• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Likely BS) Era Leaker 'Hero' Claims FFVIIR is on Switch 2 in PS5 Quality

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t understand these statements after the game has been released for a little over 2 months and SE confirmed that stating from July 2023, the game started to make profit. Very very strange statements.
Some people are reporting that FFXVI did not meet sales expectations for ps5 for the launch window. Unsure if that is truth or fiction.

Zuzu

Hmm, well the PS5 version runs at either 4k 30fps or 1440p 60fps. No way the Switch 2 is doing that (using native resolution at least). But if the Switch 2 still has an 720p screen then maybe it could be running it at 720p 60fps portable mode using DLSS upscaling.

Last edited:

mhirano

Final Fantasy VIIR REALLY DOES look like a PS5 game on the Switch 2

31nJ67T.jpg

Woopah

Ff 7 r on switch 2 ok possivle, at ps5 quality not a chance
Yea anyone who thinks a Nintendo handheld is gonna be running games near ps5 quality would qualify as that.
I imagine that it's running a port of the PS4 version, but at the same resolution as the PS5 version thanks to DLSS
I think it will be a miracle if the Switch 2, Focus or whatever it’s called even competes with the PS4, so PS5 quality would really be pushing it.
Was it a miracle that the Switch was more powerful than the PS3?

MrA

I imagine that it's running a port of the PS4 version, but at the same resolution as the PS5 version thanks to DLSS

I assumed it was the second part and going off ff16 performance

As far as the ps3 vs switch, remember their are some people that insist the switch is only on par with the vita and far weaker than ps360 , you know despite every ps360 game ported to the switch running at higher res and framerate,

SABRE220

If Switch 2 is actually as powerful as PS4/pro then its games will look damn close to PS5 rendering at 720p on a small screen
As a ps4 hell no, if its as powerful as a pro with dlss itll get reasonably close to the series s, these portables are greatly limited by bandwidth, thermall and power constraints. We already have handhels releasing with the z1 extreme chipset that are at ps4 pro levels of compute yet they perform nowhere close due to limitations.

Last edited:

I don’t think everyone should read too much into this. Truly. I expect many more “Leaks” and fictional leaks between now and TGS.

As for looking like the PS5 version of FFVIIR, who cares… My reasoning is, we don’t have enough information. Did this game look like PS5 graphics in portable mode or on a tv? You could hide a lot of blemishes in portable mode. Which I suspect is what they were working on. Again, If real at all!

Regardless, i think it is a safe assumption that FFVIIR comes to Switch 2 at some point. Of course, if Square is acquired things are subject to change. But, I think it is near a 100% at this point.

=========================== ================================== ==============

It is also worth noting, not to get too far into the technical specs. There is a law of diminishing returns in regards to battery life and to power/performance. Nintendo/Sony/ MS can’t make a magic system the defies science. So, if they get any version of FFVIIR running on Switch 2 hardware, i think that is more than sufficient.

Last edited:

Woopah

As far as the ps3 vs switch, remember their are some people that insist the switch is only on par with the vita and far weaker than ps360 , you know despite every ps360 game ported to the switch running at higher res and framerate,
Yeah I think a claim about FFXVI running on Switch 2 is a lot different to a claim about FFVIIR.

As to your 2nd point, it just means people will be pleasantly surprised!

I don’t think everyone should read too much into this. Truly. I expect many more “Leaks” and fictional leaks between now and TGS.

As for looking like the PS5 version of FFVIIR, who cares… My reasoning is, we don’t have enough information. Did this game look like PS5 graphics in portable mode or on a tv? You could hide a lot of blemishes in portable mode. Which I suspect is what they were working on. Again, If real at all!

Regardless, i think it is a safe assumption that FFVIIR comes to Switch 2 at some point. Of course, if Square is acquired things are subject to change. But, I think it is near a 100% at this point.
Yes good point. I'm expecting the console to be announced in the next 6 months, so not too much longer to wait!

Yeah I think a claim about FFXVI running on Switch 2 is a lot different to a claim about FFVIIR.

As to your 2nd point, it just means people will be pleasantly surprised!

Yes good point. I'm expecting the console to be announced in the next 6 months, so not too much longer to wait!
I’ll let you all in on a secret. I am probably 100% wrong. I saw a rumor a while back about Zelda from Jeff Grubb. Saying, *something* Zelda will be shown or announced this year.

The mass audience thinks “Wind Waker” or “twilight Princess” or “DLC”. SECERTLY, I immediately thought a “SWITCH 2 Zelda tech demo”. Nintendo typically shows a tech demo with each Nintendo console since GameCube. Each one has starred Legend of Zelda.

As always, time will tell!

Yeah, I'm not sure why so many here on GAF like to shit on the Switch so much. Yes, it does have weak hardware for 2023, but it's a 2017 handheld after all which is definitely much more capable than the PS3 though, and we've seen that with the most recent RDR port which runs at better frame-rate (locked 30fps) and resolution (1080p in docked mode) than the PS3 version. And then there's other exceptional ports like Alien Isolation which looks much closer to the PS4 version than the PS3. I could go on and on, so hope people get my point.

mrcroket

Uh Huh Sure GIF

This is Nitendo we are talking about who purposely downclock any available chipset significantly to nearly half its compute ability, they will prioritize the cheapest possible apu in the spec profile and prioritize battery life via downclocking. Honestly, we would be lucky to get pixel grunt slightly above a ps4 but dlss would have it punch above its weight but a next gen console it is not.
If it have a ps4 power (nearly 2tflops) and DLSS surely it could reach PS5 performance using 1440p scaled from 720p with dlss performance mode (in games with native 1440p on PS5). And if you look at nvidia's chips for mobile devices, they could achieve this even with nintendo's usual downclocks.

Michele

you.
Yuck, I hate that Resetera site, but that being said about the switch thing, if it's true, we are going to eat well. I heard some rumors about the disk space on Switch 2 being like 512 GB which if true is going to be sizeable upgrade. Wonder if it will be time for some gacha games (like Genshin) release on Switch...

Last edited:

Personally, I think it was a miracle because Nintendo is generally known to not exactly provide their hardware with cutting edge or the latest technology. People speculating if the Switch 2 will even be comparable to the antiquated PS4 in the rumored release date of 2024 should speak volumes.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Personally, I think it was a miracle because Nintendo is generally known to not exactly provide their hardware with cutting edge or the latest technology. People speculating if the Switch 2 will even be comparable to the antiquated PS4 in the rumored release date of 2024 should speak volumes.
PS3 was cutting edge in 2017. Hmmm...

Dorfdad

Gold Member
I can believe it alot of you don’t seem to understand how Nintendo does things. They can easily have designed a FSR/DLSS solution that is built directly into their toolset with hardware to upscale 720p to 1440p pretty easily.

I wouldn’t put it past them to be forcing dlls solutions instead of an entirely new gpu solution.

Woopah

If people think it's a miracle that Switch was stronger than a PS3, or that Switch 2 will be comparable to a PS4, then that speaks volumes about people not understanding Nintendo.

Last edited:

SSfox

Lmao

If it ever be on PS4 level you should already be happy, considering the history of Nintendo consoles

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
I mean the game runs pretty well on the Steam Deck afaik - it even had an official commercial for it. The Switch 2 is going to be faster than the Steam Deck I'd imagine.

Woopah

Wait. So the sequel is going to be on Switch 2 launch day or the original?
The original, though wouldn't be surprised if the sequel got a port a few years from now.
I’ll let you all in on a secret. I am probably 100% wrong. I saw a rumor a while back about Zelda from Jeff Grubb. Saying, *something* Zelda will be shown or announced this year.

The mass audience thinks “Wind Waker” or “twilight Princess” or “DLC”. SECERTLY, I immediately thought a “SWITCH 2 Zelda tech demo”. Nintendo typically shows a tech demo with each Nintendo console since GameCube. Each one has starred Legend of Zelda.

As always, time will tell!
I'm fairly certain the "Zelda thing" was the Oracle games coming to NSO.

last time, it was PS4/PS4 Pro quality without DLSS. Now it's PS5. Next time, it will be Top PC quality. BELIEVE.

Every time the same. A new Nintendo hardware on the Horizon always ridiculous hardware expectations. The thirst after top notch hardware must be real.

Let's get real Nintendo will never release good hardware again like they did with the Gamecube.

Nintendo doesn't want to subsidize any hardware either.

mystech

IMO this actually sounds pretty doable for the following reasons:

1. FF7 remake was originally a PS4 game. The Switch 2 should give us power somewhere between PS4 and PS4 Pro (maybe closer to pro when docked). Plus the switch 2 should have more Ram, a better cpu and faster memory than either PS4 model. Also let’s not pretend FF7R on PS5 looked that much better than the PS4 version. It certainly looked great not a night and day difference.

2. Assuming the Switch 2 has DLSS (which Nintendo would be stupid to not implement) that would mean the game only needs to run at around 720p internally and then DLSS can do the heavy lifting to get us to 4K or near 4K resolution. As someone who has worked in game development, I can tell you lowering the internal resolution can make a HUGE difference in performance with modern games. The ability to run Switch 2 games at a much lower resolution (and the fact that DLSS is much better than FSR) may even give switch 2 a chance at getting some of the current gen multi platform games (depending on ram).

3. The Wii-Switch era was all overseen by Mr. Iwata (rip). They introduced some fun ideas but Nintendo is now under new management and the gaming landscape has changed. Just think of how many 3rd party companies that existed back when the Switch launched are now owned by either Sony or Microsoft.

While I don’t think Nintendo will stray too far from what they’ve done before, I also think Nintendo will be smart enough to develop their system in a way that gets them decent 3rd party support. Especially since there are now other handhelds like the Steam Deck. With that in mind, I’m expecting Nintendo to deliver something that’s not nearly as underpowered as they have gone in the past and since Nvidia has made a ton of advancements over the past 7 years, there’s a big chance this thing really could have PS4 power in handheld mode, PS4 Pro power in docked mode plus DLSS2 and maybe even DLSS3 not to mention some capacity for raytracing.

I may eat my words, but we might actually get a Nintendo system with good graphics this generation… Nowhere near PS5 / SX levels but still good.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
With DLSS capable hardware it could happen. We still have no idea what hardware the Switch 2 will have to make any assumptions.
Also take into consideration that’s they may be referring to how it looks on a 8 inch 1080p screen! A clean 1080p 60fps game would look as good as a 1440p / 2160p on a tv

SaintALia

"FF7R looks and runs like a PS5 game on Switch 2 devkit."

Not sure why a statement like this would trigger 'bullshit' tbh.

PS5 FF7 can run at 4k or 60fps performance mode, cut out those two and with the rumours of what Switch 2 specs is like, and with DLSS, yeah, it could 'LOOK' like the PS5 version(it's not like he went all D. Foundry and started listing off the technical details that are a 1:1 match for the PS5 version or something).

It is SE as well, and it's not like they can't make gorgeous looking games on any kind of hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom