• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Likely BS) Era Leaker 'Hero' Claims FFVIIR is on Switch 2 in PS5 Quality

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeldaring

Banned
"FF7R looks and runs like a PS5 game on Switch 2 devkit."

Not sure why a statement like this would trigger 'bullshit' tbh.

PS5 FF7 can run at 4k or 60fps performance mode, cut out those two and with the rumours of what Switch 2 specs is like, and with DLSS, yeah, it could 'LOOK' like the PS5 version(it's not like he went all D. Foundry and started listing off the technical details that are a 1:1 match for the PS5 version or something).

It is SE as well, and it's not like they can't make gorgeous looking games on any kind of hardware.
When you consider most AAA games run better on ps5 then NVDA equivalent GPU'S then yea i call BS. of course diminishing returns are a real thing and many people can look at ps4 and say it looks like the ps5 version, but if it's anything like final fantasy 16 switch version won't even be close when you look at technically.

SaintALia

When you consider most AAA games run better on ps5 then NVDA equivalent GPU'S then yea i call BS. of course diminishing returns are a real thing and many people can look at ps4 and say it looks like the ps5 version, but if it's anything like final fantasy 16 switch version won't even be close when you look at technically.
"Looks like" can mean a lot of different things. I see a lot of people say console games 'look like' their PC counterparts running at max settings when they were not(or they can 'look similar' if you don't actually look too closely).

That comment is far too nebulous for anyone to claim 'bullshit' on tbh, especially given that we don't actually know how well the Switch 2 can perform with DLSS(and Nintendo itself has been using adaptive resolutions, so they may have invested more into this), and the fact that PS5 has different modes, and the leaker never even specified which one it 'looks and runs like'. Well, we don't even know how the Switch 2 performs at all really, we have leaker numbers and some specs, but that doesn't exactly translate directly into what we will see in a closed system.

When DF gets their hands on it, we'll know what's up and it likely won't be able to match the PS5, but it should look decent enough if DLSS and the spec leaks are true, and I trust SE to make a gorgeous looking mainline game on any half-decent hardware.

This statement below I don't know how to answer to. At what settings and resolutions? Which 'equivalent GPUs' are we talking about here? The 2070 seems closest? But that's like 2 gens behind current Nvidia GPUs no...?
When you consider most AAA games run better on ps5 then NVDA equivalent GPU'S"

zeldaring

Banned
"Looks like" can mean a lot of different things. I see a lot of people say console games 'look like' their PC counterparts running at max settings when they were not(or they can 'look similar' if you don't actually look too closely).

That comment is far too nebulous for anyone to claim 'bullshit' on tbh, especially given that we don't actually know how well the Switch 2 can perform with DLSS(and Nintendo itself has been using adaptive resolutions, so they may have invested more into this), and the fact that PS5 has different modes, and the leaker never even specified which one it 'looks and runs like'. Well, we don't even know how the Switch 2 performs at all really, we have leaker numbers and some specs, but that doesn't exactly translate directly into what we will see in a closed system.

When DF gets their hands on it, we'll know what's up and it likely won't be able to match the PS5, but it should look decent enough if DLSS and the spec leaks are true, and I trust SE to make a gorgeous looking mainline game on any half-decent hardware.

This statement below I don't know how to answer to. At what settings and resolutions? Which 'equivalent GPUs' are we talking about here? The 2070 seems closest? But that's like 2 gens behind current Nvidia GPUs no...?
I mean since the wii Nintendo hardware has been massively disappointing in terms of power, and we always hear these BS rumors specs that don't come close to reality and the tear down comes and it's the lowest out come possible.

Kataploom

Gold Member
If people think it's a miracle that Switch was stronger than a PS3, or that Switch 2 will be comparable to a PS4, then that speaks volumes about people not understanding Nintendo.
People believe that if Nintendo had the options of selling a PS5 equivalent handheld at 399 at profit vs a little less powerful than PS4 at same price and profits, they'd opt in for the latter "because they're Nintendo", WTF? If technology is good and cheap enough to fit their target price, they will go for it, and not necessarily they'll go for profits first, the reason why Nintendo did so for Switch is because they came from Wii U and 3DS, they needed it, they can go back to little too no profits strategy on hardware at the beginning and count on other factors like keeping price for the whole device life span, economy of scales and models redesigns for big margins anyway, they are not begging for money as they did before the Switch, they're not strangers to loss leading tactics

Cyberpunkd

People believe that if Nintendo had the options of selling a PS5 equivalent handheld at 399 at profit vs a little less powerful than PS4 at same price and profits, they'd opt in for the latter "because they're Nintendo", WTF? If technology is good and cheap enough to fit their target price, they will go for it, and not necessarily they'll go for profits first, the reason why Nintendo did so for Switch is because they came from Wii U and 3DS, they needed it, they can go back to little too no profits strategy on hardware at the beginning and count on other factors like keeping price for the whole device life span, economy of scales and models redesigns for big margins anyway, they are not begging for money as they did before the Switch, they're not strangers to loss leading tactics
Nintendo has not been”little to no profits” company since the time of Wii. It’s not coming back.

Woopah

Exactly, people act like Nintendo handle every platform like the Wii, which is just not true.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Nintendo has not been”little to no profits” company since the time of Wii. It’s not coming back.
Wii U sold at lost iirc, even then things can change, they could compromise other things in order to avoid the console being emulable so early in the generation which may also bring them advantages

SaintALia

Why is this topic all about resolution and not one word about assets?
Didn't specify, so we have no real idea
I mean since the wii Nintendo hardware has been massively disappointing in terms of power, and we always hear these BS rumors specs that don't come close to reality and the tear down comes and it's the lowest out come possible.
Not really 'BS rumour' specs. The Switch 2 leaks were directly from Nvidia iirc, and not like some overhyped fanboy theory. It should put Switch 2 around PS4 power, which isn't something that is hard to believe. And it's not like S2 is going to try and run PS5 games at PS5 fidelity, resolutions and framerates. So a S2 version of the game 'looking like' a crossgen PS5 game isn't out of the realm of possibility if it's at PS4 power and using DLSS.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Also, if Switch 2 graphics start competing against PS5 due to DLSS type tricks, this forum will have a goddamn meltdown. I hope it's true just for that.
Imagine the DF comparison threads.

Happy Antonio Banderas GIF

zeldaring

Banned
Didn't specify, so we have no real idea

Not really 'BS rumour' specs. The Switch 2 leaks were directly from Nvidia iirc, and not like some overhyped fanboy theory. It should put Switch 2 around PS4 power, which isn't something that is hard to believe. And it's not like S2 is going to try and run PS5 games at PS5 fidelity, resolutions and framerates. So a S2 version of the game 'looking like' a crossgen PS5 game isn't out of the realm of possibility if it's at PS4 power and using DLSS.
we been hearing these rumors of a switch pro for 2 years now, so imo they are BS. i would not be surprised if Nintendo switched to another chip maker to save money.

zeldaring

Banned
Paying Nvidia for several years to build you a custom SoC, and then scrapping it to go with someone else is the opposite of saving money.
yea we been hearing for several years switch pro coming for sure yet nada. until something is confirmed i'll take rumors just as rumors.

zeldaring

Banned
It's not based on rumours, it's based on documents literally stolen from Nvidia.
according to DF they cancelled the switch pro probably looking for a better deal, just watch when switch 2 is announce and it won't be backward compatible with a intel chips lmao.

Last edited:

Woopah

according to DF they cancelled the switch pro probably looking for a better deal, just watch when switch 2 is announce and it won't be backward compatible with a intel chips lmao.
DF said they recalled the first dev kits. New ones have since been sent out but there are no indications they are with a different manufacturer.

zeldaring

Banned
DF said they recalled the first dev kits. New ones have since been sent out but there are no indications they are with a different manufacturer.
until i get confirmation i'm gonna assume Nintendo is gonna Nintendo. Expected a switch pro years ago and nintendo did what they do to save money. i would not be surprised if they find some crazy deal with another company and thats the reason pro never came out.

Woopah

until i get confirmation i'm gonna assume Nintendo is gonna Nintendo. Expected a switch pro years ago and nintendo did what they do to save money. i would not be surprised if they find some crazy deal with another company and thats the reason pro never came out.
Its fair to wait for confirmation. What is "Nintendo gonna Nintendo" mean in this particular case? What power level do you expect from Switch 2?

zeldaring

Banned
Its fair to wait for confirmation. What is "Nintendo gonna Nintendo" mean in this particular case? What power level do you expect from Switch 2?
Over 9000 for sure. Not sure honestly. nintendo has pulled some crazy shit hardware wise to save money, and seeing how switch is selling i would not be surprised if its on par with steam deck or even much weaker.

BootsLoader

Banned
Of course they will opt in for the less powerful machine. Because they are Nintendo.
Did you know that Nintendo had trouble making HD games back in the WiiU era? Go and search what Miyamoto said. It was a big change for them and they had to spend a lot of money because their engines were not optimized for HD gaming.

They will prefer a less powerful machine all day and night because that is saving them money on video game production, don’t have to mess with updating their engines etc. It is not as simple as you think.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Of course they will opt in for the less powerful machine. Because they are Nintendo.
Did you know that Nintendo had trouble making HD games back in the WiiU era? Go and search what Miyamoto said. It was a big change for them and they had to spend a lot of money because their engines were not optimized for HD gaming.

They will prefer a less powerful machine all day and night because that is saving them money on video game production, don’t have to mess with updating their engines etc. It is not as simple as you think.
That actually happened around all industry, many studios broke, the change from old 3D programming paradigm to shader based paradigm was as disruptive as it could get. A change like that won't happen again for a while if ever.

One could say that this gen with SSD, SFS, geometry shaders etc would be that moment but devs are going slow, probably to avoid a similar situation, but they're evolutions of current technology, not an absolute flip of the table as it was from 6th to 7th gen.

If someone with graphic programming existence could second or correct this, if appreciate it.

SaintALia

I guess technically not but when reading "ps5 quality" my brain goes to "overall image quality plus framerate" not simply resolution. Resolution alone is meaningless in a like for like comparison.
It could mean anything really, unless I missed the memo and this guy is a technical director or someone who actually knows about graphical details. Seeing a game running on a monitor and saying it 'looks like' the PS5 version doesn't actually tell me that much to make me call bullshit.

If he was saying, 'the graphical details/settings are on par with PS5, running at 60fps in native 1440p', then yea, I'd definitely be calling bullshit. But as it is, 'looks like'? Yeah sure.

Last edited:

SaintALia

we been hearing these rumors of a switch pro for 2 years now, so imo they are BS. i would not be surprised if Nintendo switched to another chip maker to save money.
The leak was was from Nvidia, just checked. Not sure why you'd think they'd be BS just because you heard about them years ago, how long do you think they work on these chips to get new hardware ready?

Literally impossible to switching chips at this point. Not to mention Nintendo was already locked into a multiyear deal with Nvidia and their chips. It's also not like the chip coming out is some cutting edge beast....it isn't even gonna ship with the newest version of DLSS....

Is the idea that SW2 beating out PS4 that much of a mind blowing thing for some of you guys? Like even if the GPU doesn't quite edge out the PS4, I fully expect the CPU to be either much better or vastly better than what was in the PS4/XBO at least. Sorry for double post.

Last edited:
It could mean anything really, unless I missed the memo and this guy is a technical director or someone who actually knows about graphical details. Seeing a game running on a monitor and saying it 'looks like' the PS5 version doesn't actually tell me that much to make me call bullshit.

If he was saying, 'the graphical details/settings are on par with PS5, running at 60fps in native 1440p', then yea, I'd definitely be calling bullshit. But as it is, 'looks like'? Yeah sure.
This whole discussion is pretty silly since no one has seen the game running on switch 2.

Boy bawang

DLSS will probably allow for the next switch to have an IQ comparable if not better than the series S, but there will definitely be cutbacks in terms of LOD, assets, and even frame rate as the series S has a significant advantage in nearly everything from CPU to bandwidth.

I think that a good comparison point would be Nier Automata on the current switch. It runs at a higher resolution than PS4, but the game is otherwise visually inferior and runs at 30fps instead of a (very unstable admittedly) 60fps. The comparison is of course limited and the power gap between PS4 and switch is much larger than what we can expect between the next Switch and the Series S, but you get the idea.

BootsLoader

Banned
That actually happened around all industry, many studios broke, the change from old 3D programming paradigm to shader based paradigm was as disruptive as it could get. A change like that won't happen again for a while if ever.

One could say that this gen with SSD, SFS, geometry shaders etc would be that moment but devs are going slow, probably to avoid a similar situation, but they're evolutions of current technology, not an absolute flip of the table as it was from 6th to 7th gen.

If someone with graphic programming existence could second or correct this, if appreciate it.
To me it seemed that Nintendo had a harder time adapting to new technologies than other companies, plus other companies are pushing graphics and technology in comparison with Nintendo that plays it safe and want to get bigger margins from their sale (which is not a bad thing, I just mention that).

Woopah

Nintendo will be looking for the right balance between cost, power and battery life. The power consideration won't be for their own titles, but for third party titles.

We saw that with the original Switch, where they increased the amount of RAM at Capcom's request.

tkscz

Just throwing this out there like I did in the other thread but with modern architecture comes modern shaders. Most likely this means it's just using modern forms of lighting and shading, so it looks closer to what the PS5 renders vs PS4.

To me that makes sense whether the rumored Orin specs (which uses Ampere) are true or it'll be based off of Tegra Thor which uses Lovelace. It'll use newer shaders than whats in the PS4. I don't think it's saying it's going to match the PS5 version.

SaintALia

This whole discussion is pretty silly since no one has seen the game running on switch 2.
The discussion was never about anyone here personally seeing it running, but about someone saying the Sw2 version of the game 'looks like' the PS5 version. Which I contend was too nebulous a statement for people to be calling 'bullshit' over.

It's entirely possible for a SW2 version of a FF7R to 'look like' a PS5 version, given what we know about the SW2 from the leaks, but without any further technical details, that statement barely tells us anything. We'll eventually know what's up by next year I'd imagine.

Lethal01

Just throwing this out there like I did in the other thread but with modern architecture comes modern shaders. Most likely this means it's just using modern forms of lighting and shading, so it looks closer to what the PS5 renders vs PS4.

To me that makes sense whether the rumored Orin specs (which uses Ampere) are true or it'll be based off of Tegra Thor which uses Lovelace. It'll use newer shaders than whats in the PS4. I don't think it's saying it's going to match the PS5 version.
We already see the difference between this game on ps4 vs ps5.
It's not using different shadres, just more light sources really.

The discussion was never about anyone here personally seeing it running, but about someone saying the Sw2 version of the game 'looks like' the PS5 version. Which I contend was too nebulous a statement for people to be calling 'bullshit' over.

It's entirely possible for a SW2 version of a FF7R to 'look like' a PS5 version, given what we know about the SW2 from the leaks, but without any further technical details, that statement barely tells us anything. We'll eventually know what's up by next year I'd imagine.
Homie... You seem to have misinterpreted me both times so I'll try to be clear. The whole discussion was started over some leaker saying the switch 2 version "looks like ps5 quality" I'm saying no one's seen this phantom port at all because it doesn't exist yet. I didn't say anyone here did or didn't see it. This "leaker" is just clout chasing by leaking wholly unverifiable bs. Square just announced the Ff16 PC port is now in development, the odds that they're developing ff7R part two for an as yet unannounced console are near zero. This is all to say that this story is stupid and I don't know why anyone is falling for it.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
So according to latest rumor, Switch 2 can run the Matrix Awakens Unreal Engine 5 tech demo with comparable PS5 graphical level.

If everything aligns, its not far fetch to imagine FF7 Remake might really be feasible on Switch 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom