• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost Planet 3 |OT| Yes the game exists and yes it’s coming out soon.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Preordered the Jim's Good Morning Edition.

EDIT:

I'm sorry for taking up the top of the page with my stupid post, here's Karak's nice review:

Review(redband with a couple cuss words:)

Spoilered just because, no plot points are given away.
Long and short of it.

Pros
Way more enjoyable than I thought.
Departure from games 1 and 2 in some of the gameplay choices
Music is amazing
Overall gameplay is good
Voice acting and animation is spot on. Love the main actor and his type of character.

Cons
FPS during some cut-scenes and heavy particle effects
Hook doesn't work everywhere but that makes it a bit less chaotic(which is ok with me)
Too many loading screens in the main location
Slower pace and side quests may frustrate those looking for constant action.

Verdict:
I suggest people buy it on sale. Its not bad, in fact its surprisingly robust but its a departure from the first 2 which means its up in the air if people will enjoy it.
I felt that the slower pace, side quests, atmosphere, and overall tone was very interesting.
I do not feel my money was poorly spent, not at all, but i know expectations are mixed on this one and I think reactions will be as well.

Karak

No surprise there, it was composed by Jack Wall of Mass Effect fame.

If this game is as good as Karak says, it's even more of a shame that Capcom sent it out to die. It hasn't even cracked the top 20 on steam!

Not great or anything. I stand solidly next to a "wait for a sale" verdict. It does have its issues, but even though I am currently swamped with games I never felt the need to rush and I went into it like I do with all games. With almost no expectations. I have been around long enough to see sequels suck and sequels be great.

Thanks for the review Karak!

Seems like it could be an interesting game after all.

Our other reviewer said something that has stuck with me all day. He basically said that the moments of slow bits, and the side questing gave him a feel like Freelancer. Freelancer is very solitary and sometimes you were out there flying around in space collecting stuff and trying to make money. This copies that but in the wastelands. I actually see what he means.

Also it was flat out amazing to hear that music selection in the mech with the ipod. Jezuz. There are a couple tracks that just work so perfectly with the game.

I would say that my largest disappointment was that the mech bits are just "ok". It looked awesome and was awesome but its a ponderous bitch and without weapons you are stuck using the drill and some basic attacks. Its not bad and I think some people will like that trade off of speed versus just pure bulk. But I was frustrated sometimes.

Kumo

I remember seeing a gameplay trailer for this a while back and thinking how generic it looked. Has the game changed at all since then?

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I remember seeing a gameplay trailer for this a while back and thinking how generic it looked. Has the game changed at all since then?

From the sounds of it thus far, and what we've seen, it seems that the game falls under the category of generic but solid. Perhaps with the likes of Binary Domain?

Karak

Haven't heard much about this, does this version have any of those cool DX10/11 effects the others had?

Not that I noticed though the boss battles were suitably massive. The mechs are larger and slower(rigs in this game).
Some cool cloth physics were in there but I can't remember any amazing bits.

From the sounds of it thus far, and what we've seen, it seems that the game falls under the category of generic but solid. Perhaps with the likes of Binary Domain?

Pretty much. If the atmosphere grabs you, you will probably enjoy it. If it doesn't you will find yourself wondering if you like it.
I just sort of pretended I was some dude trying to 'pay da bills' and went with it.
Also again got to throw a kudo out to the voice actor of the main character. That dude makes what could be a VERY boring character far more interesting though it took me a while to 'get him'.

Our other reviewer said something that has stuck with me all day. He basically said that the moments of slow bits, and the side questing gave him a feel like Freelancer. Freelancer is very solitary and sometimes you were out there flying around in space collecting stuff and trying to make money. This copies that but in the wastelands. I actually see what he means.

Also it was flat out amazing to hear that music selection in the mech with the ipod. Jezuz. There are a couple tracks that just work so perfectly with the game.

The fact that the game is going for a bit of a contemplative mood instead of just non-stop action has me pretty interested. Much more so than if it was standard action fare through and through.

Karak

The fact that the game is going for a bit of a contemplative mood instead of just non-stop action has me pretty interested. Much more so than if it was standard action fare through and through.

Ya. I was actually somewhat puzzled by what was going on at first. I mean there is action and plenty of it, even right away. But you can just feel it. I mean one second I was using the mech to break ice off drills during storms, then next I was leaping out and repairing pipes, then I was shooting bad guys, then exploring. It was...odd. Good but odd.
I think some people will just call it boring and move on without seeing what there is too offer. Like evil flying vaginasaurs. Jeez the monsters in this game. Yuck.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Binary Domain had real soul, though. Seriously, the characters and crazy story telling were super memorable and the combat felt unique due to the way enemies reacted to gunfire.

The enemies of Lost Planet were always pretty shit and things don't seem much different here. We'll see, though.

Despite my negativity I'm pulling for the game. I'd like to see it turn out to be decent.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I think I'd be more excited for this game if it had better looking characters. I find the art style incredibly unappealing, but I've enjoyed the LP games so far and all the footage I've seen has looked like it's right up my alley. It's just those damned characters. So ugly.

Tapejara

Mixed reviews, but it sounds like the kind of game I would enjoy. Too bad I have to pick between LP3 and Killer is Dead.

Dang0

IGN's review is up.

THE VERDICT

Lost Planet 3 at least has a respectable story and some combat variety to it, even if the pieces don’t always come together quite right. Jumping in and out of the mech keeps it from being just another cover-based shooter. If not for level design that’s full of frustrating inconsistencies, it might even have been good enough to fully recommend.

OKAY
It tells a good story and mixes up combat with a giant mech, but Lost Planet 3 is just too inconsistent.  

+Strong acting
+Combat variety
– Inconsistent level design
– Dull shooting
– Passive mech combat

My thoughts summed up in one picture so far:

PLdhyGvl.jpg

Ok no not really. The intro is pretty slow and the story is def a focus in this title. I played a good hour without too much crazy stuff happening. I don't mind this if the story pays off along with the character relationships. The framerate seems to take a dive when snow particles and lots of enemies are on screen. I love the feeling of being in the mechs for sure. So far only first person though, not sure if it stays that way the entire game or we get some third person at all. Aiming feels a bit loose. Didn't try to tighten it up in the options during the stream. Other then that. Not a terrible game by any means and surprisingly decent from Sparks. Will play more over the week and work on a video review for my youtube channel.

Pooya

There isn't a generator on E.D.N. III that doesn't need to be repaired, a locked door that doesn't need a trip to the security system's manual override, or a megabyte of data that isn't corrupted yet thankfully backed up on the other side of the base. The sense throughout is of a much shorter game being padded to the point of suffocation - leading to wearying trials like manually overriding a locked-down cargo elavator carrying your rig for each of the five floors it must ascend, or fighting the same bullet-sponge boss three times in 15 minutes.

This is also where the game starts to feel less finished. Most of this is cosmetic stuff, like terrible lip-syncing during cut-scenes or buggy character behaviour heading into them, but some is more serious. My battle against a giant Akrid who just wouldn't die was an infuriating 20 minutes followed by a reload in which his glowing weak point suddenly seemed considerably weaker, while my favourite weapon in the game - an explosive crossbow named the Valkyrie - comes with a considerable caveat: sometimes the splash damage from an impact would hurt me from across the room for absolutely no reason I could ascertain.

It's worrying when the nicest thing you can say about a game is that the early sections manage to be boring in an interesting way, but it's true for Lost Planet 3. It's a game that manages to make third-person shooting feel like work - and one that makes work feel like something that more games should explore.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-08-27-lost-planet-3-review

4/10

It sounds like it's more favorable if you like narrative driven games. Narrative was never the reason I played LP, although the lore was always interesting, also I find that LP3 as a whole kinda negates the events of LP1-2. Especially considering that during LP1 there were actually cities around that were abandoned. But I guess you'd have to play to find out.

The gameplay doesn't sound fast paced and frentice (you guys even said it's slower paced lol) so for me it's a big con, especially if it's not carrying the gameplay mechanics of the first two. So I'll be skipping it, then probably watch a playthrough on Youtube or something.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
It sounds like it's more favorable if you like narrative driven games. Narrative was never the reason I played LP, although the lore was always interesting, also I find that LP3 as a whole kinda negates the events of LP1-2. Especially considering that during LP1 there were actually cities around that were abandoned. But I guess you'd have to play to find out.

The gameplay doesn't sound fast paced and frentice (you guys even said it's slower paced lol) so for me it's a big con, especially if it's not carrying the gameplay mechanics of the first two. So I'll be skipping it, then probably watch a playthrough on Youtube or something.

It's actually a prequel to Lost Planet 1 and 2 storywise.

Karak

It's actually a prequel to Lost Planet 1 and 2 storywise.

Ya and though it is not in your face, there is a good deal of storytelling going on where you can really see the future world in this game based in the past. Fairly well done actually.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Going off of Karak's review footage, it looks like they changed the shooting to be more like the previous games or has it always been like that? I remember the first gameplay footage I saw of this game had a more traditional aiming system like Dead Space.

Protome

So, I just bought Lost Planet 2 because people in this thread said it's not completely terrible, which I was under the impression it was until now...

Top Bottom