• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LiveLeak is no more (replaced w/ItemFix)

kaiju

RIP LiveLeak

https://mashable.com/article/liveleak-dead-shut-down/

Infamous video sharing website LiveLeak is dead, shutting down on Wednesday after 15 years of nightmare fuel and trauma. Sorry if you wanted to see a brutal murder for some reason.

Founded in 2006 by the team behind gore site Ogrish, LiveLeak was notorious for hosting graphic videos of real violence — including Saddam Hussein's execution and the beheading of journalist James Foley. The shock site had a laissez faire attitude toward such content, reveling in the gory clips that sites such as YouTube prohibited. It also came under fire for hosting a film that argued the Quran encourages violence against non-Muslims.

However, as of May 5, the gore is no more. LiveLeak's website now redirects to Itemfix, a new service allowing users to post and edit video, audio, and images.

In a statement on the Itemfix website, LiveLeak co-founder Hayden Hewitt thanked his anonymous collaborators and expressed excitement at moving on to Itemfix.

"The world has changed a lot over these last few years, the Internet alongside it, and we as people," said Hewitt.

Though ostensibly run by members of the same team that ran LiveLeak, Itemfix's rules are a bit stricter when it comes to its content policy. Rather than evaluating graphic media on a "case by case basis," Itemfix explicitly prohibits "excessive violence or gory content."

Only time will tell how strictly this will be enforced.

Pour One Out Ellaria Sand GIF by Game of Thrones

Pejo

Gold Member
I mean it's not going to stop such content from existing, it's just going to find a new home. Glad the dude virtue signaled everyone on the way out though.

Though ostensibly run by members of the same team that ran LiveLeak, Itemfix's rules are a bit stricter when it comes to its content policy. Rather than evaluating graphic media on a "case by case basis," Itemfix explicitly prohibits "excessive violence or gory content."

Only time will tell how strictly this will be enforced.
The site went to shit already. It was basically YouTube with a few violent videos, here and there. With them being more strict, this site should go the way of the Dodo and become one of the many dead video sites.

The site went to shit already. It was basically YouTube with a few violent videos, here and there. With them being more strict, this site should go the way of the Dodo and become one of the many dead video sites.
Yeah what's the point? Atleast in the past they had their niche covered. I can't see this new shit is going to be anywhere as big as liveleak. I actually liked to watch clips over there from time to time (work/car accidents etc).

Yeah what's the point? Atleast in the past they had their niche covered. I can't see this new shit is going to be anywhere as big as liveleak. I actually liked to watch clips over there from time to time (work/car accidents etc).

I liked going there like once a month. It's enough time to let the new content build up and sift through the Newsflare junk, looking for the more interesting stuff.
I guess they are going after violence, now?

Outlier

I can understand peoples disdain for public forums where the horrors of reality are on display, but the facts of life are important to understand and witnessing them are a part of the process to understanding.

Ignorance is bliss, until the horror comes to you. I believe it is NOT good to indulge in this kind of content (mental trauma), but learning the truth about it is important, in case we are ever faced with these situations.

All I'll say is the cartel related videos out there have proved to me humanity is capable of monstrous things, that I never imagined.

With that said, there is a place for these things.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I saw a beheading video once, it wasn’t on live leak, it was on some random website, I clicked the video and didn’t know what it was at first, but it was up close and in HD and it shook me. I had to stop it midway through and I don’t behave a weak stomach for gore. This one has all the up close sounds and visuals. It was really bad.

I can understand peoples disdain for public forums where the horrors of reality are on display, but the facts of life are important to understand and witnessing them are a part of the process to understanding.

Ignorance is bliss, until the horror comes to you. I believe it is NOT good to indulge in this kind of content (mental trauma), but learning the truth about it is important, in case we are ever faced with these situations.

All I'll say is the cartel related videos out there have proved to me humanity is capable of monstrous things, that I never imagined.

I actually agree with you. It can be good to have perspective on the horrors of the world. It makes you appreciate how comfortable life is as a relatively well to do westerner.

Obviously it’s not for everyone. But for all of human history, the world has been a brutal place. Still is for many many people. We should keep that in mind.

Aggelos

Bestgore also went belly up back in November 2020.

"bestgore.com (stylized as BestGore.com and abbreviated BG) was a Canadian shock site owned by Mark Marek, which provided highly violent real-life news, photos and videos, with authored opinion and user comments. The site received media attention in 2012, following the hosting of a snuff film depicting the murder of Jun Lin. As a result, Marek was arrested and charged under Canada's obscenity law with corrupting public morals. "

These are basically 'reality check websites'. They bizarrely help you realize what kind of planet we're living on, they give you a brutal wake-up call. It's good to keep your head screwed on, be level-headed, sensible, and pragmatic about life and anything that happens on the so-called planet Earth. You need to have the shrewd awareness, experience, and resourcefulness needed for survival in the difficult urban environments of our planet.

reality check = An event or outcome that forces one to accept or reevaluate the reality of one's position or situation; an occasion that causes you to consider the facts about a situation and not your opinions, ideas, or beliefs.

fa45a26d56ddbc14f313632d78a561fe8c8212cb568a6c11fdcb78830517e9b5_1.jpg

xrnzaaas

For me it's kind of a sad day to see LiveLeak go away. Yes the main reason why people visited LiveLeak was to see death/serious injury videos, but in many cases it was related to touchy subjects like terrorism, gang wars or crimes commited by afroamericans - stuff that doesn't have a place on mainstream sites like youtube. You don't have to watch these videos just because you're a sick fuck who enjoys to see people die.

Jorav

I went from Ogrish to Liveleak to now where I get my gore fix from FB groups now. Kinda crazy they’re allowed to post links and such but I think in a way we as a society should not be desensitised to the horrors we are capable of. Otherwise we bitch and moan about less prudent things in life.

Keihart

Yeah, totally.... i mean, i kinda enjoy gory horror movies but the real stuff ? i've had enough with just a couple here and there, and honestly, reality it's worst than fiction most of the time. The shit people do in some of the lawless corners of the planet are beyond what we even dare to depict in fiction.

Luckily the internet it's still big enough that even now, that type of content can find a home, it'll just be hard as balls to sell adds on it lmao.

Loke

Budd Dwyer's suicide video was the first gore-related media that I saw back in the mid-2000's. Shocked me pretty badly.

Top Bottom