepass and he loves gamepass....

edit: Don't get me wrong. Lies of P seems good. Demo didn't really did it for me but forspoken demo also didn't

Last edited:

Rien

Jelly Belly
Lies of P is fantastic.

A game that is a boodborne shameless copycat vs new games that do not follow other games.
All are flowed and good games but I don't see big reason to love this one so much compared to other...

...oh wait... there is a reason. Lies of P is on Gamepass and he loves gamepass....

edit: Don't get me wrong. Lies of P seems good. Demo didn't really did it for me but forspoken demo also didn't

Ow okay. Dunno man, I just like his reviews.

SJRB

Gold Member

(For those unfamiliar - Dist is a very well known (Souls-like) speedrunner so he knows what he's doing)

Last edited:
And Lies of P is ready to play!

done its over GIF

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Nioh 2 does everything better than FromSoft games. You can quote me on that.

What ? absolutely not - especially when it comes to level design and its shortcuts.

The combat systems in Nioh are way more advanced, sure but other than that...

Artwork, art-direction, sound design , level design, general atmosphere/aesthetics are always better in FROM games, no-one can touch these mothafuggas when it comes to these specific things - and this comes from a FROM fan (but not a fanboy) that hates the infinite friggin' FROM circle-jerk and its BS method of lazy storytelling via item descriptions.

Credit where credit is due is all i'm saying friend.

Cheers

Fake

A souls game without souls. The resume of every souls clone.

I hate how the Darksouls style has infected third person action games with stamina management and Z-targeting poking attacks. I wish we'd get more Bayonetta and DMC style games with this artstyle and tone.

Wait, they copied From Software souls style, but are Darksouls style to blame for infecting the game?

Nobody asked for a game like that to follow or copy Dark Souls style. They copy and put Souls inside this game at their own free will.

Is like someone blaming BOTW for infecting Genshin Impact with climbing mechanic.

Buggy Loop

Is Volcano high gonna be Eurogamer's GOTY or something?

They're being ridiculous.

Hugare

Lies of P is fantastic.

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

Should we praise any new game based on concept instead of execution?

As much as you love Forspoken man, it's rated 64 on MC, so someone saying that they didnt enjoy it shouldnt be controversial

I guess you also should also call out Gamespot, IGN, Gameinformer, Eurogamer and etc. for being "gamepass shills", 'cause they all gave Lies of Pi a higher score than Forspoken

We have many Souls clones, but not many (if any) Bloodborne clone. Especially one that nails so many things like this one. It's no easy task.

Last edited:
Nioh 2 does everything better than FromSoft games. You can quote me on that.

As someone who loved Nioh 2, bought it day 1 and got the plat trophy I can and *will* quote you and say NO. FROM created a genre of games that spawned endless clones, none have equalled the "source material", let alone surpassed it. Of all the Souls-likes Nioh 2 is definitely the best though, let's see where Lies of P falls, at least they are upfront about their inspiration lol

Last edited:
Level design? You know you;re full of shit in that regard. Gameplay, sure. Sekiro is better tho. Soundtrack? Depends on your sound buds. Performance? Both are lol. Art style? You know From wins here as well.
Level design is fantastic in Nioh 2. No more elevator action nonsense and better enemy, checkpoint, and item placement. Sekiro gameplay is boring stealth and rhythm parry. Actually attacking in Sekiro sucks ass. Soundtracks on both are serviceable, but sound effects are a league above in Nioh. Art style in most FromSoft games is inconsistent in quality. One moment you're fighting Lady Maria and the next Orphan of Kos.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Level design is fantastic in Nioh 2. No more elevator action nonsense and better enemy, checkpoint, and item placement. Sekiro gameplay is boring stealth and rhythm parry. Actually attacking in Sekiro sucks ass. Soundtracks on both are serviceable, but sound effects are a league above in Nioh. Art style in most FromSoft games is inconsistent in quality. One moment you're fighting Lady Maria and the next Orphan of Kos.
Ah I see. Obsessed fanboy. No point discussing any further.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
yeah me too. I like the guy but he has clear gamepass bias
You really should consider reverting to your original avatar before you point your finger at other people’s biases. Especially if those people didn‘t like Forspoken. Just sayin’.

OK, actually I’m saying this also because your avy is just plain disturbing, mate. Please, please go back to the old one.

I’m probably gonna try this game. To my disgrace, I subscribed to a service that will destroy gaming but, for the time being, allows me to try games I otherwise wouldn’t even know exist.

Top Bottom