• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lords of the Fallen |OT| Not that one. The other one.

DavidGzz

Probably confused you for me.

I’m the certified looney who hates the game lol.

All my friends like it. I guess I have shit taste.

You're pretty far in the game too, right? You're powering through and at least attempting to like it. It isn't your fault and you're not just talking shit about the game without the experience. Thumbs up from me, man.

how is this game compared to lies of phil? for those that have played both?
Lies of P tries to do a Bloodborne/Sekiro hybrid with the combat, Lords of the Fallen is much closer to Dark Souls.

The world and NPC characters are better executed in Lords of the Fallen, imo. The dodge and parries also work like you would expect them to, unlike Lies of P which has a horrid dodge and parries.
Haven't gotten super deep yet to see where/how the combat truly shines, but the first hours have been fun.

Both aren't perfect but I personally prefer Lords of the Fallen much more. The game for sure needs patches to fix a handful of performance issues, but from what I've played so far, I'm going to see it through the whole way.
I ditched Lies of P after around 5-6 hours.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
You're pretty far in the game too, right? You're powering through and at least attempting to like it. It isn't your fault and you're not just talking shit about the game without the experience. Thumbs up from me, man.
Trying to not rage play games. If I’m having a bad time I simply move onto the next one.

I’m stuck without a backlog and while the game just pisses me off I’m trying to enjoy it…

If anyone is wondering what the “broken” weapon is IMO it’s the throwable axe. I’ve shit on so many bosses just walking backwards chucking axes from one side of a boss room to another.

SaniOYOYOY

the sending up elevator is such a small thing in dark soul but it made massive QOL improvement,
that not being here atm is my biggest critisism on the game

DavidGzz

Once I beat Pieta, I made a lot of progress. Just beat the last boss of the early access section that the streamers were able to reach before calling it. I haven't summoned any help yet and the bosses have been pretty satisfying. For me, this is basically a new Souls games with it's own vibe and cool two world mechanic and it's hard to quit playing. I keep wanting to see what's next.

I used a Pilgrims key in the area where you save the blacksmith and it was a high level area. I was able to kill a group by cheesing them with plunging attacks and making use of the ladder invincibility frames lol. I guess you have some when beginning to climb as well as when you get off at the top.

I used a Pilgrims key in the area where you save the blacksmith and it was a high level area. I was able to kill a group by cheesing them with plunging attacks and making use of the ladder invincibility frames lol. I guess you have some when beginning to climb as well as when you get off at the top.

That's the key that cost 9000 from the NPC in the church? Yeah, I rolled up in there like the cock of the walk and quickly got my ass handed to me lol. Still, I preserved and got some nice items exploring a bit of it, ambush of 3 spike head guys in the pit area made me quickly nope the fuck out though 😂

Last edited:
So played one hour on PC (3080, 5600x) and here are my impressions for what its worth-

• The performance is weird. In the sense that while its OK, DLSS moving from quality to balanced didnt seem to do anything to improve. Either that or there is some weird deadzone or acceleration or some fuckery going on with the controls which negates performance improvements and make it feel sluggish (am playing with a Xbox series controller). Maybe I should try mouse or disable all controller related 'enhancements' somehow.
  • Visuals are OK for now. Seems a bit washed out even though my TV (LG G2) is calibrated properly. Maybe further areas would be different/better.
  • By God does the game throw 100 tutorials/mechanics at you one after one. They really needed to space them out and introduce them slowly.
  • Apart from no backstabbing, combat is pretty similar to from games. Parrying was surprisingly easy on the first boss.

I am debating whether to wait for performance patches. Or if I can fix the controller issue that might help.

HDR is broken for sure in this. Good news is game looks a lot less washed out and sharper if you just turn it off.

DavidGzz

That's the key that cost 9000 from the NPC in the church? Yeah, I rolled up in there like the cock of the walk and quickly got my ass handed to me lol. Still, I preserved and got some nice items exploring a bit of it, ambush of 3 spike head guys in the pit area made me quickly nope the fuck out though 😂

Yeah, and I remember two other doors that required it but I don't remember where they were. Maybe I can manage in those areas. I only have a +3 two handed sword from that Skeletor guy closer to the beginning that shoots fire. I thought it was pretty badass until I entered that later area.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Bought the game (i hate myself), and i wanted to start with the deprived class but i have a question, am i gonna find enough weapons and armour before the first non-gimmick boss? or the game is stingy with loot before that moment?

Thanks.

DavidGzz

Bought the game (i hate myself), and i wanted to start with the deprived class but i have a question, am i gonna find enough weapons and armour before the first non-gimmick boss? or the game is stingy with loot before that moment?

Thanks.

Yeah, at least a cross that you can use as an axe pretty easy. I had 1 Dex/STR sword, crossaxe, and a two handed sword besides the weapon I started with before the boss. I farmed a good bit though cause she was kicking my ass.

GymWolf

Yeah, at least a cross that you can use as an axe pretty easy. I had 1 Dex/STR sword, crossaxe, and a two handed sword besides the weapon I started with before the boss. I farmed a good bit though cause she was kicking my ass.
How about armours? do i get even a shitty mixed set before the winged bitch? :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

After a busy weekend I'm back up in the mix, discovered this beautiful set in a treasure chest while exploring Umbral in the swamp:

kJTxmeU.jpg

I also discovered what I'm calling Advanced Umbral Tactics lol. Every time you enter Umbral you regain 50% health, with 50% as withered health. This means you can exploit entering Umbral to heal yourself without using a healing potion. Why? Because even if you enter Umbral with a *sliver of life* you will ALWAYS default to the above and there is no limit to the number of times you can do it.

Speaking of Umbral, once the Eye of Sauron reaches the halfway point XP bonus increases to 1.2x. Once it reaches 80% mark XP gain becomes 2X. Once it's full run for your fucking life because the grim reaper is coming for you (but XP gain becomes 3X)!

I've only attempted the swamp boss once, don't want to beat it until I've found a way to free the NPC in stone. There is an area I have no idea how to access, explored to bottom in both worlds, has a ladder I have yet to lower. Oh well, the search continues, I'll be annoyed if that area only becomes accessible *after* taking out the boss, maybe I should go kick his ass.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I can't disable the vsync because the slider is greyed out, off to a good start...

Last edited:

GymWolf

So the game already crashed twice after the first cutscene with the black dude, both fresh starts, and if i try to load the save, i can control my character but he can't get out from the water he is immersed from waist down...

Any solutions?

Last edited:

ssringo

I've only attempted the swamp boss once, don't want to beat it until I've found a way to free the NPC in stone. There is an area I have no idea how to access, explored to bottom in both worlds, has a ladder I have yet to lower. Oh well, the search continues, I'll be annoyed if that area only becomes accessible *after* taking out the boss, maybe I should go kick his ass.
Here's the solution to the stone NPC if you're stuck.

Stand next to her and cast a spell that removes status effects.

Last edited:
Here's the solution to the stone NPC if you're stuck.

Stand next to her and cast a spell that removes status effects.

Wow, I never look things up on my first playthrough and didn't want to click on your spoiler but glad I did, I thought I had to look for a quest item in the swamp lol, thanks 👍

More Advanced Umbral Tactics: lure enemy to a position that has an Umbral bridge. Raise lamp to make bridge appear. Wait for enemy to start crossing the bridge, lower lamp, bridge disappears, you win lol. Obviously needs to be a long enough fall/pit to work but was playing around with a powerful foe and I couldn't believe my idea worked, thought maybe AI (lol) was programmed so they wouldn't cross.

Also, I've never played a game where enemies get stuck in/on the environment as much as they do here, the jank is crazy, still loving it though!

Reactions: Isa

FunkMiller

As I haven’t had the time to finish Lies Of P yet, I think I’ll stick with that, and get this when they’ve hopefully worked out the kinks.

GymWolf

Ok running the exe inside the steam folder as an administrator did the trick.

Only played for like 10 min before i had to go lunch and first impressions are decent\good, the game look and feels better than i expected from watching yt gameplay and FOR NOW it run buttery smooth (but i'm still in the tutorial basically).

Parry window seems big compared to lop (thank god).

DavidGzz

Ok running the exe inside the steam folder as an administrator did the trick.

Only played for like 10 min before i had to go lunch and first impressions are decent\good, the game look and feels better than i expected from watching yt gameplay and FOR NOW it run buttery smooth (but i'm still in the tutorial basically).

Parry window seems big compared to lop (thank god).

That's good to hear!

Yeah, I am able to parry pretty often. The noise it makes is pretty satisfying. I really enjoy the combat in this game.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
So, just like with TLOU Part I on PC, I have no problem whatsoever with this game and the frame rate is smooth as heck. No stutters related to traversal, shaders, or anything else. That said, the game is extremely punishing on the hardware, especially in that other Umbral world. Running maxed out 3440x1440 on a 4090+13900K+32GB on an nvme ssd. Barely hovers above 60 in some areas.

Portugeezer

The sniping on Pilgrims Pearch is fucking insane. I died a couple times, but trying to make my way back quickly and just get sniped, through walls too...

• Thoughtful

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter

Not sure why you're quoting yourself but from what I've played so far, the game definitely isn't trash provided you don't have performance issues.

The original one in 2014 made some effort to differentiate itself from Souls games but this one makes almost none. I like it so far because it feels really, really close to a Souls game but some might be put off because it's so derivative.

My one fear was the performance but it runs better than any From game that I have played. The only stutters occur in cutscenes where they're pretty major.

S0ULZB0URNE

Not sure why you're quoting yourself but from what I've played so far, the game definitely isn't trash provided you don't have performance issues.
Because I am further emphasizing what I said after coming across this.
Regardless if one had performance issues or not.(hi zelda TOK) it's not trash.

SaniOYOYOY

Thanks.
I did start with deprived, and I had to kill the pieta with that wooden cross thing lol

Last edited:
I farmed a good bit though cause she was kicking my ass.
Yeah, I recommend everyone farm the first level for a few hours to really learn the combat and level up a few times before reaching Pieta. The combat is really satisfying once it clicks. I started with the Hallowed Knight class and I'm loving it. Decent shield, sword and armor to start the game and I invested three points in radiance so that I could cast the healing spell and throw long range radiance attacks. Having a blast!!

Man...I almost bought that damn key last night, but 9k vigor is a lot. I passed on buying it because I read that you get it for free later on, but I don't know if I can wait on freeing the blacksmith.

ssringo

Thought I'd drop info on a nice little farm spot I stumbled on. Set up a seed vestige and farmed this enemy for the armor set and found out he also drops large shards (the first I've come across) and a Relox rune which increases charged damage (weapon) or poise (shield). If you're using the rabbit foot for item discovery you can buy them for 500 vigor from the traveling merchant. Unfortunately the buff doesn't last through rests and you only get ~450 vigor per kill so it's a slight loss if you go that route (I didn't bother). It's a decently quick farm (took me ~30 seconds per kill) and you only have to deal with the primary enemy and maybe a couple mook zombies if you're slow on the kill. Going umbral of course makes it a little rougher but the respawn is right there if you die.

Screens and enemy info.

Lower Calrath

Entrance in Lower Calrath
Bed of Flowers in upper right stairs
Easy farm of The Ruiner as a normal enemy

I'm wearing the armor set in the screens. Gives 459 fire resistance and is a mix of heavy/medium pieces. Got a couple Relox runes, 6 large shards and 3-4 levels worth of vigor when getting the armor set.

Took a break to post this and eat lunch. Gonna feel dumb if large shards start popping up right after this...

Last edited:

Portugeezer

The original one in 2014 made some effort to differentiate itself from Souls games but this one makes almost none. I like it so far because it feels really, really close to a Souls game but some might be put off because it's so derivative.

My one fear was the performance but it runs better than any From game that I have played. The only stutters occur in cutscenes where they're pretty major.
The game is great, it has its issues of course, but a 5/10 is spitting at the developers faces.

GymWolf

So i don't know if i'm being lucky but the game on my end continue to run buttery smooth after around 4 hours of gameplay, it run as good as lop basically, maybe a slightly bit worse.

The game is...kinda good?

Started deprived and the game is not that hard (but it can be infuriating sometimes), i smacked pieta after 5-6 tries, and i explored a lot so now i have weapons, armours, catalyst etc, so for people who want to start as deprived but they fear a big challenge, go for it.

I'm not against fighting a lot of enemies since the game is more fast paced than your average souls (it kinda plays like BB with ds variety build) but i have 2 problems:

taking damage after a perfect block is one of the most idea ever and i'm gonna stop there...
they overuse fighting over ledges or places you can fall off, the combat is decent enough to not use these cheap tricks

If the level design change a bit i can see having fun with this one, for now it's...slighty better than decent almost edgying into good territory.

I don't get the complain about too many tutorials or lantern being busy work, when you digest everything it's pretty smooth although it use a lot of buttons, but being clunky is kinda a souls requisite, fromsoft ui\control scheme is not the smoothest neither.

P.s. of course as a tradition i lost almost 7000 souls (the one you get by killing pieta) like a dumb fuck :lollipop_squinting:

Last edited:

GymWolf

I also discovered what I'm calling Advanced Umbral Tactics lol. Every time you enter Umbral you regain 50% health, with 50% as withered health. This means you can exploit entering Umbral to heal yourself without using a healing potion. Why? Because even if you enter Umbral with a *sliver of life* you will ALWAYS default to the above and there is no limit to the number of times you can do it.

Speaking of Umbral, once the Eye of Sauron reaches the halfway point XP bonus increases to 1.2x. Once it reaches 80% mark XP gain becomes 2X. Once it's full run for your fucking life because the grim reaper is coming for you (but XP gain becomes 3X)!

I mean...you can use it once because then you have to find a statue to return into axiom, it's not like you can enter and exit umbral at will.

No, you can use it more than once by using multiple statues in any given area, it's best when your goal is to comb through a level looking for any treasures you missed or to simply farm xp, keeping a mental note of where those statues are located. You can literally *always* enter Umbral at will lol, it's the exit that's limited but the strategy still has utility.

I mean...you can use it once because then you have to find a statue to return into axiom, it's not like you can enter and exit umbral at will.

Dev1lXYZ

It's my current favorite too!

Just got another patch.
I’m enjoying this one a whole lot. The more time I put into it, the more I enjoy it. I wasn’t sure at the beginning if the lantern mechanic was good and after putting some more time into the game, it’s a great mechanic. This game really reminds me of Soul Reaver in many ways. Using the lantern to peer into the Umbral, gives me vibes like Stranger Things and the Upside Down. It’s really cool that sometimes when you use it the horrors revealed rear up and wince in reaction…..but look too long and the creature has pulled you into the Umbral, or sometimes….you can pull them into the living world Nancy v Freddy. When you stop to think about it, the game’s performance problems are understandable because it has to be streaming a lot of data at all times.

Last edited:
Once I beat Pieta, I made a lot of progress. Just beat the last boss of the early access section that the streamers were able to reach before calling it. I haven't summoned any help yet and the bosses have been pretty satisfying. For me, this is basically a new Souls games with it's own vibe and cool two world mechanic and it's hard to quit playing. I keep wanting to see what's next.

this's been my gaming bottom line for a while now. everything else is irrelevant. you want to see what comes next? keep playing. you don't care what comes next? bail...

How does ammo increase, I feel like I have more than before but I don't remember upgrading it? Is it level based?
You increase your ammo capacity by investing points in Endurance and/or Vitality. Also, did you change what type you’re throwing? The different types of ammunition use different amounts on the meter.

Last edited:

SaniOYOYOY

Im at 1/3 of the game, went agi build and had 45... Bought the 9000soul key and stroll around in that lategameish area. Loot this very strong hammer throwable thing.

It deals 700 dmg to bosses lol

Top Bottom