• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Like a Dragon: The Man Who Erased his Name | Review Thread

Soltype

It's supposed to come out some time later post-launch.
655281.jpg

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Dipped the game and man...how I missed Kiryu. And I'm digging the whole Joryu secret agent stuff.

It starts a bit off, but when they start to connect the dots it's pure Yakuza top tier narrative.

And I'm glad the narrative actually goes way back, before...

Ichiban meets Kiryu in Like a Dragon

I enjoy Like a Dragon and the breath of fresh air it offers the franchise, Ichiban himself is a phenomenal character too, but OG combat system, specially with the Dragon Engine, just suits the franchise way better imo.

PS: The game is an absolute looker.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

Just completed it. That was incredible, short but sweet and reminds you of what videos games should be. The scene at the end made me shed some tears and absolutely loved the new characters, Shishido, Tsuruno and Hanawa. I hope after Infinite wealth we get another Kiryu game focusing on concluding his current predicament.

Yakuza is a series that keeps on giving and a blessing in an industry filled with trash and compromised art.

I overall like the game but i am not quite sure about the plot line of Daidoji. Choose to "die" to escape from yakuza only to join a secret government organization that can be worse and cold blooded than Yakuza themselves. And it is nearly an open secret that no one who knew him truly believe he die. Also, if Daidojo is so strict on the rule, how come Ichiban and gang doesn't get like instant dead. And from the trailer we saw seeing Date is not a problem at all, then again he knew. I wonder how will the Daidojo story line will go since Kiryu got outted by that online thing, does that still count as contract beign broken and threaten the kids again.

Last edited:

NanaMiku

I overall like the game but i am not quite sure about the plot line of Daidoji. Choose to "die" to escape from yakuza only to join a secret government organization that can be worse and cold blooded than Yakuza themselves. And it is nearly an open secret that no one who knew him truly believe he die. Also, if Daidojo is so strict on the rule, how come Ichiban and gang doesn't get like instant dead. And from the trailer we saw seeing Date is not a problem at all, then again he knew. I wonder how will the Daidojo story line will go since Kiryu got outted by that online thing, does that still count as contract beign broken and threaten the kids again.
Yeah, Daidoji plotline is really weird. They supposed to be a really big organization but they didn't know the CIA thing was a trap.

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Any kind soul care to explain me how you pull Essence of Raging Dragon?

It's supposed to be a standard heat action where you should press triangle after a charged triangle attack.

I've tried multiple combos, both in normal heat and extreme heat and it simply does not work. I'm clueless about what I'm missing.

gela94

I seriously hope they go back to in game hostess models, this real actresses is just so cringe! But I love the game and Kazuma is so hot and finally we can change his clothes in our first playthrough😉

Nankatsu

Gold Member
This game gets so damn goofy with the gadgets, it feels so damn good.

Plus the attire customization! About damn time. Took them long enough.

Reactions: RNG

LordCBH

English dub now available :messenger_grimmacing_

It’s ass lol. Saw several clips where it sounds like they didn’t wanna do more takes and just digitally altered the speed lol. How they went from 7 (and Lost Judgment) to this in terms of dub quality. Someone needs to lose their job over how bad this is.

RNG

Alright I just watched "the scene" with the english dub and yeah it's nowhere close to Kuroda's convincing performance. I was pretty much laughing at Yong pretending to cry. It also sounded like his voice lines and crying were recorded separately.

LordCBH

Alright I just watched "the scene" with the english dub and yeah it's nowhere close to Kuroda's convincing performance. I was pretty much laughing at Yong pretending to cry. It also sounded like his voice lines and crying were recorded separately.

dude legit sounds like a 20 year old imitating a 50 year old poorly.

EDMIX

lol yea that update means nothing to most of us.

I think the only Yakuza I ever played with the English dub was actually the first game on PS2...then never again lol Yakuza 2 I either selected the Japanese dub, or I recall it didn't have an English dub or something and it was team Japanese dub ever since.

Learning Japanese and reading it, I often switch many titles over to Japanese dub and switch the menu to Kanji etc

• Strength

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Finally finished it, and yeah it does feel like a side quest as the name implies at least for 80% of it, and the Akane Network minigame was shit, didnt bother much with it because grinding it is pretty much the reason why we hate Ubisoft games. The last few hours were great tho. Other than that Infinite Wealth is going to be fucking awesome, played the free trial and just loved it, we can listen to music while exploring, combat is improved, animations are improved, etc. The lighting is weird tho, like sometimes too bright and too dark, their engine could use some RTGI tbh. I am fucking day one with Infinite Wealth tho. As for Gaiden, it's 100% not worth the 60 euros, kinda scummy. At best i'd recommend at 30.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Finally finished it, and yeah it does feel like a side quest as the name implies at least for 80% of it, and the Akane Network minigame was shit, didnt bother much with it because grinding it is pretty much the reason why we hate Ubisoft games. The last few hours were great tho. Other than that Infinite Wealth is going to be fucking awesome, played the free trial and just loved it, we can listen to music while exploring, combat is improved, animations are improved, etc. The lighting is weird tho, like sometimes too bright and too dark, their engine could use some RTGI tbh. I am fucking day one with Infinite Wealth tho. As for Gaiden, it's 100% not worth the 60 euros, kinda scummy. At best i'd recommend at 30.
What akane network mini game, it's basically just a central reward/unlock hub for most of the game's side quests, you basically ignored half the game's content if you really didn't do anything involving that at all? Possibly even made it harder to acquire points to upgrade your character if you really didn't even advance enough to open the side quests in it? Or did you open up the side quests and did them but then just never went back to her to advance your network level and unlock the stuff there like her expanding store catalogue? Otherwise it's just part of the game, more organically mixed than say the colisseum battles and all related stuff for example, just after doing x side quests, fights, and pretty much anything else you normally do in these games, exploring its world and talking to/helping npcs (dumb stuff like get me item or saving them from thugs or some more involving sub stories) etc. then seeing your akane network level has increased you go back to her and open up more stuff, sub stories, maybe spend some of the akane points in that menu to open up rewards and bonuses like extra points from fights which are useful too. It's not like the stock market or whatever mini game in Like a Dragon totally separate from the main gameplay or anything. The game world you back and forth in anyway for the main story must have felt pretty empty with none of the side quests/stories like all the gangs or the ever stronger wandering npc as in all previous games.

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
I'm actually doing the Akane sub stories and so far I think they have been pretty good.

It's worth tackling the side content. Don't understand how people rush through it.

Not doing the side content and saying the game is only worth 30€ does not compute.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
game's side quests,

SIde quests? Those are hardly called side quests, they're called trash, literally taking pictures or delivering food from stores or same the exact combat scenario. I get you fanboys can't take criticism for your favorite games but jesus fuck if you consider the Akane Network worth it, you should find better stuff to do with your life. It's incredibly grindy and boring and offer nothing of worth. Side quests in all Yakuza games are either funny or have some morality to them, these arent fucking side quests. The only side quest its tied to is the Arena and dealing with the 4 kings but its boring as shit. I've reached Akane Network 12 or 15 at which point I got bored, same with the arena, after completing gold I was fucking done.

Not doing the side content and saying the game is only worth 30€ does not compute.

Dont be ridiculous. I love all RGG games but this shit isnt worth the full price.

This is why I avoid posting in OT, theres always going to obsessed fans who cant take valid criticism and will defend "their" games to death, always 10/10, etc. And this is coming from someone who loved all the ACTUAL mini-games in all yakuza and judgment games, yes even the extremely repetitive Ichiban Holdings. Dont bother replying, im outta here, excited for Infinite Wealth, enjoy your Ubisoft grindy shit.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
SIde quests? Those are hardly called side quests, they're called trash, literally taking pictures or delivering food from stores or same the exact combat scenario. I get you fanboys can't take criticism for your favorite games but jesus fuck if you consider the Akane Network worth it, you should find better stuff to do with your life. It's incredibly grindy and boring and offer nothing of worth. Side quests in all Yakuza games are either funny or have some morality to them, these arent fucking side quests. The only side quest its tied to is the Arena and dealing with the 4 kings but its boring as shit. I've reached Akane Network 12 or 15 at which point I got bored, same with the arena, after completing gold I was fucking done.

Dont be ridiculous. I love all RGG games but this shit isnt worth the full price.

This is why I avoid posting in OT, theres always going to obsessed fans who cant take valid criticism and will defend "their" games to death, always 10/10, etc. And this is coming from someone who loved all the ACTUAL mini-games in all yakuza and judgment games, yes even the extremely repetitive Ichiban Holdings. Dont bother replying, im outta here, excited for Infinite Wealth, enjoy your Ubisoft grindy shit.
I just asked where you saw the mini game when it's just side quests like in any Yakuza, if you hate and never do them (or the actual mini games) fine, there's no need to get so triggered and accuse folks of being so beneath your objective God level judg(e)ment that means everyone else is x, y and z.

The game doesn't have an OT.

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member

You know the exclamation points across the map are not sidequests, right? The real sidequests are the ones you get from talking to Akane herself.

And those are solid, I've played some sidequests in other Yakuza games that are worse than these.

I'm not being a fan boy, I'm just speaking as someone who is actually playing and not rushing through the game. Maybe you should have done the same, I guess.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
I'm just speaking as someone who is actually playing and not rushing through the game. Maybe you should have done the same, I guess.

Typical fanboy reply. You have nothing else to say in regards to the shitty Akane Network and you just resort to, ah well, "maybe play more" as if I havent. Fucking lmao. Ok guy, whatever you say. Anyone with a common sense should not spend full cash on this, trust me even if you're a RGG fan like myself. It aint worth it. These 2 above, are just blind to its issues. Thats all I gotta say. Peace out, blocked.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Ive summoned Gai Amon but how the hell do you beat this guy? lol

Cheese, lots of cheese :p

There's a skill (I forget the name) which unlocks a heat action as a counter when an enemy is trying to hit you, I loaded up on heat boosts and cheesed the hell out of him.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Typical fanboy reply. You have nothing else to say in regards to the shitty Akane Network and you just resort to, ah well, "maybe play more" as if I havent. Fucking lmao. Ok guy, whatever you say. Anyone with a common sense should not spend full cash on this, trust me even if you're a RGG fan like myself. It aint worth it. These 2 above, are just blind to its issues. Thats all I gotta say. Peace out, blocked.

school everyone GIF

Orbital2060

Cheese, lots of cheese :p

There's a skill (I forget the name) which unlocks a heat action as a counter when an enemy is trying to hit you, I loaded up on heat boosts and cheesed the hell out of him.
Brutal. I could hardly get a hit in.

I will see if I can find some cheese 😆

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Wrapped up and finish the game.

The final chapter is really good.

Worth every buck. Almost 30 hours in the game, only missing 2 sidequests and the 4 Kings from the Colloseum.

Will definetely grab a physical copy down the road to complete my Yakuza collection.

Even though they briefly appear Shishido and Nishitani are really cool villains. It will be very interesting to see what they will do with them, considering they now are under the same faction as Kiryu.

Also The crying scene is heavy as fuck man.I was expecting someone dying, considering they previously shown the scene briefly in trailers,not this. Made Kiryu so fucking human man. I burst into tears not gonna lie.

They were extremely smart with the time gap between Gaiden ending and the Infinite Wealth beginning. There's a 3 years gap. Makes me believe they might close Kiryu's chapter in Infinite Wealth but there's space for spin-offs where he goes full Daidojji agent.

I'm tempted to try out the demo but at the same time I want to go blind into Infinite Wealth.

Is the demo the beginning of the game?

Does the story carry over?

Last edited:

NanaMiku

Wrapped up and finish the game.

The final chapter is really good.

Worth every buck. Almost 30 hours in the game, only missing 2 sidequests and the 4 Kings from the Colloseum.

Will definetely grab a physical copy down the road to complete my Yakuza collection.

Even though they briefly appear Shishido and Nishitani are really cool villains. It will be very interesting to see what they will do with them, considering they now are under the same faction as Kiryu.

Also The crying scene is heavy as fuck man.I was expecting someone dying, considering they previously shown the scene briefly in trailers,not this. Made Kiryu so fucking human man. I burst into tears not gonna lie.

They were extremely smart with the time gap between Gaiden ending and the Infinite Wealth beginning. There's a 3 years gap. Makes me believe they might close Kiryu's chapter in Infinite Wealth but there's space for spin-offs where he goes full Daidojji agent.

I'm tempted to try out the demo but at the same time I want to go blind into Infinite Wealth.

Is the demo the beginning of the game?

Does the story carry over?
Demo is split into two parts. The first part is Story Demo, nothing really big in this demo, you only see how Eric Tomizawa joins the party
The second demo is Hawai Demo, you get to explore some of Hawaii. There are some substory and minigame spoiler. Also a spoiler of one of the boss

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Demo is split into two parts. The first part is Story Demo, nothing really big in this demo, you only see how Eric Tomizawa joins the party
The second demo is Hawai Demo, you get to explore some of Hawaii. There are some substory and minigame spoiler. Also a spoiler of one of the boss
Does the story demo begin at the starting point at least? Or is it mid-way?

SkylineRKR

This was a fun game. I beat everything including Amon.

If you want to break the coliseum, just pick the Chicken guy or the last street gang boss as main character in mayhem. Do R2 machine gun once bar is filled. You will kill everything and get all S ranks.

Gai Amon is very easy by the way. You barely need any heals if you are maxed out (which shouldn't be hard if you went so far as to unlock this fight). For the first part, just use agent style and punish him after he comes to you for close range. You can also try a few heat actions like the one during block, or the one where you are on the ground. You will do a ton of damage on max kiwami levels.

When he summons drones, rocket dash around until they stop. When he changes style, do so too. And just use your extreme heat finishers on him. I sort of one shotted him with it.

Almost skipped this because it wasn't a mainline title and I was afraid of burnout before LAD: IW. I'm so glad I didn't. "That" scene at the end got me good. Yakuza 3 was my first and favorite, so the orphanage storyline holds a special place in my heart. I went back and played the PS2 titles after Y3 and have kept up with every mainline game since.

I'm 100% not ready for the gut-punch that's going to happen in the next game.

Roufianos

Well there's two hours I'll never get back. Please tell me they don't lock the main story behind levelling up the Akame network again? If so, I'm out. What a fucking chore.

NanaMiku

Well there's two hours I'll never get back. Please tell me they don't lock the main story behind levelling up the Akame network again? If so, I'm out. What a fucking chore.
AFAIK, yes, they locked it behind Akame network. If you do all the substory, colosseum, and helping people on the street, it won't affect you much because the network will level up beyond what you need for the main story

Top Bottom